Do British Cruisers Make Other Lines Pale in Comparison?

British Cruisers Compare Comparison Line Cruiser Cruiser Line Cruiser Lines

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Poll: Do British Cruisers Make Other Cruisers Pale in Comparison (81 members have cast votes)

Do British Cruisers Take the Fun Out of Playing Other Cruiser Lines

1. Yes (10 votes [12.35%])

Percentage of vote: 12.35%

2. No (63 votes [77.78%])

Percentage of vote: 77.78%

3. What's a cruiser? (1 vote [1.23%])

Percentage of vote: 1.23%

4. I don't care, but I want BACON (7 votes [8.64%])

Percentage of vote: 8.64%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

Peacemaker100 #1 Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:33 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Warning: wall of text.  TL;DR at end.  Plus a bonus P.S.

When I first started WoWS, I went up the IJN bb, ca, and dd lines.  I progressed up to Aoba pretty quick, slowed down while playing Fuso and Nagato (first t7 ship I got I believe) and Mutsuki/Hatsu.  My cruiser playing took a real backseat once I got Amagi (unlocked Izumo before Mogami, even though I started IJN bbs, cas, and dds at the same time).  It was only when I got Takao that new life was brought back to IJN cruisers, but not because of the heal.  It was really because of the forward facing torps.  Unfortunately, those games where I got to torp a bb or 2 were few and far between, but a Nurnberg helped change that.  I came around an island where a Nurn sat waiting at 4km.  I came around expecting to troll him with HE.  I was dead wrong.  1 salvo and 20k hp gone.  BB fire finished me off.  It was then that I started using AP.  Then I started using Takao, and later Atago, as a cruiser brawler.  Citting Fijis at 10km, and getting cits on Hippers at 5 km was more fun.  Unfortunately, those games too were few and far between.  Especially in t10 games, no one wanted to get close.  I was only able to spam HE.

Enter the Santa Event, which gave me Leander.  I rapidly fell in love with her.  Who needs HE at 15km when you can AP at 10.  Who needs armor when you have smoke?  I went up Leander like a bullet, and it's only been getting better (at Edinburgh, close to Neptune).  I'm now at Ibuki, but Edinburgh's so much more fun.  It's hilarious when I charge into cap, a bunch of people start focusing me, and I pop smoke and vanish.  Then I proceed to nuke the dds in cap with hydro and make my escape (rinse and repeat).  Melting bbs while in smoke is hilarious, hydroing dds is hilarious, citting helpless cruisers is hilarious.  Even if I have a bad game (40k), I have a ton of fun.  And then there are the monster games where I delete a full hp Fletcher and torp a full hp Balti.  On top of melting a Monty and torping it in the face.  On top of raping a Bis with AP (netted me 2.7k base xp I think, bottom tier FTW).  And I have monster games, or at least good games, pretty frequently.  They're fun and exciting, torpbeating a Benson's wall of skill, dodging a bb to get close and torp, wiggling your tail when radar hits.  Wins and losses, most every game is fun.

Oh yeah.  I forgot the one game where I was in a pretty beat up Leander and had a full hp Benson firing at me (6-8km I think).  A few salvos later, I'd only lost 1k hp or so, while the Benson had lost 3/4 of his hp.  Only the island coming between us saved him.  Who says bottom tier can't [edited] face?

In light of all that, I've found that the rest of the cruiser lines have started to pale in comparison.  In no other cruiser line can I rush cap.  Can't actively get close to dds either.  I have no get out of jail free card or invisibility cloak (more like 4 of them).  And I don't have super heals (full hp to 4k then back to 3/4 FTW!!!).  And I have 3 of them, starting a tier lower than all other cruisers get their heals.

The RN line is countered by literally everything: bb cits, cruiser radar/hydro and WAY better armor, dd concealment + torp walls of doom BUT

In proper situations, RN counters the everliving [edited]out of any of them.  It's fun getting into those situations, and even if it doesn't work out perfectly, even if it goes to hell, it's still fun.  You got outplayed, but you still get to brawl, even if its one salvo before the bb hammer of doom.  And when it does work, it works wonders.  Nuking dds is insanely fun, particularly since it means 1 less dd to spoil my BB melting.

Especially after playing Edin, my disappointment playing Yorck and Schors has been profound.  One turns like a rudderless bb while the other has huge guns and horrible HE.  They rely on fire dmg too much, but it takes so long to light 1 fire (either that or RNG hates me).  In addition, most of the hits to the superstructure, at least for Schors, are shatters (maybe I suck at aiming).  The rest of the time you're wiggling and camping islands.

