When to stop playing Ranked

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Pete_Darling #1 Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:03 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

You know I don't consider myself a bad player but I question how far I should push Ranked Battles? I don't want to be the guy that just sucked and lost it for the team but sometimes I feel out matched. I'm not doing bad yet and just curious if you guys have found a point when you say "yep done for this season"? 

Pulicat #2 Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:14 AM

Commander

• Members

If you think you are learning from the higher skill level engagements, I would say keep going. Never pass up opportunities to grow as a player if that's what you want to do. As the season progresses, more higher level players will rank out and not be in the season, lowering the overall skill of ranked and you may find it easier to affect your matches then.

If you are just trying to brute force it for reward sake, I'd say no.

Pete_Darling #3 Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:29 AM

• Members

View PostPulicat, on 21 February 2017 - 03:14 AM, said:

If you think you are learning from the higher skill level engagements, I would say keep going. Never pass up opportunities to grow as a player if that's what you want to do. As the season progresses, more higher level players will rank out and not be in the season, lowering the overall skill of ranked and you may find it easier to affect your matches then.

If you are just trying to brute force it for reward sake, I'd say no.

I know I'm not the best (don't look at my Random score they are so sued) but I don't want to hold my team back. I've rarely had under 50% win rate in Ranked and I can hang with the best, for a minute anyway but I see so many potato teams and I don't want to be that guy. 

Pulicat #4 Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:36 AM

Commander

• Members

View PostPete_Darling, on 20 February 2017 - 08:29 PM, said:

I know I'm not the best (don't look at my Random score they are so sued) but I don't want to hold my team back. I've rarely had under 50% win rate in Ranked and I can hang with the best, for a minute anyway but I see so many potato teams and I don't want to be that guy. 

Right, and that's a fair concern. But if you do not experience difficulty, you can't improve your play with that knowledge. You will encounter those that hate players who aren't good and keep playing, but that's not your problem.

Colonel_ace #5 Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:44 AM

• Beta Testers

The last tier 7 ranked took me 300 battles to finish, tier 8 season much less. This season is a mid pear shaped and it will take perseverance. That means don't worry about what people say. 

Landing_Skipper #6 Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:44 AM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

Basically if you are having fun, learning, and not hurting your team, keep on truckin'.  

When you say "not doing bad yet" what do you mean?  50% win rate or better?  48%?  Below 40%?  And at what Rank?

As long as you contribute to your team's potential success, keep on playing. Are you #4 or better on the team list most of the time?  Carry on!  If you are consistently 6 or 7 and never in too 2-3, please stop. 

I haven't achieved Rank 1 yet and this is my 3rd season.   Each time I've gone to a point where my win rate fell below 50% and I was getting really frustrated. See-sawing back and forth between Rank 6 and 7 finally did me in last season. 

Finally, I think Ranked gets worse as the season progresses. I've progressed pretty well this season and feel that the team play is pretty darn good more than half the time. Last season I tried the "wait until the Unicums go through" approach and it was painful. If you aren't past Rank 15 or maybe even 12 by the end of the first couple weeks. You have 3 groups of players. 

1 - been playing every day but my teams suck and MM hates me and they need to change the rules so I can finally advance past Rank 12...

2 - play occasionally and just having some fun, looking for loot. 

3 - started late or this is the first season of Ranked and struggling to find their way. 

2 & 3 aren't bad, but #1 is toxic. 

"Plan to be wrong about something." PRR (he knows who he is)

AVR_Project #7 Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:45 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

This is a very interesting game.  My participation is not required for there to be Ranked Battles.  I dabbled in a couple.

Lots of flags and prizes.  MM and RNG is wicked there.  I've learned not to take it seriously.  Just do your best and let the cards fall where the winds blow.

So much has been lost, so much forgotten. So much pain, so much blood. And for what? I wonder. The past tempts us, the present confuses us, and the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between. But there is still time to seize that one last, fragile moment. To choose something better, to make a difference.  -- Babylon 5

Pete_Darling #8 Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:19 AM

• Members

View PostLanding_Skipper, on 21 February 2017 - 03:44 AM, said:

Basically if you are having fun, learning, and not hurting your team, keep on truckin'.  

