When to stop playing Ranked

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Beornotns #41 Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:21 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostBeornotns, on 21 February 2017 - 04:50 PM, said:

I figure I am 2 or 3 games from rank 12.  That is as far as I think my skill level will get me; I do NOT see myself getting any lower unless I get very lucky AND my teammates all develop bulging discs in their backs from carrying my sorry @$$.

Just sayin'

~B

View PostPete_Darling, on 21 February 2017 - 05:12 PM, said:

So someone has to lose.... Can you keep a 45% win rate? If so keep on it. I stopped at 13 last season but I could have pulled higher. Did I learn something? Sure, I learn something every game. I started this post to make people think of why they play Ranked. Are my scores GREAT, nope but that is my play style, cap, spot then kill. Am I a team player ABSOLUTELY and that is why I have a win rate that is good, I don't expect to make Rank 1 but I will go as far as I can before I feel useless. Everyone looks at Damage and Kill Ratio but there is way more to this game than that. I have games with a 2.4M potential damage that I did crap in otherwise that doesn't show up in Stats. Every shot they fired at me that didn't kill me was a shot that hit nothing so yea that helps oh and now they are spotted. Stat shaming is bad, stat shaming yourself is worse. You have to look at did you contribute and could you do anything different to contribute more? 

That's actually a point of pride with me... I seem to do better in ranked than random battles.  I am actually at Rank 10!  I know right?

And, of the 2 Kraken's I've gotten (both with my Scharnhorst), 1 of them was in ranked!

I will make the best effort possible in ranked...

Thank you for your guidance!

~B

I am a TERRIBLE WoWS player.  But I am trying to get better. - Beorn

Showing my stats just depressed me, so I stopped...

Well, let me try again...

pR1mal_ #42 Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:42 PM

Seaman

• Members

The MM is what made me quit.   If I play one more ranked with 3 radar CA's on one team and none on the other I'll smash my monitor.   That's pretty much when I became forced to conclude that WG didn't really give enough of a #$%^ about balance to lift a finger.

Didn't much care for the multiple matches with 5 DD's on each team either.

Pete_Darling #43 Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:14 PM

• Members

View PostBeornotns, on 10 March 2017 - 09:21 PM, said:

That's actually a point of pride with me... I seem to do better in ranked than random battles.  I am actually at Rank 10!  I know right?

And, of the 2 Kraken's I've gotten (both with my Scharnhorst), 1 of them was in ranked!

I will make the best effort possible in ranked...

Thank you for your guidance!

~B

Glad to see you are progressing!

I haven't had a lot of time to play but I've almost made rank 5. The nice thing about playing as far as you can is being rewarded for your effort and start season 7 farther ahead. 

aethervox #44 Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:14 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Alpha Tester

When you start going backwards.

Then play some more the next day.

Slowly grind down the Ranks.

All these posts about skill & teamwork, ROFL, it's the same as in Randoms at tier 7.

Win, lose, lose, win. Rinse & repeat.

The Flag I earned is nice tho I doubt I will ever get the reward ship(s).

Pete_Darling #45 Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:09 AM

• Members

[edited]

Edited by Pete_Darling, 14 March 2017 - 04:02 PM.

drunkenduncan #46 Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:30 AM

Seaman

• Members

I made my rank 10, the goal.  Pulled my weight more or less in a Myoko, was not a liability anyways.   

RNG goes both ways.   I had in first season (4th) some really terrible teams, quite a string....  memorable.   I was not very good either but still these were just bad teams, even a spud like myself could tell.  Last season barely played.  This season however I had excellent RNG.  Good teams, played together, stuck to a plan more or less.  A pleasure.   My winrate was definitely higher than deserved, hey thats OK.  It all goes round, my 4th season WR was lower than deserved.  

Spooooooooooooooooooooon #47 Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:28 AM

• Beta Testers

I've kept it slow as I got lower in the ranks.  Last season I stopped at rank 12.  This season I'm at 7, playing 1 or 2 games a night.  Would like to get to 5 this season, but won't sweat it either way.  Rewards suck this season.

Edited by Spooooooooooooooooooooon, 15 March 2017 - 10:29 AM.

