When to stop playing Ranked

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

bullittmcqueen #21 Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:20 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Keep playing until you stop getting better. I can usually pinpoint something I did wrong in each loss, and its a learning point on how to improve. Season 5 was my first ranked season and I improved a ton just by participating.

even524 #22 Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:43 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

View PostPulicat, on 21 February 2017 - 03:14 AM, said:

If you think you are learning from the higher skill level engagements, I would say keep going. Never pass up opportunities to grow as a player if that's what you want to do. As the season progresses, more higher level players will rank out and not be in the season, lowering the overall skill of ranked and you may find it easier to affect your matches then.

If you are just trying to brute force it for reward sake, I'd say no.

+1.

Most players would be able to make some progress initially and receive some rewards/gifts. That's the "rewarding" phase of the rank battles.

Then the player would hit bottle neck and the rank would go back-and-forth. Then the player would get frustrated due to lack of progress. However if we take it from the other prospective, this is the perfect training ground:

1. expedited time duration meaning more training in shorter timeframe

2. good credit return

3. you are playing with _relatively_ better players than in a random battle - yes they curse more but you have the option to turn off the chat from those [edited]

4. All same tier so you can focus on your skill not the high/low tier ship specification gap

5. All same tier so you can get familiar with all T-7 ships and learn the pros/cons of the ships

What's not to like? Just be aware that the rank battle progression isn't linear and be ready to switch the mindset from "collecting reward" to "getting trained".

Yamato, Montana, Des Moines, Zao, Gearing, Shimakaze, Khabarovsk, Fletcher, Bismarck, Kutuzov, Tirpitz, Atago, Benson, Lo Yang,

Blyskawika, Sims, Atlanta, Arizona, Anshan, Gremyashchy, Murmansk, Fujin, Imperator Nikolai I, Arkansas Beta, Konig Albert

even524 signature

steeve2u364_1 #23 Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:17 AM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

ranked is suck every time i lose a batlle i am in rank 9 in lose 30 battle now i am 12 ranked is a bad party of the gaime for me 

Pete_Darling #24 Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:42 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View Poststeeve2u364_1, on 22 February 2017 - 12:17 AM, said:

ranked is suck every time i lose a batlle i am in rank 9 in lose 30 battle now i am 12 ranked is a bad party of the gaime for me 

Going back to even524 said you learn anything? And one of my points, did you finish well on your team? If you did either it was worth it. I have lost games and finished first. Was I the reason why we lost? Well I did better than the rest of my team but could I have done something different to change the outcome? I don't feel Ranked teaches you more about play than Random (same questions apply) but you do have the opportunity to play against people that are better than you than you would in Random just because of the limited Tier (so maybe in some ways it can teach you). 

Edited by Pete_Darling, 22 February 2017 - 12:42 AM.

Beornotns #25 Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:50 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

I figure I am 2 or 3 games from rank 12.  That is as far as I think my skill level will get me; I do NOT see myself getting any lower unless I get very lucky AND my teammates all develop bulging discs in their backs from carrying my sorry @$$.

Just sayin'

~B

I am a TERRIBLE WoWS player.  But I am trying to get better. - Beorn

Showing my stats just depressed me, so I stopped...

Well, let me try again...

Pete_Darling #26 Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:12 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostBeornotns, on 22 February 2017 - 12:50 AM, said:

I figure I am 2 or 3 games from rank 12.  That is as far as I think my skill level will get me; I do NOT see myself getting any lower unless I get very lucky AND my teammates all develop bulging discs in their backs from carrying my sorry @$$.

Just sayin'

~B

So someone has to lose.... Can you keep a 45% win rate? If so keep on it. I stopped at 13 last season but I could have pulled higher. Did I learn something? Sure, I learn something every game. I started this post to make people think of why they play Ranked. Are my scores GREAT, nope but that is my play style, cap, spot then kill. Am I a team player ABSOLUTELY and that is why I have a win rate that is good, I don't expect to make Rank 1 but I will go as far as I can before I feel useless. Everyone looks at Damage and Kill Ratio but there is way more to this game than that. I have games with a 2.4M potential damage that I did crap in otherwise that doesn't show up in Stats. Every shot they fired at me that didn't kill me was a shot that hit nothing so yea that helps oh and now they are spotted. Stat shaming is bad, stat shaming yourself is worse. You have to look at did you contribute and could you do anything different to contribute more? 

MrDeaf #27 Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:17 AM

Vice Admiral

• Members

btw, if you don't learn it from ranked, you will surely see it in random, which is where all the ranked players bring their newly learned skills and tricks.

