The Roon is a massive upgrade from Hipper

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

KaptainKaybe #21 Posted 24 March 2017 - 04:48 AM

Lieutenant

• Members

I'm using the increased propulsion mod and the -40% rudder mod instead of concealment, while still using CE on my captain. I find it the perfect combo as I have decent concealment while still being very agile. Works well for me.

reefhawg #22 Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:03 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

I found the Hipper to be a bit of a roller coaster with me at the controls,.. good game, 2 bad bad ones,.. an ok game, bad, etc.  But then again I only just started back into the cruiser line again starting at Yorck after long break.  

After a 64 game grind (Is 64 games considered a grind?) I went to the Roon,.. used free XP for all the upgrades, maxed it out and oooh baby.  I found a new love!

I got in 11 games yesterday with her. 1st match - 100k damage win, hmm ok this feels nice let's try again.  80K.  not bad.  Next several games 60 - 70 k and to cap off evening 150k. 

The guns are a real treat and the AP salvos,.. oh the AP.  I had a FDG beached full broadside at 10k where the numbers 4k, 3500 k,.. 6k were just popping up non stop.  I hit him for 40k + before he could get his turrets pointed my way at which time I angled away, took a few k damage while letting the rear turrets score a few more sweet AP salvos.  

HE was no slouch and with DE I set my fair share of fires as well.  Expert loader ensured DDs got their share of quick change HE.

Last memorable moment, I had half health with a heal left.  Had a N. Carolina about 16k away at close to full health.  I go straight at him so ya I missed the extra turret up front but I'd set him on fire quite a bit by the time I got to torp range and I'd only lost 1/4 hp.  My first torps land 2 and he was under half hp now.  I turn into him hard to get the other torps away,.. we get really close I pull trigger and I totally miss a close torp shot all the while getting some heavy AP shots broadside.  He was 1/4 hp now,.. me about 10%.  I'm in a no win so I ram him for the kill.  End game with 92k damage and the team won.  That guy in the NC was sour after that and he let me know it,..  :)  said something about playing a real game only a bit more colorful.

so ya I'm thinking the Roon was indeed a nice (and perhaps massive) upgrade from Admiral Hipper.

Apokita #23 Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:46 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

It's weird that I actually loved Hipper, even played ranked on her, but Roon is really giving me trouble. I get so focused, I can't even do anything before I get shot by 5 BB from 20km, it's really surprising

Reppuu? No, shiranai ko desu ne.

Mahrs #24 Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:56 PM

Ensign

• Members

I think I actually enjoyed Hipper more than Roon...then again, they were both tough at times.  I sailed Hipper like a maniac and Roon doesn't tolerate that nonsense.  I will say this...8 games into Hindenburg, she is a BIG step up from Roon in my eyes.

Essayons et Faissons!

All the Way!

Apokita #25 Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:58 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

View PostMahrs, on 13 April 2017 - 02:56 PM, said:

I think I actually enjoyed Hipper more than Roon...then again, they were both tough at times.  I sailed Hipper like a maniac and Roon doesn't tolerate that nonsense.  I will say this...8 games into Hindenburg, she is a BIG step up from Roon in my eyes.

ikr. I remember once doing an 1v4 and winning it. lol. but roon gets cit'd by khavarobsks and its really hard to play. It's really frustrating, sometimes I just bow and use only 1 gun from behind an island or something for like 10 min, the only way to do not get focused down

Reppuu? No, shiranai ko desu ne.

P2gee #26 Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:55 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

View PostKaptainKaybe, on 23 March 2017 - 10:48 PM, said:

I'm using the increased propulsion mod and the -40% rudder mod instead of concealment, while still using CE on my captain. I find it the perfect combo as I have decent concealment while still being very agile. Works well for me.

I think this is what i need to do.....i have propulsion just not rudder shift.  Roon is difficult for me right now.  I used up all my credits getting and setting up the stock ship, so i have been grinding with her to build credits back and polish her a little bit.  Problem is, even after a decent victory it goes negative on the credits. Unless I go out and decimate half the field, not very likely in stock form, i generally take a loss in credits.  Pretty much been running my other ships which will credit with even a mediocre victory, to build up to get the Roon where it needs to be.

KaptainKaybe #27 Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:13 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

I have Hindy now and is sooo much better than Roon  for me. Roon's rate of fire upgrade over the Hipper is fantastic, but her lower torpedo count and single front firing turret means she's relegated to sniping as she can't brawl well at all. Hindy, on the other hand... what a difference!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users