Best cruiser line for a noob?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

icepac_hero #21 Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:19 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

Haze

View PostHazeGrayUnderway, on 11 March 2017 - 11:02 PM, said:

IJN Cruisers force you to learn a wide variety of aspects in the game.

===

Gunnery in ranges where BBs LOVE to shoot at.

Torpedoes.  USN Cruisers lose Torpedo capability in the tech tree from Tier VI onwards, everyone else keeps them the entire game.

Concealment.

Knowing when to use AP or their excellent HE shells.

Protecting their citadels, the upper tier IJN Cruisers are floating citadels.

===

USN Cruisers were the first line I worked on in this game but if I were able to do it over again, I would have done IJN Cruisers first.  They make you learn a lot of things and they give you good weapons to do them with.  IMO, they are the most "all around" Cruisers in the game.

The worst Cruiser line for a newbie is RN Cruiser line.  They offer a lot of tools to excel with but any mistake, you're dead.

This is actually a good point.

As a newbie what is your objective ?

- Do you wanna learn the game.  This means that you are facing a steep learning curve.  You will have a lot of frustrating games as your error margin is razor thin.  However, as Haze said, once you 'go through the grinder' you will emerge with a broad knowledge of the game enabling you to quickly transit to Destroyers, other Cruisers and Battleships (particularly the Germans).

If this is your choice then indeed go for IJN (or even RN) Cruisers...

- On the other hand, do you want to 'ease up into the game' and be competitive but stifling your learning of the game.  You will have less 'bad games' as the boat you choose will be a lot more forgiving of the typical newbie errors.  After the basics of the games have no secret for you (WASD hax!!), then you can step up to something more challenging.  You will also be able to see the other boats in actions and decide what style of play you want to develop.

If this is your choice then I suggest either USN Cruiser or Kriegsmarine BB 

BattlecruiserOperational #22 Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:43 AM

Ensign

• Beta Testers

IJN cruiser line for sure. Closely followed by the USN. Stay the hell away from the Russian cruisers as they are very unforgiving.

HazeGrayUnderway #23 Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:05 AM

Rear Admiral

• Members

View PostBattlecruiserOperational, on 17 March 2017 - 06:43 PM, said:

IJN cruiser line for sure. Closely followed by the USN. Stay the hell away from the Russian cruisers as they are very unforgiving.

The one thing RU Cruisers have that saves them from being total garbage is how good their guns are at range.  My first mistake was trying to play them like USN & IJN Cruisers.  I see a lot of newer RU Cruiser players make the same mistake, finding a short ranged fight and getting crushed.  It was only at Budyonny when it finally started to click in my head, "Hey, these guns are pretty kewl at range.  What if I keep at range and pelt people with them?"

From that point on the line shines in that specific capacity.  Schors at Tier VII took that to a higher, ridiculous level.  It actually reinforces the "Fight at Range or Die" mindset because she turns like s--t and her armor is just as s--t.  But she has speed and she has very long ranged, 152mm guns.  And she has TWELVE of the d--n things.  Chapayev, Kutuzov reinforces that even more but with some minor tweaks to style.

crzyhawk #24 Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:36 AM

Admiral

• Members
  • Beta Testers

View PostHazeGrayUnderway, on 11 March 2017 - 06:02 PM, said:

IJN Cruisers force you to learn a wide variety of aspects in the game.

===

Gunnery in ranges where BBs LOVE to shoot at.

Torpedoes.  USN Cruisers lose Torpedo capability in the tech tree from Tier VI onwards, everyone else keeps them the entire game.

Concealment.

Knowing when to use AP or their excellent HE shells.

Protecting their citadels, the upper tier IJN Cruisers are floating citadels.

===

USN Cruisers were the first line I worked on in this game but if I were able to do it over again, I would have done IJN Cruisers first.  They make you learn a lot of things and they give you good weapons to do them with.  IMO, they are the most "all around" Cruisers in the game.

The worst Cruiser line for a newbie is RN Cruiser line.  They offer a lot of tools to excel with but any mistake, you're dead.

This is excellent advice.  IJN ships will teach what you need to know.  USN cruisers will teach you how to be a whipped puppy.

crzyhawk #25 Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:39 AM

Admiral

• Members
  • Beta Testers

View Posticepac_hero, on 14 March 2017 - 03:19 PM, said:

Haze

This is actually a good point.

As a newbie what is your objective ?

- Do you wanna learn the game.  This means that you are facing a steep learning curve.  You will have a lot of frustrating games as your error margin is razor thin.  However, as Haze said, once you 'go through the grinder' you will emerge with a broad knowledge of the game enabling you to quickly transit to Destroyers, other Cruisers and Battleships (particularly the Germans).

