Tier 8 Premium French Cruiser Proposal

Atlanta French cruiser

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

The_first_harbinger #1 Posted 07 March 2017 - 02:20 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

A proposal for a new tier 8 French Cruiser, De Grasse. I shall shamelessly rip off the LWM ship review format for this proposal. Sorry~

Tier 8 Premium French Cruiser

De Grasse

With such an arsenal on board, the enemy can only hope De Grasse doesn't spot them on the battlefield.

Quick Summary: A fast, maneuverable and confident cruiser similar to Atlanta in firepower, but with improved ballistics and workable armor similar to her tier 8 cruiser colleagues.

Date Written: March 6th, 2017

Closest in-game contemporary: I wanted to say Atlanta, but the similarity ends sharply at main battery caliber and fire volume, Minotaur is in some sense more comparable.

Degree of similarity:Clone / Sister-ship Related Class Similar Role / Unique

This cruiser is really a mixed bag of a ship with very unique play style, but still quite familiar to captains with some experience across different cruiser branches. 

PROS

-Massively improved ballistics over Atlanta, with muzzle velocity sitting nicely at 808 mps

-Good volume of fire at maximum of 12 guns per board side and reload at 4 seconds

-127mm rifle can benefit from a wide range of armaments

-Deadly AA even against the most lethal of aircrafts

-Respectable armor especially around hull and decks

-Interesting placement of main batteries ensure good forward firepower

CONS:

-Anemic hit points due to her small displacement

-Worsened concealment 

-Light shells means shell speed tends to drop over great distances

-Ineffective placement of main battery turrets and lack of torpedo armament can be painful in certain conditions

-Armor, while improved, still suffers from a vulnerable citadel

-Lack of range in her main battery stock

Have your white flag ready?

Same shells, same role in fleet, same design mantra, De Grasse is very similar with Atlanta in her monstrous DPM both anti-surface and anti-air. The difference mainly stands in gun characteristics. Such a DP mount is comparable with American counterpart in its lightening fast traverse and elevation, but the French gun features a much more respectable ballistic. This means De Grasse is not so well suited for island camping, but felt more at home in open waters-and she's well prepared for it. The belt of the De Grasse is a very mediocre 100mm, but the deck of De Grasse is excellent: 38mm, meaning that even the Yamato will have problems with such deck at a range under 16km. This doesn't mean this French should chase BBs around, but certainly this is not a tissue paper ship like Atlanta is caught in a long range engagement.

De Grasse does require quite a bit of captain skills, especially AFT, and on a lesser degree upon BFT, DM and IFHE. The HE performance should be very familiar to USN dd and Atlanta/Flint captains, but the AP does receive extra penetration value thanks to the higher muzzle velocity which can be quite handy.

The lethality of De Grasse should become well-known with her release-aside from the terrifying 127mm DP guns, De Grasse also boasts a very handsome suite of 10 dual 57mm mounts, meaning her AA reaches far and hits hard, creating a "no-fly" zone for all opposing CVs.

Overall Impressions:

Skill floor: Simple Casual Challenging / Difficult

Skill ceiling:Low Moderate / High / Extreme

This is not a ship for new comers or derps, or players lacking an experienced French commander. The ability to find the perfect balance between a confident and dynamic play-style and a passive defense stance is the key in achieving success. She might have some staying power thanks to the substantial armor, but her hit points does not allow her to be as comfortable exchanging fire against heavy warriors like Chapaeyv, Admiral Hipper, Mogami, and especially the newly buff USS New Orleans.

But in terms of raw carry potential? The sky's the limit. As long is this ship still floats, a very substantial DPM will constantly rain above the enemy team, also a very nasty large AA bubble as well. Destroyers, Battleships, CVS will very easily succumb under De Grasse's armaments. It's the same tier cruisers that might pose a more serious threat. Still, a withering firepower can put a singled out enemy down.

What do you guys think? Leave an upvote if you like it~

Edited by The_first_harbinger, 07 March 2017 - 02:44 AM.

"May the Meteorblitzkrieg begin!"
Battleship Cult Cardinal

Ships that deserves Admirals' love series

Latest addition: Algérie

Unabletony #2 Posted 07 March 2017 - 02:24 AM

Rear Admiral

• Members

I just like guns~

I would put a +1 if there was a kancolle image attached...

No votes for you!

Spoiler

e

Edited by Unabletony, 07 March 2017 - 02:24 AM.

Because Hyuuga is cute~

Azuki is my catpanion~

Take that, Nyagato-sempai~!

godzilla5549 #3 Posted 07 March 2017 - 02:30 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

Just a note, the picture you have is of Colbert (C611). De Grasse is designated (C610).

They are both visually almost exactly identical so it would be easy to get them mixed up.

What is likely to be a problem with having De Grasse at Tier VIII is that it has absurd AA potential. The main armament is the 127mm/54 Model 1951 which is almost the exact same as the USN 127mm/54 (they fire the exact same ammunition). The other guns are the 57mm/60 Model 1951 Bofors mounts which are fully controlled by radar FCS.

If you want my stats, go look for them yourself. I won't be playing much at all for a bit so it won't matter anyways.

My French Battleship Tech Tree Proposal - My French Destroyer Tech Tree Proposal - My French Cruiser Tech Tree Proposal

Spoiler

Harbyharpity #4 Posted 07 March 2017 - 02:31 AM

Seaman

• Members

G-Geez...How long did it take you? It's a school day you know...

U-Upvote...

