How am I doing? (Part 2)

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Battleship_MaineMk1 #1 Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:32 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

So since the last time I posted, I have asked how my gameplay seems to be progressing. I have worked hard to implement strategies suggested by many, and have run a battle or two with some good players who passed onto me some really good advice.

https://worldofwarsh...estShip=phoenix

https://na.warships....g_Cruiser_Maine

So over all my stats have improved, which I only care about to the degree of "If they go up, I am developing a skill correctly, if they go down I am not", weather or not I have a 20% WR or 80% WR is not important to me.

I also just baught Cleveland, and I feel at home with her! After playing Konigsberg and Kirov, the feel of Cleveland is great. After 4 Co-Op victories and one Random battle victory, I mounted some silver upgrades so my ship would have a good damage resistance and better dispersion + secondary battery range (which is godly on cleveland when you saddle up Defensive fire and a fighter plane. NOTHING FLYING LIVES XD)

So on my path to 1,000 battles, I have a few questions for my betterment.

1. Where based on performance can I improve? (I can't upload replays right now sadly, but my stats say enough)

2. What can I do to make Cleveland a stronger ship? So far she has Aiming modification and Fire/flood resistance. slot 1 and 4 on her are open, and she is stock.

Edit: Today is my 18th Birthday and I got a girlfriend yesterday, so between real life and in-game I am doing FANTASTIC! :D

Edited by Fog_Cruiser_Maine, 16 February 2017 - 04:37 PM.

Remember the Maine, Remember the Arizona! #neverforget | I support the USS Maine as a US premium! #GiveMeMaine

Statically speaking...

Formerly Luke_Skywalker01 and Fog_Cruiser_Maine

scruffycavetroll #2 Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:33 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

did you ask me to div up the other day?

sorry i had to run...i did come back and PM you but you either were ignoring me or left

look for me to again tomorrow night.  : D i'd like to div, never done that. 

Edited by scruffycavetroll, 16 February 2017 - 04:34 PM.

Battleship_MaineMk1 #3 Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:35 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

View Postscruffycavetroll, on 16 February 2017 - 09:33 AM, said:

did you ask me to div up the other day?

sorry i had to run...i did come back and PM you but you either were ignoring me or left

look for me to again tomorrow night.  : D i'd like to div, never done that. 

I either left or fell asleep at my desk, I never ignore a request to run with someone. That goes against any logic of a MMO to run solo.
Remember the Maine, Remember the Arizona! #neverforget | I support the USS Maine as a US premium! #GiveMeMaine

Statically speaking...

scruffycavetroll #4 Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:36 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View PostFog_Cruiser_Maine, on 16 February 2017 - 11:35 AM, said:

I either left or fell asleep at my desk, I never ignore a request to run with someone. That goes against any logic of a MMO to run solo.

i should be in tomorrow night est time. maybe @ 7 or so...look for me again. 

Battleship_MaineMk1 #5 Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:38 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

View Postscruffycavetroll, on 16 February 2017 - 09:36 AM, said:

i should be in tomorrow night est time. maybe @ 7 or so...look for me again. 

k. Your on scruff :great:

Edited by Fog_Cruiser_Maine, 16 February 2017 - 04:38 PM.

Statically speaking...

scruffycavetroll #6 Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:46 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View PostFog_Cruiser_Maine, on 16 February 2017 - 11:38 AM, said:

k. Your on scruff :great:

can use my friends TS too

Battleship_MaineMk1 #7 Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:48 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

View Postscruffycavetroll, on 16 February 2017 - 09:46 AM, said:

can use my friends TS too

sweet! that means I get to crap talk all the rising sun players! XD

Statically speaking...

pewpewpew42 #8 Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:07 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

You seem to be doing ok. I would try to deal more damage in battles. Staying alive longer means more time to deal damage. You're doing great for 200 battles!
light.png

Battleship_MaineMk1 #9 Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:11 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

View Postpewpewpew42, on 16 February 2017 - 10:07 AM, said:

You seem to be doing ok. I would try to deal more damage in battles. Staying alive longer means more time to deal damage. You're doing great for 200 battles!

Thanks! ^-^

As to staying alive longer, I am able to park in Cleveland and fire partially broadside (enough for all 4 turrets) and ambush someone coming around an island. WAY MORE my playstyle. :D

Statically speaking...

h_balck #10 Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:14 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Your over all damage numbers per ship are slightly to generally below the average.  On a related note, your hit ratio's descent with just three of your most played ships, the rest are below average.  

