Benson vs. Bismark

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Captain_Rawhide #1 Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:23 PM

Seaman

• Members

I have been playing the Benson allot and I seem to encounter Bismarks frequently.    However, I seem to have terrible luck with them.  They seem to have incredible secondaries.  For some reason it seems I can't land a torpedo no matter how close I get.  I don't play this BB so I'm not exactly sure what I am up against that makes them so formidable.  Any suggestions on how to take them on?  Thanks.

ValkyrWarframe #2 Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:26 PM

Captain

• Members

Bismarck has hydro and 7 km secondaries because

Key: *In top 50 players on the server, Can't afford at the moment, 

USN: Clemson, Benson, St. Louis, Cleveland, Atlanta* (Guide Coming Soon!), New Orleans, New York, North Carolina, Iowa, Strike Bogue, Strike Ranger, Strike Lexington

IJN/Fleet of Fog/Dragon: Shinonome, Hatsuharu, Kagero, ARP Ashigara/Haguro/Myoko/Nachi, Southern Dragon, Mogami, ARP Takao, Mikasa, ARP Haruna/Hiei/Kirishima/KongouNagamon, Amagi, Hiryu

Soviet Union/Russia/Royal Navy: Kiev, Ognevoi, Svietlana*, Kirov*(My Guide), Chapayev, Dmitri Donskoi, Moskva* (My Guide)Black Swan (kek), Fiji, Edinburgh, Neptune

Kriegsmarine/Marine NationaleT-22Konigsberg, Admiral Graf Spee, Yorck, Nassau, Gneisenau, Bismarck, Friant, Émile Bertin (Guide Coming Soon!), La Galissonniére, Dunkerque (Gift from TenguBlade)

Unabletony #3 Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:30 PM

Rear Admiral

• Members

Don't ever get close to a Bismarck, cause 10.6km secondary range. Stay out.

Because Hyuuga is cute~

Azuki is my catpanion~

Take that, Nyagato-sempai~!

Destroyer_Teruzuki #4 Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:31 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers

Bismarck gets hydro, which means it will spot both you and your torpedoes relatively far away. Combined with nearly every Bismarck being a secondary build, even being within 10km means you're in the "anti-fun" zone as the AI blasts away at you.

m373x #5 Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:32 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

They have hydro and probably spot your torps  from far away using it. Hydro has 2 minutes active time with 2 minutes cooldown. Try launching only 1 salvo of torps and if the Bismarck starts evading early then hydro is probably active.  Wait up to 2 more mins for your second salvo.

Captain_Rawhide #6 Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:35 PM

Seaman

• Members

Perfect.  This fits in with what I have been experiencing.  So is there any counter to them other than to just avoid them.  Sound like a torpedo salvo is just a waste of time.  Rather spend the torpedo reload time on something I have a chance of hitting.

MrDeaf #7 Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:55 PM

Admiral

• Members

Yeah, it's easy

For torps, circle around to their broadside and fire from 6km ish, or your minimum concealment.

This may or may not end up in a devastating strike, as Benson torps aren't exactly all that good. They are merely numerous.

For guns, use your invisifire ability and blast away from 10km, setting it on fire. This can take a while.

Since Bismarck is way slower than Benson, you should have zero issues kiting Bismarck, unless you aren't paying attention and drive yourself into a corner or island.

Now with more Youtube.

Subscribe to this thread for latest videos: http://forum.worldof...youtube-videos/

The Corgiolis Effect: When you notice you need more torpedoes on your ship

X15 #8 Posted 05 March 2017 - 07:06 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

Don't hide in smoke, stay mobile and torp spam, don't get in a gun fight.

ForgMaxtor #9 Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:37 PM

Ensign

• Members

Vs.  German ships with really good hydro, or any situation where your torps are likely to be spotted early (e.g., spotter plane overhead), try firing one set of torps, waiting 5-10 seconds, and then firing the second set either in front of or behind the indicator based upon which direction you think the BB is likely to turn to avoid the first set.

The 5-10 second interval is important because you want the BB player to spot only the first set of torps and think this is all he needs to dodge.  This way, if you predict his reaction correctly it will be very hard for him to dodge the second set because his rudder will already be hard over in the "wrong" direction.

You're reducing the chance of getting a multi-hit alpha strike by doing this, but you're increasing your chances of getting at least one hit.  Often worth it, IMHO.

Aduial #10 Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:35 AM

Rear Admiral

• Members

View PostCaptain_Rawhide, on 05 March 2017 - 09:23 AM, said:

I have been playing the Benson allot and I seem to encounter Bismarks frequently.    However, I seem to have terrible luck with them.  They seem to have incredible secondaries.  For some reason it seems I can't land a torpedo no matter how close I get.  I don't play this BB so I'm not exactly sure what I am up against that makes them so formidable.  Any suggestions on how to take them on?  Thanks.

It really depends if they have their hydro up or not. If they have hydro running, I wouldn't even bother firing my torpedoes at a Bismarck. In that case, you could shoot from outside the secondary range to set him on fire. 

If he does not have hydro, just torpedo him like any other battleship. 

My terrible stats:

My Favorite ships: Mogami,  Clemson, T8 Fubuki, Mikasa, Gneisenau, Fletcher

Aduial's commander build recommendations (post 0.6.0)               Remove Detonations from Ranked battles                 Rebalancing Aircraft Loadouts          Repair Party for Tier 8 Cruisers?           Strafing:           Suggestion about carrier MM          

Thornir #11 Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:50 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

They can't run hydro all the time. Stay dark, get close, let fly. Turn your AA off and stay off the guns til you're back out to 10 km or so. 
dark.png

US Navy Commander, Retired

Aviator, Squadron Commander, Frigate OOD, Carrier Command Duty Officer (Underway).

27 years active duty, including Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom.

Member, Team Special Forces [SF], Supremacy League (Bronze team - [SF-6])

Wyatt_DERP85 #12 Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:10 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Those secondaries can do some work on you, stay away and undetected when possible. If they dodge your torpedoes at range, you are still alive if you keep the distance.

HazeGrayUnderway #13 Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:39 AM

Rear Admiral

• Members

Bismarck has Hydro, but on top of that, if they sport Vigilance and/or TASM1 upgrade, they'll detect torpedoes further out also.  Bismarck and Tirpitz with enough warning will easily torpedobeat salvos.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users