Even when an RN CL is bottom tier, it can carry.  My Edin has carried quite a few games, bottom tier or not.  It seems much harder for another cruiser to do so though.  Even at T10, you can get in close and [edited] (at the beginning of the game I might add), while in other ships it's much harder/impossible, at least early game wise.

RN CLs are cruisers that think they're destroyers, and I love them for it.  They combine the best aspects of cls and dds (great concealment, fast firing guns, SMOKE, HEAL, HYDRO, AA (at 9 and 10 ofc)).  They're the ship class I play when I want to relax, cuz I know I'll have a fun time with them.  Even if the team just sucks, I'll have fun, with a good performance to boot.

Note:

This might also explain why I'm coming to love Tash.  She removes the weak hp pool t7 Kiev had.  So now she can actually speed tank from 12km.  Who cares about caps when you're melting bbs to the waterline?  With AP from 12km no less.  I'll light fires as it suits me.  The rest of the time it's AP, even at bow/stern on bbs.  It reminds me of the time I played invisifire the bb with my Farragut (nvm I take back my earlier remark on being a bad aim.  USN dd arcs are way worse than RU ca arcs).  RU DDs are destroyers that think they're cruisers.  It's a lovely mixing of contradictions, isn't it?

TL;DR

RN cruisers have, at least for me, taken a lot of the fun out of playing other cruiser lines.

P.S.

Now all we need is a BB that thinks it's a cruiser.  Oh wait.  We already have that.  Might explain why she's the only T7 bb that kept a spot in my port.  Maybe a BB that thinks it's a destroyer next?  With GASP, smoke?

Tsunderes:   Yamato   Atago   Takao   Zao

Yanderes:   Okhotnik   Gneisenau   Clemson 
Danderes:   Edinburgh   Tashkent   Neptune

The rest of the cast: Black Swan Mikasa V-170 Zuiho Schors North Carolina Yorck Graf Spee Fredrich der Grosser ARP Myoko Haguro Ashigara Nachi Kongo Hiei Kirishima Haruna

Sinboto #2 Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:52 AM

Commander

• Supertester
  • Beta Testers

I'm not sure what to say, as much as I enjoy the RNCLs they never made me want to go "I shalt never play another line ever again!" 

Great ships, even with their drawbacks, but not something that'll make me want to play just them at all times ya know? 

FATqxHx.gif

mohawkdriver #3 Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:24 AM

Commander

• Members

They're no better or no worse than any other CL line. 

Treediagram #4 Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:58 AM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

Not really, I grind(ed) both KM CA and RN CL and they both make fun.

They have their individual tactics and how to play.

E.g. When I play Hindenburg, I would gladly go up against BBs who is sailing broadside thinking "nah those 8" cruiser AP shells doesn't harm anything" and just shove 10k damage per salvo into his ship.

On the otherhand when I play Minotaur I would go into smoke, hold my LMB down and watch how enemy ships would get 2k damage every 2.7sec and running away.

For me until now both line have been very fun to play and both very competetive. Plus I'm also gonna playing FR CA coming. So I'm not really seeing that RN CL is blurring out fun to play other cruisers.

In fact many people think RN CL is too gimmicky to play compared to other CAs

For me they are more or less the same....

p.s. Treediagram: I named this after the mathematical one, not from To Aru series!

Eagerly waiting for RN and DKM CV Tech-Tree and CV Rebalance

CV Captains are also customers, in case you guys forgot it.

My AA DPS and Aerial Combat Calculator

_Rumple_ #5 Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:59 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

I like playing my Edinburgh, but also VMF and IJN cruisers and for some odd reason, Baltimore(even before the buffs). They are all different with different playstyles. I like all cruiser lines nearly equally. Certainly I am looking forward to beyond Edinburgh, but not to the near exclusion of others, or finding other lines boring in comparison.

Shield380 #6 Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:08 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

I still prefer my American CAs over my Brits. 203mm AP is amazing to play with and I am working on my currently 15 point commander on my New Orleans.

Edited by Shield380, 15 March 2017 - 01:02 PM.