Aiming is easy to learn, hard to master.   Get better at this and your damage per game should go up.  Work on getting hit rates of 30% or higher with BB's, around 35% or higher with cruisers and around 40% or higher with DD's.  This should improve your overall performance substantially.  Download the training room and add some bots of the tiers you'll likely face in your ship(s) and practice your aim on them.  

Best of luck.

:izmena:

DingBat #11 Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:15 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Honestly, OP, I would suggest you not be in quite so much of a rush to get to higher tiers. This was ALWAYS the #1 piece of advice that I gave to people when I was doing more "coaching" in World of Tanks. 

Why?

- 200 some odd games is not enough time to do all the stupid things you need to do in order to learn how to play properly. It's not you. It's everyone.

- 200 some odd games is not enough time to develop sufficient captain skills so that you are not at an extreme disadvantage against higher skill/tier players. 

But you ARE doing just fine for 200 battles. If I see you online I'll fire you a division request. 

Battleship_MaineMk1 #12 Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:22 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

View Posth_balck, on 16 February 2017 - 10:14 AM, said:

Your over all damage numbers per ship are slightly to generally below the average.  On a related note, your hit ratio's descent with just three of your most played ships, the rest are below average.  

Aiming is easy to learn, hard to master.   Get better at this and your damage per game should go up.  Work on getting hit rates of 30% or higher with BB's, around 35% or higher with cruisers and around 40% or higher with DD's.  This should improve your overall performance substantially.  Download the training room and add some bots of the tiers you'll likely face in your ship(s) and practice your aim on them.  

Best of luck.

:izmena:

Training room went away with the last patch. I should probably reinstall it. Yeah, I know how to aim, but I need to know how to lead. Cleveland is really good because 4 3 gun turrets are nice to use to get those hits. I think ill set up a practice room and start shooting bots that are moving on Ocean.

View PostDingBat, on 16 February 2017 - 10:15 AM, said:

Honestly, OP, I would suggest you not be in quite so much of a rush to get to higher tiers. This was ALWAYS the #1 piece of advice that I gave to people when I was doing more "coaching" in World of Tanks. 

Why?

- 200 some odd games is not enough time to do all the stupid things you need to do in order to learn how to play properly. It's not you. It's everyone.

- 200 some odd games is not enough time to develop sufficient captain skills so that you are not at an extreme disadvantage against higher skill/tier players. 

But you ARE doing just fine for 200 battles. If I see you online I'll fire you a division request. 

If you would be able to help me ingame I would love it :)

Statically speaking...

NCC81701 #13 Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:34 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

Your average damage is low and this has a knock-on effect on your kills per game, xp per game. Your main battery hit ratio is on the low side, but the gap in your average damage and kills per game is much bigger. Your survivability is low, this tells me that you are likely getting knocked out relatively early in the game. I think the key thing you should be looking at is how you can survive longer while still contribute to the team. The line between too much and too little aggression in WoWS is very fine, but finding where it lays is a key to success in WoWS. 

Member of: [RUST]

Madwolf05 #14 Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:58 PM

Commander

• Alpha Tester
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

View PostFog_Cruiser_Maine, on 16 February 2017 - 11:32 AM, said:

So since the last time I posted, I have asked how my gameplay seems to be progressing. I have worked hard to implement strategies suggested by many, and have run a battle or two with some good players who passed onto me some really good advice.

https://worldofwarsh...estShip=phoenix

https://na.warships....g_Cruiser_Maine

So over all my stats have improved, which I only care about to the degree of "If they go up, I am developing a skill correctly, if they go down I am not", weather or not I have a 20% WR or 80% WR is not important to me.

I also just baught Cleveland, and I feel at home with her! After playing Konigsberg and Kirov, the feel of Cleveland is great. After 4 Co-Op victories and one Random battle victory, I mounted some silver upgrades so my ship would have a good damage resistance and better dispersion + secondary battery range (which is godly on cleveland when you saddle up Defensive fire and a fighter plane. NOTHING FLYING LIVES XD)

So on my path to 1,000 battles, I have a few questions for my betterment.

1. Where based on performance can I improve? (I can't upload replays right now sadly, but my stats say enough)

2. What can I do to make Cleveland a stronger ship? So far she has Aiming modification and Fire/flood resistance. slot 1 and 4 on her are open, and she is stock.

