Perth appreciation thread.

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

Hot_tamale25 #41 Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:17 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

still don't understand why you can't use Perth as a RN captain trainer, I feel as though that would broaden Perth's appeal, it's the main reason I didn't buy her.

crzyhawk #42 Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:21 AM

Vice Admiral

• Supertester
  • Beta Testers

I'm hoping they give us a Commonwealth line.

SalvoSanta #43 Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:01 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Yep, spotted = deleted. And having a negative AA rating is so painful. I've had matches where I was cross dropped within 3 minutes and gone. 

It would be nice to get a commonwealth line. Though, having a 19 point captain specifically for the Perth I wouldn't look forward to starting afresh. Not going to screw my stats with a new commander lol.

SalvoSanta #44 Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:02 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

You're right about the stats in the Perth being almost a false positive of sorts. If you look at the people in the top 20 or so, minus myself, they are all unicums in pretty much everything. 

crzyhawk #45 Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:11 AM

Vice Admiral

• Supertester
  • Beta Testers

View PostSalvoSanta, on 16 February 2017 - 01:01 AM, said:

Yep, spotted = deleted. And having a negative AA rating is so painful. I've had matches where I was cross dropped within 3 minutes and gone. 

It would be nice to get a commonwealth line. Though, having a 19 point captain specifically for the Perth I wouldn't look forward to starting afresh. Not going to screw my stats with a new commander lol.

yeah but think of that 19 point captain driving your Canberra though!

SalvoSanta #46 Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:15 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Or a Haida *unf* *bites knuckle*

I'd raise one from scratch with the elite XP I'm saving up from Seagal and my perth captain. Part of my plan!

Won't be playing the Perth for a while. Moving house and only have my MacBook which after 6.0 has some serious graphics gremlins. 

Carl #47 Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:19 AM

Lieutenant

• Beta Testers

Block Quote

Part of it is IFHE.  I think the other part is people have learned how to deal with RN AP.  If you angle them, the damage dries up.

I really get seriously peeved of by people claiming this because if you know how to aim it is 90% bull. The problem is when people see a ship angling in vs them in a RN CL they keep aiming like they're in a HE thrower. And just like them a good percentage of their rounds shatter on their forward turrets. For HE this is no biggie, if it's the forward turret it can even start a fire forwards. For RN AP this is disastrous. You have to super elevate a bit, or go for the decking fore/aft of the fore/aft turrets respectively.

If they get close enough the side of the bow/stern are pennabble even angled if you hit the right point, (the bow curve creates a lot of sub 22.5 area's on most ships).

I'm not saying it's not more difficult and you won't see some DPS drop off compared to a broadside target. But no ship i've encountered is immune to RN AP when angled if you aim it right. What i will say however is it's somewhat harder.

crzyhawk #48 Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:53 PM

Vice Admiral

• Supertester
  • Beta Testers

It's not 90% bull.  I'm a decent Fiji player, averaging 54k a game with a 72% WR in the ship.  I watch my damage dry up all the time, and have to find new targets.  More importantly, when I angle them, I watch my own health cease to drop as quickly.

Edited by crzyhawk, 16 February 2017 - 12:54 PM.

Carl #49 Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:39 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Testers

Then explain why i'm having no problems getting damage? If you you can't damage angled targets the problem is behind the keyboard. Like i said you'll see some loss of damage and that does make switching better if there's a better target available. But RN AP is entirely capable of handling angled targets.

Edited by Carl, 16 February 2017 - 01:40 PM.

crzyhawk #50 Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:20 PM

Vice Admiral

• Supertester
  • Beta Testers

Your stats show zero games in a Fiji.  At 54k damage/game, does it appear I have having trouble doing damage?  No, I get plenty of damage, but angling dries it up considerably.  I'll drop from 5k salvos to 1k salvos.  That's a significant loss in damage...that Belfast doesn't worry about.

crzyhawk #51 Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:13 PM

Vice Admiral

• Supertester
  • Beta Testers

More Perth action for you Santa.  Colorado derped into my single-shot torpedoes while I was capping.

SalvoSanta #52 Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:45 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostCarl, on 16 February 2017 - 11:39 PM, said:

But RN AP is entirely capable of handling angled targets.

That's only half the story. The other half is, in the time it takes you to do enough damage to an angled ship, they have deleted you three times over. 

How effective do you think a minotaur is against a bow-on Izumo or Yamato? It might take them an hour. By then you've been triple-cited. 

crzyhawk #53 Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:57 PM

Vice Admiral

• Supertester
  • Beta Testers

Shanked a Fiji sitting in his smoke cloud.  Nom nom nom tastes like vegemite.