When you say "not doing bad yet" what do you mean?  50% win rate or better?  48%?  Below 40%?  And at what Rank?

As long as you contribute to your team's potential success, keep on playing. Are you #4 or better on the team list most of the time?  Carry on!  If you are consistently 6 or 7 and never in too 2-3, please stop. 

I haven't achieved Rank 1 yet and this is my 3rd season.   Each time I've gone to a point where my win rate fell below 50% and I was getting really frustrated. See-sawing back and forth between Rank 6 and 7 finally did me in last season. 

Finally, I think Ranked gets worse as the season progresses. I've progressed pretty well this season and feel that the team play is pretty darn good more than half the time. Last season I tried the "wait until the Unicums go through" approach and it was painful. If you aren't past Rank 15 or maybe even 12 by the end of the first couple weeks. You have 3 groups of players. 

1 - been playing every day but my teams suck and MM hates me and they need to change the rules so I can finally advance past Rank 12...

2 - play occasionally and just having some fun, looking for loot. 

3 - started late or this is the first season of Ranked and struggling to find their way. 

2 & 3 aren't bad, but #1 is toxic. 

I didn't want to say my Rank as I hoped others might have this question but to answer yours - half way to Rank 9 (Rank 10 with a couple stars), 59% win rate. Don't get me wrong I'm having fun but I don't want to burden other people that might play better. I only play 3 or 4 games a night. Last season I stopped at 13 because I lost 14 games straight and was 1st every battle and didn't want to go back to 14 but wasn't going forward either . This season I only play Akatsuki (which seems to be the ship everyone hates) because it's the only one I feel comfortable in and have turned 3 kill 80K games but..... 

Edited by Pete_Darling, 21 February 2017 - 04:20 AM.

AlemaumBeer #9 Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:50 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

the problem of the rankeds is 

forever win and loss loopings and you never advance.

ckupf #10 Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:01 AM

Lieutenant

• Members

If you are enjoying yourself or at least improving your play, and not detracting tremendously from everyone else's enjoyment then feel free to keep playing. The only players who annoy me in ranked are ones who (a) don't put in the effort (i.e. no camo, no det flags, treat it like randoms), (b) reject the basic tenets of how to win a ranked battle (players who yolo, ignore teammates, are afraid to involve themselves in the battle, or © are [edited].

If you're winrate is below 45% then that probably means you're detracting from allies fun, but you'd notice because if that were the case than you'd be bleeding stars.

Pete_Darling #11 Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:21 AM

• Members

View PostAlemaumBeer, on 21 February 2017 - 04:50 AM, said:

the problem of the rankeds is 

forever win and loss loopings and you never advance.

Do not agree with that. As much as I feel I struggle I stop when I can't go forward. I went from rank 18 to 12 with a 88% win rate in an afternoon on a weekend. I made it back to a 60% win rate and had a day rate of 75% and I was low ranked, still rank 10. My point is at what point do you stop playing ranked to not be a burden to our team? 

Landing_Skipper #12 Posted 21 February 2017 - 06:54 AM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

Never mind looked up stats 

Edited by Landing_Skipper, 21 February 2017 - 06:57 AM.

centarina #13 Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:01 AM

Rear Admiral

• Members

keep going until you feel pained  :D     you do get to learn some team play and it will make you better.  

