Would you like to see an Exit Zone for ships to run away when useless or beaten?

Exit Surrender Poll

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

Poll: Add Exit Zone to allow useless ships to leave battle? (151 members have cast votes)

Should a carrier with no planes be allowed to exit the map as set forth below?

1. Yes (15 votes [9.87%])

Percentage of vote: 9.87%

2. Yes but only through the map edge behind its spawn (24 votes [15.79%])

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

3. No (113 votes [74.34%])

Percentage of vote: 74.34%

Should any ship with very low hit points be allowed to exit the map as set forth below?

1. Yes (14 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

2. Yes but only through the map edge behind its spawn (14 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

3. No (126 votes [81.82%])

Percentage of vote: 81.82%

Should the last few ships on a side in a lopsided battle (7 to 3 or worse) be allowed to exit the map as set forth below?

1. Yes (19 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

2. Yes but only through the map edge behind its spawn (17 votes [11.18%])

Percentage of vote: 11.18%

3. No (116 votes [76.32%])

Percentage of vote: 76.32%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

dionkraft #61 Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:46 PM

Ensign

• Members

Yeah this is a game of team effort so you gotta hang in there no matter how hopeless it is.  ...... THE WAR MUST GO ON and ON and ON!

Murotsu #62 Posted 28 March 2017 - 05:07 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

I'd agree with this idea only on the condition that ships have their firepower and speed reduced as they take damage.  That is, a heavily damaged ship is limping along at a few knots and has maybe a gun or two left to fire.  Then allowing such a damaged ship to withdraw would be acceptable.  As it is, so long as your ship has 1 HP left it can fight and move at 100%.  Sure it's fragile and a hit will sink it, but until that happens it's in the fight at full capacity.

Malamute_Kid #63 Posted 28 March 2017 - 05:21 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Commander Ernest E. Evans  'Nuff said.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson

Rolkatsuki #64 Posted 28 March 2017 - 11:40 PM

Admiral of the Navy

• Members

sorry Op I don't really like the idea, I rather have incompetent teammates than to be left with none on my team, because I wanna use them as red bait mfufufu 

The Great South Land's most truculent Dunkerque captain~

2s1vtak.png

Prood #65 Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:05 AM

Petty Officer

• Members

I believe I have seen this idea before.  Most people, like here, were opposed to the idea.   Although many were in favor of being able to scuttle their ship for various reasons.  I can see the idea behind being able to retreat and start a new battle with the same ship.  This way you can get in more time playing a ship and build up confidence with it.  I also like the way the OP set the parameters for retreating, very well thought out.  I have been in too many battles where my ship was rendered almost useless, with my guns destroyed and hp down to a few hundred points, it was pointless to continue so I aimed my ship into the heart of the enemy and press esc.  I had to wait 5 or 10 minutes to be able to play that ship again, but I just picked another and started a new match with it.  Maybe a better (more popular) idea would be to let people esc. from the match and play the same ship right away while in the ship is left in the previous match just sailing around and takes damage and give point just as if the player was still there.

BTW I voted yes.

1dennistt #66 Posted 01 April 2017 - 04:30 AM

Petty Officer

• Members

This would just encourage BB sitting at the edge of the exit, shooting at max range until everyone dies, then "retreating" without taking any damage.  In a word NO.  We already have enough of this kind of behavior without encouraging it.

jagdoc #67 Posted 01 April 2017 - 05:34 PM

• Members

We already have the option.  If you have 4 fires burning, have been hit by several torps, the repair indicator shows more than 30 secs for the damage control and repair party to fix something, and you have less than 1000 HP left. - Look at the battle timer then press CTRL/ESC (Abandon Ship) and go to the desktop.  It will take the mains 30 sec to reload after you fire and you will blow up if someone breathes on your ship!  So you know you are toast.

If I find myself being attacked by invisible ships that are not in a smoke screen I abandon ship. 

ShartingSeahorse #68 Posted 01 April 2017 - 11:05 PM

Seaman

• Members

View PostHanz_Gooblemienhoffen_42, on 10 March 2017 - 09:36 AM, said:

Or how about you finish what you started...

Reasons why that idea is less then smart:

It will cost you the same whether you live or die

the fight isn't over just cause you got hit hard.

you dont know that you cant still win.

youre part of a team..buck up and help those who are still alive.

Seriously ?

What the heck is wrong with accepting a loss and taking it like a "insert your gender here".

Exactly!

OMG...part of any competition is winning and loosing, I don't even agree with this soft "there are no losers" garbage. Really are we that soft that we are whittling down to matches where if you're to low on XP you can run out of the game and retreat? (saw it on another thread).

No matter my own personal issues I have with WG, it is competition and playing makes you better. I hate loosing! I want to  kick the cat, headbutt a toddler, shoot roman candles at my neighbour! But more importantly I want to log back in tomorrow and get better at playing! 

​There are times where I've made some really stupid mistakes, hell I accidentally torped a team mate 2 weeks ago when I derped on the distance but there were also times where I got a Kraken and carried my team for awhile until we won!

If you can't take winning or loosing this game isn't for you, so go start knitting and leave the rest of us alone to fight in our virtual reality world!!

S.S. 

mohawkdriver #69 Posted 02 April 2017 - 06:48 PM

Commander

• Members

View PostMiraclesHappen, on 10 March 2017 - 06:43 PM, said:

Fighting Ignorance costs nothing.

