A very interesting, quotable conversation by Wargaming CEO

wargaming wows

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Herr_Reitz #1 Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:31 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers

This really is well worth the read.

I bet if you look back since WoWS went "live" you might see folks on this forum discussed this very quote: 

Wargaming CEO

“I was pushing all those teams to literally copy World of Tanks,” Kislyi said. “That was wrong.”

A very short read but well worth it. 

Mesrith #2 Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:40 PM

Commander

• Members
  • Beta Testers

I don't really see it.  I think World of Warships has done a good job of following the pattern but also being a different game, with different pacing and styles.  Honestly, the one big flaw in the game is where they didn't follow World of Tanks, by ignoring clans for far too long, and procrastinating on any sort of competitive team play or tier 10 endgame.  Tanks nailed that from day 1.

BrushWolf #3 Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:56 PM

Rear Admiral

• Alpha Tester

Simply copying WoT would have created Steel Ocean.

Ich lasse mir doch nicht mein Schiff unter dem Arsch wegschießen. Feuererlaubnis! (I'm not letting my ship get shot out from under my arse. Open fire!) Ernst Lindemann Captain KMS Bismarck

Battleship_MaineMk1 #4 Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:22 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

I think that Wargaming is trying to be politically favorable while making a game. No one is able to argue against the bias to developing Russian content over any nation. They haven't listened to their players with the intent to truly listen, which a big example of that is the Italian nation content that is absent but coming into the game. Most of their games are based on E-Sports, and balances and development have been tailored to cater to these competitive players (The changing of game mechanics in World of Warplanes that killed 70% of its player base off, The nerfing of American tanks in WoT so that german and Russian tanks are the only plausible picks for battles now buy-and-large), and competitive play is so small compared to the number of players in game total. They targeted the ends of the spectrum with their 3 "big titles" (WoT, WoWP, WoWS), they appeal to the Pay-to-Win 12-year-old with a mic and credit card, and the 35-year-old E-Sports junkie. However, most of the players are neither of these. They also focused just on what the Russian server wanted, and while they get reports from other servers, do you really think they cared?

Now that the CEO has been extremely honest, I think that the change of pace is going to be seen. World of Warplanes, if they get more freedom, will probably fix their mechanics in the game. World of Tanks will finally start treating other tank lines with respect and making them equivalent to other nations that generally have more power. World of Warships will add more features and start getting new lines as a priority. 

I really have enjoyed this game, and to be frank, have no issues with WG, but there are still things that irritate me (the aforementioned items in my rhetoric). Hopefully this is the birth of a new era where the games can be more mobile in regards to there development.

Remember the Maine, Remember the Arizona! #neverforget | I support the USS Maine as a US premium! #GiveMeMaine

Statically speaking...

Formerly Luke_Skywalker01 and Fog_Cruiser_Maine

awiggin #5 Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:26 PM

Rear Admiral

• Members

View PostMesrith, on 12 March 2017 - 01:40 PM, said:

I don't really see it.  I think World of Warships has done a good job of following the pattern but also being a different game, with different pacing and styles.  Honestly, the one big flaw in the game is where they didn't follow World of Tanks, by ignoring clans for far too long, and procrastinating on any sort of competitive team play or tier 10 endgame.  Tanks nailed that from day 1.

Because the players aren't there, and never will be....

The real difference between tanks and ships is the player base, you have a tiny segment of the community who are truly competitive players, and a vast mob of casual players. This is the real reason WG has been in no hurry for clans.

Want to know what's going to happen when they finally institute clan battles?

You're going to have clans with leadership and players that look like this....

Spoiler

This is a player that is a leader of a clan, and recently posted about lack of clan battles and lack of clan size....

How long are clan battles going to be a thing, when players like this are trying to compete? 

What's going to happen is, a few unicum clans will own clans like this, the unicums will get bored due to lack of competition, and the clans like this will fall apart when they realize they simply have no chance....:sceptic:

Mesrith #6 Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:40 PM

Commander

• Members
  • Beta Testers

View Postawiggin, on 12 March 2017 - 04:26 PM, said:

Because the players aren't there, and never will be....

The real difference between tanks and ships is the player base, you have a tiny segment of the community who are truly competitive players, and a vast mob of casual players. This is the real reason WG has been in no hurry for clans.

Nonsense.  If clans and clan content had existed since day one, player retention would have been higher, and current player count would be larger.  People stick with a game longer when they've formed a social bond with it.  They want to play with friends, and enjoy joining whatever their friends are doing.  I can't tell you how many good players I've known in the past two years that no longer play this game because they're bored of randoms, but would have happily participated in WoT-style tournaments or clan wars.  Competitive players move on to other games and check back on WoWS to see if anything has changed; most haven't come back.

Bad clans are going to exist, and that's irrelevant.  They don't factor at all into the quality of the end-game, because they get boxed out in the early rounds.  Competition usually does a good job of sorting itself out if we're ever given an arena to do it in.

awiggin #7 Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:06 PM

Rear Admiral

• Members

View PostMesrith, on 12 March 2017 - 02:40 PM, said:

Nonsense.  If clans and clan content had existed since day one, player retention would have been higher, and current player count would be larger.  People stick with a game longer when they've formed a social bond with it.  They want to play with friends, and enjoy joining whatever their friends are doing.  I can't tell you how many good players I've known in the past two years that no longer play this game because they're bored of randoms, but would have happily participated in WoT-style tournaments or clan wars.  Competitive players move on to other games and check back on WoWS to see if anything has changed; most haven't come back.

Bad clans are going to exist, and that's irrelevant.  They don't factor at all into the quality of the end-game, because they get boxed out in the early rounds.  Competition usually does a good job of sorting itself out if we're ever given an arena to do it in.

What other reason would WG have, other than lack of interest for waiting this long?

As you say, lots of hardcore players have left due to lack of a an actual competitive team mode, but the relative numbers are small compared to the player base as a whole.

We had 230k individual players at x-mas time, less than 1% finished all the hidden achievements, which were absurdly easy to finish. That should tell you all you need to know about this game.

Look at the abysmal number of players that actually rank out? Wouldn't anyone who's reasonably serious about the game be ranked out?

Install the MM app that does XVM like stuff, and look at the sea of red in every game....how much proof do you need?

I realize this isn't what you want to hear, but the fact is, this is a casual game, this is the reason we have no modes but random 18 months out of beta, and WG seems in no hurry to add any new modes. :P

Edited by awiggin, 12 March 2017 - 11:07 PM.

Mesrith #8 Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:17 PM

Commander

• Members
  • Beta Testers

View Postawiggin, on 12 March 2017 - 05:06 PM, said:

I realize this isn't what you want to hear, but the fact is, this is a casual game, this is the reason we have no modes but random 18 months out of beta, and WG seems in no hurry to add any new modes. :P

Competitive players don't stick around a game that has no competitive modes.  News at 11!

Also tagged with wargaming, wows

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users