212thAttackBattalion #7 Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:24 AM

Ensign

• Members

My Fiji has quickly become my favourite ship.... have carried tier 9 games in her, they have a steep learning curve but once competent in them, the RNCL's are absolute demons

I really am just your average, every-man World of Warships player. My play style according to Warships today:

• Mostly plays cruisers, especially medium-tier and is very good in them
  • Deals an above average amount of damage
  • Extremely rarely uses torpedoes
  • Key vehicle - Fiji

TornadoADV #8 Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:38 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

View PostShield380, on 15 March 2017 - 04:08 AM, said:

I still prefer my American CLs over my Brits. 203mm AP is amazing to play with and I am working on my currently 15 point commander on my New Orleans.

Tier 7 and up on the USN Cruiser line are CAs, not CLs.

danredda1616 #9 Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:38 AM

Ensign

• Supertester
  • In AlfaTesters

RNCLs are nice, but incredibly hard to carry in - heavily relying on team spotting to be able to perform (even though it's my highest T10 Cruiser W/R, it is much more team dependent than most ships). Whilst getting higher damage numbers is easier, in my experience getting wins is much less stressful in conventional cruisers,

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIVE KITAKAMI PLEASE!!!

Ships Collected: 199/210

Ships Missing (Gold = unobtainable/reward): Tachibana Lima, Iwaki Alpha, Eastern Dragon, Tone, Akizuki, Kitakami, Marblehead Lima, Flint, Black, Midway, Diana Lima

Shield380 #10 Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:02 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

View PostTornadoADV, on 15 March 2017 - 05:38 AM, said:

Tier 7 and up on the USN Cruiser line are CAs, not CLs.

Ah, 'tis true. Thank you for the correction +1

Stauffenberg44 #11 Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:08 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

Higher tier Russian and German CAs are very potent. You wouldn't was to pop smoke and sit with a Chapayev or Moskva around or with German hydro.

I like British cruisers for the unique characteristics they bring to the game.

A toast--to our ships at sea !

SireneRacker #12 Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:10 PM

Captain

• Members

Actually the weak bow and aft armor makes it funny for me to smash them with Cruiser AP. They angle as much as they want, they still lose >5k each salvo :playing:

Proud member of [WAIFU], nothing beats Prinz Eugen

Torpedoes don't have any friends. So they will kill everything in their path. To prevent team kills we should all watch out where we fire those fishes. That means each and everyone of us, DDs of the second line!

No my name does NOT refer to those things from Odysseus! They refer to those loud things attached to a fire truck. Not to beautiful girls singing on the Ocean.

DoomStomper #13 Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:44 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

Block Quote

Maybe a BB that thinks it's a destroyer next?  With GASP, smoke?

Tirpitz.  In addition to carrying torpedoes, definitely spent plenty of time in that fjord hiding in smoke.  Even mounted depth charges at one point...

My Stats

PC Specs
 Intel i7 - 6700k processor, Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo cooler, Asus Z170 motherboard, MSI GTX 980 Ti GPU, Crucial 16GB DDR4 RAM, Corsair Graphite 760t case, EVGA Supernova 850G2 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate 2TB HDD, Acer XB271HU monitor, Windows 10

Sethanas #14 Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:17 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostDoomStomper, on 15 March 2017 - 08:44 AM, said:

Tirpitz.  In addition to carrying torpedoes, definitely spent plenty of time in that fjord hiding in smoke.  Even mounted depth charges at one point...

Torpitz?

What I'd like to see are 35-40 kts light BBs... pass on the torps cause at that speed it could be a little too strong....

Oh and I want more Atlanta.... Such an interesting play style.

DoomStomper #15 Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:56 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

View PostSethanas, on 15 March 2017 - 09:17 AM, said:

Torpitz?

What I'd like to see are 35-40 kts light BBs... pass on the torps cause at that speed it could be a little too strong....

You'd probably like De Grasse or Colbert if either becomes a premium.

Basically scaled-up French Atlantas that trade torps for significantly better guns.  Their 5"/54's slightly higher initial velocity propelling a much heavier shell should result in noticeably flatter arcs than Atlanta's 5"/38's; with RoF and fire chance matching that of Montana's secondaries.  Depending on what kind of numbers the 57mm Bofors end up with, these should be some of the strongest AA platforms in the game.

My Stats

PC Specs
 Intel i7 - 6700k processor, Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo cooler, Asus Z170 motherboard, MSI GTX 980 Ti GPU, Crucial 16GB DDR4 RAM, Corsair Graphite 760t case, EVGA Supernova 850G2 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate 2TB HDD, Acer XB271HU monitor, Windows 10

Peacemaker100 #16 Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:44 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostSinboto, on 15 March 2017 - 12:52 AM, said:

I'm not sure what to say, as much as I enjoy the RNCLs they never made me want to go "I shalt never play another line ever again!" 