If this is your choice then indeed go for IJN (or even RN) Cruisers...

- On the other hand, do you want to 'ease up into the game' and be competitive but stifling your learning of the game.  You will have less 'bad games' as the boat you choose will be a lot more forgiving of the typical newbie errors.  After the basics of the games have no secret for you (WASD hax!!), then you can step up to something more challenging.  You will also be able to see the other boats in actions and decide what style of play you want to develop.

If this is your choice then I suggest either USN Cruiser or Kriegsmarine BB 

Something else; don't rush to higher tiers.  Just because you have unlocked a T* ship doesn't mean you are really ready.  Chill out in T4 for a bit and hone your skills.  I honestly think the Phoenix is the single best training ship in the game.  She will literally teach you every thing you need to know to play this game.

Admiral_Thrawn_1 #26 Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:49 AM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

View PostTheStarSlayer, on 09 March 2017 - 11:52 PM, said:

If you learn all the lessons IJN cruisers can teach then you will have a sound understanding of the game mechanics.  Positioning, angling, proper ammo choice, torpedo usage, concealment its all there.  They are competitive platforms at all tiers but not overpowered enough to breed bad habits.

Which ones are the OP ones? I am willing to take the risk of falling into bad habits... :trollface:

_Rumple_ #27 Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:57 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

German cruisers followed by Japanese. Then US, Russian, British. The German line I feel has ships that are similar to the previous ship and move up to the next ship in a linear fashion. Yorck is the only oddball. They all have decent armor, good hydro, decent to very good AA at higher tier, 6km torps are ok, good AP rounds with relatively flat trajectory and good gun range. It's important to get used to how a ship plays and moving from a lower to higher tier won't hold any major surprises in how these ships play. You can't go wrong with IJN Cruisers either, but stay away from Russian and British cruisers initially until you are comfortable with cruiser play.

HazeGrayUnderway #28 Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:13 AM

Rear Admiral

• Members

View PostAdmiral_Thrawn_1, on 17 March 2017 - 10:49 PM, said:

Which ones are the OP ones? I am willing to take the risk of falling into bad habits... :trollface:

IJN ones?  Tier for tier they're solid but these stand out:

Tier VI Aoba - Poorly protected but she was very fun to use.  She has 10km torps at Tier VI... For a CRUISER!  She has 6 203mm guns that reload in 11 seconds.

Tier VII Myoko - Her worst trait is atrocious turret traverse.  But you learn to work around that by thinking ahead in your fighting and slinging your turrets where they need to be in anticipation of the fight.  But she has a powerful main battery, lots of guns, and the hallmark IJN Cruiser HE+High Fire Chance.  She was the original Fire Goddess of this game at launch and she can still put people a fire.  Don't ignore her AP as it's powerful in the right circumstances.  Her gun arrangement and how they feel set the tone for the rest of IJN Cruisers.  What you learn in gunnery with Myoko is the same for the rest of the line.  It's a very nice consistency.  This is very important, IMO, because the other lines tend to have a ship jarringly different here and there.  USN Cruisers are awful in that.  Her torpedoes are strong, long ranged.  The torpedo arcs however make them useful mostly for side-rear, rear angle shots.  Some guys don't like that but I learned to love them.  How?  Because when Myoko is retreating, that is IMO where she is most dangerous.  I remember grinding up the line and I caught a lot of guys, especially BBs, that would try to chase my Myoko.  The beautiful part with Myoko is that to launcher her entire salvos on a given side, she doesn't do the turn that often is a warning to everyone, "That @sshole is launching torps."  Myoko doesn't give that queue.  She's running and shooting back and you cannot tell when she dropped torps.

Tier VIII Mogami - Let me get this out of the way.  Mogami was nerfed hard long ago, back in late 2015.  There are 2 draws to Mogami and it makes her unique.  She starts off with 155mm guns and can upgrade later to typical 203mm guns that IJN Cruisers have starting at Tier V.  With 155mm she is the only CL-styled IJN Cruiser above Tier IV.  The ROF is good and she can set fires pretty well.  The problem is the atrocious turret traverse is almost as bad as Myoko and to me that got old real fast.  However, with the 203mm guns, her gunnery is similar to Myoko but now your turrets traverse very nicely.  It's NICE.  For the sake of grinding and if you want to remain consistent with what you learned with the 203mm IJN Cruisers, get your 203mm upgrade ASAP.  Otherwise, you can still relive CL-gunnery with the 155mm but at high tier.  Torpedoes were somewhat similar in style to Myoko.

Tier VIII Premium Atago - I think of her as a 203mm Mogami but with 2 critical differences.