To the victor goes the spoils!

The_first_harbinger #5 Posted 07 March 2017 - 02:36 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View Postgodzilla5549, on 06 March 2017 - 06:30 PM, said:

What is likely to be a problem with having De Grasse at Tier VIII is that it has absurd AA potential. The main armament is the 127mm/54 Model 1951 which is almost the exact same as the USN 127mm/54 (they fire the exact same ammunition). The other guns are the 57mm/60 Model 1951 Bofors mounts which are fully controlled by radar FCS.

I think this can be mitigated by either not giving her defensiveAA, or basically give her a choice between AA and other consumables like Radar, Hydro, or rumored main battery reload boost or engine boost. 

Atlanta's AA is game breaking at her tier too, but it didn't stop WG~

Edited by The_first_harbinger, 07 March 2017 - 02:36 AM.

Battleship Cult Cardinal

yamatotamura #6 Posted 07 March 2017 - 02:46 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

So you want my CV's to suffer more? I think my CV's and my plane crew have been shot down enough. T.T

Edited by yamatotamura, 07 March 2017 - 02:50 AM.

Yes I know I suck but its either talent or repetitiveness.

The_first_harbinger #7 Posted 07 March 2017 - 02:55 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View Postyamatotamura, on 06 March 2017 - 06:46 PM, said:

So you want my CV's to suffer more? I think my CV's and my plane crew have been shot down enough. T.T

I'm so so sorrie!!! I-I just hate planes!
Battleship Cult Cardinal

alexf24 #8 Posted 07 March 2017 - 02:56 AM

Captain

• Members

French T8 cruiser is "Charles Martel". Future premium? Who knows.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/allons-y/

I shoot an arrow in the air, where it lands I do not care, I get my arrows wholesale -- Curly Howard (with a wink to Longfellow)

yamatotamura #9 Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:01 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

View PostThe_first_harbinger, on 07 March 2017 - 11:55 AM, said:

I'm so so sorrie!!! I-I just hate planes!

But, But my planes..... MY PLANES T.T Get shot down by all the Defensive AA DD. T.T

Yes I know I suck but its either talent or repetitiveness.

timmmeh #10 Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:02 AM

Seaman

• Members

Yes please!

ValkyrWarframe #11 Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:13 AM

Commander

• Members

I want a ship that plays like Atlanta, +1

Edited by ValkyrWarframe, 07 March 2017 - 04:51 AM.

*In top 50 players on the server 

USN: Clemson, Benson, St. Louis, Cleveland, Atlanta* (Gift from an Anonymous User), New Orleans, New York, North Carolina, Strike Bogue, Strike Ranger, Lexington

IJN/Fleet of Fog: Hatsuharu, Kagero, Furutaka, ARP Ashigara/Haguro/Myoko/Nachi Mogami, ARP Takao, Mikasa, ARP Haruna/Hiei/Kirishima/KongouNagamon, Amagi, Ryujo

Soviet Union/Russia/Royal Navy: Kiev, Ognevoi, Svietlana*, Kirov*(My Guide), Chapayev, Dmitri Donskoi, Moskva* (My Guide)Black Swan (kek), Fiji, Edinburgh

Kriegsmarine/Marine NationaleT-22Konigsberg, Admiral Graf Spee, Yorck, Nassau, Gneisenau, Dunkerque (Gift from TenguBlade)

Phoenix_jz #12 Posted 07 March 2017 - 05:05 AM

Commander

• Beta Testers

I can't speak as to the ability of the 57mm guns, but as far as the DP main armament (127mm/54's) it should throw up 125.6 dps @ 5.19 km.

My "Directory of Threads" <-- Various threads I've done you might find interesting, feel free to check it out!

​Most recent addition: USN Cruiser Split

renegadestatuz #13 Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:50 AM

Commander

• Members

This is a little weird but even though we are about to get the French Cruiser line, we are getting an Italian premium cruiser instead.

https://thearmoredpa...ing/#more-43885

dark.png

Lord_Magus #14 Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:01 AM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

View PostPhoenix_jz, on 07 March 2017 - 12:05 AM, said:

I can't speak as to the ability of the 57mm guns, but as far as the DP main armament (127mm/54's) it should throw up 125.6 dps @ 5.19 km.

The 57mm/60 Bofors has a rate of fire of 120 RPM and is fully radar-directed. The French version has a 2.96kg HE shell with a 0.34kg bursting charge and a muzzle velocity of 865m/s. By comparison, the British version of the 40mm Bofors has the same rate of fire, a 0.894kg HE shell, 0.068kg bursting charge and muzzle velocity of 853-881m/s depending on which propellant was used. There's some variance in shell weight and muzzle velocity for other versions of the 40mm Bofors, but it seems they all had the same size bursting charge.

Given that a 57mm/60 Bofors twin puts out the same number of shells with similar velocity to the 40mm STAAG mounts on Neptune, but each shell has 5 times as much explosive content and both are radar-directed mounts...it wouldn't be unrealistic for each 57mm/60 twin to as much as 127 DPS. But since 1270 DPS (plus the 125.6 DPS from the 127mm/54s) would make this ship hilariously OP against carriers, this is where balance trumps realism. Somewhere around 42 DPS per mount with a range of around 4.5km should still make the 57mm/60 Bofors twin the individually most powerful AA mount in WOWS (as it should be) but without turning De Grasse's AA into a Des Moines with always-on DFAA.

Also tagged with Atlanta, French, cruiser

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users