HazeGrayUnderway #54 Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:55 AM

Rear Admiral

• Members

View Postcrzyhawk, on 15 February 2017 - 07:08 PM, said:

Part of it is IFHE.  I think the other part is people have learned how to deal with RN AP.  If you angle them, the damage dries up.  While the RN DOES have superior bounce angles, it's not really enough.  They can pull huge damage on people who are broadside, but Belfast AP is actually fairly effective in the same scenario.  That leaves torps and heal as the big things Fiji has going for it.  The heal's ok, but it doesn't heal citadel damage, so if you get popped by a BB from the beginning for most of your health, that's where you're stuck.  Torps I always feel are very situational.  If you rely on them too much, you tend to get wrecked.

Highlighted for emphasis.  This is most exemplified at high tier with Minotaur.  Here's a scenario:

Minotaur in smoke being charged by a Des Moines or Moskva.

Minotaur's smoke pretty much tells, "Yes, an RN CL is right here."  So the DM or Moskva go bow on or sharply angle as they close range to pop radar.  Minotaur machineguns them with her fast firing RN CL AP.  But since they are bow on or sharply angled, there's a lot of bounces.  A LOT.  Minotaur is still whittling down HP but not fast enough as DM / Moskva are closing range.  They honestly don't have to go too close to pop radar and Minotaur may not do enough damage before they get in range.  This leaves torpedoes and if they don't hit and sink them, then Minotaur is screwed.  DM / Moskva get in radar range, pop radar, then DM / Moskva and any friends in the area then get to citadel the ever-living-sh*t out of Minotaur.  It doesn't take long for DM / Moskva AP to wreck any RN CL at any angle.  Unless the RN CL's torps do magic, the AP isn't doing anything against a bow on, sharp angled threat, at least not enough in short time.

I remember when Belfast was coming out, people derided her for not having the good RN CL AP.  I didn't care.  Belfast retained HE+AP flexibility.  And IMO, if the opportunity presents itself, Belfast's AP is more than enough in doing good work,  But due to having HE capability, she wasn't going to be so easily negated by something as simple as "Charging Bow On."  Belfast would simply HE you.  And this was all before IFHS became a reality.  This shell flexibility also naturally extends to Perth.  But the cool thing with Perth is she still has torps!

crzyhawk #55 Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:39 PM

Vice Admiral

• Supertester
  • Beta Testers

yep, exactly.  I still farm good damage, don't get me wrong.  That's mostly because I smoke up where I can get multiple targets.  If one angles me, I switch to one I have better shots on.  In my Belfast, I just ripped a K-berg apart with AP.  I angled him and used my bow guns, he broadsided me and paid for it.  With just the bow turrets, I was able to put him down in 3 salvos.  Is Belfast AP as good as regular RN CL AP?  Nope.  It's adequate, and as Haze points out, it maintains HE flexibility.

Perth is also harder to pick off in smoke, as she keeps moving, although slowly.  I'm looking forward to getting Demo Expert on Perth, I only have a 12 point captain atm and went SI instead at my 3rd rank skill.

The reason why I say Perth is a bad ship is simply because more average players can't handle her.  It takes pretty decent players to unlock her potential.

Roadrider7021 #56 Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:50 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Just my 2 cents, but I love the Perth. I've taken quite a break from her to concentrate on tier 10 and some ranked lately, but I will come back to her very soon. Truly a unique play style in a worthy ship. Once you have synced to her tactics, she is fun and effective.

Capt_of_Satisfaction #57 Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:27 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

I'm curious as to where to find the Perth.  I've never seen it in the premium shop?  I thought it was still beta.

SalvoSanta #58 Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:53 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

She first came on sale around the end of november/start of December 2016. 

Very little hype and many who bought her were turned off by how hard it is to succeed based on her poor survivability and crippling MM arrangements. 

bigalow87 #59 Posted 18 February 2017 - 07:13 AM

Petty Officer

• Members

Have had my damage drop lately, as I am not seeing alot of ships to launch torps at. Still racking up wins though. Pulled ahead of my Ishizuchi at 60%, & just behind my Graf Spee at 62%, Konig albert at 63%, & somehow my Mikasa is leading all my ships at 64%...

SalvoSanta #60 Posted 18 February 2017 - 08:45 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Nice! I'm at 58% but my WTR is always on the rise. Feels good man. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users