Farragut Help, I got most of it figured out but would love some advice.

farragut us dds dds american ships us destroyers destroyers destroyer american dds

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Shield380 #1 Posted 13 March 2017 - 02:14 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

Hello all! I have recently gotten my Farragut and absolutely love it. The 5 guns (I really don't feel like going with Hull C, I like the 5 turrets too much) and the 6.4km torpedoes fit my play-style very well. Up-close and personal. 

The torps are quite nice to have after being stuck with the 54 knt, 5.5km torps of the Nicholas and the extra .9km feels a lot larger than it actually is. That is not a bad thing though. The guns are very fun for picking on battleships from inside smoke and I have smoked an Ognevoi in a direct gunfight, which was quite the feeling of success I can assure you.

I was wondering what the best captain build that you guys found was. Best strategy for torp runs? General thoughts on the ships?

Thanks for the help folks!

- Shield

SireneRacker #2 Posted 13 March 2017 - 02:22 PM

Commander

• Members

BFT is definitely a good start since it reduces the reload to 'just hold down the button don't care what comes next'.

Superintendent because of the extra smoke.

Last Stand, that one goes without saying.

Never had the chance to try CE, but I think it might be fun.

Torpedoes don`t have any friends. So they will kill everything in their path. To prevent team kills we should all watch out where we fire those fishes. That means each and everyone of us, DDs of the second line!

No my name does NOT refer to those things from Odysseus! They refer to the those loud things attached to a fire truck. Not to beautiful girls singing on the Ocean.

Doomlock #3 Posted 13 March 2017 - 02:34 PM

Ensign

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

Well don't bother with AFT as the orbital shells the ship fires makes hitting things at max range very hard. Adrenalin Rush would be good as faster gun reload (Not that she needs it but it always helps) and torpedo reloads (Much more useful, does require getting hit though). If you're at a loss for anything else and have 2 points, EM is good, until you get to Benson the turrets aren't the newer mounts and are a bit longer to turn; with EM the Farragut's, Nicholas's, and Mahan's guns turn 180º in 11 seconds.

Fair winds and following seas! -Doomlock

Hit hard, hit fast, hit often! -Fleet Admiral William "Bull" Halsey.

Current ships: IJN: MikasaTachibanaIshizuchi, Yūbari, Kamikaze R, AobaNagato, Akatsuki, Shiratsuyu, Atago, ZaōUSN: Texas, Arizona, Cleveland, Farragut, Indianapolis, Sims. VMF:  Aurora, Gremyashchy, Budyonny, Molotov, Gnevny, Mikhail Kutuzov, Ognevoi.  RN: Caledon, Leander, Belfast. KM: Emden, V-25, Königsberg, Nürnberg, Scharnhorst, Gneisenau, Prinz EugenFleet of Fog: Kongō, Hiei, Haruna, Kirishima, Myōkō, Haguro, Nachi, Ashigara, Takao. MW: Błyskawica.  CW: Perth. 

My Complete list of Warship Pics and AHLA's

Sir_Orrin #4 Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:30 PM

• Members

Farragut is one of my favorite ships. You asked about torpedo runs, my advice? Don't worry about the torpedoes. The guns will do plenty of damage as long as you play it right and can stay out of danger. Don't bother with the torps unless a target of opportunity comes. That's how I play it and I'm decently sucessful with the Farragut.

Spoiler

Estimated_Prophet #5 Posted 13 March 2017 - 04:36 PM

Commander

• Members

View PostSir_Orrin, on 13 March 2017 - 09:30 AM, said:

The guns will do plenty of damage as long as you play it right and can stay out of danger. Don't bother with the torps unless a target of opportunity comes.

You're kidding , right? I've consistently done more damage with torpedoes across ALL my destroyers than I ever have with guns.

How the heck anyone scores big with those useless cork guns anywhere outside suicide range or without brain-dead enemy drivers sailing in straight lines, or without being blown away themselves boggles my mind.

Forget Ise! Give me Hyuuga!!!

Sir_Orrin #6 Posted 13 March 2017 - 04:39 PM

• Members

View PostEstimated_Prophet, on 13 March 2017 - 04:36 PM, said:

You're kidding , right? I've consistently done more damage with torpedoes across ALL my destroyers than I ever have with guns.

How the heck anyone scores big with those useless cork guns anywhere outside suicide range or without brain-dead enemy drivers sailing in straight lines, or without being blown away themselves boggles my mind.

Fires, lots of fires. 

