A Look at South Dakota's Battle Damage in World of Warships

South Dakota Battleship Alabama

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

CBSDracster #21 Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:56 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

If you want an eye opener, look at USS San Francisco, a New Orleans-class heavy cruiser, after the Battle of Guadalcanal, 13Nov42. Here's a teaser...22 fires.

https://www.history.navy.mil/research/library/online-reading-room/title-list-alphabetically/w/war-damage-reports/uss-sanfrancisco-ca38-war-damage-report-no26.html

hipcanuck #22 Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:01 PM

Ensign

• Beta Testers

Very well done. In forums loaded with CV hate, troll threads and complaining this is certainly a breath of fresh air!

I wonder how much of a beating the Bismarck took lol.

Phoenix_jz #23 Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:05 PM

Commander

• Beta Testers

View PostCBSDracster, on 16 March 2017 - 08:56 AM, said:

If you want an eye opener, look at USS San Francisco, a New Orleans-class heavy cruiser, after the Battle of Guadalcanal, 13Nov42. Here's a teaser...22 fires.

https://www.history.navy.mil/research/library/online-reading-room/title-list-alphabetically/w/war-damage-reports/uss-sanfrancisco-ca38-war-damage-report-no26.html

Ohhhh yeah, some of those USN cruisers were absolutely shredded in those battles. 

View Posthipcanuck, on 16 March 2017 - 09:01 AM, said:

Very well done. In forums loaded with CV hate, troll threads and complaining this is certainly a breath of fresh air!

That'd be an interesting one... soon many 33% pens, I bet!

My "Directory of Threads" <-- Various threads I've done you might find interesting, feel free to check it out!

​Most recent addition: USN Cruiser Split

khaenn35 #24 Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:25 PM

Admiral of the Navy

• Members

View PostPhoenix_jz, on 16 March 2017 - 10:05 PM, said:

Ohhhh yeah, some of those USN cruisers were absolutely shredded in those battles. 

Don't forget the torpedo he took! :P

Official Forum Elite Admiral  o7 

Good luck, Captains! May the winds blow in your favour, and may your shells fly straight and true!

If you see me in a game, cover your eyes and ears cos I'm gonna suck. In fact, run like hell and hope we lose honorably. And burn your eyes after seeing my stats. 

#DetonateJingles

Dath_1 #25 Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:38 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostPhoenix_jz, on 16 March 2017 - 01:32 PM, said:

Thanks! I would definitely recommend Neptune's Inferno, by James D, Hornfischer. It's a great look at the overall naval actions around Guadalcanal, even if it does miss a few things.

Just read that last week and enjoyed it... sure felt bad for Atlanta though...

Cobraclutch #26 Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:44 PM

Commander

• Beta Testers

Awesome Read phoenix . Thanks for that + 1 

Hunter_Steel #27 Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:06 PM

Commander

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

Let us not forget, SoDak was the best of all the Treaty Battleships. There is no denying that she and her sisters were incredibly well built. And I doubt any nation could've come close to extremely well balanced design she represented. Many ships after her sacrificed defense for better firepower,(Yamato, her armor scheme was good, her armor... not so much.) or defense for speed (Iowa), or firepower for defense (Bismarck). 

But the SoDak class was literally, the best blend of all these things. Incredibly good guns, put onto a VERY good armor scheme, adequate speed (She counts as a fast battleship by British standards because she hits 27kts.), and good mobility.

Let us not forget that she holds the record for the most planes shot down in the war and is one of America's most highly decorated Warships.

In all honesty, I am really looking forward to when she is added to the game. Alabama might not be much to go on since SoDak was unique compared to her sisters.

~Hunter

Signature Made by Abyssal_Flagship

Forum's General Fusou Hater

Ships: Battleships: Izumo, Nagato, Scharnhorst, Bayern, ARP Kirishima, ARP Haruna, ARP Hiei, ARP Kongou and, Arkansas Beta. Cruisers:, ARP Haguro, ARP Myoukou, ARP Ashigara, Emerald.

