What makes a good destroyer hunter?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Vaporisor #1 Posted 09 March 2017 - 07:05 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

I love playing support roles in most games.  Ships is no exception.  Previously I asked about AA speced ships.  Then yesterday I got the hydro duration boost in a super container.  It got me thinking, what cruisers and skills really can optimize for going out and DD hunting?

The following is an existing discussion from last year on the topic.

http://forum.worldof...er#entry2117556

It is looking like destroyers, paricularily russian excel.  However, they do not have hydro so the focus of the build around this booster wouldnt fit.  On the surface, it does look like german cruisers do have an advantage with their already longer range, and duration.  Perhaps the german destroyers?  How does that line play mid to high tier?

Then again, we do have high tier russian, american and british cruisers.  Perhaps I respec my Rusrus commander in my chappy to be anti DD.  It is effective with non spec, but it also, at least to me, to vuln to push into engagements due to limited turning and epic broadside.

Edited by Vaporisor, 09 March 2017 - 07:10 PM.

Admiral_Franz_von_Hipper #2 Posted 09 March 2017 - 07:09 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

Ships with high rates of fire and relatively quick turret traverses are the best at DD hunting. That would be the majority of the RN cruisers, USN DDs (at close ranges), and a few of the low-tier cruisers like the St Louis, Bogatyr, Svietlana, and Kuma.

"Hit First. Hit Hard. Keep on Hitting" ~ John "Jackie" Fisher

Ships in Port:

German Tech Tree Suggestion     Enable Training Rooms Manually

Sharkbait_416 #3 Posted 09 March 2017 - 07:11 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Above all, accuracy. RN Cruisers are the best for anti DD duty.

Follow the link for a WoWS Invite Code: http://playtogether..../invite/7gbYqmz

joris92 #4 Posted 09 March 2017 - 07:12 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Atlanta :trollface:

​(Wow, my stats are getting worse every week lolz)

Edited by joris92, 09 March 2017 - 07:12 PM.

​Favorite ship: Atlanta :3

Vaporisor #5 Posted 09 March 2017 - 07:13 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostAdmiral_Franz_von_Hipper, on 09 March 2017 - 07:09 PM, said:

Ships with high rates of fire and relatively quick turret traverses are the best at DD hunting. That would be the majority of the RN cruisers, USN DDs (at close ranges), and a few of the low-tier cruisers like the St Louis, Bogatyr, Svietlana, and Kuma.

Just edited my comment above and saw you posted.  I was leaning towards rebuilding my chappy to have anti DD supporting modules more.  It has a new commander since I got a donskoi and did work well for the role.

ckupf #6 Posted 09 March 2017 - 07:15 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

The hydro duration boost is not the answer.

The best DD hunters are fast firing cruisers and destroyers with high DPS and preferably flat shell arcs. Radar is the best consumable, followed by hydro, smoke is useful in conjunction with either of those. Faster and more maneuverable cruisers are better.

Inside 5km the USN often make the best DD hunters. The RN is excellent too. Russian cruisers and destroyers are also solid hunters.

Hydro makes German DDs competitive but if they are spotted in that range they lose out to USN DDs and often VMF DDs too.

X15 #7 Posted 09 March 2017 - 07:18 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

German destroyers are not worth it right now. But here are the ships I would worry about in a DD:

Tier 3-6 and 9-10 USN cruisers 8-10 have radar

Tier 5-10 Russian 8-10 have radar

$-Tier 5-10, especially 7, German cruisers. These benefit the most from that module.

Tier 7-9 IJN but beware the torpedoes on them all. Zaos usually take ranged positions so I rarely contend with them.

Tier 8-10 German BBs, these will also benefit greatly.

The entire RN line.

Edited by X15, 09 March 2017 - 07:19 PM.

RivertheRoyal #8 Posted 09 March 2017 - 07:26 PM

Commander

• Members

I use my Atago when the battle queue is flooded by DD's.

9.1km detection means that they have no chance of survival by the time I pop up out of concealment. The guns regularly do 6000~dmg per salvo, and I have torpedoes and hydro to flush out smoke, as well as spotter planes to check out the areas around me.

She's an absolute monster in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing.

