2 Brothers Map

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Admiral_Thrawn_1 #1 Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:42 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Just curious what are the strategies for 2 Brothers map because players seem to want to avoid the center pass between the 2 main islands so enemy was completely taken by surprise when I managed to get my Kongo Battleship though there and attack an enemy that had gone to both flanks?

poeticmotion #2 Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:53 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

It is vanishingly rare that rushing the pass early-game works. I have seen far more games lost by one or more ships rushing the pass early and getting deleted for no effect than I have games won. It's a potato tactic. 

It does come in handy on occasion in mid to late game for DDs and cruisers; for BBs, you better be sure there's no torpboats waiting for you at the other end. 

Tier 10: Khabarovsk, Kurfurst, Minotaur, Tier 9: Fletcher, Friedrich, Udaloi,, Z-46 Tier 8: North Carolina, Bismarck, Z-23, Edinburgh ARP Takao, Akizuki, Kiev, Ognevoi Tier 7: all ARP Myokos, Gneisenau, Leningrad, ShiratsuyuFiji, Tier 6: Budyonny, FarragutShinonome, Fuso, Leander, Bayern, Graf Spee  Tier 5: Kamikaze-R, all ARP Kongos Tier 4: Clemson, IshizuchiV170, Kaiser Tier 2: Tachibana, Mikasa

My guides: Poetic's Guide To Getting Gud Or At Least Less Bad: Tips From A Former Potato     Poetic's post-0.6.0 guide to DD skills and capt builds

The URL Guy is OP, but please don't nerf him. 

MrEndeavour #3 Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:53 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Usually going through the center results in death. In the beginning of the game that is. When I play that map I hope that players cover each flank instead of the whole team going clockwise or counter clockwise around the map. Using the center straight is sometimes a pretty good strategy later in the game.

[-K-]

Ranked Season 6: Rank 1: 116 battles, 65% win rate

"Sometimes the smartest thing you can do is to play dumb"

devastator5000 #4 Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:54 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

The center is most often suicide as you can get killed early on and not effect the flow of the battle as much as sweeping around the outside.

The strategy that I feel works best is splitting into two flanks one on each side and the goal of the side with the more enemies is to hold out till the stronger flank forces the enemy to fight from the front and behind.

Something I found on the SEA server website

poeticmotion #5 Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:56 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

Also, it's not hard to find map tactics if you look at the website. https://worldofwarsh...henameteorhits/

Tier 10: Khabarovsk, Kurfurst, Minotaur, Tier 9: Fletcher, Friedrich, Udaloi,, Z-46 Tier 8: North Carolina, Bismarck, Z-23, Edinburgh ARP Takao, Akizuki, Kiev, Ognevoi Tier 7: all ARP Myokos, Gneisenau, Leningrad, ShiratsuyuFiji, Tier 6: Budyonny, FarragutShinonome, Fuso, Leander, Bayern, Graf Spee  Tier 5: Kamikaze-R, all ARP Kongos Tier 4: Clemson, IshizuchiV170, Kaiser Tier 2: Tachibana, Mikasa

My guides: Poetic's Guide To Getting Gud Or At Least Less Bad: Tips From A Former Potato     Poetic's post-0.6.0 guide to DD skills and capt builds

Admiral_Thrawn_1 #6 Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:01 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View Postpoeticmotion, on 08 March 2017 - 05:53 PM, said:

It is vanishingly rare that rushing the pass early-game works. I have seen far more games lost by one or more ships rushing the pass early and getting deleted for no effect than I have games won. It's a potato tactic. 

It does come in handy on occasion in mid to late game for DDs and cruisers; for BBs, you better be sure there's no torpboats waiting for you at the other end. 

yeah I crawled though and had planned ahead and was ready to broadside, plus got head count on enemy as they appeared during my trip to the pass so was 99% sure there would be no problems. But yeah will definately think twice if shy ships are unacccounted for.

sbcptnitro #7 Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:09 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

View PostAdmiral_Thrawn_1, on 08 March 2017 - 01:01 PM, said:

yeah I crawled though and had planned ahead and was ready to broadside, plus got head count on enemy as they appeared during my trip to the pass so was 99% sure there would be no problems. But yeah will definately think twice if shy ships are unacccounted for.

Be very careful of this strategy. I was in my Gearing recently when the enemy team decided to send a third of it's fleet through the center. 

Spotting planes alerted us as they hit the midway point in the channel. We easy converged and sunk them.

Then got accused of camping in spawn, but we were actually fairly spread out. We just all reacted as soon as we got the warning. The enemy team didn't think it was possible to converge on them that quickly.

Food for thought.

AVR_Project #8 Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:20 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

In a CV battle....   NO No no NO, and NO Way.

In a battle where half the ships are destroyers...   staged volleys of torps..  sometimes works.

Did that once with the Lo Yang, popping hydro and smoke at the opposite side.

Actually had an enemy trapped from both sides in there once.  My torpedoes hit a friendly on the other side.

