Would you like to see an Exit Zone for ships to run away when useless or beaten?

Exit Surrender Poll

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

Poll: Add Exit Zone to allow useless ships to leave battle? (150 members have cast votes)

Should a carrier with no planes be allowed to exit the map as set forth below?

1. Yes (15 votes [9.93%])

Percentage of vote: 9.93%

2. Yes but only through the map edge behind its spawn (24 votes [15.89%])

Percentage of vote: 15.89%

3. No (112 votes [74.17%])

Percentage of vote: 74.17%

Should any ship with very low hit points be allowed to exit the map as set forth below?

1. Yes (14 votes [9.15%])

Percentage of vote: 9.15%

2. Yes but only through the map edge behind its spawn (14 votes [9.15%])

Percentage of vote: 9.15%

3. No (125 votes [81.70%])

Percentage of vote: 81.70%

Should the last few ships on a side in a lopsided battle (7 to 3 or worse) be allowed to exit the map as set forth below?

1. Yes (19 votes [12.58%])

Percentage of vote: 12.58%

2. Yes but only through the map edge behind its spawn (17 votes [11.26%])

Percentage of vote: 11.26%

3. No (115 votes [76.16%])

Percentage of vote: 76.16%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

MiraclesHappen #41 Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:51 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

View PostTaylor3006, on 10 March 2017 - 06:47 PM, said:

Look the more damage you do, the more experience and credits you get. With the new set repair prices, nothing is gained by doing this and the winning team loses experience points and the losers still have to pay the same repair bill. It is pointless to allow surrender or retreat off the map and would do nothing but prolong the game for no good reason.

Again, it saves YOUR team the deduction for the loss of your ship. So score wise it does help.

AND it saves TIME. Time has value.

Rather than waiting five minutes (or ten or three) I can start playing again in a balanced game NOW, with the same ship.

That is a benefit.

How that would prolong the game I fail to grok.

TheStarSlayer #42 Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:59 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Beta Testers

View PostMiraclesHappen, on 10 March 2017 - 06:43 PM, said:

Fighting Ignorance costs nothing.

People just don't care for it, that's fine. But piss poor logic and outright nonsense shall not go unchallenged.

You came up with a bad idea that nobody agreed with.  Responding with "I reject your reality and substitute my own." arguments are not going to suddenly make it a better one.  A ship with one hit point left is just capable of landing a devastating strike as a full health one, but if you want to throw the match so badly just hit escape and return to port. 

My Warship Skins (Mostly Historical) Ships available: 

MikasaFusō, Nagato, Amagi, Zeonic ShimakazeArkansas β, Texas, BogueIndependence, SaipanRanger, Saratoga, König Albert, Leander, Minotaur

Latest:  Sweet Home Alabama

MiraclesHappen #43 Posted 10 March 2017 - 07:02 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

View PostTheStarSlayer, on 10 March 2017 - 06:59 PM, said:

You came up with a bad idea that nobody agreed with.  Responding with "I reject your reality and substitute my own." arguments are not going to suddenly make it a better one.  A ship with one hit point left is just capable of landing a devastating strike as a full health one, but if you want to throw the match so badly just hit escape and return to port. 

You are confusing unpopular with bad. Use a dictionary.

TheStarSlayer #44 Posted 10 March 2017 - 07:19 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Beta Testers

Ah yes "Use a dictionary" how imaginative.  Lo, I am laid prostrate by thy rapier whit.

My Warship Skins (Mostly Historical) Ships available: 

MikasaFusō, Nagato, Amagi, Zeonic ShimakazeArkansas β, Texas, BogueIndependence, SaipanRanger, Saratoga, König Albert, Leander, Minotaur

Latest:  Sweet Home Alabama

Hanz_Gooblemienhoffen_42 #45 Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:04 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

View PostMiraclesHappen, on 10 March 2017 - 06:11 PM, said:

Because driving a CV into the enemy fleet takes no time at all and is such riveting fun.

Not to mention how frustrating it is to see your CV gifting points to the enemy like that.

At least in my system, he'd gift them less.

You should just play single player games, that way you can just quit and it wont effect anyone but you.

It's not about honor or even respect for the other people you play with (though that would be great)...you're simply a quitter.

That's fine, but there is no need to encourage that idea or for the game to pander for your wish to quit before the battle is done.

And now you've started to throw insults and assume an air of superiority...(the last stand of a sinking argument)...but if you really want to open that Pandora's box.....ill offer this:

Looking at your play, i can see how it correlates pretty directly with why you would want this option.