What is the Torpedo Reload Booster and does it have a historical basis? http://forum.worldof...could-poses-it/

Landing_Skipper #28 Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:12 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

View PostMrDeaf, on 22 February 2017 - 05:17 AM, said:

btw, if you don't learn it from ranked, you will surely see it in random, which is where all the ranked players bring their newly learned skills and tricks.

+1 on the learning experience, in several ways. 

If you learn one thing from Ranked it should be PLFO (play the objectives).  Last season also taught me how to blind torp into smoke. I got darned good at it. 

Then there's the benefit of playing one ship over and over until you know it's strengths, weaknesses, handling, guns, everything. My friend who introduced me to WoWs never plays the same ship more than 2 or 3 times in a row, and he jumps from DD to CL to BB while bouncing around Tiers. He has fun but you won't get good that way. But with over 100 battles in Shiratsuyu I'm really learning how to play that ship. 

ANSWER TO OP:  when grinding the Izumo toward Yamato feels better than playing Ranked anymore. 

"Plan to be wrong about something." PRR (he knows who he is)

Pete_Darling #29 Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:54 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostLanding_Skipper, on 22 February 2017 - 07:12 PM, said:

+1 on the learning experience, in several ways. 

If you learn one thing from Ranked it should be PLFO (play the objectives).  Last season also taught me how to blind torp into smoke. I got darned good at it. 

Then there's the benefit of playing one ship over and over until you know it's strengths, weaknesses, handling, guns, everything. My friend who introduced me to WoWs never plays the same ship more than 2 or 3 times in a row, and he jumps from DD to CL to BB while bouncing around Tiers. He has fun but you won't get good that way. But with over 100 battles in Shiratsuyu I'm really learning how to play that ship. 

ANSWER TO OP:  when grinding the Izumo toward Yamato feels better than playing Ranked anymore. 

LOL You have to watch Jingles Izumo 200K video

I agree with you on playing one ship - I limited myself to IJN DD's only in Random battles and my numbers started to climb but I still play an occasional cruiser.

Pulled Unicum day rating in Ranked again last night and Rank is still climbing so still pushing it, who knows I might make Rank 1 :D

Posted the funnest game I've had in Ranked on WOWReplays - 4 kill, 3 DD's and a BB (finished 2nd on the team) - It was just crazy Blyskawica and I finished off 3 ships in about a minute and chased down their Sims for the win.  

Edited by Pete_Darling, 22 February 2017 - 08:38 PM.

Pete_Darling #30 Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:10 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

I'm only tossing this out there because I added my WTR rating to my signature and I wanted those who think they don't have good stats to realize that Ranked is a different critter. My Random stats suck, I play tier 2 to 10 and you name it but you will be surprised what you can do in Ranked, clean slate, one tier, jump in your best tier 7 and have fun. You can learn so much (sometime jerks get pissed at you in Random because they don't understand why you are doing what you are) it will make you a better overall team player and understand how to win. 

SweetRollThief #31 Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:19 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

View PostPete_Darling, on 21 February 2017 - 03:03 AM, said:

You know I don't consider myself a bad player but I question how far I should push Ranked Battles? I don't want to be the guy that just sucked and lost it for the team but sometimes I feel out matched. I'm not doing bad yet and just curious if you guys have found a point when you say "yep done for this season"? 

Absolutely. My first season was 4, I stopped around rank 10, as it was getting difficult to win consistently. Last season I stopped at rank 5, for the same reason. This season I ranked out without much trouble.

I am definitely an advocate for avoiding the "grind" of rank 1. I stopped each season when it was clear that I wasn't pulling my weight and i focused on getting better between seasons. I think if more players had this approach ranked would be a better experience for everyone.

Pete_Darling #32 Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:37 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostSweetRollThief, on 22 February 2017 - 11:19 PM, said:

Absolutely. My first season was 4, I stopped around rank 10, as it was getting difficult to win consistently. Last season I stopped at rank 5, for the same reason. This season I ranked out without much trouble.

I am definitely an advocate for avoiding the "grind" of rank 1. I stopped each season when it was clear that I wasn't pulling my weight and i focused on getting better between seasons. I think if more players had this approach ranked would be a better experience for everyone.

Like others have said I do like Ranked for the more 1 one 1 battle (unless you are me, I'm stuck with 4 on 1) and the team play for training and I suggest everyone try it. I've played season 2 to 6 and most the time I stop because WG has some other thing going on like ARP ships (not sure why I stopped for them I never play them). This season is PT testing which I normally do but I don't care about music, can't play the new VMF DD's so I get to see two new maps? Ranked it is!

