Scharnhorst

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Poll: Scharnhorst (125 members have cast votes)

Do you think they should make the guns bigger?

1. Yes (22 votes [17.60%])

Percentage of vote: 17.60%

2. No (103 votes [82.40%])

Percentage of vote: 82.40%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

derbuckeye #21 Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:30 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

You're kidding, right? Sharnhorst is awesome even when helmed by mediocre scrublord skippers.  Play her as a very large cruiser with armor.  Sharn is not a battlecruiser, nor a battleship.  Watch Yuro's YouTube video about how to play her.  Her guns are fine for your primary targets (cruisers and destroyers). Her secondaries can burn BB's to the waterline.  I have had Awesome matches in this ship.  She prints credits like a machine.

Give me a fast ship for I intend to go in harm's way!!  :honoring:

Murotsu #22 Posted 10 February 2017 - 06:43 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

There was an historical proposal to rearm this class with 38 cm (15") guns like the Bismarck had.  This class would have had just 6.  So, if it were allowed as an upgrade no problem here, but you'd have just 6 main armament guns to work with.

Camo68 #23 Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:12 AM

Lieutenant

• Members

Spend some time studying how it can be used to devestating effect on youtube. Adopt those tactics and you wont care what guns it has!

My Current Ships

aethervox #24 Posted 11 February 2017 - 03:22 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Alpha Tester

View Postawiggin, on 06 February 2017 - 06:49 PM, said:

Well documented as to why. Don't like the 283's don't buy it and earn the Gneis for free.

My Gneisnau licks it's chops when it sees Scharnhorsts on the other team.

As awiggin says, don't be stupid and buy one when you can earn a better ship.

If only you Sea Scum would do the grind instead of the big baby 'I want it now' buying then whining - it needs 'bigger gunzies'.

HMS_Lollipop #25 Posted 14 February 2017 - 06:02 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

The Scharnhorst had 11 inches guns, so I want WoWS to keep the proper guns on the ship. But they have to un-nerf either the penetration or dispersion. The 11 inch guns on the Graf Spee are brilliant! I assumed the same german 11 inches guns, would preform the same on the Scharnhorst....wrong. The Scharnhorst is the most expensive premium ship,I bought and the first I regret buying.  

Update:  Feb 16th.  The Scharnhorst is starting to grow on me.  I'm now getting pleasing results from her in ranked battles. She works best, as a close quarter bar fighter, 10 kilos or less. Yes, she will get battered and burned a bit, but you will come out on top....most of the time. Don't bother with long distance arty duals,  thats a sure one way ticket to davy jones locker

Update:  March 2nd. Kraken plus 1 in Ranked battle......I'm officially completely infatuated with my beautiful german femme-fatale, Lady Scharna. There will never be another who can replace her, someone tell my wife, I moved to Germany to start a new life.  

Edited by HMS_Lollipop, 02 March 2017 - 06:30 PM.

CLUCH_CARGO #26 Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:54 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostTheStarSlayer, on 06 February 2017 - 09:29 PM, said:

Here you go:

Its sitting at the top of the Tier VII BB Stats in nearly every metric, it doesn't need any changes.

​I love this Video Not only Funny it is an accurate portrait. I love my Scharny, is is a great looking

Performance Bundled Ship.

Edited by CLUCH_CARGO, 03 April 2017 - 11:21 PM.

RogueStuka #27 Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:29 AM

Seaman

• Members

I love my Scharnhorst.  It's practically perfect in every way. 

RC1011 #28 Posted 02 April 2017 - 10:47 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

Agreed, Scharnhorst is just soooo much fun. 

jagdoc #29 Posted 05 April 2017 - 01:05 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

The Scharnhorst had 283mm (11 in) guns.  Their advantage was a fast 17 sec reload time.  This should offset the 16 in guns of the allies. km.

The max effective range of the guns were 27.4 km at a 30.2 degree angle at that range the rounds would penetrate 8 in (205 mm) of side armor and 3 in (76 mm) of deck armor.

The Gneisenau had the same guns and characteristics.

Edited by jagdoc, 05 April 2017 - 01:17 PM.

Captain_Benevolent_Fair #30 Posted 05 April 2017 - 02:59 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

Scharnhorst is a truly amazing ship as it is. I remember getting my first kraken on her...

Then another one...

And another one...

I will say this ship is not for sitting in the back trying to pick targets at long ranges. Gotta use dat speed, armor, secondaries, torpedoes and rapid firing guns to become the ultimate brawler.

The Equestrian Royal Navy is the best navy!

karmajay #31 Posted 05 April 2017 - 04:42 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostHMS_Lollipop, on 14 February 2017 - 01:02 PM, said:

The Scharnhorst had 11 inches guns, so I want WoWS to keep the proper guns on the ship. But they have to un-nerf either the penetration or dispersion. The 11 inch guns on the Graf Spee are brilliant! I assumed the same german 11 inches guns, would preform the same on the Scharnhorst....wrong. The Scharnhorst is the most expensive premium ship,I bought and the first I regret buying.  