Edit: Today is my 18th Birthday and I got a girlfriend yesterday, so between real life and in-game I am doing FANTASTIC! :D

Aren't you in FOG TS all the time? I'm pretty busy during the week, but I'm generally on a lot during the weekend, and I'd be happy to teach you somethings. Here's my evaluation using Warships.stats for your last 3 days:

General Tips:

• Overall your games were few and scattered between several ships. I recommend going into the game everyday with the idea that you'll use 1 ship consistently to get your first 2 crates. This will help you develop a better feel for each ship and improve your results.
  • Whenever possible division up and be on TS or Discord. That way you can communicate with your division mates and understand why they're doing what they're doing, and you will be able to better understand how to best support them.
  • Master the Right Click + look around method in between reloads. Figure out, without the use of Priority Target, which targets are aiming in your direction. PT is mostly useful when you're spotted, but cannot see the enemy. Outside of that, you should be able to tell whose looking your way just based on where their guns are pointed between your own shots.
  • If you're concealed, you should know what the threat to you is if you fire on your current target. If a BB's guns are pointed in your Cruiser's direction it may be best to hold your fire until he fires a shot at another friendly. This way you can get in shots on him that he will not be able to return in kind for 30 seconds. If he points his gun at you, make sure you give him a thin target. He may be able to penetrate you and citadel your ship from the front, but if you give him a side shot it's much easier for him.
  • Between shots check your minimap in the bottom right. Note the locations of enemy ships, or their last known location, and try to understand what they're trying to do and where they're trying to go. They could be running for cover, or towards other team mates. Also, if a enemy team mate is approaching from your exposed broadside, it can quickly turn the 1 vs 1 you're winning into a 2 vs 1 where you get sunk very quickly. If you have high HP though, and can angle off both then you might be okay. Also keep in mind what your escape route is if you have to take it.
  • Play the 'if I was a DD game' in your head. If you were a DD, where would you go in battle? How would you use nearby land to surprise Cruisers? You can often avoid torpedoes and even get guns on target very quickly by anticipating where a DD will be.
  • Prioritize targets. A broadside target is ALWAYS a big priority, just as an almost dead target is. Forget kill steeling, an alive enemy ship is a dangerous enemy ship. Unless you're absolutely positive the next hit, which can't be yours, is going to take out the target, don't fire. Closer ships are generally the highest priority, but this changes with distance and points mentioned earlier. If a ship is showing a broadside or is almost dead, and you stand a reasonably good chance to shoot at them without putting yourself or your team mates in too much danger from the closer ship, take the shot at the broadside or almost dead ship.
  • Understand your shell types, especially on USN ships, as your AP is really good, and your HE is good too. AP should be your weapon of choice against all opposing Cruisers, and it can, in certain situations be used quite well against BBs. HE should be used against DDs whenever you can, and is good for lighting BBs on fire.
  • Know how to light BBs on fire. The middle 2 sections can be lit on fire via the superstructure. In the rear and front can be lit on fire by hitting the armor as long as GunCaliber(mm)/6 = greater than the armor value of the ship in the front or rear. (Cleveland = 155mm/6 = 25.83). So you can aim for lighter armored sections of the hull at the front and rear of ships to set them on fire instead of trying to hit the deck.
  • Concealment is your friend. Learn what it is for your ship, and always take the Concealment Expert captain skill. Anytime the heat of battle gets too hot, remember you can use this range to 'ninja vanish' away from site after 20 seconds of not firing your main guns or secondary/aa guns as long as you're outside of your concealment number vs enemy ships and aircraft. Sometimes when you're low on HP you can stay concealed and pick your spots, turning into more of an assassin behind healthier ships.
  • Angling in a cruiser is just as important as i a Battleship when fighting other cruisers, and even DDs. Cruisers and DDs can both penetrate your citadel armor from broadside, but for the most part they cannot get through your angled bow armor. You can do much more damage with 6 forwards guns hitting a broadside Cruiser or DD, than he can do to you with his 9-10 guns responding back your direction hitting your angled armor.
  • When faced with 2 enemies, it is best to angle off the ones equal or larger than you, and give your broadside to the weaker ships if you HAVE too. A good player can mitigate enough damage to sink his broadside enemy and have plenty of HP left to give the other player a run for his money.
  • Hydro spots Torpedoes, and other ships. You can use it to safely charge smoke, or avoid torpedoes that you suspect might be coming your way. Vigilance is a big help, but you won't always find it the most useful skill to take, even with a full 19 point captain.
  • Ctrl+LeftClick any ship or aircraft that come into your Secondary or AA range of your ship. This will cause your secondary or AA guns to be more accurate against that target than they would be without clicking. This is also how manual secondaries and AA captains skills work. You'd be surprised just how often they make the difference in a Cruiser knife fight. It increases DPS against enemy planes by %20 I believe, though that has changed once or twice since Alpha and CBT.
  • When facing a CV, always turn towards the torpedo bombers, and very your speed to throw off his drop, you can often turn your rudder half way, then push it over hard as the drop is locked in, and cut throttle. With this method you'll often avoid taking more than 1 CV torpedo unless you're being ganged up on by multiple torpedo squadrons. Dive bombers are more RNG, but you need to give them your broadside.
  • Hold your Defensive Fire until the enemy bombers are firmly inside your Secondary AA range. It's easier for you to bait them into thinking you don't have Defensive Fire, and popping it for maximum effect, than it is for them to bait you into using it too early. 
  • It's always better to expose your broadside than take 3-6 enemy CV torpedoes in a cruiser.
  • When facing enemy DDs, Cruisers, and BBs that have torpedoes, learn to anticipate their attacks. After playing these torpedo based ships you'll understand the look they give you right before they drop torpedoes. In your Cruiser you can make slight course adjustments  away from their initial torpedo drop, and then almost put your nose on them to face the 2nd drop, which will be the biggest challenge for you to dodge. Remember to use throttle to manage the closure rate to these ships. A DD wants to get very close to you and drop his torpedoes on you at point blank range to your broadside where he cannot miss. Knowing this, you can slow your ship to a near crawl and make a 'wider circle' for him to have to close in on you. Your angled armor, on a USN Cruiser, is almost always superior to that of your enemy DD or Cruiser, so the threat of being destroyed before he can drop his torpedoes increases greatly. 
  • Use the 'Alternative Battle Interface' under your Options menu. This will keep health bars up on all ships at all times, as well as give you the shell travel time and distance to your target.
  • Use the Dynamic cross hair and learn how to aim with it. Notser made a great video on how to use it here.