I'll see if I can pull up some battle results when I have the opportunity. Also, the main point of my post was that it is usually better (for me) to focus on using my guns, than trying to set up torpedeo attacks, because you often end up dying to get those torpedeos off.

Spoiler

ForgMaxtor #7 Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:05 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

My basic build for USN DDs T5+:

- Preventative Maintenance

- Last Stand

- Survival  Expert

- Concealment Expert.

Once you've made it past 10 points and gotten these, there is some choice.  You can't get everything.

I particularly like Adrenaline Rush as the next pick with points 11-12 because USN DDs are best as brawlers/cap fighters meaning you're likely to take at least some damage early in the game.  It's 1 point cheaper than BFT and improves both your gun and torp reload.  So this is usually where I use points 11-12.

Especially for Ranked or if you're playing in a division, Superintendent is really good as smoking teammates with USN DDs is an extremely effective tactic.  But playing solo in Randoms such teamwork tactics don't work as well -- you can lay smoke for BBs in Randoms, but they're as likely to ignore it as use it.  So for Randoms, I think you can argue that just buying Premium Smoke Consumable is good enough, and then you can get both BFT and Demo Expert with points 13-18.  Which first is up to you; I took BFT first.  If you do get Superintendent, obviously you have to choose either BFT or DE.  I'd lean to the former.  I wouldn't go Torpedo Armament Expertise for the Farragut specifically, but if you're planning on moving the captain up to T8+ eventually, you can make the argument for skipping either BFT or DE and getting TAE instead as the higher tier USN DD torps get quite good.

My best USN captain is almost to 19 points (this week, hopefully!).  I'll probably spend the last point on Priority Target, which I don't think is as useful on USN DDs as on e.g., cruisers, but still comes in handy at times.

I have experimented with both RPF and IFHE for USN DDs.  Both certainly have their value, but I'm unconvinced either is really worth 4 points.  RPF is more useful in Ranked than Randoms -- I've used it this season on my Sims, and while it's certainly been useful at times even in Ranked I'm still not sure it's worth the 4-point cost.  IFHE does increase your HE alpha damage against certain targets (e.g., mid-tier USN BBs), but it comes at a pretty high cost in fire% so again I'm not sure it's worth the 4-point cost for USN DDs (though I love IFHE on my 152mm gun cruisers!).

Edited by ForgMaxtor, 13 March 2017 - 06:06 PM.

Estimated_Prophet #8 Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:38 PM

Commander

• Members

View PostSir_Orrin, on 13 March 2017 - 10:39 AM, said:

Fires, lots of fires. 

I'll see if I can pull up some battle results when I have the opportunity. Also, the main point of my post was that it is usually better (for me) to focus on using my guns, than trying to set up torpedeo attacks, because you often end up dying to get those torpedeos off.

Yeah, there is that. I will conceed that my original comment is based on my stalking and close-attacking targets; (with my continued survival generally a by-product of the target being dead,) one of the few things I seem to be good at in destroyers. Pew-pewing? Not so much.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet, 13 March 2017 - 06:39 PM.

Forget Ise! Give me Hyuuga!!!

poeticmotion #9 Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:02 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

I may have more thoughts later as I'm at work, but since Farragut's one of my favorite ships and I have 500ish battles in her, figured I'd chime in. 

I play Farragut as a capper/cap control boat first, DD hunter second, and general fast response boat / fleet DD third. She's one of my highest win rate ships because of her versatility and ability to impact a battle in so many different ways; she's the swiss army knife of DDs. She can ambush torp around islands very well, and when she's fully specced for concealment there's only a .3km difference between her detection range and torp range, so she can even stealthtorp in certain scenarios (ship coming at you or approaching at an angle.) 

Where she really excels at is cap control and DD hunting. No one at her tier can beat Farragut in a knife fight if you drive her right. She has the speed to get to a cap quickly, the stealth to not get taken by surprise often, and the few boats stealthier than her are slower so she can close the gap quickly. Her ROF and gun damage are excellent, which means no DD beats her at close range. She's also very maneuverable. Charge enemy DDs and constantly bob and weave to throw off torps, while pounding them with HE until you're rewarded with a sinking enemy vessel. If the enemy smokes up, don't be afraid to charge their smoke; you're maneuverable enough that when you spot them at 2km you can usually dodge their torps if you're close to bow-on, if they even get torps off before your 127mms delete them. And you have a generous enough hp to take a torp hit from same-tier DDs without dying.

