How many women...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

meangrrl #1 Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:52 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

...does it take to change a lightbulb?

Uhhh...No. How many women like to wargame here at WoW? Are there any female developers? I'm just curious for a dozen or so reasons, not least of which is that I'll need a job someday. I'd also like to form a clan of mean girls, assuming I ever get (a) competent, and (b) experienced enough not to set the Female Wargaming Movement (FWM) back 6 months or so.

About me? I'm a professional high school student, soon to graduate and attend a small college in sunny Seattle. I have always, ALWAYS loved ships. Not sailboats either, but real ships and I love naval history from about 1900-1942 or so. I'm not a carrier fan, but I love dreadnoughts! World War 1 rules when it comes to naval conflict. Jutland and Dogger Bank, for example, are amazing to me. I also like the stories about German raiders from both wars. I'm not a Nazi, or even a big fan of the Kaiser, but I love the German navy! Love the ships for their beautiful design and construction, and that wonderful tradition of Teutonic Tragedy which began with Martin Luther and continues to this day.

I got interested in playing this because some guys at school were talking about it. Actually they were talking about World of Tanks, but that doesn't interest me at all. I like BIG guns! Yeah, kind of a phallus thing, but try not to read too much into it. I also like comic books, Marvel Movies (even the bad ones) and Tom Brady -- Which is why I'm so mean! Stop picking on him!

My questions: How come we can't select (historically accurate) names for our ships, instead of getting stuck with the class name? I mean, obviously some ships only have 1 or 2 in the class, but some classes have a dozen or more ships in them. Create a drop down menu when they're bought. It's not a game changer in the slightest, but it might be a little more interesting.

Where are the British battleships, and especially the battlecruisers? The Rodney, Nelson, Hood, Tiger, the "R" class, Prince of Wales, etc. and what about the County Class cruisers? Norfolk, Suffolk? Devonshire? You get my point. They couldn't be licensed from the Queen or what?

Also...I love submarines almost as much as I love dreadnoughts, so...World of Submarines? Is it feasible? Should I submit my resume? When I get one, I mean. ...Okay, that's it. Thanks for listening. If there's a girl out there who wants to beat up boys, let me know. Seriously. I know I'm not the only one around here.

ps- I almost forgot: It only takes one woman to change a lightbulb, you sexist bastard!  :D

Admiral_Franz_von_Hipper #2 Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:57 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View Postmeangrrl, on 17 February 2017 - 11:52 AM, said:

My questions: How come we can't select (historically accurate) names for our ships, instead of getting stuck with the class name? I mean, obviously some ships only have 1 or 2 in the class, but some classes have a dozen or more ships in them. Create a drop down menu when they're bought. It's not a game changer in the slightest, but it might be a little more interesting.

Where are the British battleships, and especially the battlecruisers? The Rodney, Nelson, Hood, Tiger, the "R" class, Prince of Wales, etc. and what about the County Class cruisers? Norfolk, Suffolk? Devonshire? You get my point. They couldn't be licensed from the Queen or what?

Also...I love submarines almost as much as I love dreadnoughts, so...World of Submarines? Is it feasible? Should I submit my resume? When I get one, I mean. ...Okay, that's it. Thanks for listening. If there's a girl out there who wants to beat up boys, let me know. Seriously. I know I'm not the only one around here.

1. Because of premium ships and that the ships in game technically represent the class of ships as a whole.

2. RN BBs will come sometime this year. Nothing known about the RN CAs.

3. Has already been beaten to death.

EDIT: Oh and welcome to the game!

Edited by Admiral_Franz_von_Hipper, 17 February 2017 - 05:00 PM.

"Hit First. Hit Hard. Keep on Hitting" ~ John "Jackie" Fisher

Ships in Port:

German Tech Tree Suggestion

TTK_Aegis #3 Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:04 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

Sadly the primary reason for no subs in the game (aside from fragility and very low speed and WG's insistence on not introducing torps that fire from bellow the water line and cannot be aimed without turning the ship) is that there's no underwater topography to any of the maps past the shallows near islands. 

Some kind of a submarine based game would be a lot of fun I think, but it's not going to happen in WoWS. Or, well, okay let's not say never. Who knows what could happen, right? But I wouldn't expect it within the next three years at any rate. 

Anyway, welcome to the forums! Nice to see more female gamers playing shooty boats. As best I can tell, the vast majority of people on the forum at least are male, but you have Little White Mouse as one of the primary ship reviewers and community contributes who is a lady so maybe she can shine a bit more light on the demographics if she sees this post. 

Edited by TTK_Aegis, 17 February 2017 - 05:05 PM.

Legendary_Typo #4 Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:06 PM

Fleet Admiral

• Members

I'm no female, but I do know of a couple females who do play WoWS, and play it very well, too. Not so sure about female devs though.

As for your questions, while I don't think WG's said anything official about it, having the option to rename your ship to anything in the class would be pretty confusing, a lot of people wouldn't know that "Radford" would be a Fletcher-class if it just popped up on the team panel.

The British BBs are coming, very soon. Not sure about British CAs though.

WG has said no to submarines a lot of times in the past, biggest reasons because they wouldn't have a place in the current meta, and the game engine doesn't support them. In a different game, it's entirely possible. But I don't think player-controlled subs are coming to WoWS anytime soon.

Eric_Von_Hess, Thank You.

Atago, Scharnhorst, Graf SpeeMarbleheadMurmansk, Emden, Mikasa, SmithTachibana.

ARP Takao, ARP AshigaraARP HaguroARP MyokoARP NachiARP HarunaARP HieiARP Kirishima, ARP KongoSouthern Dragon.