Destroyers: Kagerou, Minsk, Hatsuharu, Kamikaze R, T-22.

CybrSlydr #28 Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:10 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers

Excellent, excellent write-up!  Really appreciate the effort you put into this!

CybrSlydr:  The poster you love to hate so you feel better about yourself.

World of Warships:  Video Game version of "Who's Line?..." where the rules are made up and the history doesn't matter.

CBSDracster #29 Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:12 PM

• Members

View Posthipcanuck, on 16 March 2017 - 09:01 AM, said:

View PostPhoenix_jz, on 16 March 2017 - 09:05 AM, said:

View Postkhaenn35, on 16 March 2017 - 09:25 AM, said:

Don't forget the torpedo he took! :P

Actually 6, maybe 7, torpedoes.

- 3 Aerial (only the famous one is generally known)

- 3 from Dorsetshire

- 1 claimed from Rodney

CybrSlydr #30 Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:13 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers

View PostHunter_Steel, on 16 March 2017 - 10:06 AM, said:

Let us not forget, SoDak was the best of all the Treaty Battleships. There is no denying that she and her sisters were incredibly well built. And I doubt any nation could've come close to extremely well balanced design she represented. Many ships after her sacrificed defense for better firepower,(Yamato, her armor scheme was good, her armor... not so much.) or defense for speed (Iowa), or firepower for defense (Bismarck). 

But the SoDak class was literally, the best blend of all these things. Incredibly good guns, put onto a VERY good armor scheme, adequate speed (She counts as a fast battleship by British standards because she hits 27kts.), and good mobility.

Let us not forget that she holds the record for the most planes shot down in the war and is one of America's most highly decorated Warships.

In all honesty, I am really looking forward to when she is added to the game. Alabama might not be much to go on since SoDak was unique compared to her sisters.

~Hunter

I wouldn't get too excited - I'm quite sure WG is just going to plop in the South Dakota as a literal copy of the Alabama minus the TDS and maybe some better AA.

Don't expect it to be very different.

CybrSlydr:  The poster you love to hate so you feel better about yourself.

World of Warships:  Video Game version of "Who's Line?..." where the rules are made up and the history doesn't matter.

khaenn35 #31 Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:17 PM

Admiral of the Navy

• Members

View PostCBSDracster, on 17 March 2017 - 12:12 AM, said:

Actually 6, maybe 7, torpedoes.

- 3 Aerial (only the famous one is generally known)

- 3 from Dorsetshire

- 1 claimed from Rodney

I was thinking about the Rodney's. :P

Official Forum Elite Admiral  o7 

Good luck, Captains! May the winds blow in your favour, and may your shells fly straight and true!

If you see me in a game, cover your eyes and ears cos I'm gonna suck. In fact, run like hell and hope we lose honorably. And burn your eyes after seeing my stats. 

#DetonateJingles

Phoenix_jz #32 Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:23 PM

Commander

• Beta Testers

Unfortunately, I am limited by the weapons that exist in game.

For example, because we know the damage Washington's 16" AP would do depending on the hit, one could figure out the damage done to Kirishima. However, since we don't have the damage of, say, a British aerial torpedo, it's hard to say how much damage they'd do to a Bismark or Littorio.

My "Directory of Threads" <-- Various threads I've done you might find interesting, feel free to check it out!

Granitebeard #33 Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:40 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Alpha Tester

Great post, but I have to know, Why did you choose HE for some shells when they would have more then likely be AP in the game, and vice versa? Is it just to add damage or what? Realistically it would of been one type (most likely AP as far as our game goes) but in game would show most of the 14"s being AP and the 8"s and probably anything smaller would be mostly HE on a BB. Not trying to discredit this, just trying to understand the reasoning.

