Warships Podcast Episode Summary & Discussion Thread ~ Episode 27: RIP Poshybird and NoZoupForYo...

Warships Podcast PoShYbRiD NoZoupForYou

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Vanessaira #1 Posted 24 February 2017 - 07:10 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

Episode 27:

NoZoup's Youtube

Hi everyone! For this weeks episode of the podcast we have No Zoup on to discuss his recent visit to Wargaming as well as the current Ranked Season. We start off with a moment of silence for PoShYbRiD, a gaming member who tragically died during a 24 hours charity stream recently. Zoup remembers him and gives sound advice on the passions we all love.

Kelorn and Zoup get started with show topics discussing their shared experiences on meeting Wargaming employees and their offices. Zoup segways into the recent videos he did with them as well as some new stuff coming out. Zoup mentions some behind the scenes operations and the scale and pace at which issues are resolved, numbers gathered, and information being processed is something the community just does not see. Zoup and Kelorn talk about trying to be good community representatives that truly bring the player bases opinions and actions to the forefront for Wargaming to see. Zoup mentions just how much Wargaming watches and they do look and see what the community is saying.

We break into this seasons Ranked discussion talking about what ships we feel are doing well and what our overall impressions are about current Ranked Meta. Zoup discusses the Belfast at length and Kelorn talks about his game play in the Gneisenau and how he uses it to get the most success for Battleship play. We talk about the Scharnhorst, and while Zoup loves it though some times he feels dirty having to play the ship a certain way, but it fits his overall play style. I find that the Sims suits my support style of game play and have moved away form battleships.

We continue the Ranked discussion talking about the usability of many ships and going over the break down between most popular and best performing ships of the NA and EU servers. We talk about the differences for ships with regard to popularity and performance, and how ships like the Sims is used to great success on the NA server but rarely used on the EU. EU's use of Scharnhorst and Gneisenau compared to NA and the Belfast seeing parity on both. We go over Tech Tree (Free) ships verse the Premium (Paid) ships and how we feel the Meta is balancing out. Zoup, Kelorn, and I talk about the difficulty of Ranked and Zoup would like to see separate leagues, ie like Bronze, Silver, and Gold league for players who do not always have the time dedicated to finish a Ranked Season.

Kelorn and Zoup talk about the Community Contributor Event and how much fun it was as well as hinting at future events hopefully coming soon. We finish out the show with questions from listeners and backers. Special thank you to: Gamer_No_M8s, Donald Hallama, Dayaks, and Andy Rucker.  

Edited by Vanessaira, 24 February 2017 - 07:10 AM.

Team OPGaming & The Warships Podcast

Shield380 #2 Posted 24 February 2017 - 11:09 AM

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

I don't know how this works exactly, but could I voice a question for a potential podcast?

"Ever since you started this podcast, has your knowledge of the game, its mechanics, and its players increased and how so?

Love the content, always very fun to listen to!

Doors_The_Dwarf #3 Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:02 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

You guys talked about team battles a while ago. What do you feel about the idea of team battles returning as an alternate option for ranked battles. Where you can rank up with with a set team and get similar rewards as ranked and maybe even an alternate way of getting the jolly rogers for those coveted reward ships. Love the podcast, listen to it all the time on my nightly runs.

Edited by Doors_The_Dwarf, 24 February 2017 - 12:03 PM.

DIVE MEN! But sir we can dodge the incoming torpedoes easily and....SEAMAN RECRUIT I SAID DIVE! But...DIIIIIVE!!!!

Kelorn #4 Posted 24 February 2017 - 03:39 PM

Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

View PostShield380, on 24 February 2017 - 05:09 AM, said:

I don't know how this works exactly, but could I voice a question for a potential podcast?

"Ever since you started this podcast, has your knowledge of the game, its mechanics, and its players increased and how so?

Love the content, always very fun to listen to!

Sometimes it seems we learn something new with every guest, which is why it's great to have so many amazing personalities on the show. The more that we do this, the bigger appreciation i have for the people who make and play Warships!

