Ranked is like Blackjack

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Landing_Skipper #1 Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:56 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

After see-sawing for hours yesterday only to end down 1 star, I won 5 in a row this morning and got to 8.  I'm done for today!

It's just like poker or blackjack, the hardest thing to do - but the most essential - is to quit while you're ahead! :D

Edited by Landing_Skipper, 17 February 2017 - 05:14 PM.

"Plan to be wrong about something." PRR (he knows who he is)

TheKrimzonDemon #2 Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:00 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

That is like Blackjack is why I'm considering no longer worrying about it.

Ships that I drive around looking for parking: Way more than I should be allowed to. 85 and counting. Nuff said.

tcbaker777 #3 Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:00 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Image result for here we go again gif imgur  Chalk up another Ranked thread Johnny

" Older men declare war. But it is the youth that must fight and die" - Herbert Hoover 

"War never ends, it only rests"

"I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its stupidity" - Dwight D. Eisenhower 

Official Meme Lord of HiNon Clan

Crucis #4 Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:00 PM

Rear Admiral

• Members

I don't quite know about that.  I would ride the great winning streak until until you lost one or perhaps 2 in a row, THEN call it a day.

Phoenix_jz #5 Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:01 PM

Commander

• Beta Testers

Eh, at least with blackjack you're the least at the dealer's mercy (relative to other games, at least).

Current Fleet:                                                                                    My "Steel, Paper, or Fiction?" Series
USN:   Farragut       Pensacola        Arkansas Beta                                            Aircraft Carriers
                                Indianapolis                                                                            Battleships
IJN:     Minekaze     Myoko                                                                                       Cruisers
RN:                          Leander                                                                                  Destroyers
RM:                                                                                                                 Suggestion Threads:
MN:                                                   Dunkerque                                     French Destroyer Tree Thread
KM:                          Nürnberg          Bayern                                                            Bolzano
VMF:   Ognevoi                                                                                                        Gorizia
ARP:                                                                                                        Japanese Cruiser Split Thread

Landing_Skipper #6 Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:20 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

View PostTheKrimzonDemon, on 17 February 2017 - 12:00 PM, said:

That is like Blackjack is why I'm considering no longer worrying about it.

Actually, the time of day is part of my decision to stop.  Mid to late morning EST seems to be less toxic and more teamwork.  IOW skill might be more important now than later.  Especially with the weekend coming up.  Tonight?  Fuggetaboutit!

Another consideration is that I tend to do best in my first 5-10 battles.  Unless I take a considerable break from the game like 2-3 hours.  So I do one warm up game in Fujin or Shinonome, then dive in with Shiratsuyu for a while.  When I start getting clumsy or make stupidly aggressive moves out of frustration, it's time for me to quit.  Winning or losing.

"Plan to be wrong about something." PRR (he knows who he is)

TalonV #7 Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:34 PM

Admiral of the Navy

• Alpha Tester
  • Beta Testers

Not blackjack. More like Roulette.

​You can't fix bad teams. There's no mechanic you can implement, there is no tutorial they can take.

Bad teams are forever.

slak__ #8 Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:37 PM

Fleet Admiral

• Members

NEW DEALER!!!!!

NAOW!

Canadatron #9 Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:40 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

This whole game is like poker. RNG to an extent and then player skill uses the cards that are dealt. This is why when scrubs start crying over RNG they are showing how stupid and narrow minded they are. Plenty of games are RNG dependant and are still considered competitive simply because player skill dictates decisions with regard to what RNG sends your way. 

Sometimes people go for the bluff, sometimes you bust. No one is screaming "that guys hand is OP! Not fair" "nerf royal flushes!"

-={FOG}=- Community Member

slak__ #10 Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:46 PM

Fleet Admiral

• Members

View PostCanadatron, on 17 February 2017 - 01:40 PM, said:

poker

better example I think

McDoob #11 Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:29 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View Posttcbaker777, on 17 February 2017 - 05:00 PM, said:

[oddly familiar annoying gif removed] Chalk up another Ranked thread Johnny

You seem to enjoy spreading salt. Do you ever actually contribute anything useful?

tcbaker777 #12 Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:32 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostMcDoob, on 17 February 2017 - 01:29 PM, said:

You seem to enjoy spreading salt. Do you ever actually contribute anything useful?

not salty at all dude, have you seen how many Ranked threads have been in the past few days?

