Tactics/Decisons That (Pretty Much) Never Work

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

nhf #1 Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:12 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

There is a bad tactic/decision because it did not work out, and then there are bad tactics/decisions because they (pretty much) NEVER work out.  Curious as to fellow player observations on the latter.  

My contribution to start things off:  The Battleship Circle Jerk... circle and swirl at max range (or further) while avoiding engagement or contributing to the battle in any meaningful way while weaker ally ships (e.g. Cruisers and Destroyers) endure focus fire from enemy Battleships, Cuisers and Destroyers, and are subsequently quickly destroyed, then the mass of remaining enemy ships converge on said circle jerkers resulting in an ally loss, often a blowout.  

Yours?

Edited by nhf, 17 February 2017 - 06:12 PM.

Nachoo31 #2 Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:13 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers

<---- See profile picture.  Driving in a straight line

Edited by Nachoo31, 17 February 2017 - 06:13 PM.

Looking for Clan?  TheKriegsmarines [KMS]  

Have you clicked on the picture in my profile?  Enjoy!

http://na.warshipsto...836912/dark.png

pewpewpew42 #3 Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:20 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

"Stay at the base and let them come to us"

Fools still think this works at T7. Have they not learned?

light.png

alexf24 #4 Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:27 PM

Captain

• Members

View Postpewpewpew42, on 17 February 2017 - 01:20 PM, said:

"Stay at the base and let them come to us"

That works only in Coop.

I shoot an arrow in the air, where it lands I do not care, I get my arrows wholesale -- Curly Howard (with a wink to Longfellow)

Legendary_Typo #5 Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:38 PM

Fleet Admiral

• Members

Crossing the T.

Eric_Von_Hess, Thank You.

Atago, Scharnhorst, Graf SpeeMarbleheadMurmansk, Katori, Emden, Mikasa, SmithTachibana.

ARP Takao, ARP AshigaraARP HaguroARP MyokoARP NachiARP HarunaARP HieiARP Kirishima, ARP KongoSouthern Dragon.

Zao, Admiral Hipper, Chapayev, Edinburgh, New Orleans, Gnevny, Kongo, Konig, Minekaze, Mutsuki, New York, Nicholas, T-22.

MrEndeavour #6 Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:15 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Sailing down the straight on "Two Brothers."

[-K-]

Ranked Season 6: Rank 1: 116 battles, 65% win rate

"Sometimes the smartest thing you can do is to play dumb"

pyantoryng #7 Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:20 PM

Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester

Playing US carriers...especially between tier 6 thru 8.

LegoGenius16 #8 Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:24 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Playing the Iowa when there are Russian CLs with IFHE.  You either get citadeled when you go broadside, or get mini-citadeled every 6 seconds from any angle when you try to tank.

#Detonate Jingles

Jinxed_Katajainen #9 Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:31 PM

Rear Admiral

• Supertest Coordinator

All ships going to one side on a circular layout 4 cap domination map, such as Two Brothers.

Trying to hold all points in a 3 cap domination map.

Battleships going A from the start on Okinawa and cutting themselves off from supporting B and C.

CPU: Intel i7 4770K, MB: ASUS Maximus VI HERO, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB, GPU: Geforce GTX 1060

BrushWolf #10 Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:56 PM

Rear Admiral

• Alpha Tester

View PostMrEndeavour, on 17 February 2017 - 01:15 PM, said:

There are points, typically late in a match where it makes sense but in the early stages it is the fast track to losing ships for nothing gained.

Ich lasse mir doch nicht mein Schiff unter dem Arsch wegschießen. Feuererlaubnis! (I'm not letting my ship get shot out from under my arse. Open fire!) Ernst Lindemann Captain KMS Bismarck

GAJohnnie #11 Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:01 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

A division of BBs following the red line away from the main areas of contact to capture a cap point or hunt a carrier thus taking themselves completely out of any effective value to the team.

Leskip #12 Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:01 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

on the lower tiers its  team mates shooting there guns right at the start way before any contact, a sure sign your on a losing team.

Edited by Leskip, 17 February 2017 - 10:01 PM.

KongoPride #13 Posted 18 February 2017 - 02:47 PM

Seaman

• Members

Going to A on Neighbors and swinging as far to the West as possible of it, essentially trapping your fleet.  All the while getting their your cruisers expose their broadsides taking many citadels from enemy battleships safely tucked into islands at B and C.

Pete_Darling #14 Posted 18 February 2017 - 04:15 PM

• Members

View PostJinxed_Katajainen, on 17 February 2017 - 07:31 PM, said:

All ships going to one side on a circular layout 4 cap domination map, such as Two Brothers.

Trying to hold all points in a 3 cap domination map.