Great ships, even with their drawbacks, but not something that'll make me want to play just them at all times ya know? 

Don't get me wrong, I still have Schors and Yorck in my port.  They're decent ships really; I just don't have as much fun playing them as Edin.  Not so much a matter of reload as the fact that it's a lot harder for me to get close.  I enjoy being close, cuz dispersion gets tighter, and there're more opportunities for wrecking face.  Funnily enough, I picked German Cruisers to brawl with the other cruisers, yet the ship I'm doing all my "brawling" in is Edin.  Having AP on Edin also saves me the bother of having to switch shell types.  Yes HE is nice, but I can live without it.

View PostDoomStomper, on 15 March 2017 - 06:56 AM, said:

You'd probably like De Grasse or Colbert if either becomes a premium.

Basically scaled-up French Atlantas that trade torps for significantly better guns.  Their 5"/54's slightly higher initial velocity propelling a much heavier shell should result in noticeably flatter arcs than Atlanta's 5"/38's; with RoF and fire chance matching that of Montana's secondaries.  Depending on what kind of numbers the 57mm Bofors end up with, these should be some of the strongest AA platforms in the game.

That sounds amazing!  So much dakka!  Actually got doubloons awhile ago and was looking to maybe get Atlanta, but she's gone from the tech tree unfortunately.  Keeping my fingers crossed for those Frenchies then.  Especially if they're decently fast, they should be a riot to play.  AA would be a much welcome bonus, since I hate cvs (especially when the team goes right and I spawned far left.  27 kts in Yammy plus hungry Taiho is not fun).  Including the good arcs, ideally they'd be somewhere around at least 38 kts.  The dream would be 40+ (is that possible?  French bias?).  Plus dd lvl rudder shift with a tight turning circle.  So maybe a cruiser version of RU dds?  Loss of torps wouldn't hurt at all, since I'd be staying at range, dodging everything, and shooting anything in range.  Especially with IFHE, I think they'd be dpm monsters.

View PostSethanas, on 15 March 2017 - 06:17 AM, said:

Torpitz?

That'd be insanely fun, but having no torps does dampen it a bit.  I think a fun bb would be one with cruiser lvl concealment (Iowa conceal <<< cruiser conceal), maybe with smoke to get even closer?  It'd be 35kts fast at least, so it can actually catch fleeing bbs (33 kt Iowa + HUGE citadel /= hunter).  It would equip a set of quadruple torp launchers, one on each side.  Probably no need for more than that.  WG can play with the numbers.  The torps are the finisher, really.  Get in close, nuke, then get the hell out of dodge.  It'd be a great ambush hunter.  The closest example to this would be Tirp/Gneis.  Tirp has a few problems, mainly that it's too slow to hunt a healthy bb and has horrible concealment.  Gneis, while on paper, seems to be a worse Tirp, is also a tier lower where people aren't as experienced.  Noobs make excellent prey, and there're also times when you catch an experienced player off guard (those are the best).

On the other hand, maybe a bb that thinks it's an Atlanta, only this time with cruiser lvl rudder shift.  Give it good speed (at least 35 kts).  Give it RU dd lvl guns (5 sec reload, flat arcs).  Range would be really short (17 km max?).  Now cover the ship with them.  So maybe an Atlanta-like configuration only this time you have a 4th lvl added on top and the turrets are triple instead of double.  Five wing turrets instead of one.  So in short, tiny guns, jetpack, bb armor.  It would have great deck armor coupled with sloped armor to bounce shells at range (>13 km), but would have horrendous side armor.  READ: Iowa/cruiser lvl armor.  Don't get in that range broadside or prepare to get nuked.  Would be great for pestering cruisers at range.  Plus farming salty bb tears.  Just spam HE at range.  With a rate of 2.7 TURRETS firing per sec.  Couple this with BFT and reload mod, and you're looking at 3.3 turrets per second.  If ripple firing...Oh god.  That rain.  And coupled with adrenalin, you'd have 4 turrets per sec at 10% hp.  This thing would be glorious.  Then again, I can imagine the salt a well played BB-Atlanta would get.  Anyone who hates getting spammed by Khab will hate this even more.  :teethhappy:

Note: Just realized the insane lvls of AA this thing would have, assuming the guns were DP.  This'd be one bb cvs would hate.  Standard bb consumables, maybe hydro instead of spotter/fighter?  :trollface:

Tsunderes:   Yamato   Atago   Takao   Zao

Yanderes:   Okhotnik   Gneisenau   Clemson 
Danderes:   Edinburgh   Tashkent   Neptune

The rest of the cast: Black Swan Mikasa V-170 Zuiho Schors North Carolina Yorck Graf Spee Fredrich der Grosser ARP Myoko Haguro Ashigara Nachi Kongo Hiei Kirishima Haruna

AdmiralThunder #17 Posted 15 March 2017 - 05:02 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

No, they don't.