Areas to Improve:

• First of all aiming. Your aim is a little lower than average in all of your ships. This could be because you don't have a good feel for the ship yet, you don't understand the cross-hair system (which is confusing), or you're firing outside of your effective range. Watch Notser's video I posted just above, that will help you greatly. Once you can start hitting ships more consistently, try to get shots under the smoke stacks of broadside targets your AP shells can penetrate. This will get your citadels, and REALLY up the damage.IChaseGaming made a great video on hitting citadels here.
  • Work on your survival. I suspect that you don't completely understand armor angling yet, and that you end up tunnel visioning a lot when it comes to situational awareness. I'm seriously guilty of this myself. Armor angling can be explained better in an ICaseGaming video here. Situational awareness is about knowing where you are in relation to the enemy team and your friendly team. In a Cruiser you need to avoid being the very juicy target you are. So it's generally wise to stick with other ships, and not be the 'lead' ship in a push unless you're certain that the enemy BBs aren't around the corner. I stick within range of my BBs, and try to play close behind my own DDs when no enemy BB is present in my sector.

Those two small areas  of improvement will help you in a massive way. Hope that was helpful. I might be on tonight, but it will be late. Congrats on the girlfriend, just remember that a relationship isn't something that's perfect, this isn't Disney movie. So be prepared to not always be 'in love' or falling all over each other for the entirety of the relationship. Just try to be a good friend, and create 'experiences' together. Going to a fancy dinner might be nice once in a while, but eating Subway at the park, and then walking down the street in your town with all the local home grown business and wondering in and out of places you'd never go in, window shopping, and all that is a much more memorable experience. Think of it this way, if you can spend $60 dollars on a singular 2 hour long experience, or $60 on 8 different 30 minute experiences, what are you more likely to remember? Bad food can ruin a dinner date, but even if 3 of your 8 experiences are lame 1 is fantastic, and 4 are merely enjoyable, you'll have plenty more memories and stories to tell later. In fact, the bad things that happened on a wonderful day are things you can laugh about later.

Check out my Twitch Channel: HERE

CPU: Intel i7 3770K, MB: ASUS Maximus V, RAM: 16GB, GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7900

Battleship_MaineMk1 #15 Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:04 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

View PostNCC81701, on 16 February 2017 - 10:34 AM, said:

Your average damage is low and this has a knock-on effect on your kills per game, xp per game. Your main battery hit ratio is on the low side, but the gap in your average damage and kills per game is much bigger. Your survivability is low, this tells me that you are likely getting knocked out relatively early in the game. I think the key thing you should be looking at is how you can survive longer while still contribute to the team. The line between too much and too little aggression in WoWS is very fine, but finding where it lays is a key to success in WoWS. 