1.  Hull Repair Consumable

2.  Vastly different torpedo launch arcs.  While Myoko has rearward arcing torpedo tube arcs, Atago's 4 launchers are described like this:  Take a clock and divide it into quarters.  That's how her launchers arc.  This is pretty convenient in that unlike every Tier VII+ IJN Cruiser, she has a set of torps to launch at more than rear angles.  This makes Atago dangerous in a 10km or less fight because you're never quite sure when she just launched or how many.  Be very careful if you want to launch an entire side of torps, that means showing a full broadside and Atago will get insta-rekt if caught with AP like that.

Atago is one of the oldest Premium Ships in the game, she was around when I was in Open Beta and Launch.  She is still one of the best Premiums to get.

Tier X Zao - I'm not an expert on her but she has several great qualities, differences.  Her guns are very strong, long ranged, low shell arcs, high velocity shells.  She is a sniper.  She is also a Fire Starter but never ignore her AP.  She has great concealment range.  Her torpedoes are a break from Tier VII-IX IJN Cruisers.  First, they are the F3, 8km (not the 10km of Tier V-IX IJN Cruisers), super fast torpedoes that pack tremendous power.  Secondly, the torpedo tube arcs have a side-rear angle again but emphasizing a more sideways shot.  For Tier X Cruisers she has regularly been the best or among the best performers.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway, 18 March 2017 - 09:34 AM.

Rolkatsuki #29 Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:23 AM

Admiral of the Navy

• Members

The IJN line is good smooth to decent transitioning between each on except when you move from tier 4 to tier 5 because of the different rof from the kuma's 140mm guns that fire face to the Furutaka's 200mm/203mm slow firing guns. 

The Great South Land's most truculent Dunkerque captain~

HKbChIa.png

_Marines #30 Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:39 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostHazeGrayUnderway, on 18 March 2017 - 04:13 AM, said:

Tier VIII Premium Atago - I think of her as a 203mm Mogami but with 2 critical differences.

1.  Hull Repair Consumable

2.  Vastly different torpedo launch arcs.  While Myoko has rearward arcing torpedo tube arcs, Atago's 4 launchers are described like this:  Take a clock and divide it into quarters.  That's how her launchers arc.  This is pretty convenient in that unlike every Tier VII+ IJN Cruiser, she has a set of torps to launch at more than rear angles.  This makes Atago dangerous in a 10km or less fight because you're never quite sure when she just launched or how many.  Be very careful if you want to launch an entire side of torps, that means showing a full broadside and Atago will get insta-rekt if caught with AP like that.

Atago is one of the oldest Premium Ships in the game, she was around when I was in Open Beta and Launch.  She is still one of the best Premiums to get.

Very agree. Not only is Atago great (HE>AP, flat trajectory>reload) for new players to practise, she is also a wonderful credit printer that helps you foot your bills. Here is why OP you should get an Atago too:

John_Carter_of_Mars #31 Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:28 AM

Petty Officer

• Alpha Tester

from what has been revealed about the French cruiser line, I'm thinking they could potentially become the go-to beginner cruiser line. 

dark.png

First to unlock Essex on NA server Alpha

Jupitus #32 Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:13 AM

Petty Officer

• Members

I am sort of a noob and I feel like the RN (light), German (med), and IJN (heavy) cruisers are the best and do not care for the USN and Russian lines.

RN line is fun for me and a bit like playing destoyers and as someone mentioned earlier the Russian DD line is very similar to light cruisers, fast, nimble, and with smoke stealthy, very fun.

German line is balanced, efficient, jack of all trades, good guns, decent torps, straight forward cruiser play which is kinda boring to me.

IJN line is the most heavily armored, stealth lurking, fire slinging, torpedo monster play which is fun, save for the slow turret traverse.

USN line is hampered by lack of torpedoes past tier five which means not many will fear pushing your way and those slow rainbow gun arcs, they are good for antiaircraft roles though.

Russian line seems made to play farther back sort of like artillery in a support role which can be effective, just not so fun.

Lord_Adm_Nelson #33 Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:08 PM

• Members

All have their place.

Try up to t4-t5 with all the lines, doesn't take long, explore the styles and see what appeals and how you perform.

Your playstyle will most likely determine the ship line you like the most. Beware though all lines have stinkers in them than can be frustrating, especially when they depart radically from preceding ships. T5 you usually have an inkling of the remainder of how the line is played. Its also a frustrating tier as MM seems to uptier them heavily.

You may also find you do well in ships that people say are "bad" or do lousy in "OP" ships. I find I do horrible in ships that are supposed to be OP.....Scharnhorst, Bismarck.