" Older men declare war. But it is the youth that must fight and die" - Herbert Hoover 

"War never ends, it only rests"

"I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its stupidity" - Dwight D. Eisenhower 

Official Meme Lord of HiNon Clan

ArIskandir #13 Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:32 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

Do you mean as in the House(WG) always win?

BlueMistPvP #14 Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:58 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

The problem I think with Ranked players is that they vastly overestimate their own skill. If you take a look at players who think they're good vs the ones who actually ARE good, the ones who are good are having no trouble at all advancing 

It's not just WG who has Russian Bias........

FiveStarMojo #15 Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:09 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

It is like blackjack. I seem to get stuck at the table with the potatoes hitting on 20 and the enemy team is the house taking my star shaped chips.

Varathius #16 Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:18 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

View PostLanding_Skipper, on 17 February 2017 - 04:56 PM, said:

After see-sawing for hours yesterday only to end down 1 star, I won 5 in a row this morning and got to 8.  I'm done for today!

It's just like poker or blackjack, the hardest thing to do - but the most essential - is to quit while you're ahead! :D

I hate to break it for you but that is not how it works if you want to reach low rank. This is a math game involved ofc with luck but ultimately it gets to statistics. So let's say you are rank 15 (I think you then need 46 stars or something for rank 1), so you had 5 losses yesterday and 8 wins today, let's say you were top loser in one match yesterday, so today you are +4 stars, so only 42 stars to go! Unfortunately, does not work like that at all, with a 52% w/l and let's say you are top loser in 1 out of 5 matches, you are still looking at 300+ games statistically speaking to reach rank 1. Do not know exact numbers despite some quick math thinking but the ballpark is around there. I understand your motivation and I am glad you are having fun, but you need to play many, many more matches if your goal is to reach rank one :) Tomorrow you will lose again all of the stars you won today and if you don't, you will after tomorrow, and so on, and progress only slowly, via amount of games played.

The secret is having the patience to endure a lot of headaches until you get to that point. It becomes very frustrating.

FiveStarMojo #17 Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:21 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

One of my friends said it took him over a week of playing a few hours a day to get from rank 2 to rank 1. Be ready for the grind.

renegadestatuz #18 Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:43 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View PostVarathius, on 17 February 2017 - 05:18 PM, said:

I hate to break it for you but that is not how it works if you want to reach low rank. This is a math game involved ofc with luck but ultimately it gets to statistics. So let's say you are rank 15 (I think you then need 46 stars or something for rank 1), so you had 5 losses yesterday and 8 wins today, let's say you were top loser in one match yesterday, so today you are +4 stars, so only 42 stars to go! Unfortunately, does not work like that at all, with a 52% w/l and let's say you are top loser in 1 out of 5 matches, you are still looking at 300+ games statistically speaking to reach rank 1. Do not know exact numbers despite some quick math thinking but the ballpark is around there. I understand your motivation and I am glad you are having fun, but you need to play many, many more matches if your goal is to reach rank one :) Tomorrow you will lose again all of the stars you won today and if you don't, you will after tomorrow, and so on, and progress only slowly, via amount of games played.

The secret is having the patience to endure a lot of headaches until you get to that point. It becomes very frustrating.

Your math is wrong. You need 55 stars to go from rank 15 to rank 1. And 40 stars to go from rank 10 to rank 1.

dark.png

Peregrinas #19 Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:57 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View PostVarathius, on 17 February 2017 - 04:18 PM, said:

It wasn't too long ago that I plotted it out to see what the plots will look like for this (except I plotted win rate versus average number of battles per star): http://forum.worldof...31#entry2800631

Spoiler

Battleship_Constitution #20 Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:59 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

wanna know the trick? WORK AS A TEAM, how you do that is up to yall but without communication you will fail at ranked

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users