What Ranked Reveals About MM

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Warped_1 #1 Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:57 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Let me start this off by saying MM is almost flawless about matching ship types anymore.  SOO much better then a year ago.

That said, during Ranked it really highlights the next opportunity to make a difference for balanced gameplay.  How many of you during RANDOM battles see the winning side generally has a majority of Ranked players.  Obviously this is easy to spot in lower gameplay T4-6ish, but it is even common at higher levels.

Wonder if there are any plans to start splitting teams to balance out Ranks, if not Captain skills...

PrairiePlayer #2 Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:23 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Well, that assumes ranked players are better than random players in random matches.  I certainly admit that there are some very good players who participate in ranked matches, but there are also many other competent players who choose to avoid ranked for their own reasons. 

Sinboto #3 Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:32 PM

Commander

• Supertester
  • Beta Testers

then there are the guys that kinda fail up ranked all together.... 

FATqxHx.gif

MrEndeavour #4 Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:33 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

I wish the MM realized the clans trying to drop sync at the same time and put them on different teams.

[-K-]

Ranked Season 6: Rank 1: 116 battles, 65% win rate

"Sometimes the smartest thing you can do is to play dumb"

NitroLauncher717 #5 Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:33 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostPrairiePlayer, on 16 February 2017 - 11:23 AM, said:

Well, that assumes ranked players are better than random players in random matches.  I certainly admit that there are some very good players who participate in ranked matches, but there are also many other competent players who choose to avoid ranked for their own reasons. 

To be fair I see this at higher tiers too, with similar results. Generally speaking if one side is largely unranked, and there's a bunch of rank 1-10 on the other, the ranked team usually does better. 

Sampson|Smith|Albany|St.Louis|Clemson|Phoenix|Marblehead(PAX)|Texas|Cleveland|New Orleans|New Mexico|Arizona|Atlanta|Murmansk|Derzki|Mikasa|Katori|Minekaze|Mutsuki|Kuma|Kongo|Konig Albert|Scharnhorst|Tirpitz|

ARP Kongo|ARP Haruna|ARP Kirishima|ARP Hiei|ARP Ashigara|ARP Nachi|ARP Haguro|ARP Takao

Day Zero Missouri

Crucis #6 Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:39 PM

Rear Admiral

• Members

View PostMrEndeavour, on 16 February 2017 - 12:33 PM, said:

I wish the MM realized the clans trying to drop sync at the same time and put them on different teams.

^So much this!!!

Spooooooooooooooooooooon #7 Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:42 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

I had a random game yesterday in which we got absolutely schooled by the enemy team.  At the end of the game I looked and saw that most of our team was rank 10 or below, and one was even rank 5.  Enemy team was largely unranked.  I feel like this is probably a statistical flier but it brings home that by not paying attention any team can lose, regardless of player skill makeup.

jw

CapnCappy #8 Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:48 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

Ranked MM needs to account for smoke and radar.

If one side has a Pepsi, Myoko, and IJN DD and the other side has a Fiji, Belfast, and Mahan.... the non-smoke, non-radar side is SCREWED.

CapnCappy's PC buildCapnCappy Stats

How to do "Adjusted" auto drops in CVs.

Patchy the Pirate says - "This be a salty bunch o' sea rats if'n ey ever seen'em with me good eye!"

AVR_Project #9 Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:16 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View PostMrEndeavour, on 16 February 2017 - 12:33 PM, said:

ANSWER:

1) Shut down ranked battles when the population is low.

2) do not assemble matches with people who have 'drop sync'd at the same second - assemble teams across a 16 second window - one second per player grab.

So much has been lost, so much forgotten. So much pain, so much blood. And for what? I wonder. The past tempts us, the present confuses us, and the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between. But there is still time to seize that one last, fragile moment. To choose something better, to make a difference.  -- Babylon 5

Landing_Skipper #10 Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:54 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

View PostCapnCappy, on 16 February 2017 - 12:48 PM, said:

Ranked MM needs to account for smoke and radar.

If one side has a Pepsi, Myoko, and IJN DD and the other side has a Fiji, Belfast, and Mahan.... the non-smoke, non-radar side is SCREWED.

Two radar cruisers on one side and zero on the other does NOT make balanced teams. Even worse, 2 Belfasts vs. no Belfasts. 

I don't understand why MM can't account for this. I thought it was supposed to try to balance out nations. IOW one USN DD, one Brit CL, and one German BB per side. 

"Plan to be wrong about something." PRR (he knows who he is)

Special_Kay #11 Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:37 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers

You don't need ranked placements to balance matches by player skill. If they wanted to implement skill-based matchmaking, they'd have done so.

An open letter to the so-called "sniping" battleships: if you're going to let softer teammates take your share of the enemy fire, you need to do their share of damage in addition to your own. Otherwise you aren't sniping—you are dead weight, and you're gambling that your teammates don't have enough other dead weight to carry that they can still carry you.
Learn how to quantify the effect of fire chance modifications!

Enable replays! You never know when you will discover a bug or witness someone exploiting or being abusive, and demonstrating it to WG staff is much more difficult without a replay.

Seamus_44 #12 Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:29 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Synced can also result in the players being opposite teams, so it probably evens out. The worst is when there are few dds and one side has all the radar, at least for the ddds.

Sabot_100 #13 Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:17 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostLanding_Skipper, on 16 February 2017 - 06:54 PM, said:

Two radar cruisers on one side and zero on the other does NOT make balanced teams. Even worse, 2 Belfasts vs. no Belfasts. 

Like carriers, radar needs to be balanced.

How could MM handle a division of 3 Belfasts (or other radar equipped ships)? One team is going to get a huge leg up for the eventual win.

Assuming there aren't enough non-division radar ships in the queue to add to the other side, one possible counter would be to give the disadvantaged side one more high tier ship.

As a DD player, a better solution would be to remove radar, but thats not going to happen.:teethhappy:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users