Update:  Feb 16th.  The Scharnhorst is starting to grow on me.  I'm now getting pleasing results from her in ranked battles. She works best, as a close quarter bar fighter, 10 kilos or less. Yes, she will get battered and burned a bit, but you will come out on top....most of the time. Don't bother with long distance arty duals,  thats a sure one way ticket to davy jones locker

Update:  March 2nd. Kraken plus 1 in Ranked battle......I'm officially completely infatuated with my beautiful german femme-fatale, Lady Scharna. There will never be another who can replace her, someone tell my wife, I moved to Germany to start a new life.  

This may be the best post I've ever read on these forums.

Xaver1106_destroyer #32 Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:11 AM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

View PostQuickB39, on 07 February 2017 - 02:44 AM, said:

The Scharnhorst needs bigger guns! It's a waist of $45 to buy the teir 7 premium German battleship the Scharnhorst when it only has 283mm guns. PLEASE make the main battery guns 306mm so it's worth the money.

I get where you are coming from however i would have to disagree. I have to disagree simply because of the Gneisenau and real history. In real life Scharnhorst and Gneisenau had 283mm main guns all in triple turrets, they were both planned to be refitted to the more powerful 380mm. It would simply not from a game standpoint to have an exactly identical ship that you pay for also both were battle cruisers. In the game Gnei is in her planned refit state unlike Scharnhorst the only change that she has from her original hull is the Atlantic bow which provided dryer decks.

_Borscht_ #33 Posted 14 April 2017 - 02:23 PM

Seaman

• Members

Scharnhorst is one of the if not the best BB on T7. It's much and much more powerful than Gneisenau and is capable of much and much more. You are literally the bane of every single DD and CL/CA of the enemy team. BB? Not problem, cause those big slowpokes usually like doing Pirates of the Caribbean broadside battles at <7km and you should know by now what happens in those situations.

wowsaddict1979 #34 Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:17 AM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

yes in a way.. I say offer 2 loadout combos. one the way it is and one with bigger guns but balanced. Then everyone can have a Scharnhorst. I personally like it the way it is

desmo_2 #35 Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:52 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View Postaethervox, on 10 February 2017 - 09:22 PM, said:

My Gneisnau licks it's chops when it sees Scharnhorsts on the other team.

As awiggin says, don't be stupid and buy one when you can earn a better ship.

If only you Sea Scum would do the grind instead of the big baby 'I want it now' buying then whining - it needs 'bigger gunzies'.

*sigh* Typical aethervox post.  Really, why do you feel the need to trash on the game and on others so much?  If you don't want to buy premiums, DON'T!  And then just...hush.

I have both, so I have done the grind.  I also thoroughly enjoy Gneisenau (proper spelling), and she isn't even fully upgraded yet.  I'm probably calling her a keeper.  But, Scharnhorst is different.  Faster, but less powerful.  Just...different.  And I love her, too.  I currently prefer Scharnhorst, but since my Gneisenau isn't fully upgraded yet, I can't say for sure.  What I CAN say for sure is even when I have Gneisenau fully upgraded, I will never regret Scharnhorst.  She is just a blast to play in so many ways.

CLUCH_CARGO #36 Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:36 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View Postdesmo_2, on 19 April 2017 - 06:52 PM, said:

*sigh* Typical aethervox post.  Really, why do you feel the need to trash on the game and on others so much?  If you don't want to buy premiums, DON'T!  And then just...hush.

I have both, so I have done the grind.  I also thoroughly enjoy Gneisenau (proper spelling), and she isn't even fully upgraded yet.  I'm probably calling her a keeper.  But, Scharnhorst is different.  Faster, but less powerful.  Just...different.  And I love her, too.  I currently prefer Scharnhorst, but since my Gneisenau isn't fully upgraded yet, I can't say for sure.  What I CAN say for sure is even when I have Gneisenau fully upgraded, I will never regret Scharnhorst.  She is just a blast to play in so many ways.

Posted Image

Umikami #37 Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:07 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers

I have heard many players say they LIKE the 283's because of the more rapid reload, and that they still do good damage

Marine_Diesel #38 Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:44 AM

• Members

Nope. I don't think a caliber change is necessary or beneficial in any way(at all). I did call for a very slight AP buff in the past. Buffing the 'Krupp' value slightly. (Less prone to shatter/non pens)

That said I would really like to see the D-class cruiser. That has an armored belt of 220mm. Citadel armor was 50mm. Upper deck armor 35mm, with main deck armor of 70/80/70 in ship's sections. Was initially armed with 2 triple turrets mounting the 28 cm SK C/28 (Same guns as Graf Spee). The Kriegsmarine decided to increase displacement and mount a third triple turret. So Main armament was: 3 x 28cm SK C/28 guns. Secondary armament/AA was: 8 × 15 cm (5.9 in)/55 SK C/28 guns (4 × 2) and 8 × 10.5 cm (4.1 in)/65 SK C/33 AA guns (4 × 2)
The ship's keel was laid down on 14 February, 1934. Construction stopped on July 5th. The construction contracts were canceled and reallocated for the two Scharnhorst-class battleships.

I think adding more German ships will make the German tree more versatile and better fit players preferences. (Ie still waiting for an armored cruiser/panzerschiff line)

Edited by Marine_Diesel, 30 April 2017 - 08:48 AM.

Coyote720 #39 Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:56 PM

• Members

WG's decision to put the bigger guns on the Gneisenau and leave the 11" on the Scharnhorst was brilliant. It makes the sister ships quite different. If you want bigger guns, simply earn the Gneisenau--problem solved.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users