Neptune, epitome of glass cannon

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Haliberd #1 Posted 01 February 2017 - 04:22 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

You get those games when you die by a BB or Cruiser at the beginning of the game because they citadeled you from full HP...

Spoiler

This was not one of those games.

Going down this line was definitely not regrettable. 

Umm... Hello?

MrEndeavour #2 Posted 01 February 2017 - 04:52 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Yeah the Edinburgh isn't too much of an upgrade from the Fiji, but it looks like this things DPM is pretty incredible :B

[-K-]

Ranked Season 6: Rank 1: 116 battles, 65% win rate

"Sometimes the smartest thing you can do is to play dumb"

mofton #3 Posted 01 February 2017 - 05:05 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

I'm not sure 'cannon' is the right word. You need them to be in the right range and be very side-on.

It's been more like a glass meatgrinder in my experience so far. Yes, it does damage but lots of the BB's seem to have 100k HP, saturation sucks and you really need them to masochistically hang out in the danger zone. They need to stick their hand in and then (strangely) enjoy it, but not so much that they come and say 'hello'. 

Oh and then whoops there's a radar Missouri, never mind your game is over now.  

light.png

Iowanna be a rockstar - Salmon - Ctrl-Click-Schiffe - Le Dunkerque  - Grand Old Lady - ~5 Mil in IJN Scrap

Gearings of Poor - Trashcan - Biscuit-tweaker - Tachi-Ali-Baba - Not-quite-Minekaze - Zit-23 - Shinbone - Your-a-gnome

Worst T9 Ever - AbSchorring - Minotaur

poeticmotion #4 Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:01 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

God, I loved Neptune. I love every RN cruiser from Leander up. DPS for daysssssssssssssss

Tier 10: Khabarovsk, Kurfurst, Minotaur, Tier 9: Fletcher, Friedrich, Udaloi,, Z-46 Tier 8: North Carolina, Bismarck, Z-23, Edinburgh ARP Takao, Akizuki, Kiev, Ognevoi Tier 7: all ARP Myokos, Gneisenau, Leningrad, ShiratsuyuFiji, Tier 6: Budyonny, FarragutShinonome, Fuso, Leander, Bayern, Graf Spee  Tier 5: Kamikaze-R, all ARP Kongos Tier 4: Clemson, IshizuchiV170, Kaiser Tier 2: Tachibana, Mikasa

My guides: Poetic's Guide To Getting Gud Or At Least Less Bad: Tips From A Former Potato     Poetic's post-0.6.0 guide to DD skills and capt builds

The URL Guy is OP, but please don't nerf him. 

MrDeaf #5 Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:08 AM

Vice Admiral

• Members

Wait until you get the Minotaur

It doesn't understand the meaning of angling and will consistently ding for 1k dmg from every turret.

What is the Torpedo Reload Booster and does it have a historical basis? http://forum.worldof...could-poses-it/

Sign me up for KTKM

Haliberd #6 Posted 01 February 2017 - 06:49 PM

• Beta Testers

View Postmofton, on 31 January 2017 - 11:05 PM, said:

I'm not sure 'cannon' is the right word. You need them to be in the right range and be very side-on.

It's been more like a glass meatgrinder in my experience so far. Yes, it does damage but lots of the BB's seem to have 100k HP, saturation sucks and you really need them to masochistically hang out in the danger zone. They need to stick their hand in and then (strangely) enjoy it, but not so much that they come and say 'hello'. 

Oh and then whoops there's a radar Missouri, never mind your game is over now.  

I think the term autocannon suits the Nep Nep and Minnow. Effective when the enemy gives you the biggest flatest target but loses a large amount of its damage potential when angled or manuevering at range.

They are heavily team reliant and can't be the center of attention in a fight. Plus they need a large amount of time to 100% to 0 a battleship or even a cruiser if they manuever. But that's why I like the british CLs, they are great when they perform and they require a high skill cap toutilize effectively, especially in situations that are unfavourable to them. Radar is definitely scary and battleships potentially deleting you with a well aimed shot or RNG is frustrating at times, but it's also oddly thrilling. That along with the super high damage numbers every 5 seconds on foolish bbs and cruisers along with the rubberband hp heal makes them super enjoyable.

That and well the fact I am too a little masochistic... I blame the Cent 7/1 in wot.

Umm... Hello?

Seamus_44 #7 Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:23 PM

• Members

Just got the Minotaur yesterday, and it's like a big Gearing with radar and serious AA. Can't wait to get better w/ her guns and a 19 point Capt. 

