Jump to content


My thoughts on Mutsu

mutsu

  • Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

TheKrimzonDemon #1 Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:13 PM

    Lieutenant Commander

  • Members

  • 2,886
  • Member since:
    10-22-2015

My only real problem with WG tossing Mutsu onto the premium pile is that she has nothing iconic about her. I mean, we're talking about a ship whose only claim to fame is blowing up and going to meet Davey in his Locker.

 

Combat experience-Nil.

Political anything-Nil.

 

She's no Scharnhorst, Tirpitz, Warspite, Arizona, Texas, That said, she does at least have the distinction of having been fully built and having served, compared to Nikolai and Ishizuchi. But, still.

 

It makes me wonder what the next iconic premium is going to cost, as well.

 

Personally, I don't want lackluster clones, or ships with no history. The thing I love most about this game is the ability to play with history, and I want, need, to play with ships that had a part in making history. Mutsu doesn't fit the bill.

 

This is simply my own opinion, I ain't sayin WG is wrong for how they're doing this, or for releasing the ship. I just honestly don't know if I'm going to buy her. She doesn't "do" anything for me, personally.


I drive ships. That's right, drive. I do not sail them. They don't have sails.


MrEndeavour #2 Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:16 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Members

  • 461
  • Member since:
    03-26-2015
It's more content in the game and no one is forcing anyone to buy it. To some people they buy it for the gameplay and not the history. Like me. I don't really give a rats a** about the Belfast's history but she is a great ship to play. 

[-K-]

 

Ranked Season 6: Rank 1: 116 battles, 65% win rate

"Sometimes the smartest thing you can do is to play dumb"


AdmiralPiett #3 Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:19 PM

    Ensign

  • Beta Testers

  • 1,014
  • Member since:
    05-14-2014
It does have a significant diplomatic, political and administrative history behind it. Just no real combat experience.

"The historian without his facts is rootless and futile; the facts with their historian are dead and meaningless." - E. H. Carr

Blinded by the Rising Sun? American Intelligence Assessments of Japanese Air and Naval Power, 1920-1941


TheKrimzonDemon #4 Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:19 PM

    Lieutenant Commander

  • Members

  • 2,886
  • Member since:
    10-22-2015

View PostMrEndeavour, on 17 February 2017 - 12:16 PM, said:

It's more content in the game and no one is forcing anyone to buy it. To some people they buy it for the gameplay and not the history. Like me. I don't really give a rats a** about the Belfast's history but she is a great ship to play. 

 

Did I knock the content? Did I say anyone was forcing anyone to do anything? No, I did not. I simply stated how it works for me. Please understand what you read before you reach for the sanctimony. :)

 

I enjoy Belfast for both the history and the gameplay.


I drive ships. That's right, drive. I do not sail them. They don't have sails.


RivertheRoyal #5 Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:19 PM

    Lieutenant Commander

  • Members

  • 2,821
  • Member since:
    08-28-2016
I think there's really only one reason to buy Mutsu: 410 mm guns at tier 6. 

TheKrimzonDemon #6 Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:20 PM

    Lieutenant Commander

  • Members

  • 2,886
  • Member since:
    10-22-2015

View PostAdmiralPiett, on 17 February 2017 - 12:19 PM, said:

It does have a significant diplomatic, political and administrative history behind it. Just no real combat experience.

 

It does? Odd, then, that I have never heard anything about it. o.O

I drive ships. That's right, drive. I do not sail them. They don't have sails.


TheKrimzonDemon #7 Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:20 PM

    Lieutenant Commander

  • Members

  • 2,886
  • Member since:
    10-22-2015

View PostRivertheRoyal, on 17 February 2017 - 12:19 PM, said:

I think there's really only one reason to buy Mutsu: 410 mm guns at tier 6. 

 

Ah, but with no AA and no armor...

I drive ships. That's right, drive. I do not sail them. They don't have sails.


RivertheRoyal #8 Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:22 PM

    Lieutenant Commander

  • Members

  • 2,821
  • Member since:
    08-28-2016

View PostTheKrimzonDemon, on 17 February 2017 - 11:20 AM, said:

 

Ah, but with no AA and no armor...

 

It's the trade off. I think~? 

SireneRacker #9 Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:24 PM

    Commander

  • Members

  • 3,622
  • Member since:
    07-14-2015

View PostTheKrimzonDemon, on 17 February 2017 - 06:20 PM, said:

 

It does? Odd, then, that I have never heard anything about it. o.O

 

I think he talks about all the political discussions that allowed Japan to build the Mutsu. Some of the points made were actually very funny. Mutsu was partially funded by money from school children and scrapping her would disappoint those poor children. Doesn't that sound hilarious?

Proud member of [WAIFU], nothing beats Prinz Eugen

 

Torpedoes don't have any friends. So they will kill everything in their path. To prevent team kills we should all watch out where we fire those fishes. That means each and everyone of us, DDs of the second line!

No my name does NOT refer to those things from Odysseus! They refer to those loud things attached to a fire truck. Not to beautiful girls singing on the Ocean.