Zao, Admiral HipperChapayev, New Orleans, Fiji, GnevnyMinekaze, Mutsuki, Nicholas, T-22.

Jim_Byrnes #5 Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:17 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

To find women of WG one need look no further than the forums patron saint LittleWhiteMouse! Not a "mean girl" but I wouldn't want her targeting me....

Living proof you can have a blast while learning what not to do!

IJN Nagato Fuso Kongo Ishizuchi ARP Kirishima ARP Kongo ARP Hiei ARP Nachi ARP Takao  Mogami Atago Myoko Fujin Shiratsuyu Fubuki

USN Atlanta Farragut German BB Tirpitz Sharnhorst Gneisenau Bismarck CA Prinz Eugen  Russian CA Molotov and Blyskawica

Spoiler

TTK_Aegis #6 Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:20 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

View PostJim_Byrnes, on 17 February 2017 - 05:17 PM, said:

To find women of WG one need look no further than the forums patron saint LittleWhiteMouse! Not a "mean girl" but I wouldn't want her targeting me....

Her favorite ship is the lolpen machine Warspite isn't it? That's kind of mean at least. :D

Admiral_Franz_von_Hipper #7 Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:21 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostLegendary_Typo, on 17 February 2017 - 12:06 PM, said:

As for your questions, while I don't think WG's said anything official about it, having the option to rename your ship to anything in the class would be pretty confusing, a lot of people wouldn't know that "Radford" would be a Fletcher-class if it just popped up on the team panel.

Not to mention that some people could go an doof around with some ships like naming the T4 Kaiser "Friedrich der Große", the T5 König "Großer Kurfürst", the T9 Fletcher "Nicholas" or "Wickes", or many other things.

"Hit First. Hit Hard. Keep on Hitting" ~ John "Jackie" Fisher

Ships in Port:

German Tech Tree Suggestion

pmgaudio #8 Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:29 PM

Rear Admiral

• Members

10/10.. This has to be the most ingenious Sub Thread ever.... you had us all up to the last sentence and than BLAMMO!!!!! Sub thread...
Well played OP.... well played indeed.....:honoring:

“Leave the gun....
Take the Cannoli”
  __Clemenza

RivertheRoyal #9 Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:39 PM

Ensign

• Members

View Postpmgaudio, on 17 February 2017 - 11:29 AM, said:

10/10.. This has to be the most ingenious Sub Thread ever.... you had us all up to the last sentence and than BLAMMO!!!!! Sub thread...
Well played OP.... well played indeed.....:honoring:

Well, it's an introduction thread. The whole sub thing is a .... sub topic. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Anyway, welcome to the forums, and to the game OP! 

Stats? What Stats~?

A self-aware tater will always learn and get better making them not a tater, as opposed to a non-self aware tater—who is definitively just a tater.

Supercontainers—How to Buff? 

Destroyer_Johnston #10 Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:40 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Beta Testers

At one point WG was thinking about letting people use a ship name from the class but then decided against it for the reason stated it would be to confusing to people that don't know the names of all 175 Fletcher's. 

"Even as we began laying smoke, the Japanese started lobbing shells at us and Johnston had to zigzag between the splashes....

We were the first destroyer to make smoke, the first to start firing, the first to launch a torpedo attack...."

Wherever there is a mess the destroyer runs first She is expendable and dangerous.

Fritz131 #11 Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:45 PM

Seaman

• Members

Surprised that no one has mentioned this yet. There is a mod that allows you to customize the ship names in game. It's only on your end and while it's a good mod, it's very confusing at times but nice. https://www.woeramods.com/2017/02/11/0-6-1-0-ship-name-selector/

Highlighted is in Port

VMF: Budyonny, Derzki IJN: Kamikaze, Isokaze Kuma, Myogi, USN: Atlanta, Clemson, Wyoming, Phoenix, Langley KSM: Bayern, Scharnhorst, Tirpitz, Karlsruhe RN: Campbeltown, Leander

ARP: Hiei, Kongo, Haruna, Kirishina, Ashigara Haugro Myoko

Current Grind: Groser Kurfurst

iDuckman #12 Posted 18 February 2017 - 05:25 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Oh, somebody's got to do it. 

How many mean girls does it take to change a light bulb?  None.  They just make the boys do it.

:honoring:   Yes, ma'am.  (What was that about subs?)

BTW, well written and enjoyable post, meangrrl.  I think you'll go far, and you should.

Edited by iDuckman, 18 February 2017 - 05:27 AM.

mletrout #13 Posted 18 February 2017 - 03:09 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

I agree with iDuckman's comments. That's a fun intro and nice to meet you. My name is Emily Forelle, which becomes mletrout in my clever way. I'm from Germany. Now in the USA. There are more than a few girls here, I think. We can join sometime and see if we are mean together. I like cruisers -- not too big and not too small, and they shoot fast. I am impatient, so maybe I'm a bad team player.

HMCS_Devilfish #14 Posted 18 February 2017 - 03:18 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

NEVER EVER POST ABOUT SUBS AGAIN ... taboo subject cause your post will turn into popcorn in no time
As far as Women , most likely lots here , littlewhitemouse has more knowledge about this game than me times 10 over and I know a few things cause Ive seen a few things at Wows

iDuckman #15 Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:13 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Well, there's subs .. and then there's subs.  If you get my drift.  <nudge nudge wink wink>

:bajan:

Kenneth_Armstrong #16 Posted 20 February 2017 - 01:59 PM

Seaman

• Members

Welcome aboard Shipmate, and good luck to you and keep your powder dry :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users