I'm 160 games into ranked and...

rank ranked matches

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Matt_II #1 Posted 06 March 2017 - 04:11 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

..I'm at rank 4.2. I played the last season but I was so new to the game that I didn't make it very far. Judging by the amount of games I've played and my current rank, do you think that I will be able to rank out this season? 

Edited by Matt_II, 06 March 2017 - 04:12 AM.

My ships: Minotaur, Gearing, Grosser Kurfurst, Missouri, Tashkent, Taiho, Bismark, Mikhail Kutuzov, Z-23, Ognevoi, Gneiseneau, S. Dragon, Shchors, Atlanta, Ranger, Blyskawica, Minsk, Colorado, Myoko, Molotov, Shinonome, Cleveland, Graf Spee, Arizona, Okhotnik,  Ishizuchi, Katori, ARP ships

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - Gen. James “Mad Dog" Mattis

Lord_Zath #2 Posted 06 March 2017 - 04:22 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• WoWS Wiki Editor
  • Beta Testers
    Supertester

yes but you need to play a lot more.  What's your win rate?  If it's 50-55%, then expect another 250 games to rank out...

RedSeaBear #3 Posted 06 March 2017 - 04:42 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

I'm at 200+ games with a WR over 50%. We soldier on until the end or succumb to toxic madness that prowls the shadowed depths of these Rank Seas. Last season I played nearly 350 games and managed to rank out with one day to spare.

Rank will test you skill, your luck and you mental fortitude.

~Admiral of the Sinksalot Fleet~

ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

TeamFire Lighting the way to Victory

Admiral_Thrawn_1 #4 Posted 06 March 2017 - 05:28 AM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

So you have to play hundreds of battles just to get rank 1 and have access to the Jolly Roger flag!? At 20 minutes a battle.. ugh no wonder I have heard reports of people hacking to get ahead. :ohmy:

Especially if you only have 2 weeks before everything resets.

Still curious to give ranked a try when I reach tier 7 though.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1, 06 March 2017 - 05:55 AM.

SRM__ShaRoMoto #5 Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:12 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Took me a total of 297 games at 51.55% WR to rank out. Good luck!

Lord_Zath #6 Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:49 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• WoWS Wiki Editor
  • Beta Testers
    Supertester

So far 8 people have ranked out with below a 48% win rate, and most of those are between 300-500 games.  Buckle up!

desmo_2 #7 Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:28 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

I would love to hit Rank 1 at least once.  The enticement of the Flint and Black are alluring to do even more.

But...nope.  The see-sawing is just too frustrating.  Team mates who run off to do their own thing and hurt their team...team mates who are AFK or just never load in...things that can't be controlled or recovered from.  I just don't have the desire to commit THAT much time and that many games into hitting Rank 1.  Some people say they enjoy it, but I have heard far too many say they reached Rank 1 despite the anguish and frustration...they stuck with it and endured the pain to have success.

I play for fun, and that doesn't sound fun.

Deviathan #8 Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:56 PM

• Members

View Postdesmo_2, on 06 March 2017 - 09:28 AM, said:

I would love to hit Rank 1 at least once.  The enticement of the Flint and Black are alluring to do even more.

But...nope.  The see-sawing is just too frustrating.  Team mates who run off to do their own thing and hurt their team...team mates who are AFK or just never load in...things that can't be controlled or recovered from.  I just don't have the desire to commit THAT much time and that many games into hitting Rank 1.  Some people say they enjoy it, but I have heard far too many say they reached Rank 1 despite the anguish and frustration...they stuck with it and endured the pain to have success.

I play for fun, and that doesn't sound fun.

This is kinda where I'm at with it.  I obviously need more work on my personal game even though I have blue and purple stats for Randoms (the success just didn't seem to be translating), and Ranked was really feeling like a chore and killing how fun I find the game.  I'd like a Flint and Black, but not enough to burn myself out for, and I'm just not good enough yet to consistently carry.  I stuck a fork in this season, maybe I'll give it another shot next season.

Edited by Deviathan, 06 March 2017 - 03:00 PM.

steelrain97 #9 Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:17 PM

Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

View PostMatt_II, on 06 March 2017 - 04:11 AM, said:

..I'm at rank 4.2. I played the last season but I was so new to the game that I didn't make it very far. Judging by the amount of games I've played and my current rank, do you think that I will be able to rank out this season? 

I've got over 600 games this season, and just hit 2 last night. Started out pretty potato, but have carried a 70% win rate over the last 40 games...(after much failed ship experimentation, me and the Gneiseneau seemed to have found a groove). I fully expect to rank out next weekend. You are obviously much better than me so I don't see how you would have a problem hitting rank 1.

sbcptnitro #10 Posted 06 March 2017 - 04:52 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

View PostLord_Zath, on 06 March 2017 - 06:49 AM, said:

So far 8 people have ranked out with below a 48% win rate, and most of those are between 300-500 games.  Buckle up!