This happens WAY too much to me. I usually just turn the opposite way and try to contest the other cap until the team gets back around the islands. Sure I'm going to die but the longer I hold the cap the more time me team has to get their butts back over there. There's no sense in just driving in circles and swapping caps. Sure it's not always the best thing to do and sometimes you will get jumped but it's a heck of a lot better than driving in circles. 

dust340man #15 Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:16 PM

• Members

Don't get aggressive too early and get sunk. I've learned that in a cruiser or BB it's best to let the battle unfold first to see where you can do the most damage and contribute to the team effort. Look at the mini map, don't go alone and have a plan. One exception of going alone is the good DD player who can get themselves out of a jam with smoke or speed boost. Of course I still play stupid at times but at least now I realize my stupidity.

Edited by dust340man, 18 February 2017 - 09:20 PM.

American ships: St. Louis, Phoenix, Pensacola, New York, Texas, Colorado, Wickes, Farragut, Mahan, Sims       Russian ships: Orlan, Bogatyr, Svetlana, Murmansk, Molotov, Derzki, Gnevny, Ognevoi  

Japanese shipsSouthern Dragon, ARP Ashigara, ARP Hagura, ARP Nachi, ARP Myoko, Ishizuchi, ARP Heil, ARP Kongo, ARP Krishima, ARP Haruna, Nagato, Umikaze, Mutsuki, Fubuki, Hatsuhuru, Akatsuki, Shiratsuyu      German ships: Konigsberg, Yorck, Nassau, Konig, Bayern, Gneisenau, Tirpitz , G-101       

Landing_Skipper #16 Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:11 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

Team says "AB" and one DD replies "I'll scout C". Especially if the other team already has 1 more DD than you do. YOLO only heard from when sunk. Even better if it's a light cruiser instead of a DD. 2 DDs vs. 1should always win. 

On Straight, trying to switch sides in Domination mode. Sometimes this tactic works in Standard battle.  The ships have to be fast enough. But in Domination you need to take A and C. Period. 

On Shards especially but most maps in general, trying to take A and C caps while ignoring B in the center. A disaster on Neighbors too. This is so bad that I wish I had function keys to say "must hold B" and "need B NOW". On virtually every 3 cap map except Shards, controlling B means controlling the map. 

Slow battleships going to one end of the map and congregating behind an island or three so that they can't see the enemy let alone shoot. South of A on Neighbors is a classic, as is A in general on Fault Line. Someone already mentioned A on Okinawa. D on Northern Lights. 

The entire fleet racing toward an end cap (A or C) after a DD has taken it and determined there aren't any enemy ships there. 

And my current favorite:  laying smoke to hide your team and staying in the smoke yourself. if there's a spotter in front of you it's fine, but how many times does a DD smoke up the entire fleet so that NO ONE can see the enemy?  A corollary is laying the smoke, staying out front, and opening fire on the enemy only to get focus fired and sunk immediately thereby leaving the team blind. If you are spotting, stay undetected. 

ETA:  the entire fleet going one way on Two Brothers is a great tactic if and only if (1) they really stay together, and (2) they keep pushing forward around the map. Few things are more frustrating on that map than fighting hard to take A or D, then seeing little or no opposition ahead while a chunk of your teammates stay on the spawn side of said cap despite your screams to "push through to ___".

Edited by Landing_Skipper, 21 February 2017 - 01:26 PM.

"Plan to be wrong about something." PRR (he knows who he is)

desmo_2 #17 Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:27 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

Battleships that run to an outer edge of the map.  Even worse, battleships that run to an outer edge of the map when there is a large island preventing them from shooting into the map.  "I'm going to flank them", they say.  News flash...you will emerge from your flanking attempt in 10 minutes and will have contributed nothing for half the game.  Don't be surprised if most of your team is resting on the bottom.

kvcaner #18 Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:16 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

View PostMrEndeavour, on 17 February 2017 - 02:15 PM, said:

All going ONE direction on Two Brothers. (Only works some times if you PUSH hard and FAST!) Almost never works. Typically you all go one way and meet some resistance, delaying your push to the enemy base; meanwhile half the enemy fleet moves unchallenged in the other direction  to either secure your base, or flank your team an annihilate you!

kvcaner #19 Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:18 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

View Postdesmo_2, on 21 February 2017 - 08:27 AM, said:

Battleships that run to an outer edge of the map.  Even worse, battleships that run to an outer edge of the map when there is a large island preventing them from shooting into the map.  "I'm going to flank them", they say.  News flash...you will emerge from your flanking attempt in 10 minutes and will have contributed nothing for half the game.  Don't be surprised if most of your team is resting on the bottom.

Fault Line Cap C on the Eastern edge of the map!

Sir_Davos_Seaworth #20 Posted 23 February 2017 - 12:06 AM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

View PostLeskip, on 17 February 2017 - 05:01 PM, said:

on the lower tiers its  team mates shooting there guns right at the start way before any contact, a sure sign your on a losing team.

I saw a guy "shelling" the airfield on Neighbors. Did he think the planes were real? Don't know...

The Onion Knight demands trial by World of Warships

Fleet in Being at Put-In-Bay Ohio: Brig, Niagara. Ironclad, Michigan (latter Wolverine)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users