People just don't care for it, that's fine. But piss poor logic and outright nonsense shall not go unchallenged.

Like your post?

mohawkdriver #70 Posted 02 April 2017 - 06:50 PM

Commander

• Members

View PostMiraclesHappen, on 10 March 2017 - 07:02 PM, said:

You are confusing unpopular with bad. Use a dictionary.

No...it was bad.

Murotsu #71 Posted 02 April 2017 - 10:19 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

One way this might actually be "fair" and work is that there's some penalty involved for withdrawing early.  You lose some portion of the experience, get only a fraction of the cash, or some other combination of things that may make it less than worthwhile in some cases to pull out, in others it might be worth it.

If you're seeing a particular match where you're not getting much out of it, retreating means you likely get nothing or even a loss of experience and cash from it.  On the other hand, having played well but now you're ship is a wreck and you are close to the "last man standing" withdrawing and ending the match might be a worthwhile choice.  Okay, you take a hit on how much experience and cash you get, but you end what's a sure loss without trying for a suicidal finish.

mohawkdriver #72 Posted 03 April 2017 - 01:00 AM

Commander

• Members

View PostMurotsu, on 02 April 2017 - 10:19 PM, said:

One way this might actually be "fair" and work is that there's some penalty involved for withdrawing early.  You lose some portion of the experience, get only a fraction of the cash, or some other combination of things that may make it less than worthwhile in some cases to pull out, in others it might be worth it.

If you're seeing a particular match where you're not getting much out of it, retreating means you likely get nothing or even a loss of experience and cash from it.  On the other hand, having played well but now you're ship is a wreck and you are close to the "last man standing" withdrawing and ending the match might be a worthwhile choice.  Okay, you take a hit on how much experience and cash you get, but you end what's a sure loss without trying for a suicidal finish.

The only reason I read this is because of your avatar.

jagdoc #73 Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:06 PM

• Members

Carriers can still cap an objective.

Cruiser_kebobstuzov #74 Posted 04 April 2017 - 08:42 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

I just had a game down four ships on two occasions. If my teammates had been given a choice to leave I don't believe I would have been able to lead the comeback we had to win. If I am not mistaken repair bills were made equal dead or alive back in the fall so there is no reason besides stat padding to run off the map. If anything border grinding should begin to do damage at an exponential pace once a player has spent 1 minute on it during battle. cant stand torping or shooting border grinders.
dark.png

Murotsu #75 Posted 07 April 2017 - 11:34 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View Postmohawkdriver, on 03 April 2017 - 01:00 AM, said:

The only reason I read this is because of your avatar.

Well, it is a good avatar...!  Barnette Orangello is hot, and who can't like a girl that loves guns? :D

wowsaddict1979 #76 Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:26 AM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

I say no..However you could set up a popup window with a weapons check to activate when you search for a battle to eliminate going in to battle with out planes,camo etc.. I sit on average around 45 sec. to 2 min waiting for a battle to start...this is a great opportunity to do a 30 sec. weapons check

commodore_torakula #77 Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:34 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

One thing I don't like, that is utterly unrealistic about the game, is that somehow a ship with 3% or less of its HP, is still a factor--all guns hammering away and making top speed, dropping torps, etc.... ....total nonsense.

I've been reading about the fate of the Kirishima at the hands of the USS Washington in one of the battles around Savo Sound in 1942--this thing took at least 20 16" shells, some through the hull below the waterline, at something like 6,500 yards range,--wound up having to flood both magazines to avoid detonation, had a jammed rudder, and over 200 hands killed--the entire black gang wiped out belowdecks.

....and yet in our game conditions, as long as it had 4 HP left it'd been answering fire with its 14" rifles, fat and sassy....maybe one turret damaged.

Let the poor blighter sail off the edge of the map in that event. ...there's limits.

cya!.... ... --- ... .....!

Murotsu #78 Posted 01 May 2017 - 09:16 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

One big issue I could see with letting this occur is you have someone who looks at the match up and decides their side has little or no chance of winning and heads for the exit rather than fight at all.  It would be little different than having someone go AFK or using a bot and their ship sits doing nothing awaiting it being sunk.  So, in a very real sense, this option is already available.  It's just the ship doesn't exit the map, the player does.

desmo_2 #79 Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:32 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

Implementing this idea would be toxic for game play.

A lot of players who are low tier would just abandon the game.

Or, if a loss looks probable players will abandon the game.

Great comebacks from the brink of defeat would become even more rare.

You want more landslide games?  Because this is how you get more landslide games.

Ugh...this would be a really, really bad idea. :red_button:

The_Librarian54 #80 Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:12 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

I feel silly for commenting, but there is so much SALT in this thread... So my opinion:

Yes, this is a nice idea to add realism. In real life, fleets did not suicide. They fought until they no longer had a chance at victory (however that was defined for them) and then they withdrew. So I am in favor of this idea from such a standpoint. The problem with it is that this is an unrealistic game and I doubt that the salty salt-shakers populating it would be able to use such a mechanic without abuse, thus torpedoing an otherwise good idea. 

Additionally, the charges of cowardice being expressed by the salties in this thread ought to be leveled at the players who leave a battle while their ship is still floating, or especially the players who run away from the enemy at the end of a battle when there is no chance of a denied kill bringing victory, thus doing nothing more than drawing out a settled battle and abandoning any chance of a surprise cap or kill that MIGHT change the outcome.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users