I see one with 810 games to rank out :amazed:

steelrain97 #11 Posted 06 March 2017 - 05:11 PM

Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

View PostDeviathan, on 06 March 2017 - 02:56 PM, said:

This is kinda where I'm at with it.  I obviously need more work on my personal game even though I have blue and purple stats for Randoms (the success just didn't seem to be translating), and Ranked was really feeling like a chore and killing how fun I find the game.  I'd like a Flint and Black, but not enough to burn myself out for, and I'm just not good enough yet to consistently carry.  I stuck a fork in this season, maybe I'll give it another shot next season.

The thing is, ranked is not the same as standard battles, it's a different meta altogether, the maps are the same as randoms but with different cap zones. If you are playing randoms at that level, then you already know how to play your ships, you just need to adjust to the meta. As a long time Tanks player, we have a saying. Even the best player will only impact about 40% percent of their battles. This is likely a little higher in ships, especially the small ranked teams but still applicable. Your team will win 30% or so of the time regardless of your contribution to the game. Your team will lose 30% or so of your battles regardless of your contribution. The middle 40% are the games in which your contribution to the team matters. Like it or not, even the best players have off games. It happens, but it's how well you do in those 40% that define how good you are as a player. So take the good games with a grain of salt, and ask yourself, did my contribution actually matter in that game or were we going to win that anyways. Likewise with the bad games, ask yourself if the game was a lost cause or if you helped make it a lost cause. And then, and most importantly, identify games that your contribution matter and evaluate how well you did in those games. Be as honest as possible with yourself. But accepting that you have no control over the outcome of about half your games makes the see-saw a little more tolerable. It makes it a little easier to write off the rolfstomp losses, and focuses you on the games that actually matter.

Edit:I'm not saying that outcomes are pre-determined or anything. Sometimes you get an early advantage and it steamrolls, the other team happens to make all the right moves etc. 

Admiral_Thrawn_1 #12 Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:23 AM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

How many spots are there in Rank 1?

Macabe #13 Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:43 AM

Fleet Admiral

• Supertest Coordinator
  • Members
    Alpha Tester
    In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers
    Supertester

View PostAdmiral_Thrawn_1, on 06 March 2017 - 04:23 PM, said:

How many spots are there in Rank 1?

There are no limits to how many people can rank out.

Fleet of Fog Commander

Supremacy League Admin and Head Referee

Self-Proclaimed Forum Mascot

aethervox #14 Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:06 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Alpha Tester

I couldn't care less about some dumba$$ kiddie pirate flag (like who does WG think plays this game? just 5 yr olds?).

I likely will never get to Rank 1 ever because I'm not going to waste so much extra time as I waste already in Random Battles.

shooter58_2016 #15 Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:36 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

I just started playing in ranked battles last week played 23 and am at rank 18, guess I have a long way to go lol

USSWest_Virginia #16 Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:40 PM

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

I got started late, but I've been playing one rank a day. I'm at rank 6 with 63 battles and something like 59% win rate.

Kuckoo #17 Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:09 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

At Rank 3 (currently at 4 stars - for the fourth [edited] time...) after 162 battles, starting from Rank 17.  Nearly a third of those 162 battles have been spent see-sawing back and forth between ranks 3 and 4.  So, yeah; once you get to Rank 5 there apparently seems to be an exponential increase of vein-bursting moments the closer you get to Rank 1.

"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm, but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." - T.S. Eliot, The Cocktail Party

Matt_II #18 Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:20 PM

• Members

View PostLord_Zath, on 06 March 2017 - 06:49 AM, said:

I ranked out Saturday! took 243 games in total. I switched from my Atlanta to Blys and my win rate went from 60% to 80%.

My ships: Minotaur, Gearing, Grosser Kurfurst, Missouri, Tashkent, Taiho, Bismark, Mikhail Kutuzov, Z-23, Ognevoi, Gneiseneau, S. Dragon, Shchors, Atlanta, Ranger, Blyskawica, Minsk, Colorado, Myoko, Molotov, Shinonome, Cleveland, Graf Spee, Arizona, Okhotnik,  Ishizuchi, Katori, ARP ships

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - Gen. James “Mad Dog" Mattis

HMS_Lollipop #19 Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:38 PM

Seaman

• Members

Got to admit, after playing Ranked for the win or lose a star and struggling to claw to the next rank level. Playing Random, is kind of dull. 

Also tagged with rank, ranked, matches

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users