Alabama Review - Solid But Difficult

Alabama Review

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Shokaku_1 #41 Posted 13 March 2017 - 02:34 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

I don't get the "dispersion is ok" argument in the video.

It is wrong to say "sigma = 1.8 is ok on USN BB" when tier 7+ USN BBs all have better sigma. In fact North Carolina, Iowa and Montana used to have sigma values of 1.8 and they all had to be buffed to what they are now, which clearly says "sigma = 1.8 is not ok on USN BB". German BBs have armor and secondaries to compensate for sigma values of 1.8, Alabama has to stay at mid range to pray for better rng?

LittleWhiteMouse #42 Posted 13 March 2017 - 02:44 PM

Captain

• WoWS Community Contributors
  • Members
    Beta Testers

Battleship sigma varies from 1.5 to 2.1.  Most players can't properly identify sigma based solely one the volleys they fire.

Shokaku_1 #43 Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:03 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

View PostLittleWhiteMouse, on 13 March 2017 - 09:44 AM, said:

Battleship sigma varies from 1.5 to 2.1.  Most players can't properly identify sigma based solely one the volleys they fire.

Players may not be able to read the values of sigma from the volleys they fire, but sigma value is still a key characteristic of the guns and adjusted by WG when balancing ships. What the video says "dispersion was not good at first but 'magically' got better after 20 games" is simply unconvincing, it just says the dispersion is inconsistent and you should pray to have better rng.

IJN_Hyuga #44 Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:37 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostSpeedingBus, on 12 March 2017 - 05:52 PM, said:

I am just going to make this MAJOR point these high citadel deniers aren't so bad seem to fail to realize. Nearly all normal IJN BB's with exception of the Yamato all have near water line citadels not a single one comes close to being what Iowa/Montana. Its the same story for US BB's until you get T9/10 they all near waterline citadels.

So yeah if you want Alabama that can't do anything but sit at 1/4 speed bow on and shoot with your less accurate guns then the NC go ahead buy it. The Alabama won't reward you anymore then the NC when it comes to skill level.

The fact that my Amagi seems dramatically more tanky than my NC has always struck me as highly amusing.

[KNMSU] is seeking new members. Please PM me before applying! Thank you!

CybrSlydr #45 Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:38 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Testers

View PostShokaku_1, on 13 March 2017 - 12:03 PM, said:

Players may not be able to read the values of sigma from the volleys they fire, but sigma value is still a key characteristic of the guns and adjusted by WG when balancing ships. What the video says "dispersion was not good at first but 'magically' got better after 20 games" is simply unconvincing, it just says the dispersion is inconsistent and you should pray to have better rng.

I think it's simply not that it got magically better but he just got used to it and aimed better.

CybrSlydr:  The poster you love to hate so you feel better about yourself.

World of Warships:  Video Game version of "Who's Line?..." where the rules are made up and the history doesn't matter.

Lampshade_M1A2 #46 Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:05 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

View PostCybrSlydr, on 13 March 2017 - 12:38 PM, said:

I think it's simply not that it got magically better but he just got used to it and aimed better.

How does one "aim better" to counter the spread of RNG?

CybrSlydr #47 Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:12 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Testers

View PostLampshade_M1A2, on 13 March 2017 - 01:05 PM, said:

Well, if you don't aim at the waterline all the time, you have fewer shots that go into the water - so you'll get more hits and do more damage.

CybrSlydr:  The poster you love to hate so you feel better about yourself.

World of Warships:  Video Game version of "Who's Line?..." where the rules are made up and the history doesn't matter.

Carl #48 Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:39 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Testers

View PostLampshade_M1A2, on 13 March 2017 - 06:05 PM, said:

A lot of players aim a littile too far ahead or behind, from above the front and rear of the ship are much smaller targets than the central area. rop your shells there reliably enough and you'll see a much better hit rate.

BossmanSlim #49 Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:11 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

View PostShokaku_1, on 13 March 2017 - 09:34 AM, said:

I don't get the "dispersion is ok" argument in the video.

It is wrong to say "sigma = 1.8 is ok on USN BB" when tier 7+ USN BBs all have better sigma. In fact North Carolina, Iowa and Montana used to have sigma values of 1.8 and they all had to be buffed to what they are now, which clearly says "sigma = 1.8 is not ok on USN BB". German BBs have armor and secondaries to compensate for sigma values of 1.8, Alabama has to stay at mid range to pray for better rng?

I agree with this statement.  The North Carolina was not fun to play with it's pre-buff dispersion.  I sure as heck don't want to buy a premium that has the same issue as the pre-buff North Carolina AND has crap armor on top of that.  Not only do USN BBs have lower end dispersion, they also have slow shells, which hang a lot, making it even harder to hit things.

"wont pay crapanymore to wg.lot of orange is bad for business.stop giving win to the one you favor.potato need win to.otherwise no more potato in game" - fellow forum poster

ButtesVonToota #50 Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:21 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Nothing about the gameplay in that video seemed fun to me. Sitting in the back, making short pushes and then turning to angle away again constantly trying to minimize exposure to the citadel. I also don't understand the verdict, to buy the ship if one enjoys a difficult learning curve? I wouldn't pay $60+ to be frustrated.

Also tagged with Alabama, Review

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users