South Dakota Battleship Alabama

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Hunter_Steel #41 Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:06 PM

Commander

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

View Postdseehafer, on 16 March 2017 - 07:05 PM, said:

Bismarck was not a treaty battleship as the Germans did not attempt to fit her within the 35,000t weight limit. And she did not sacrifice firepower, the 15" rifles she used were literally the best naval rifles available to them. It's not like the German designers were sitting in a room saying "Right then, 15" guns or 16" guns? Well, we've used too much armor so I guess we'll have to settle for 15" guns" In fact, as designed Bismarck was originally meant to have 13" guns, so if anything her firepower was increased to the best available. The Germans sacrificed nothing, at least not intentionally.

I dont know how SODAKs armor scheme is "VERY good" when her belt was thinner than all other 1930s battleships and is also the only 1930s battleship with no internal longitudinal armor. Having said as much, her turret and deck armor is superb. You say Iowa sacrifices defense for Speed, dont SODAK and Iowa share the same armor scheme? Granted Iowa's belt is a whopping 3mm thinner and her main deck is 2mm thinner but Iowa's turret faces are 51mm thicker than SD's and Iowa's barbettes are 135mm thicker and Iowa's transverse bulkheads are 81mm thicker. In the end Iowa's armor advantages are pretty significant (51-135mm difference) where her disadvantages are hardly noticeable (2-4mm difference). Unless there's something I'm missing?

Iowa is hugely underarmored for her size. Infact, her armor scheme is quite poor for a ship that's 270m long. Although I understand her size and length was to allow her to break 33kts.

She also cannot defend herself from her own guns, but she's capable of defending herself from the 16/45 Mark 6. Just guns with the same capacity to damage things as her 16/50 Mark 7s will absolutely destroy her.

On the terms of Bismarck, her guns are too small for her size. This is due to Germany's inefficient loading mechanisms. She had the capacity for 16inch guns, but Germany hadn't made those yet intime for Bismarck's construction, but they had 15inch guns ready. (Since the Scharnhorst class was supposed to get an upgrade to the 15s, but looming wartime and the Z plan stopped that from happening.)

And what else are you missing? An totally inadequate armor scheme on Bismarck. Good upclose and capable of withstanding ANYTHING the British can since Britain lost the plot on Naval power after WWI.

~Hunter

Signature Made by Abyssal_Flagship

Forum's General Fusou Hater

Ships: Battleships: Izumo, Nagato, Scharnhorst, Bayern, ARP Kirishima, ARP Haruna, ARP Hiei, ARP Kongou and, Arkansas Beta. Cruisers:, ARP Haguro, ARP Myoukou, ARP Ashigara, Emerald.

Destroyers: Kagerou, Minsk, Hatsuharu, Kamikaze R, T-22.

Faerkhan #42 Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:34 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

Fantastic post! Have a +1. Fascinating to look at the damage comparison and see that when you die in WOWS you really deserve it. ;) Granted, the game doesn't account for the kind of system damage that SoDak had (electrical failure for example), but still I love the research. Nice work.

Faerkhan #43 Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:41 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

View PostCBSDracster, on 16 March 2017 - 11:12 AM, said:

Actually 6, maybe 7, torpedoes.

- 3 Aerial (only the famous one is generally known)

- 3 from Dorsetshire

- 1 claimed from Rodney

And really the only one of those torpedo hits that really mattered was the rudder shot.

Still took scuttling charges to sink the ship after all that. Of course the Brits would have sunk her eventually, but the damage Bismarck sustained while remaining afloat was absurd. Granted most of the armament was put out of action extremely early, but still, it's a testament to the armor scheme for sure.

MVPBluntman #44 Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:58 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

You sir, make me want to give a biography for my state ship the Massachusetts.

"Ense Petit Placidam Sub Libertate Quietem"

Edit: heres a nice read up on the naval battle of Casablanca

http://kd0nhm.blogsp...casablanca.html

Edited by MVPBluntman, 21 March 2017 - 02:09 PM.

This is the pleb alt. It's not worthy of the Beta Tester notoriety.

"Salt is my middle name, what is yours?"

Also tagged with South Dakota, Battleship, Alabama

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users