Fact- all lines reward situational awareness, gunnery and general play skill. All lines punish poor gunnery and bad decisions.

-Nothing beats time played in a ship. Rushing up a line is not always the best, once you can skillfully play a ship then move on. (I am guilty of speeding through some too......Emerald comes to mind)

I can give you a list of all positives and equal amounts of negatives for most any ship I have played.

5,10,15 or even 50 games is often not a true indicator of a ship and how you may perform over time. Nothing is more annoying that someone who plays 5 games in a ship and condemns it as "Unplayable Junk"

Revisit ships you don't do well in or like later on. Sometimes stepping away from one or even a line for a while is sometimes advantageous.

I Haven't played since Late Jan and look forward to all the changes and such when I get back....I will be rusty.

-

crzyhawk #34 Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:17 PM

Admiral

• Members
  • Beta Testers

View PostJupitus, on 19 March 2017 - 03:13 AM, said:

I am sort of a noob and I feel like the RN (light), German (med), and IJN (heavy) cruisers are the best and do not care for the USN and Russian lines.

RN line is fun for me and a bit like playing destoyers and as someone mentioned earlier the Russian DD line is very similar to light cruisers, fast, nimble, and with smoke stealthy, very fun.

German line is balanced, efficient, jack of all trades, good guns, decent torps, straight forward cruiser play which is kinda boring to me.

IJN line is the most heavily armored, stealth lurking, fire slinging, torpedo monster play which is fun, save for the slow turret traverse.

USN line is hampered by lack of torpedoes past tier five which means not many will fear pushing your way and those slow rainbow gun arcs, they are good for antiaircraft roles though.

Russian line seems made to play farther back sort of like artillery in a support role which can be effective, just not so fun.

USN cruisers really rely on your shooting skills.  If you can't snipe citadels on enemy cruisers, you will struggle with USN cruisers.  Their HE is not all that good and suffers from poor trajectories.  This is one reason I recommend IJN over USN, you don't need to be skilled at switching HE to AP.  Will you do better using the proper ammo?  Yes, absolutely, however if you spam HE in an IJN cruiser, you will do just fine.  German cruisers also rely on AP sniping, and for making the proper shot at the proper target.

Frankly I think confidence is the most important thing that a player needs to be successful at this game.  IJN cruisers teach the lessons that need to be learned, but you can "get away" with mistakes and still perform OK much easier than you can with other lines.  That builds confidence, and also skill.  When you feel confident about your IJN cruiser play, when you've mastered switching between HE and AP and sniping citadels, you can do out and you'll perform better when you switch to the other nationalities of cruiser.

USN cruisers in particular teach new players how to not enjoy the game.

SeaKnight_1990 #35 Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:34 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

I'd like to go over the strengths and weaknesses of each cruiser line. (Note: The highest I am on any of them is T6 on the IJN branch, so take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt. Most of this is from what I've heard, and some I've played on PT servers.)

IJN: 

Strengths: Fast and agile, guns are fairly decent, sake-infused HE works wonders, torpedoes are among the best. (Speaking of which, the HE and torpedoes yesterday netted me my second Double Strike, by torpedoing a Bayern and burning down a CO, after I got offed. I didn't see that one coming.)

Weaknesses: Thin side armor, AP so-so, torpedo arcs are poor, making them situational save on Tenryu, Taco, and Atago.

KM:

Strengths: AP more than anything. Also, they have somewhat decent armor and their torpedoes are good in close-range fights.

Weaknesses: Torpedoes only have 6-km range. HE is only good from time to time. Agility is a bit questionable.

USN:

Strengths: Gun reload and turret traverse among the best. HE is otherworldly, as is AAA.

Weaknesses: Gun arcs mean that shells have to nearly go into outer space before falling back down, and lack of torpedoes past T6 (save for Atlanta and Flint,) along with poor armor means brawling abilities are handicapped.

VMF:

Strengths: Glorious vodka-infused Stalinium HE shells can devastate almost anything! AAA isn't that half bad.

Weaknesses: Torpedoes are mainly for those "oh sh--!" moments. Very short range, and the ships themselves are made out of citadels.

RN: 

Strengths: Interesting and varied choice of consumables, including repair kits and smoke. Guns are solid, and torpedoes are effective when used right.

Weaknesses: No HE on non-premiums. (Excluding Belfast and HMAS Perth.) Ships are made of citadels, so avoid showing yourself to the wrong ships. Sailing broadside onto a BB, as The Mighty Jingles would say, that's a paddlin'.