Co-Founder and Co-Host of the Warships Podcast

Reach out on Twitter and Facebook

Kelorn #5 Posted 24 February 2017 - 03:41 PM

Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

View PostDoors_The_Dwarf, on 24 February 2017 - 06:02 AM, said:

You guys talked about team battles a while ago. What do you feel about the idea of team battles returning as an alternate option for ranked battles. Where you can rank up with with a set team and get similar rewards as ranked and maybe even an alternate way of getting the jolly rogers for those coveted reward ships. Love the podcast, listen to it all the time on my nightly runs.

That was something that Q and Trevzor talked about in our first interview with them, but it seems like priorities have shifted at Wargaming since then. They appear to be shelving Team Battles in favor of clan battles, so we're excited to see where that goes!

Co-Founder and Co-Host of the Warships Podcast

Reach out on Twitter and Facebook

RedSeaBear #6 Posted 25 February 2017 - 05:40 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

Player population of Ranked is big problem with many causes. The reward to effort ratio is a bit off, especially this season and if players don't feel like their effort is being reward they will drop out of the cue. Player toxicity is another, some of the worst salt I've ever seen in WoWs happens in ranked. Some of it is just naturally salty players and the other is players who grow toxic from the frustration of Ranked.

I think Frustration with Ranked is a Big problem. Think of all the effort to reach a rank only for MM and a bunch of potatoes lead you back down the ranks. Also Ranked isn't the same game from league to league, for instance the play style from R10 to R6 is very different from the R5 to R2. 

Finally there is the grind, why oh why did this game mode have to be so grindy. So many players have told me they just don't have time or the willingness to grind out rank. 

Ranked battles isn't fun, Ranked is a test of a players resilience to toxic salt and mind numbing grind. 

Maybe at some point WG will figure out how to structure Rank to attract players but also remove those issues that drives people away. But I'm not holding my breath.  

~Admiral of the Sinksalot Fleet~

ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Doors_The_Dwarf #7 Posted 26 February 2017 - 07:47 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostKelorn, on 24 February 2017 - 07:41 AM, said:

That was something that Q and Trevzor talked about in our first interview with them, but it seems like priorities have shifted at Wargaming since then. They appear to be shelving Team Battles in favor of clan battles, so we're excited to see where that goes!

Oh ok, I mean that makes sense. Clan battles seem a bit more important.

Edited by Doors_The_Dwarf, 26 February 2017 - 07:48 AM.

DIVE MEN! But sir we can dodge the incoming torpedoes easily and....SEAMAN RECRUIT I SAID DIVE! But...DIIIIIVE!!!!

Vanessaira #8 Posted 26 February 2017 - 12:42 PM

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

I know I would be ok we a rank restructure, where maybe they give less rewards and dubloons but make it less grind.  Like have a irrevocable at like 7 or 6 and make the games per rank less, with rank 2 needed 5 stars, and rank 3 needing 4, and just have the others 2 and 3 stars a rank.

I feel if players felt like they could power through it more. Ranked might be more enjoyable.

Team OPGaming & The Warships Podcast

Doors_The_Dwarf #9 Posted 27 February 2017 - 05:10 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostVanessaira, on 26 February 2017 - 04:42 AM, said:

I know I would be ok we a rank restructure, where maybe they give less rewards and dubloons but make it less grind.  Like have a irrevocable at like 7 or 6 and make the games per rank less, with rank 2 needed 5 stars, and rank 3 needing 4, and just have the others 2 and 3 stars a rank.

I feel if players felt like they could power through it more. Ranked might be more enjoyable.

I have been thinking the same thing for some time now. Like, I don't know, maybe every 5 ranks is a benchmark to not dip bellow but you only get rewards on those benchmarks instead of at every rank. I for one would play ranked longer, trying to get higher, instead of getting to 15 to get the flag and stopping.

Sventex #10 Posted 27 February 2017 - 05:52 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

I wonder if ranked would be more interesting if it involved 1 vs 1 deathmatch?  Less randomness to deal with.  Currently it feels like playing blackjack with house odd in your favor, but with every round taking 20 minutes.  There's just way too much time investment involved unless you happen to have a tier 7 ship your grinding anyway, and get blessed with a lucky streak.

Edited by Sventex, 27 February 2017 - 05:59 AM.

"The world is not beautiful; and that, in a way, lends it a sort of beauty."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users