You have the ability to stealth-fire; while this is mitigated by your terrible shell arcs at range, it plays into cap control since once you've defeated an enemy DD and are capping, a non-stop stream of HE from stealth is often enough to convince cowardly BBs and cruisers to turn rather than contest the cap. Also, USN smoke lasts longer than other lines, which gives you the ability to smoke up and fire with impunity provided you have a teammate spotting for you. At tier 6, many players aren't experienced enough to blind-torp smoke clouds, so you can get away with this more than higher tiers, but still be watchful of incoming torp spreads while you're in smoke. Try to stay close to bow-on to where you expect enemies to torp from in case you spot inbound torps as you're screwed if caught broadside. Also, don't sit still as this makes it easy to fire at your muzzle flashes. 

When you're top tier, you can often even get away with simply charging an isolated t5/6 BB and torping him at close range. If he's moving toward you, charge him. Most t5 BBs have slow turret traverse. Even if his guns are pointed in your general direction, he won't get more than one salvo off before you get torps off and bow-on he won't hit more than a shot or two if he hits you at all. I do not recommend trying this with t7/t8 BBs unless their guns are pointed away from you and you know you can close the distance before he can get guns on you, or German BBs due to good secondaries. 

Once you've initially capped, your speed and stealth give you the ability to flex wherever needed, which is what I meant by 'Fleet DD/fast response'. Good Farragut drivers can read the minimap well and anticipate what will happen over the next few minutes, then hit speed boost and move to where they can help defend a threatened cap, capture a cap that is vulnerable, help shore up a collapsing flank, lead a push, or hunt down a DD that is scaring your BBs away from pushing.

Almost everything Farragut can do, there's another DD that can do it better (except for cap control / knife fighting.) But there is no DD in her tier range that can do as many things as well as Farragut can. Obviously, although an outstanding player can influence a battle with any boat, there is no boat at tier 6 that can influence a battle more than a very well driven Farragut with the possible exception of a unicum-level CV.

Farragut skills: 
Must-have:

Priority Target. In a DD this is hugely helpful. If you're knife fighting and you see 4 ships have locked on to you, time to focus on dodging and breaking contact, etc. 

Last Stand: Must-have for any DD. 

Demo Expert: The extra fires really help, given your hit % goes to hell at long range thanks to terrible shell arcs. 

Concealment Expert: Without CE you're going to struggle more against stealthy DDs. 

Useful: 

BFT: 10% higher ROF

SE: I normally don't take this on ships below t9, and I currently don't have it on my Farragut, but I have used it on Farragut before. It's a nice edge in a knife fight.)

Adrenaline Rush: Very useful. I tend to take damage early-game locking down a cap. AR provides a boost to my torp and gun reloads for the rest of the game, and I am often able to survive most/all of the game after taking damage in the initial cap fight.

IF/HE: YMMV, but if you can aim well it allows you to penetrate BB armor on the bow and stern for direct damage as opposed to relying on fires. 

Don't be a potato. Don't take these skills: 
AFT: Farragut's got plenty of range already and you won't hit anything moving except a BB at max range. AFT is a waste. 

RPF: Don't waste 4 points. You will find as you drive Farragut, if you're intelligent, that you develop a good sense of where other DDs will go and what they'll do. And that requires no skill points. 

Also, don't take the C hull. The extra AA is NOT worth losing one of your five guns. I've never used the C hull in the 500 battles I've played with my Farragut. 

Modules: Main armament or magazine mod in slot 1, Aiming Systems Mod in slot 2, DC in slot 3, propulsion mod in slot 4. 

Happy Farraguting!

Tier 10: Khabarovsk, Kurfurst, Minotaur, Tier 9: Fletcher, Friedrich, Udaloi,, Z-46 Tier 8: North Carolina, Bismarck, Z-23, Edinburgh ARP Takao, Akizuki, Kiev, Ognevoi Tier 7: all ARP Myokos, Gneisenau, Leningrad, ShiratsuyuFiji, Tier 6: Budyonny, FarragutShinonome, Fuso, Leander, Bayern, Graf Spee  Tier 5: Kamikaze-R, all ARP Kongos Tier 4: Clemson, IshizuchiV170, Kaiser Tier 2: Tachibana, Mikasa

My guides: Poetic's Guide To Getting Gud Or At Least Less Bad: Tips From A Former Potato     Poetic's post-0.6.0 guide to DD skills and capt builds

The URL Guy is OP, but please don't nerf him. 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users