So much has been lost, so much forgotten. So much pain, so much blood. And for what? I wonder. The past tempts us, the present confuses us, and the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between. But there is still time to seize that one last, fragile moment. To choose something better, to make a difference.  -- Babylon 5

poeticmotion #9 Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:21 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View PostAdmiral_Thrawn_1, on 08 March 2017 - 06:01 PM, said:

It doesn't take long for DDs to flex back even if you exit the channel. And very few players with your stats have the situational awareness to account for every torp-carrying ship on the enemy team even if they have all been spotted recently. Not to mention that the benefit is limited as you might sink a ship before you die but you won't hold the cap against a team that's any good at all, especially in early game. 

OTOH, if you ever see me on the opposing team on Two Brothers, please by all means experiment further with this tactic. I'm sure it will go very well. 

El_Swamp_Rat #10 Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:36 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

I've been in at least 2 matches that I can remember where, just for fun, and no CV's, over half the fleet rushed thru the mid. We caught them off guard and won both times. It was a great battle, lol.

Yes, in general it's a bad plan, but if you want to have some fun, and can get your team mates to actually commit, try it sometime.

OgreMkV #11 Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:42 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

It's possible for one destroyer to hold the center against 3 ships coming through (I did it).

In general, it's a bad idea for the fleet to split and rush all the way to the sides of the map (which does happen). Once the closet ship is 3 grids away from the center, then anything can go through the center and win by capture.

No matter what ship I'm in, I will stay closer to the center until time comes to push. If you push with several ships, then the enemy doesn't have time to sneak one or two through the center. 

aethervox #12 Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:01 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Alpha Tester

Nor recommended most times, OP, as you can see why by others comments.

Sabot_100 #13 Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:47 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

The reason it sometimes works is that it is a suicide tactic that will lose 90%+ of the time. Therefore sometimes teams forget to leave any cover for  ship(s) sneaking through. It is a roll of the dice and you need to roll boxcars to win. CVs truly make this suicide.

I suppose it could still be a tactic to weaken the enemy flanks when one  DD sneaks through causing numerous red ships to disengage from the standard flank fights and run back to annihilate the ship in the CAP. The DD still probably dies (but might scoot back down the channel) but it has taken a disproportionate number of red ships temporarily out of the fight. Still risky if you are spotted early or there is a CAP guard present to ruin your day.

dust340man #14 Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:16 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

The strategy of going down the middle early almost always fails but can be very effective lets say 10 minute mark or past. But there are exceptions! Over the weekend I was in my Pensacola in a Tier 5-7 domination battle on Two Brothers map. It was probably at the 3 minute mark that our Nurmberg parked in front of gap in our cap sunk an enemy DD that had thoughts of making a Banzai run. Well then the Nurmberg says what the heck and starts down the gap from the north end of the map C cap. So I say what the heck and follow him about 4-5km back as the team was kinda wishy washy on whether they were going to go A or D. He goes down and parks on the left side next to the cliff and starts opening up with HE pretty much bow on to a couple of Kongos that were pretty close but didn't have angles for good shots at him. He was backing up slowly at times.  I come down and park on along side the right cliff just peaking my front guns around the cliff at times, firing and then backing up. The Kongos couldn't hit me with the cliff blocking most of my ship. Then the one Kongo got tired of us headed west and the other stayed trying to shell us. The Nurmberg started to take some hits so he called to the boiler room and said "give me all you got chief". He goes out into enemy B cap and sinks the Kongo with his torps. Either the Kongo or a Leander sinks him right after then. I move out into the cap and surprise the enemy Leander which is backing up to shore broadside to me off to my right maybe getting ready to send torps if he hadn't already used them. I give him a full broadside scoring 4 citadels and huge damage sinking him on that one salvo. Two more enemy cruisers are in the cap zone (think a NUrmberg & Myoko) showing me there broadsides too at times. I sink both of them with 4 more citadels and we are winning the battle and I'm capping the B enemy cap zone. Well while this was going on our team must have failed to get their act together and push down one side as I never see an allied ship show up. With about one minute left we are still winning on points but down to me the "last hope" at 1250 HP hiding behind a rock in B cap being stalked by the 2 enemy ships left a Yorck and a DD I can't remember. Well the DD sneaks up and torps me with about 30-40 seconds left for the win. One helluva fun and exciting battle for me. 66K damage, 3 sunk cruisers with 8 AP citadels and a few fires on the Kongos.

Edited by dust340man, 21 March 2017 - 04:17 AM.

American ships: St. Louis, Phoenix, Pensacola, New York, Texas, Colorado, Wickes, Farragut, Sims

Russian ships: Orlan, Bogatyr, Svetlana, Murmansk Molotov, Derzki, Gnevny, Ognevoi

Japanese ships: Kuma, Southern Dragon, ARP Ashigara, ARP Hagura, ARP Nachi, ARP Myoko, Ishizuchi, ARP Heil, ARP Kongo, ARP Krishima, ARP Haruna, Nagato, Umikaze, Mutsuki, Fubuki, Hatsuhuru, Akatsuki

German ships: G-101, Konigsberg, Yorck, Konig, Bayern & Tirpitz

British Ship: tried them but didn't like them, maybe a Belfast in the future.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users