Actually, the same could be said of any IJN cruiser above T6 or so. And starting at the Mogami they become very deadly to DD's if the captains are willing to get close enough. The Zao is pretty much the pinnacle of DD hunting. If you see one closer than 14 km or so, be wary. If they're 10 km or closer, run.       

poeticmotion #9 Posted 09 March 2017 - 07:31 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View Postjoris92, on 09 March 2017 - 07:12 PM, said:

(Wow, my stats are getting worse every week lolz)

Had a hell of a near-carry this morning in ranked, tho. Thought you were going to save the day for your team (on Mountain Path, you were in Fiji as was I and you were trying to carry your potato teammates in the ARP Nachi and sniper/camper Nagato). 

View PostVaporisor, on 09 March 2017 - 07:05 PM, said:

I love playing support roles in most games.  Ships is no exception.  Previously I asked about AA speced ships.  Then yesterday I got the hydro duration boost in a super container.  It got me thinking, what cruisers and skills really can optimize for going out and DD hunting?

RN cruisers are excellent for DD hunting throughout the line. Hunting/killing DDs is my #1 priority in Leander through Neptune and sometimes in Minotaur depending on the map and whether I can position myself without getting deleted. 

Russian cruisers are excellent DD hunters, esp with radar from Chappy onwards. Moskva is literally one of two cruisers that scare me in my Khab as it has the shell arcs to hit me at my max gun range (other being Zao.) 

Russian DDs are excellent for engaging DDs at range, but not necessarily DD hunters due to the disparity in detection (although their high speed allows them to run down a DD once they know roughly where one is.) USN DDs are very good DD hunter / killers. But neither of these carry hydro.   German DDs do have hydro, and if their gun bloom is ever buffed they'll be better DD hunters than they are but it's very situational right now. 

Edited by poeticmotion, 09 March 2017 - 07:38 PM.

Tier 10: Khabarovsk, Kurfurst, Minotaur, Tier 9: Fletcher, Friedrich, Udaloi,, Z-46 Tier 8: North Carolina, Bismarck, Z-23, Edinburgh ARP Takao, Akizuki, Kiev, Ognevoi Tier 7: all ARP Myokos, Gneisenau, Leningrad, ShiratsuyuFiji, Tier 6: Budyonny, FarragutShinonome, Fuso, Leander, Bayern, Graf Spee  Tier 5: Kamikaze-R, all ARP Kongos Tier 4: Clemson, IshizuchiV170, Kaiser Tier 2: Tachibana, Mikasa

My guides: Poetic's Guide To Getting Gud Or At Least Less Bad: Tips From A Former Potato     Poetic's post-0.6.0 guide to DD skills and capt builds

The URL Guy is OP, but please don't nerf him. 

Ujenele #10 Posted 09 March 2017 - 07:38 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

RN  Cruiser are great DD hunters. But for me the all time best DD hunter/killer -  Penzacola! :playing:

I am a Beta Tester - fun is not my objective but fun will be had.

I will test all manners of balance and unbalance with zeal and objectivity.

I will provide constructive criticism and thoughtful suggestions.

I will not whine, I will not whine. For I am a Beta TESTER.

Vaporisor #11 Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:05 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

I hadnt thought too hard about anti DD build RN.  It is my first line I started building until I was having trouble getting the feel for em in mid tier.  My build probably can be reconfigured slightly and approach from a flanker perspective in play.  

Will have to hop in my fiji tonight and experiment before putting module on and see how close I am to the Edinburgh.  I had never really did DD focus because I thought needed to really  have HE but recently I am getting more used to how AP hits.

Concealment build should help me get the jump, and turret rotation for the tracking?  While not overly strong, AA enough to have that bit of secondary to thwart carrier strikes and hunt them as well.

Thanks for the inspiration guys, any other tips or suggestions if building RN that route?

Edited by Vaporisor, 09 March 2017 - 08:07 PM.

SgtMajorBuzz #12 Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:13 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

If you don't mind premiums, the Kutuzov makes a ridiculously awesome AA boat/HE fire spammer/ DD hunter.

Edited by SgtMajorBuzz, 09 March 2017 - 08:14 PM.

Crucis #13 Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:15 PM

Rear Admiral

• Members

I'd say that having good HE is important too.  It sucks to have weak HE and need to get more hits to produce the damage to kill a DD.

It also helps to have a good number of forward facing guns.  I find the the Roon (and Kberg and N-berg) aren't great DD hunters because 2/3's of their firepower is in their rear facing turrets.  OTOH, a DD like the Baltimore with 2 forward facing triple turrets makes a good DD hunter (Mounting radar doesn't hurt either).  Ditto for the Chappy at tier 8.