Triela50 #10 Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:27 PM

    Captain

  • Beta Testers

  • 4,073
  • Member since:
    04-24-2014
One can also say that the Arizona's claim to fame was blowing up

AdmiralPiett #11 Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:27 PM

    Ensign

  • Beta Testers

  • 1,014
  • Member since:
    05-14-2014

View PostTheKrimzonDemon, on 17 February 2017 - 10:20 AM, said:

 

It does? Odd, then, that I have never heard anything about it. o.O

 

Most people aren't into that kind of thing. I personally find the interwar period more interesting than all the shooting on either end of it, so Mutsu holds significance to me as one of the "big seven." There was a lot of debate and negotiation over whether she would even survive the signing of the Washington Naval Treaty, and her continued existence ensured that other 16" gun-armed warships survived the treaty as well. Yonai Mitsumasa served as captain for a time, and Mutsu also served as the Emperor's flagship a couple of times.

"The historian without his facts is rootless and futile; the facts with their historian are dead and meaningless." - E. H. Carr

Blinded by the Rising Sun? American Intelligence Assessments of Japanese Air and Naval Power, 1920-1941


TheKrimzonDemon #12 Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:29 PM

    Lieutenant Commander

  • Members

  • 2,886
  • Member since:
    10-22-2015

View PostRivertheRoyal, on 17 February 2017 - 12:22 PM, said:

 

It's the trade off. I think~? 

 

Considering that T6 has a very good chance to meet multiple cv's, no thanks. xD

I drive ships. That's right, drive. I do not sail them. They don't have sails.


YanderesFTW #13 Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:30 PM

    Seaman

  • Members

  • 36
  • Member since:
    01-18-2016

View PostTheKrimzonDemon, on 18 February 2017 - 03:13 AM, said:

My only real problem with WG tossing Mutsu onto the premium pile is that she has nothing iconic about her. I mean, we're talking about a ship whose only claim to fame is blowing up and going to meet Davey in his Locker.

 

Combat experience-Nil.

Political anything-Nil.

 

She's no Scharnhorst, Tirpitz, Warspite, Arizona, Texas, That said, she does at least have the distinction of having been fully built and having served, compared to Nikolai and Ishizuchi. But, still.

 

Tirpitz literally sat in Norway and did nothing except provide the RAF a juicy target and Arizona just sat in a harbor and exploded. 



TheKrimzonDemon #14 Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:30 PM

    Lieutenant Commander

  • Members

  • 2,886
  • Member since:
    10-22-2015

View PostAdmiralPiett, on 17 February 2017 - 12:27 PM, said:

 

Most people aren't into that kind of thing. I personally find the interwar period more interesting than all the shooting on either end of it, so Mutsu holds significance to me as one of the "big seven." There was a lot of debate and negotiation over whether she would even survive the signing of the Washington Naval Treaty, and her continued existence ensured that other 16" gun-armed warships survived the treaty as well. Yonai Mitsumasa served as captain for a time, and Mutsu also served as the Emperor's flagship a couple of times.

 

Ok, I knew all that. I thought you meant something truly significant. :D Her survival of the Treaty was entirely due to how she was funded. I honestly believe if she'd not been funded by schoolchildren, she'd have never survived the Treaty.

I drive ships. That's right, drive. I do not sail them. They don't have sails.


Lert #15 Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:31 PM

    Admiral

  • Supertester
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

  • 10,440
  • Member since:
    08-09-2012

View PostTheKrimzonDemon, on 17 February 2017 - 05:13 PM, said:

I mean, we're talking about a ship whose only claim to fame is blowing up and going to meet Davey in his Locker.

 

Like Arizona.

(Above stats not guaranteed accurate. I'm a supertester and test ships don't always register correctly)

 

Ship hipster: I liked Alabama before it was cool


TheKrimzonDemon #16 Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:32 PM

    Lieutenant Commander

  • Members

  • 2,886
  • Member since:
    10-22-2015

View PostYanderesFTW, on 17 February 2017 - 12:30 PM, said:

 

Tirpitz literally sat in Norway and did nothing except provide the RAF a juicy target and Arizona just sat in a harbor and exploded. 

 

Tirpitz literally tied up the entire RN Home fleet, just by sitting there and being a fat juicy target. :D AZ's significance is when it happened, not what she did with her guns, I'm a US citizen, AZ is very important to us.

I drive ships. That's right, drive. I do not sail them. They don't have sails.


Hatework #17 Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:32 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Members

  • 514
  • Member since:
    11-07-2015

Lert beat me to it.  Arizonas only claim to "fame" is also blowing up.

 

Also, what did tirpitz accomplish again?


Edited by Hatework, 17 February 2017 - 05:33 PM.


TheKrimzonDemon #18 Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:32 PM

    Lieutenant Commander

  • Members

  • 2,886
  • Member since:
    10-22-2015

View PostLert, on 17 February 2017 - 12:31 PM, said:

 

Like Arizona.

 

In combat.

I drive ships. That's right, drive. I do not sail them. They don't have sails.


TheKrimzonDemon #19 Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:33 PM

    Lieutenant Commander

  • Members

  • 2,886
  • Member since:
    10-22-2015

View PostHatework, on 17 February 2017 - 12:32 PM, said:

Lert beat me to it.  Arizonas only claim to "fame" is also blowing up.

 

In combat.

I drive ships. That's right, drive. I do not sail them. They don't have sails.


YanderesFTW #20 Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:33 PM

    Seaman

  • Members

  • 36
  • Member since:
    01-18-2016

View PostTheKrimzonDemon, on 18 February 2017 - 03:32 AM, said:

I'm a US citizen, AZ is very important to us.

Yes, it shows.







Also tagged with mutsu

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users