Panzer1113 #8 Posted 06 February 2017 - 05:59 PM

• Members

Just got, working through base hull, but not happy with floaty shells.  Like I am in a British version of  the Atlanta, shells take forever to get to target, have to lead DDs so far... can rain shells, but again have to lead and spread like I am shooting off American 127mm.

BattlecruiserOperational #9 Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:14 PM

Ensign

• Beta Testers

this ship looked so good on paper, but now that I've had it for a bit, I can quite honestly say that I despise this ship. It is way too reliant on its team, which leads to maddening game sessions. A LOT of smoke counters at its tier as well. Just all in all not a fun experience. Probably not gonna sell it right now, but def. put it on the back burner and focus on something else. The Fiji has been the best ship tier for tier so far, and it where I would recommend the average player stops.

brandy00 #10 Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:08 AM

Petty Officer

• Members

I love the ship

I just got the mino also which is a blast

Taichunger #11 Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:47 AM

Commander

• Members

I just got it and I can't decide. Do I run the mod for more range, or for faster reload? 

----------

Still needed: (1) a NO CV button for the MM (2) End split spawn maps 

timmmeh #12 Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:39 AM

Seaman

• Members

Neptune stronk boat

Wyatt_DERP85 #13 Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:49 PM

• Members

This ship is so big and so soft... But until you are destroyed, you can make the enemy's life hell. This is the only ship I've destroyed in one salvo in a cruiser tho. That damn citadel is gigantic!

HazeGrayUnderway #14 Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:25 PM

Rear Admiral

• Members

View PostTaichunger, on 19 March 2017 - 02:47 AM, said:

I just got it and I can't decide. Do I run the mod for more range, or for faster reload? 

Anything but the range upgrade on Neptune.  The reason are the lower velocity shells compared to what you had before with Fiji and Edinburgh.

When I first got Neptune, I saw the ROF of 5 seconds compared to the 7.5 of previous RN CLs.

"Man!  I can slot the range upgrade and be even more effective at range!!!"

Neptune firing at the periphery of that upgraded range feels as bad as AFT+Atlanta firing at distant targets.  I felt like I was waiting half a minute for my shells to land at long range.  After that one match I just settled into an AA Build.  But again, take anything but that range upgrade.

Fiji and Edinburgh are better plinkers than Neptune, but once the range gets close, Neptune ravages targets.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway, 20 March 2017 - 08:27 PM.

War_Dawn #15 Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:02 PM

Seaman

• Members

View PostMrEndeavour, on 01 February 2017 - 04:52 AM, said:

Yeah the Edinburgh isn't too much of an upgrade from the Fiji, but it looks like this things DPM is pretty incredible :B

​For me, going from Fiji to Edi was a downgrade IMO. Ship moves/turns slower, MM sucks on the Edi, and its just not as much fun as the Fiji. I still enjoy my Edi, but not as much as the Fiji. Majority of my Edi games either have 2-3 Radar Ships on the enemy side or dual CVs that erase me about 70% of the time. Majority of my Fiji games have very very few Radar ships, so its more enjoyable.

I hope the Neptune is much better than the Edi. I hear on other posts that they equip the Edi with Radar instead of smoke, so ill try that, but I wonder how the Neptune does without smoke, just using radar. I'm about 100k xp away from Neptune, with a 15 point Cap.

I did hear that the AA on the Neptune is amazing.

HazeGrayUnderway #16 Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:13 PM

Rear Admiral

• Members

View PostWar_Dawn, on 24 March 2017 - 10:02 AM, said:

​For me, going from Fiji to Edi was a downgrade IMO. Ship moves/turns slower, MM sucks on the Edi, and its just not as much fun as the Fiji. I still enjoy my Edi, but not as much as the Fiji. Majority of my Edi games either have 2-3 Radar Ships on the enemy side or dual CVs that erase me about 70% of the time. Majority of my Fiji games have very very few Radar ships, so its more enjoyable.

I hope the Neptune is much better than the Edi. I hear on other posts that they equip the Edi with Radar instead of smoke, so ill try that, but I wonder how the Neptune does without smoke, just using radar. I'm about 100k xp away from Neptune, with a 15 point Cap.

I did hear that the AA on the Neptune is amazing.

Edinburgh as a Tier VIII can slot CSM1 and be quite stealthy.  But that was the great thing with her, that and her repairs.  But everything else she felt like a copy & pasted Fiji stuffed into Tier VIII.

If I had to keep only one, Fiji or Edinburgh, it'd be hands down Fiji.  She's in a far more favorable MM window while Edinburgh faces the toughest competition but never escaping the fact she's really a Tier VII ship transferred to VIII.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users