CV gameplay and meta?

carriers meta

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

That1Villain #1 Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:49 AM

Seaman

• Members

So I'm coming back from quite a long hiatus from WoWS and I'm thinking of getting back into CV gameplay. I'm at the Essex and the Hiryu and I left shortly after the Essex and Midway lost their 2/2/0 configuration and Russian DD intro. So my questions for you all are is CV gameplay good enough to come back to and if so what is the new meta for CV's?
Spoiler

Estimated_Prophet #2 Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:16 AM

Commander

• Members

There's supposed to be a controls change soon, and apparently T4-5 will soon loose the 'alt-click' attack ability in order to discourage clubbing.

Forget Ise! Give me Hyuuga!!!

That1Villain #3 Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:23 AM

Seaman

• Members

I know there's changes to the UI coming and there's going to hopefully be less seal clubbing but my lowest CV is the Hiryu and I'm not too far away from shokaku so I'm not really concerned with t4-5. Has the meta changed since OBT and if so how?
Spoiler

KingJacko #4 Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:51 AM

Petty Officer

• Members

I don't know if you were here for the Saipan, but it is tier 7 and it has tier 9 planes.  I think the loadouts are 2/2/0(Squads of 3) or 3/0/1(fighter squad of 3, DB sqaud of 10 i think)

That1Villain #5 Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:03 AM

Seaman

• Members

I do have the saipan and I played a few games in it when it first came out but other than those few games I haven't dabbled in CV gameplay since OBT 
Spoiler

HazeGrayUnderway #6 Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:06 AM

Rear Admiral

• Members

The AA has gotten stronger since you last played CVs, OP.  This is very true at high tiers where your Essex resides.  It's not surprising to see the entire roster of an opposing team and see they all have:

a.  High AA ratings

and / or

b.  Access to Defensive Fire

There is one thing that players don't do as much anymore compared to your last time on.  It's grouping up for mutual AA in a CV match.  You find a lot of lone wolves out there.  Even early in the match where players MAY be sailing in groups, give them time.  They'll splinter eventually.

That1Villain #7 Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:36 AM

Seaman

• Members

Hm that's somewhat encouraging, but I suppose it's balanced out by stronger AA and defensive fire, one last question, are strike configs still viable for US CV's? 
Spoiler

AVR_Project #8 Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:57 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

The disparity between US and IJN planes continues.  IJN planes used to be much weaker, but are now, plane-for-plane on par with US.

New ship modules allow further customization of the role you want the CV to perform -- unfortunate they did this.

So to properly switch between AS and Strike modes, you need Two Captains, changed flags, and changed ship upgrades.

And be careful.  Some of those odd ship upgrades don't come back if you sell them.. need to save with Doubloons.

So much has been lost, so much forgotten. So much pain, so much blood. And for what? I wonder. The past tempts us, the present confuses us, and the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between. But there is still time to seize that one last, fragile moment. To choose something better, to make a difference.  -- Babylon 5

That1Villain #9 Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:21 PM

Seaman

• Members

Well my Essex captain was set up for strike since well lol 2 torp squads, and my Hiryu captain was set up for strike as well since IJN carriers are better at that in general. I don't have any of the special ship upgrades for CV's. Well I'll try a few games in Saipan after a lot of ranked battles, still need to grind from rank 5 to rank 1
Spoiler

Flashtirade #10 Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:22 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

USN strike is still viable, but the damage comes more from stacking DoT than upfront damage. To focus a ship down, you split the strike into two or three groups. The first group comes in and forces a fire and/or flood. [I prefer floods for this because people tend to put those out immediately, so I usually lead with DB+TB.] After their damage control goes away (memorize those times per nation), you can send in the rest of the DBs to put on more fires that they can no longer put out.

That1Villain #11 Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:50 AM

Seaman

• Members

Cool, thanks all. I think I'll give CV's another go after the ranked season is over
Spoiler

aethervox #12 Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:50 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Alpha Tester

LOL, OP, those are my top 2 CVs atm too.

I don't whine about their imagined or real weaknesses at all.

I just play them.

I like flying all those planes around plus motoring with the CV, lol.

Reyteitoku #13 Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:49 AM

Seaman

• Members

All Cv except Essex and Midwayare probably stronger than ever before. And even those aren't necessarly bad but obviously you cannot as easly cv snipe anymore with a t9+ USN cv.

Edited by Reyteitoku, 15 March 2017 - 10:49 AM.

That1Villain #14 Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:28 PM

Seaman

• Members

Yeah the Essex and Midway got nerfed hard but really deserved it to be fair. The two torp squads were brutal with the US top spread. I'm not complaining about CV's at all, was just curious if it was worth playing again or wait till the CV changes that are coming.
Spoiler

Reyteitoku #15 Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:46 PM

Seaman

• Members

View PostThat1Villain, on 15 March 2017 - 12:28 PM, said:

Yeah the Essex and Midway got nerfed hard but really deserved it to be fair. The two torp squads were brutal with the US top spread. I'm not complaining about CV's at all, was just curious if it was worth playing again or wait till the CV changes that are coming.

I would argue 1-1-3 midway and essex were intially even better than 1-2-2 on release (may 2016), they were crushingly good to cv snipe - with the addition of defensiv aa on cv 8+ that is obviously rather pointless.

HazeGrayUnderway #16 Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:36 PM

Rear Admiral

• Members

View PostReyteitoku, on 15 March 2017 - 02:49 AM, said:

All Cv except Essex and Midwayare probably stronger than ever before. And even those aren't necessarly bad but obviously you cannot as easly cv snipe anymore with a t9+ USN cv.

Nah, give me back my Stock Lexington they took away.

Also tagged with carriers, meta

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users