Edited by Hanz_Gooblemienhoffen_42, 10 March 2017 - 09:04 PM.

Taylor3006 #46 Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:13 PM

Ensign

• Members

View PostMiraclesHappen, on 10 March 2017 - 12:51 PM, said:

Again, it saves YOUR team the deduction for the loss of your ship. So score wise it does help.

Rather than waiting five minutes (or ten or three) I can start playing again in a balanced game NOW, with the same ship.

That is a benefit.

Well might as well not bother, just put a surrender option and you won't have to hunt down an edge to flee the battle. I get what you want to see done, I don't like the idea but can see why you want it done. Not liking the idea that one team is ahead on points but only has a carrier left with no planes and the other side still has combat ships being denied a win because you can flee the battlefield. Sure the timer can do something similar but you see it coming. Losing to the timer by points when the red team has nothing left is annoying but you know you should have capped earlier (or the like) and you accept it begrudgingly. A carrier who is usually in the backfield will see the loss coming, can park his surviving planes over a decent AA ship to kill off the last of them and then make for the back edge which he has been kinda close during the battle. That I don't like and will only lead to anger from players. Angry players don't spend money and they don't keep playing. So I say no, emphatically no. BTW saving a couple minutes is not that important in a game that takes close to 30. Not worth it, just hit the head or grab a snack, hell stretch your legs so you don't die of clots. 

Edited by Taylor3006, 10 March 2017 - 09:16 PM.

Battleship_Yamashiro #47 Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:21 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

Or!
OR
Here's a novel idea.
​Try not to hover your planes over cruiser AA or BB AA.
​And don't group them up to the point where the entire squadrons can be strafed !!

If you're gonna sail in a straight line as a BB, you're gonna have a BAD TIME.
PLEASE STOP SAILING IN A STRAIGHT LINE!
~Sincerly a DD and BB player.

mohawkdriver #48 Posted 11 March 2017 - 04:24 AM

Commander

• Members

View PostMiraclesHappen, on 10 March 2017 - 06:17 PM, said:

See above

If you think Cowardice or Bravery exist in a game you have no concept of what cowardice or bravery are.

And you also seem shy of understanding pointless AND stupid. So maybe you should get some tutoring in English.

It has a point, as laid out.

And its not stupid, its rather well crafted,

What it IS clearly is not to your liking. And that is fine. But try to become a better human and grok that what you like or not does not make things stupid or pointless or not.

Whatever.  Still bad.

mohawkdriver #49 Posted 11 March 2017 - 04:27 AM

Commander

• Members

View PostMiraclesHappen, on 10 March 2017 - 06:51 PM, said:

That is a benefit.

All these things YOU say are good ideas.  That is YOUR opinion and clearly not shared by a preponderance of forum members. 

CLUCH_CARGO #50 Posted 11 March 2017 - 05:03 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Lets say this was in acted the ships leaving the battle would lose all exp and damage and turn Vivid Pink (  the Ship in the Battle not the icon ) say 15 battles with ZERO exp earned in those 15 battles.... Then I say yes..... There is no room in this game for cowards. Play like your Life depended on Honor . Fight to the Death Never Give Up  Never Surrender.

mohawkdriver #51 Posted 11 March 2017 - 05:07 AM

Commander

• Members

View PostCLUCH_CARGO, on 11 March 2017 - 05:03 AM, said:

Lets say this was in acted the ships leaving the battle would lose all exp and damage and turn Vivid Pink (  the Ship in the Battle not the icon ) say 15 battles with ZERO exp earned in those 15 battles.... Then I say yes..... There is no room in this game for cowards. Play like your Life depended on Honor . Fight to the Death Never Give Up  Never Surrender.

Well said.  The OP seems to think cowardice is okay and denigrates everyone who sees things differently than he.  

Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi #52 Posted 11 March 2017 - 02:07 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Alpha Tester

View PostMiraclesHappen, on 10 March 2017 - 01:11 PM, said:

Because driving a CV into the enemy fleet takes no time at all and is such riveting fun.

Not to mention how frustrating it is to see your CV gifting points to the enemy like that.

At least in my system, he'd gift them less.

View PostMiraclesHappen, on 10 March 2017 - 01:13 PM, said:

Scared is such a ridiculous term to use in regard to game play.

Ever had a real gun pointing your way or been shot at by a real bullet? That is scary.

Nothing in game is, at all.