Phoenix_jz #34 Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:04 PM

Commander

• Beta Testers

View PostGranitebeard, on 16 March 2017 - 11:40 AM, said:

Great post, but I have to know, Why did you choose HE for some shells when they would have more then likely be AP in the game, and vice versa? Is it just to add damage or what? Realistically it would of been one type (most likely AP as far as our game goes) but in game would show most of the 14"s being AP and the 8"s and probably anything smaller would be mostly HE on a BB. Not trying to discredit this, just trying to understand the reasoning.

I didn't choose the shells that hit. The types used were what type were fired, and where they hit, in the battle. The 14" HE hit on South Dakota's belt isn't HE because I decided it should be HE and not AP, it's HE because that's the type of shell that hit her belt in the battle. :)

What I've done is basically translate the damage South Dakota received into the game's method of damage. None of the impacts or shell types used were my choice/decision, but rather they shell types that actually hit her in the battle.

dseehafer #35 Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:05 PM

Rear Admiral

• Beta Testers

View PostHunter_Steel, on 16 March 2017 - 09:06 AM, said:

~Hunter

Bismarck was not a treaty battleship as the Germans did not attempt to fit her within the 35,000t weight limit. And she did not sacrifice firepower, the 15" rifles she used were literally the best naval rifles available to them. It's not like the German designers were sitting in a room saying "Right then, 15" guns or 16" guns? Well, we've used too much armor so I guess we'll have to settle for 15" guns" In fact, as designed Bismarck was originally meant to have 13" guns, so if anything her firepower was increased to the best available. The Germans sacrificed nothing, at least not intentionally.

I dont know how SODAKs armor scheme is "VERY good" when her belt was thinner than all other 1930s battleships and is also the only 1930s battleship with no internal longitudinal armor. Having said as much, her turret and deck armor is superb. You say Iowa sacrifices defense for Speed, dont SODAK and Iowa share the same armor scheme? Granted Iowa's belt is a whopping 3mm thinner and her main deck is 2mm thinner but Iowa's turret faces are 51mm thicker than SD's and Iowa's barbettes are 135mm thicker and Iowa's transverse bulkheads are 81mm thicker. In the end Iowa's armor advantages are pretty significant (51-135mm difference) where her disadvantages are hardly noticeable (2-4mm difference). Unless there's something I'm missing?

CREATOR OF THE "A DETAILED LOOK AT" AND THE "WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE??" SERIES!! 

KlnDiJZ.gif

"The whole strategy of the war turns at this period to this ship (the Tirpitz), which is holding four times the number of British capital ships paralyzed, to say nothing of the two new American battleships retained in the Atlantic."

- Winston Churchill

Lert #36 Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:07 PM

Admiral

• Supertester
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

Nicely done, OP.

(Above stats not guaranteed accurate. I'm a supertester and test ships don't always register correctly)

Ship hipster: I liked Alabama before it was cool

lemekillmister #37 Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:38 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

Very nice. 

I'm a spudman, I got eyes all around.

Lampshade_M1A2 #38 Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:17 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

View PostCybrSlydr, on 16 March 2017 - 11:13 AM, said:

I wouldn't get too excited - I'm quite sure WG is just going to plop in the South Dakota as a literal copy of the Alabama minus the TDS and maybe some better AA.

Don't expect it to be very different.

Not that most people would find it very exciting but I would like to see the middle hull have the unusual AA mix she had for a time with 20mm, 1.1" (28mm), and 40mm guns.

Of course AA would be much cooler to begin with if there were better visual effects.

Hot_tamale25 #39 Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:37 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostCBSDracster, on 16 March 2017 - 01:56 PM, said:

Poor Quincy got the living crap beat out of her at Savo

shan5481 #40 Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:56 PM

• Members

Perhaps you can do this with the Yamato and Mushashi and Tirp/Bismark. (They probably need more HP or you could bring the heal factor back in mind!)

This was really well done! More Please!!!

Also tagged with South Dakota, Battleship, Alabama

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users