Playing Omaha before I figured her out consisted of a-lot of this. I got my citadel hit like nutz. Now that I got my Cleveland, in my few battles with her, I am able to do more damage and take hits. I also have been kill-stolen alot. Omaha should have had 15 kills on her if it weren't for some jack [edited]coming around and island and launching a full torp salvo that lands on a ship I burnt down 90% and they get the kill before I get a chance to make the kill. However, I will try to hang back more based on your advice. Thank you. :D

Statically speaking...

Battleship_MaineMk1 #16 Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:17 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

Spoiler

In response to your first point:

YES! I have a-lot of issues aiming. I try using the eye cross hairs with the other lines on them going at degree angles, but I have no idea how to aim with that and fully use it. I usually find myself shooting "around" the target praying one of the shells, and I mean ONE of the shells lands. Hopefully I get to pray for two after I get some help. :P

In response to your second point:

My Omaha is the reason my statistics look that way, but I will apply your advice because your comments have been solid.

In response to your third point:

Girls.......

Statically speaking...

Canadatron #17 Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:27 PM

Commander

• Members

View PostDingBat, on 16 February 2017 - 12:15 PM, said:

Why?

Listen to DingBat. So many players get in too big a hurry to jet up the tiers that they miss out on key lessons that come back to haunt their higher tier game play down the road. Low and Slow, just like BBQ. Find a line, stick with it until you find you're comfy with guns, range, and handling and just follow it through. It'll come.
-={FOG}=- Community Member

Madwolf05 #18 Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:42 PM

Commander

• Alpha Tester
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

Yeah, I would say Tier 6 and 7 is where you should really start settling into game mechanics because you finally have some ships you're going to be 'stuck' on for a long time. For the USN it's a bit of a double whammy because you get the Cleveland, which while a great ship, can teach you bad habits, and then you're thrust into the Pensacola where mistakes will get you killed more often than not.

So Maine, my advice to you would be to feel like you have a good grasp of armor angling, your aim before you graduate to the Pensacola, and remember just because you fire quickly doesn't mean you HAVE to fire immediately. Trigger discipline, waiting for the better shot, is something that helps all ships, but it can really aid you when you go from the Cleveland to the Pensacola given that your turrets are slower, your reload is much slower, and you have fewer guns. It is made up for though with how quickly the shells reach the target. 

Check out my Twitch Channel: HERE

CPU: Intel i7 3770K, MB: ASUS Maximus V, RAM: 16GB, GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7900

NCC81701 #19 Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:43 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

View PostFog_Cruiser_Maine, on 16 February 2017 - 10:04 AM, said:

Playing Omaha before I figured her out consisted of a-lot of this. I got my citadel hit like nutz. Now that I got my Cleveland, in my few battles with her, I am able to do more damage and take hits. I also have been kill-stolen alot. Omaha should have had 15 kills on her if it weren't for some jack [edited]coming around and island and launching a full torp salvo that lands on a ship I burnt down 90% and they get the kill before I get a chance to make the kill. However, I will try to hang back more based on your advice. Thank you. :D

You need to realize that kill stealing isn't a thing. A 1 hp ship can deal as much damage and cap as fast as a full hp ship. The sooner a ship on the red team is removed from the game, the better chance your team has at winning. The more damage you deal, the more hits you make, the more likely you are to get those kills. The kill stat isn't there for people to brag about how good they are, it's there to help you evaluate what part of the game you are deficient at. If you improve your aim and refine your positioning on the map to enable more shots on target; if you can do that while improve your surivability, your damage and kill numbers will naturally increase.

Block Quote

Yeah, I would say Tier 6 and 7 is where you should really start settling into game mechanics because you finally have some ships you're going to be 'stuck' on for a long time. For the USN it's a bit of a double whammy because you get the Cleveland, which while a great ship, can teach you bad habits, and then you're thrust into the Pensacola where mistakes will get you killed more often than not.

So Maine, my advice to you would be to feel like you have a good grasp of armor angling, your aim before you graduate to the Pensacola, and remember just because you fire quickly doesn't mean you HAVE to fire immediately. Trigger discipline, waiting for the better shot, is something that helps all ships, but it can really aid you when you go from the Cleveland to the Pensacola given that your turrets are slower, your reload is much slower, and you have fewer guns. It is made up for though with how quickly the shells reach the target.  

@Maine, you should listen to MadCard and work on understanding the angling and armor mechanics as well to improve your surivability. I also recommend equipping "Priority Target" on your captains to assist with learning when you need to start evading to avoiding incoming fire.

Edited by NCC81701, 16 February 2017 - 06:47 PM.

Member of: [RUST]

11thACRColdsteel #20 Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:03 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Beta Testers

Dude, if you got a new girlfriend....then I wouldn't be worrying about your stats in WOWS.....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users