View PostMiraclesHappen, on 10 March 2017 - 01:14 PM, said:

And you cost your team what? 60 points is it? Bravo.

View PostMiraclesHappen, on 10 March 2017 - 01:16 PM, said:

It certainly does cost the other team some points. As a team they score the kill points, but the players don't - unless you give the kill to the nearest enemy.

But sealing off retreats then can become a tactic in the game, allowing more variation in play - and the same points if you spot and prevent the escape (damage cancels the flight per the OP).

But more generally, yeah maybe it costs some points. Except your game ends several moments minutes earlier with less boring game play and you get to use that time getting more points in a more entertaining game sooner.

View PostMiraclesHappen, on 10 March 2017 - 01:17 PM, said:

See above

If you think Cowardice or Bravery exist in a game you have no concept of what cowardice or bravery are.

And you also seem shy of understanding pointless AND stupid. So maybe you should get some tutoring in English.

It has a point, as laid out.

And its not stupid, its rather well crafted,

What it IS clearly is not to your liking. And that is fine. But try to become a better human and grok that what you like or not does not make things stupid or pointless or not.

View PostMiraclesHappen, on 10 March 2017 - 01:21 PM, said:

It has been my decades long experience that the masses in game forums routinely hate all change unless it was their idea. Not exactly earth shattering result.

View PostMiraclesHappen, on 10 March 2017 - 01:43 PM, said:

Fighting Ignorance costs nothing.

People just don't care for it, that's fine. But piss poor logic and outright nonsense shall not go unchallenged.

View PostMiraclesHappen, on 10 March 2017 - 01:51 PM, said:

That is a benefit.

View PostMiraclesHappen, on 10 March 2017 - 02:02 PM, said:

You are confusing unpopular with bad. Use a dictionary.

Spoiler

Edited by Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi, 11 March 2017 - 02:08 PM.

desmo_2 #53 Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:00 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

Bad idea is really, really bad.

One of the most epic finishes I have ever seen (probably) was in a T4-5 game.  It was a 3 cap domination.  We had taken all caps, then lost them as the reds began to crush our ships and pushed our remaining ships beyond the farthest cap...except for our CV.  He had used the edge of the map to flee the attack and ended up back at the first cap.  He was out of planes so started re-taking the first cap as his teammates were fighting to the end (I got sunk at some point around now).  He then went back and re-took the second cap.  By the time the clock ran out, those 2 caps he had re-taken were the difference in the game.  Out of planes, 'worthless' CV for the win.

A 'worthless' CV can be effective bait for dragging foolish players away from more strategic objectives...or can ram a ship...or draw the enemy's air power for a while.  A low-health, 'worthless' ship of any class can still deal damage and make a difference, because even a 1 hp ship retains full use of all her guns.

An option to flee may have merit in real life when ship assets take forever to replace.  In a game like this, however, fleeing would just guarantee a loss.

Jim_Mounce #54 Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:47 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

I find having a carrier with no planes a sitting duck and is so unfair that they get to sink the carrier.  Now if the carrier had guns that you could shoot at them then it might be fair play.

Unacceptable_1 #55 Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:43 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

A surrender vote might be cool,to end the battle early,if enough LIVE ships vote.....................

But I've been in quite a few battles that I could swear we would lose & in the last 3 minutes pull a win,not often but it does happen :)

Edited by Unacceptable_1, 15 March 2017 - 11:44 AM.

jagdoc #56 Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:42 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Here is a thought.  If a side has two CV's and one CV is sunk the planes in the air belonging to the destraoyed CV should be allowed to land on the remaining CV be rearmed and deployed on attacks.  A CV with no planes can still cap or hold an objective.  If the CV has no planes ALL guns on the CV become secondary and AA guns equaling a DD's firepower of it's main batteries the AA capabilities would remain the same.  At least that way it has a chance against DD's and CA's attacking it.

stubbornoctopus #57 Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:28 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

I award you no points.

aethervox #58 Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:14 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Alpha Tester

Reward cowardice?

ROFL

aethervox #59 Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:16 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Alpha Tester

View Postmohawkdriver, on 10 March 2017 - 08:44 AM, said:

Please allow me to clarify:  Stupid.

View PostTheStarSlayer, on 10 March 2017 - 10:41 AM, said:

aethervox #60 Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:29 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Alpha Tester

The few voters who are agreeing with you, OP, are either 1) stupid or 2) joking.

It is difficult to tell which, although, I'd wager it is other genuine stupids (since we all know there's so many of these in WG games).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users