Wingslinger #33 Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:14 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostAlemaumBeer, on 20 February 2017 - 09:50 PM, said:

the problem of the rankeds is 

forever win and loss loopings and you never advance.

Well, you get to a point where you more or less plateau and stagnate.  I'm yo-yo-ing between 12 and 10.  A lot like the Peter Principle; I seem to have risen to my level of incompetence, and stayed there.  As soon as I make 10, MM throws me up against 5's, so I immediately drop back to 11.  Bummer.  But 24 days to keep trying!  Still wondering what the big draw is supposed to be with the Rank 9 thru 2 'special upgrades.'  They look like what I already have.  What am I missing?  Anybody?

Pete_Darling #34 Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:23 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostWingslinger, on 28 February 2017 - 03:14 PM, said:

Well, you get to a point where you more or less plateau and stagnate.  I'm yo-yo-ing between 12 and 10.  A lot like the Peter Principle; I seem to have risen to my level of incompetence, and stayed there.  As soon as I make 10, MM throws me up against 5's, so I immediately drop back to 11.  Bummer.  But 24 days to keep trying!  Still wondering what the big draw is supposed to be with the Rank 9 thru 2 'special upgrades.'  They look like what I already have.  What am I missing?  Anybody?

This is what I have found with my own play, it may not apply to you, if I find myself struggling at a Rank it's usually a change in strategy. In Ranks 23 to 15 many times you run into less experienced players and/or wallet warriors that don't really understand the ship they are playing. So you have 2 things to look at is it your skill or your strategy causing the losses? Once you get above Rank 15 the Random play starts to fade away and people develop more of a Team Effort mentality so the strategy starts changing so you have to start adapting. If your losses are based on your overall skill then don't give up, the better players will Rank out and you will start getting closer to the Average experience of the Ranked Players then start progressing again. As to the Upgrade Modules, they are enhancements of your consumables and are won for achieving a Rank. Personally I don't use them as they take the spot of things I feel are more important.    

Spooooooooooooooooooooon #35 Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:57 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

I liked the engine boost time upgrade for my Shira I got at rank 9.  Haven't cared for the others.

Pete_Darling #36 Posted 03 March 2017 - 04:24 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Another "What the heck happened?" Game. 2 DD's with High Caliber and still a loss 

BB3_Oregon_Steel #37 Posted 04 March 2017 - 01:45 AM

Seaman

• Members

From my perspective, the most precious commodity in Ranked are players who are willing to work together, act as a team and support each other in the game.  You can be extremely skilled, have the absolute best ship available and if you don't have this quality, you are an active detriment to your team in in the ranked format. 

As long as you can bring that quality to the teams you are on, I think you have value. 

Pete_Darling #38 Posted 04 March 2017 - 04:22 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostBB3_Oregon_Steel, on 04 March 2017 - 01:45 AM, said:

From my perspective, the most precious commodity in Ranked are players who are willing to work together, act as a team and support each other in the game.  You can be extremely skilled, have the absolute best ship available and if you don't have this quality, you are an active detriment to your team in in the ranked format. 

As long as you can bring that quality to the teams you are on, I think you have value. 

You are so correct - in that game there was too many people doing their "own thing" while Mahan and I tried to hold what we had to win. It's just frustrating to see Random play in Ranked. 

TheBigM145 #39 Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:01 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

I'm going to use the old "as long as you're having fun". Personally, I've hit my wall and I'm having trouble progressing further and it's become more of a hassle than it's worth. If you're not at that point, keep pushing. I know I've learned a lot (ex. I should never drive a DD :) )

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Chairman Mao

Pete_Darling #40 Posted 05 March 2017 - 01:36 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostTheBigM145, on 04 March 2017 - 09:01 PM, said:

I'm going to use the old "as long as you're having fun". Personally, I've hit my wall and I'm having trouble progressing further and it's become more of a hassle than it's worth. If you're not at that point, keep pushing. I know I've learned a lot (ex. I should never drive a DD :) )

Use one ship, the best you play in and you will learn even more and usually progress. Many guys including myself practice in the ship they will use well before Ranked starts. I think I played 100+ games in my Akatsuki before Ranked started and I have Tier 10 DD's. I wanted Rank 1 this time around and I still feel like I may not make it but heck I'm not giving up yet. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users