Pete_Darling #48 Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:40 PM

• Members

View PostSpooooooooooooooooooooon, on 15 March 2017 - 10:28 AM, said:

I've kept it slow as I got lower in the ranks.  Last season I stopped at rank 12.  This season I'm at 7, playing 1 or 2 games a night.  Would like to get to 5 this season, but won't sweat it either way.  Rewards suck this season.

Yea I'm the same way, 12 last season and only play a couple games a night. I was 1 star away from 5 then fell back to 7. I finally worked back to 6 and don't want to risk the race to 5 with only a few days left. I wanted to hit 1 but it took 139 games to almost hit 5 and I will bet I would have 150 to 175 more games to hit 1 so I think I'm done this season. And I'm not fond of the rewards from Rank 5 up anyway. I figured I'd just go play the new Russian DD (Yep suck in them) and goof off now.

Edited by Pete_Darling, 15 March 2017 - 07:09 PM.

MassiveSalvo #49 Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:48 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

Ranked is really great to learn certain ships but it's not regular random play. Map size and tier matchups. Plus the type of ships and situations will change. It's good to hone certain skills... I cannot get above rank 7 

Nittany_Lion #50 Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:27 PM

Warrant Officer

• Alpha Tester

View PostPete_Darling, on 21 February 2017 - 12:21 AM, said:

Do not agree with that. As much as I feel I struggle I stop when I can't go forward. I went from rank 18 to 12 with a 88% win rate in an afternoon on a weekend. I made it back to a 60% win rate and had a day rate of 75% and I was low ranked, still rank 10. My point is at what point do you stop playing ranked to not be a burden to our team? 

Offhand, and not trying to be mean, I'd say you are VERY lucky to have advanced as far as you have. 21,000 avg damage is pretty sad, as well as a 0.85 K/D ratio. You've basically failed your way to rank 6. Keep on playiing thought if you still enjoy it. It's only a game and a bunch of pixels on a monitor. Doesnt really mena anything.

I guess I'm just a little frustrated my self as I havent been able to get beyond 11. Last two nights I've been in about 6 matches Lost 5 and won 1. I only lost 1 star because I was high scorer almost every time.  I did two battles with over 135K damage and 3 kills each and still got wiped out. ( my average dmg is about 64K and a 1.6 K/D ratio) So yeah, I guess I get frustrated by having people like you ( not you specifically - so dont take it that way) that by playing match after match and dragging most of the teams you play on down. You are spoiling it for others who should be advancing.

We are.......

denismc66 #51 Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:06 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

View PostNittany_Lion, on 18 March 2017 - 04:27 PM, said:

Offhand, and not trying to be mean, I'd say you are VERY lucky to have advanced as far as you have. 21,000 avg damage is pretty sad, as well as a 0.85 K/D ratio. You've basically failed your way to rank 6. Keep on playiing thought if you still enjoy it. It's only a game and a bunch of pixels on a monitor. Doesnt really mena anything.

I guess I'm just a little frustrated my self as I havent been able to get beyond 11. Last two nights I've been in about 6 matches Lost 5 and won 1. I only lost 1 star because I was high scorer almost every time.  I did two battles with over 135K damage and 3 kills each and still got wiped out. ( my average dmg is about 64K and a 1.6 K/D ratio) So yeah, I guess I get frustrated by having people like you ( not you specifically - so dont take it that way) that by playing match after match and dragging most of the teams you play on down. You are spoiling it for others who should be advancing.

I think you are being unfair to the guy because, ITS NOT ALL ABOUT DAMAGE! Especially in a DD. You can do all the damage you want but if you don't play the objectives then you lose.

The job of DDs in ranked this season is to Cap, spot and smoke for your team, I find the DDs that do this well win a lot more games.

So I think it is you that have failed as you don't understand the meta.

HMCS_Devilfish #52 Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:10 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View PostPete_Darling, on 20 February 2017 - 07:03 PM, said:

You know I don't consider myself a bad player but I question how far I should push Ranked Battles? I don't want to be the guy that just sucked and lost it for the team but sometimes I feel out matched. I'm not doing bad yet and just curious if you guys have found a point when you say "yep done for this season"? 

Done at 10 when the rewards taper off

Taylor3006 #53 Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:34 AM

Ensign

• Members

View PostHMCS_Devilfish, on 18 March 2017 - 12:10 PM, said:

Done at 10 when the rewards taper off

My goal was 12 but slithered to 11 because I got greedy and wanted the doubloons for the free xp conversion discount. Was tired of the grind and the rewards beyond 11 just seemed "meh" so seemed a good place to stop. If the flag for hitting rank 10 was permanent, maybe it would have been worth it to play a few more games. The special ship upgrades available as prizes seemed a poor trade off to me using up useful signals/consumables to get them. 