All CL lines, except BRN which is pretty much the same thing T3-T10, are pretty similar through T4 with the exception of the US T3 St. Louis.  At T5+ they kind of go in different directions which gives each line their own identity. BRN CL's are unique but not OP vs other lines. Just different. I like them the best but I also like and play USN and KM too. I don't play Russian and IJN CL's because I dislike them not because of the BRN line.

HazeGrayUnderway #18 Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:07 PM

Rear Admiral

• Members

RN CLs excel at several things.  They are good in short range, damage over time.  They are great in their consumables.  They eventually develop good AA but only at Tier IX-X.  At those same tiers the torpedoes are very useful, powerful.

What RN CLs are poor at are taking any hits.  They all eat citadels and are allergic to all forms of damage hitting them.  Some will point to their very strong repair characteristics but that is irrelevant when other CRUISERS can land 6 Citadels in ONE SALVO on an RN CL.  Their smoke usage is very predictable and some guys get good in nailing RN CLs as they prep up to smoke (that slow down period before popping smoke) or while they camp inside it.  This is due to the small smoke pattern RN CLs do.  The small smoke pattern is dangerous because it attracts all forms of torpedo attacks.  Even CVs will drop torpedoes into their smoke and have an excellent chance on hitting.

You can flush out an RN CL out of smoke by constantly threatening with spotting (DD or aircraft are best) and torpedo attacks (surface or air drop), radar.  They either stay inside the smoke and eat all the attacks, or when they leave the smoke, are immediately spotted and everyone instantly deletes it.

The combination of guns that do not do high spike damage, awful armor (they are armored like DDs but unlike DDs, they have citadels, some VERY LARGE CITADELS) make them very poor in a 1 vs 1 engagement even against another Cruiser.  To make use of their smoke, they need a spotter.

The ships are excellent ships in helping the team effort but IMO, are not Team Carry ships due to their firepower and lack of spike damage, poor armor, poorly protected citadels.  They hold up poorly in any focus fire situation.  They are more dependent on the team's overall success.  An RN CL on a fighting retreat is pi$$-poor, unlike a retreating Cruiser like a RU one that is speeding away and pelting ships at range with accurate fire.  An ambushing 8" armed CA can land heavy damage in a single salvo on someone, even a BB, and then run away.  The RN CL needs to stick around and keep shooting with more time to do its damage.  The tech tree ones also do not have the luxury of HE & Setting Fires, so they cannot land a few HE shells and fires and then go back into hiding.  The moment they stop shooting, then they do no more damage unless they get lucky with torp hits.

GrandAdmiral_2016 #19 Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:29 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

I'll take the torps and the AP and deal with the armor limitations inherent to the RN CL line as currently modelled. I would point out that, inch for inch, the RN's armor plate was superior to that of every other navy, including the USN, from Leander on up for the CLs and for the KGVs and Vanguard and the armored carriers.This is not reflected in the game, for obvious reasons (ie., ''Balance'' and ''Russian cruisers are better''). Check out the armor discussion in D.K. Brown's Nelson to Vanguard.

HazeGrayUnderway #20 Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:49 PM

Rear Admiral

• Members

View PostGrandAdmiral_2016, on 15 March 2017 - 10:29 AM, said:

I'll take the torps and the AP and deal with the armor limitations inherent to the RN CL line as currently modelled. I would point out that, inch for inch, the RN's armor plate was superior to that of every other navy, including the USN, from Leander on up for the CLs and for the KGVs and Vanguard and the armored carriers.This is not reflected in the game, for obvious reasons (ie., ''Balance'' and ''Russian cruisers are better''). Check out the armor discussion in D.K. Brown's Nelson to Vanguard.

History is irrelevant when we have an entire line of ships that shoot only magical AP.  We also have the drama of raised USN BB citadels for the sake of having skyscraper citadels that has been going on for years and is only now being looked at by WG.

What history says and what WG does are like oil and water.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway, 15 March 2017 - 06:50 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users