That's basically the gist of what each cruiser branch has to offer. Hope this helps!

dark.png

HazeGrayUnderway #36 Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:37 PM

Rear Admiral

• Members

View Postcrzyhawk, on 19 March 2017 - 09:17 AM, said:

USN cruisers really rely on your shooting skills.  If you can't snipe citadels on enemy cruisers, you will struggle with USN cruisers.  Their HE is not all that good and suffers from poor trajectories.  This is one reason I recommend IJN over USN, you don't need to be skilled at switching HE to AP.  Will you do better using the proper ammo?  Yes, absolutely, however if you spam HE in an IJN cruiser, you will do just fine.  German cruisers also rely on AP sniping, and for making the proper shot at the proper target.

Frankly I think confidence is the most important thing that a player needs to be successful at this game.  IJN cruisers teach the lessons that need to be learned, but you can "get away" with mistakes and still perform OK much easier than you can with other lines.  That builds confidence, and also skill.  When you feel confident about your IJN cruiser play, when you've mastered switching between HE and AP and sniping citadels, you can do out and you'll perform better when you switch to the other nationalities of cruiser.

USN cruisers in particular teach new players how to not enjoy the game.

I want to add that the nice AP shells of USN Cruisers and high damage values of German Cruiser AP are situational.  You covered the USN Cruiser aspect but I want to add that the German AP is simply unreliable.  Sure, if you got a broadside target you will wreck the target, especially if you can catch an RN CL like that.  The problem is outside that high damage value, German Cruiser AP is like any other... They shatter, non-pen, etc. all too frequently, and this is especially true at range.  The special German Cruiser AP is one you can't stick with all match unless one likes their shells bouncing, non-penning a lot.  You can maybe get away with this at lower tiers but once you're facing higher and higher tier opposition you just can't rely on it at all.  You can get away with slotting AP all the time to insta-rek that dumb Emerald sailing broadside at 9km, but at Tier VIII+, that occurrence is rare.  Even Tier VI BBs will angle and your German AP is now next to useless.

So this forces German Cruisers to eventually adopt something their shells are bad at.  Relying on HE for steady damage output.  Except German Cruiser HE, as punishment for having higher AP damage values, have abysmal HE shell characteristics.  Coupled with very low Fire Chance, it's annoying.  The only German Cruiser that doesn't suffer from that is Yorck where her shell circumstances are completely different from the rest of the German line.  Even with Demo Expert, German Cruiser HE shells still have mediocre Fire Chance.

In contrast as you said, you have IJN Cruisers.  Solid, SOLID HE shells and if you stuck with them the whole match, you can't go wrong.  But they still have good enough AP to lay the hurt in when the opportunity is there.  RU Cruisers?  They're great in HE+Fires also and they are spammy ships.  In addition their AP is still good enough to get the job done.

IMO, if you want the most reliable Cruiser Gunnery, IJN and RU is the way to go.  RU ones are faster with their many 152mm ships and a few 180mm.  IJN ones fire slower with their reliance on 203mm shells but nobody has ever, ever complained about the efficiency of IJN Cruiser shells.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway, 19 March 2017 - 07:38 PM.

SeaKnight_1990 #37 Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:44 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

And also, if your ship has torpedoes (i.e. USN T4-5, T7 Premium, IJN and RN, T3-up, KM, T4-up, VMF T4-9,) DO NOT FORGET YOU HAVE THEM!!!!! If possible, if and when you pick a fight with a BB (or vice versa,) just try to stay alive and close the range for an attack. It's always fun trying to do a Captain Evans impersonation. 

dark.png

Rikiri_Kardo #38 Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:43 PM

Seaman

• Beta Testers

I'm going to make an often repeated suggestion... slow down. If you stay in the USN line, go back to at least the Phoenix or even better the St Louis. Learn the maps, learn tactics and then work your way up tiers. All ship lines have something going for them and something against them too. Whether that would affect you or not depends on the style of play that suits you best personally. I happen to love the T4 Phoenix although statistically it's the worst T4 cruiser. So there is no right or wrong answer to what's best. Good luck, hope you enjoy the game!

LB_Binghamton #39 Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:56 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View Post_Marines, on 18 March 2017 - 05:39 PM, said:

Very agree. Not only is Atago great (HE>AP, flat trajectory>reload) for new players to practise, she is also a wonderful credit printer that helps you foot your bills. Here is why OP you should get an Atago too:

Nice game I'm just not sure that the success was due to the ship, the Captain, or the fact that no one targeted you for the entire game. I want one of those games.

CaptainKaitoGhost #40 Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:40 PM

• Members

Update:  Been having a lot of fun with the Kuma.

Come visit the Bunker!  A casual place to talk about the game!

http://thebunker.fre.../world-warships

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users