Edited by Taylor3006, 20 March 2017 - 05:35 AM.

BB3_Oregon_Steel #54 Posted 30 March 2017 - 06:16 PM

• Members

View Postdenismc66, on 18 March 2017 - 06:06 PM, said:

I think you are being unfair to the guy because, ITS NOT ALL ABOUT DAMAGE! Especially in a DD. You can do all the damage you want but if you don't play the objectives then you lose.

The job of DDs in ranked this season is to Cap, spot and smoke for your team, I find the DDs that do this well win a lot more games.

I have to agree here and pretty strongly.  It's all about whether you can contribute to the team win, not about the damage you score or ships you sink. 

My best example was in one of my last battles of the season.  I was driving a Myoko and was facing a Colorado which was on the other side of an island from me.  It was important that I hold the Colorado's attention without getting myself exploderated so I ended up playing a cat and mouse game with it that essentially kept it where it was until some of my friendly dd's were able to work themselves in to a position where they could torp it to the bottom. 

I didn't cause a great deal of damage in that round but I did materially help my team win that battle.  So does that make me a noobie scrub or just a player more interested in helping her team win than farming damage and getting kills.  

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that having players that are interested in fighting as a team is the most important ingredient in success in ranked battles, period.  

MassiveSalvo #55 Posted 31 March 2017 - 06:36 AM

Petty Officer

• Members

Nittany_Lion, it's a bit harsh when the situations vary this wildly. One time a DD will turn away from a cap at the first sign of a confrontation and leave a Cruiser or BB to be torp'd. Another situation a DD will throw it's smoke up for the whole team and 4-5 guys will sit back at the starting line basically trying to snipe from 20.k or even worse yet you ask for some sort of cooperation and the amount of strategic input is "nadda," I went full potato a few times and got frustrated or tired a few times. Basically I Tried though I'm a newbie to perform for the team. If that meant quietly laying smoke out in my US DD all along a line and spot. That or send my fighters back and forth to sniff out torps. None of which gets Damage/Kill Ratio which I think puts me at 33.k Damage and 1.0 Kill Ratio in Ranked. Terrible win ^% though and an awful time trying to advance. 

I've seen literally an entire group of 4 DDs go poof in 1 cap!? Ranked is quite random but the guys winning 65% of the time are getting Jolly Roger by saving their own Skin when this all happens?

Taylor3006 #56 Posted 31 March 2017 - 06:46 AM

Ensign

• Members

View Postdenismc66, on 18 March 2017 - 12:06 PM, said:

Exactly. I played a DD this ranked season, did very little damage mostly. Spent time capping, smoking, spotting, and picking off the really wounded ships. I also used my torps more as area denial weapons and to chase ships away or make them turn into a friendlies guns. The only time I would get into the thick of the fighting is contesting a cap, we had an overwhelming advantage, or we were desperate for points. I would also shoot HE to start fires and run away like a coward.... Most of the time I was spotting though, keeping my teammates behind smoke and giving them stuff to shoot at.

Pete_Darling #57 Posted 02 April 2017 - 08:06 PM

• Members

Thanks everyone for standing up for me - the comment was coming from a guy that has a 25% win rate in Akatsuki and average damage of 19K in Random so I take it with a grain of salt (and I'm averaging 190% of my own HP while he is only hitting 130% in his Nagato so...). 

Now that the season is over I would like to congratulate everyone for achieving the Rank you did. The season for me wasn't ideal as I never played Akatsuki until Ranked was announced to be tier 7 (was at Yugumo when the split happened) but I knew Mahan and Kiev would not be good so I had to learn fast. I'm sure this was an interesting endeavor for everyone but I'm glad you all tried.

So again Congratulations Hope to See You Next Season!!     

Edited by Pete_Darling, 02 April 2017 - 09:33 PM.

BB3_Oregon_Steel #58 Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:08 AM

• Members

I'll be there, I hope.  

Thanks and congrats to you as well.  It was a joyful, frustrating, abysmal, wonderful event and I'm looking forward to the next one.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users