IJN: Mikasa,  Ichizuchi, Fuso, Amagi, Katori, kuma, Zao, Tachibana, KamikazeR, Shinonome, Shiratsuyu, Akizuki, Yugumo PA Anshan  

VFM: Aurora,Svietlana,  Murmansk, Budyonny, Chapayev, D.Donskoi, Ognevoi, Kiev, Tashkent, Udaloi, Khab  FRDougay T, Le Gal

USN:   New York, North Carolina,Phoenix,  Marblehead,  Indianapolis, Baltimore,  Farragut, Sims,Benson,Fletcher, Bogue    RN Leander, Edinburgh   

KM:  Konig Albert, Bayern, Graf Spee, Gneisenau, Bismarck, FDG, Emden, Karlsruhe  , Roon, Lib Maas         ARP: Kongo, Myoko, Haruna, Kirishima, Ashigara, Hiei, Haguro,  Nachi, Takao

Notser Certified Potato

Spooooooooooooooooooooon #14 Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:49 PM

• Beta Testers

I'm feeling the pain at rank 10.  Go from 10 to 12, then back down to 10, then back up to 11 or 12.  Rinse and repeat.  Excruciating

Pete_Darling #15 Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:01 PM

• Members

View PostSpooooooooooooooooooooon, on 21 February 2017 - 01:49 PM, said:

I'm feeling the pain at rank 10.  Go from 10 to 12, then back down to 10, then back up to 11 or 12.  Rinse and repeat.  Excruciating

Yea I hear ya, 12 to 10 killed my win percentage but I expected that. This season screwed me up because I didn't have any tier 7 ships that I felt were good for Ranked so I had to scramble to put some Random time on Akatsuki. Even though I put time in Ranked on the PT server and played some Random I feel like I'm learning her while playing Ranked, she is definitely a different IJN DD. 

Landing_Skipper #16 Posted 21 February 2017 - 06:23 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

View PostPete_Darling, on 21 February 2017 - 11:01 AM, said:

Yea I hear ya, 12 to 10 killed my win percentage but I expected that. This season screwed me up because I didn't have any tier 7 ships that I felt were good for Ranked so I had to scramble to put some Random time on Akatsuki. Even though I put time in Ranked on the PT server and played some Random I feel like I'm learning her while playing Ranked, she is definitely a different IJN DD. 

I'm breaking in Shiratsuyu through Ranked too.  Wasn't my favorite IJN DD before but she's working for me in Ranked.  Getting to Shimakaze about the time Ranked started is actually helping.

denismc66 #17 Posted 21 February 2017 - 06:37 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

View PostLanding_Skipper, on 21 February 2017 - 06:23 PM, said:

I'm breaking in Shiratsuyu through Ranked too.  Wasn't my favorite IJN DD before but she's working for me in Ranked.  Getting to Shimakaze about the time Ranked started is actually helping.

The shiri is my best ship and have a 67% winrate in random, but in ranked I am struggling with it, my w/r is about 48%.

In random you have a little more time to assess the situation, but in ranked its booom, bang half your team is dead.

I have had games with 4 kills and 100k+xp and lost, but then there have been games where I died without firing a shot and still went on to win.

But ranked has helped my overall gameplay in random so I will keep going for now

Pete_Darling #18 Posted 21 February 2017 - 06:39 PM

• Members

View PostLanding_Skipper, on 21 February 2017 - 06:23 PM, said:

I actually stopped playing Shimakaze months ago because I like Yugumo better and I'm glad I did because Akatsuki plays similar to it. So just before Ranked I pulled my Yugumo captain and stuck it in Akatsuki. 

Pete_Darling #19 Posted 21 February 2017 - 06:41 PM

• Members

View Postdenismc66, on 21 February 2017 - 06:37 PM, said:

The shiri is my best ship and have a 67% winrate in random, but in ranked I am struggling with it, my w/r is about 48%.

In random you have a little more time to assess the situation, but in ranked its booom, bang half your team is dead.

I have had games with 4 kills and 100k+xp and lost, but then there have been games where I died without firing a shot and still went on to win.

But ranked has helped my overall gameplay in random so I will keep going for now

I can't do crap in Smiakaze at like 50% WR but can't seem to get those 20k team killers on target 

yUPPatriots #20 Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:12 PM

Captain

• Members

I'm at rank 23 and proud of it. Rank play stinks until you get to approx rank 5 and above. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users