Vaporisor #14 Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:41 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostCrucis, on 09 March 2017 - 08:15 PM, said:

I'd say that having good HE is important too.  It sucks to have weak HE and need to get more hits to produce the damage to kill a DD.

It also helps to have a good number of forward facing guns.  I find the the Roon (and Kberg and N-berg) aren't great DD hunters because 2/3's of their firepower is in their rear facing turrets.  OTOH, a DD like the Baltimore with 2 forward facing triple turrets makes a good DD hunter (Mounting radar doesn't hurt either).  Ditto for the Chappy at tier 8.

Chappy with IFHE is ludicrous for anti DD warfare.  I noticed how much when I put a new commander in.  Old commander often two shotted DDs and consistently hammered incapacitations.  If I was tiered up, almost felt sorry for them.  While IFHE is nice for the increased shell damage, I do love it for the incap reason.  That said, I dont know for fact how that works in terms of game mechanics.  It could be my imagination.

Vaporisor #15 Posted 10 March 2017 - 08:12 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Thanks for the tips and advice guys.  Looking at the RN ships definitely was the right choice.  I went into matches with fiji under the plan to play more as a harasser and a DD guard.  I found it quite enjoyable from that perspective.  Heck, to make thing interesting, I even fit the spotter to rotate out if needed in place of the smoke.  Played mobile, made use of cover to reposition and hit the unsuspecting.

Overall, was great fun and it hit dessies harder than I thought they would.  Had some good gMes, some average ones but nothing I felt as bad with this approach.  As I start playing again, will do better.  I just need to gain a feel for the ship again, accuracy left some things to be desired on my end.  Wasnt getting  cits on shots I normally would, but practice makes perfect.

Kudos all, thanks for the brainstorm assist.

joris92 #16 Posted 10 March 2017 - 08:32 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View Postpoeticmotion, on 09 March 2017 - 07:31 PM, said:

Had a hell of a near-carry this morning in ranked, tho. Thought you were going to save the day for your team (on Mountain Path, you were in Fiji as was I and you were trying to carry your potato teammates in the ARP Nachi and sniper/camper Nagato).

Haha thanks Poetic, but I am still doing terrible. If you look at my WTR/WR graphs you will see this. I think I lost my edge :)

Luckily it is time to leave again for a long period for work.

​Favorite ship: Atlanta :3

Venom81 #17 Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:36 AM

Lieutenant

• Members

View Postpoeticmotion, on 09 March 2017 - 02:31 PM, said:

USN DDs are very good DD hunter / killers. But neither of these carry hydro.

...very good DD hunter / killers. But neither of these carry hydro.

...But neither of these carry hydro.

...carry hydro.

Happy to assist!:yes_cap:

Muh sheeps in pert:

~ US ~  Smith, New York, Texas, Marblehead, Arizona, Benson ~ Japan ~ Tachibana, Yubari, Isizuchi, Kamikaze R, Furutaka, Shiratsuyu, Atago  ~ VMF ~ Murmansk, Budyonny, Molotov, Leningrad, Kiev, Udaloi ~ KM ~  Emden, Konig Albert, V-170, Bayern, Admiral Graf Spee, Nurnberg, Scharnhorst  ~ RN ~  Campeltown, Leander, Warspite, Belfast  ~ PLAN/ROCN ~  Anshan, Lo Yang ~ ORP ~ Blyskawica

poeticmotion #18 Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:41 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View PostVenom81, on 10 March 2017 - 09:36 AM, said:

Happy to assist!:yes_cap:

Except that I was only referencing tech tree ships. Yes, we know Lo Yang carries hydro. It's also missing a gun and has [edited]torps, and costs too much.

Tier 10: Khabarovsk, Kurfurst, Minotaur, Tier 9: Fletcher, Friedrich, Udaloi,, Z-46 Tier 8: North Carolina, Bismarck, Z-23, Edinburgh ARP Takao, Akizuki, Kiev, Ognevoi Tier 7: all ARP Myokos, Gneisenau, Leningrad, ShiratsuyuFiji, Tier 6: Budyonny, FarragutShinonome, Fuso, Leander, Bayern, Graf Spee  Tier 5: Kamikaze-R, all ARP Kongos Tier 4: Clemson, IshizuchiV170, Kaiser Tier 2: Tachibana, Mikasa

My guides: Poetic's Guide To Getting Gud Or At Least Less Bad: Tips From A Former Potato     Poetic's post-0.6.0 guide to DD skills and capt builds

The URL Guy is OP, but please don't nerf him. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users