Advice for high tier battles

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

hpat #1 Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:30 AM

Seaman

• Members

Hello,

I started playing about eight months ago, and failed my way up to the IJN Mogami. I wasn't good enough to play the Mogami to a profit or even break even, so I started up some other lines. I appreciate on tier 9 and 10, this is the norm for good players is breaking even or losing credits.

Around December I realized how much of a nooblord I was and started to learn to play, spending a long time with a Christmas box Molotov and the Graf Spee.before settling into the Leander and Fiji, because smoke and repair parties on a cruiser is the easy mode.

Once I felt I was getting better, and my overall win rate was climbing back to my target of 50%, I decided to have another go with the Mogami. Cue the fail montage. It turn out that at tier 8, 9, and 10, players have learned to turn unpredictably, and showing your broadside is punished with obliteration rather than mere heavy damage.

Can anyone give me to some specific tips for high tier, apart from 'git gud,' 'Don't sail broadside to anything,' and 'uninstall?'

Thanks!

ckupf #2 Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:40 AM

Lieutenant

• Members

I might give watching some streamers a go, Mejash and Braincage are my favorites on Twitch, but there are plenty of good ones out there. I learn best by watching.

You need to play a lot to get the situational awareness needed to not get nuked. Don't sail broadside might be said a thousand times a day, but that's because of how important it is. Learn when to keep your guns quiet, when to disengage, when to make for cover, look for signs of ships turning, and constantly be turning yourself. Work with your teammates and pay attention to the minimap. When I am not actively engaged I spend almost as much time on the minimap as the rest of the screen. 

If you have specific questions I can give more specific answers, but that's my general advice.

KyourakuShunsui #3 Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:13 AM

Ensign

• Beta Testers

View Postckupf, on 13 March 2017 - 08:40 PM, said:

I might give watching some streamers a go, Mejash and Braincage are my favorites on Twitch, but there are plenty of good ones out there. I learn best by watching.

You need to play a lot to get the situational awareness needed to not get nuked. Don't sail broadside might be said a thousand times a day, but that's because of how important it is. Learn when to keep your guns quiet, when to disengage, when to make for cover, look for signs of ships turning, and constantly be turning yourself. Work with your teammates and pay attention to the minimap. When I am not actively engaged I spend almost as much time on the minimap as the rest of the screen. 

If you have specific questions I can give more specific answers, but that's my general advice.

I have to second a part of this. Learning when to fire and when to hold your shots is important. Sometimes (particularly in an IJN Cruiser) you need to go dark and reposition. 

Also, spend time learning other ship armor configurations so you know when to shoot HE versus AP and where to aim (superstructure versus bow line versus water line, etc).

Wildcanadian1168 #4 Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:41 AM

Seaman

• Members

I figure don't listen anyone who says uninstall opposed to offering some helpful advice or what have you.

Ha I have same sorta issues going on for me. with that higher tier play as well I actually thought it be cool to have some up to date tutorials or even better a coach or what ever their title could be run us side by side and show ship positioning, armour angling etc run through a few battles blah blah .just some food for thought.Such as the advice from (ckupf) good positive energy so thank you.

Shadeylark #5 Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:15 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

It's tough to talk bout things like angling, when to disengage or engage, when to push versus snipe, when to angle vs dodge, etc etc without talking specific ships due to varying armor schemes, citadel vulnerability, speed, turn radii, etc etc.

General rules of thumb for high tier play...

1 very team dependent, much more so than lower tiers.  Dds need to scout n smoke friendlies, cruisers need to play interference against enemy dds so bbs can push up, bbs need to kill enemy cruisers n bbs to keep friendlies alive.  Bottom line, everyone plays a support role at high tier, there is no carrying.

2 nobody tanks well at high tier... very ship has more damage dealing potential than tanking potential which means everyone can be obliterated quickly from one mistake.  Never make a move unless you've got an escape route.  Or better unless you've got support.  Having an escape route will let you survive, but you won't win much.  Having support will keep you alive and an games.  So again... teamwork is essential.

mohawkdriver #6 Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:46 AM

Commander

• Members

View Posthpat, on 14 March 2017 - 02:30 AM, said:

Hello,

I started playing about eight months ago, and failed my way up to the IJN Mogami. I wasn't good enough to play the Mogami to a profit or even break even, so I started up some other lines. I appreciate on tier 9 and 10, this is the norm for good players is breaking even or losing credits.

Around December I realized how much of a nooblord I was and started to learn to play, spending a long time with a Christmas box Molotov and the Graf Spee.before settling into the Leander and Fiji, because smoke and repair parties on a cruiser is the easy mode.

Once I felt I was getting better, and my overall win rate was climbing back to my target of 50%, I decided to have another go with the Mogami. Cue the fail montage. It turn out that at tier 8, 9, and 10, players have learned to turn unpredictably, and showing your broadside is punished with obliteration rather than mere heavy damage.

Can anyone give me to some specific tips for high tier, apart from 'git gud,' 'Don't sail broadside to anything,' and 'uninstall?'

Thanks!

'Easy' mode, huh?  Okay...let me know if you still feel that way after you get to HIGH tiers in the RN line.

Stauffenberg44 #7 Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:54 AM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

The big thing as I recall about playing high tier was getting over the intimidation factor. I had it in my head that you would end up as shark-bait for a bunch of meth-head expert players with maxed-out captains. Finally after playing higher tier with the few ships I have up there I realized its the same old crowd playing with a bit more caution than usual. Losses hurt up there with your big hard-earned ships and it is expensive to support those battles, especially if you lose. So I finally got my basic WR about on par up there (such as it is I am a 50-51%er due to my being a collector and playing everything I have) but you have to realize that 1 out of 5, or 1 out of 10 battles or so, you will battle a team with some truly expert players on it and you will get resoundingly thrashed. Take it in your stride. Above all always watch the full match to see how these experts do it. Some of the best battles I have seen were when I played an outstanding battle myself, or even better watched other super players fight it out after I was sunk.

Edited by Stauffenberg44, 14 March 2017 - 04:56 AM.

A toast--to our ships at sea !

ultima1 #8 Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:22 AM

Petty Officer

• Members

without seeing how you play is hard to give advice

if you charge in. thats problem 1

do you use the camo thats 22K ? <- i went to the one that just does 4% dispersion. no reduced range. its 7.5K 

and how about premium consumables ?  if using all 3, thats over ~30K a match gone, repair and ammo bill added in...~20K

so you need to make about 70K a match to break even...you need at least 25K damage done if not more just to break even. 

that'll chew up any profit quick 

in high tier you need to know when to use HE over AP

in your IJN, you'll be up against a lot of tough BB's. HE is your friend and burning. once burning use AP, i found i was doing 7K salvos at a time. 

with my takeo, so shes a good damage dealer. until a BB nails me xD

income is based on damage done. so you have to get that damage in, and be able to aim fairly well. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users