Rusty's 1:350 scale shipyard

Plastic Models Hand Painted 1:350

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

RustyFMJ #1 Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:44 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Hi everyone,

my name is Martin, i'm 35, drive a taxi for a living and am a pretty big fan of warships in general (not in such a way that i study the details about all of them as well).
In Wows i hang around in coop 95% of the time, not so much because i would "suck" in PvP but more due to the fact i'm way "too" competitive in my mindset and have forced myself to play a chill mode so i don't explode when i can't achieve my own goals.

When i was a little kid (i think around the age of 8 or 9) i built my first scale model of a Supermarine Spitfire (my dad did the camo painting but i glued the model) and ever since i was hooked to it. In the upcoming years up to around the age of 16 i made more models than i could store in my bedroom to the agony of my mother who gave up cleaning up the place and simply said; i think it's time to clean up your own crap :P
Spoiler

For some reason ("cough", buying my forst pc, "cough") i quit making models and never looked back. Until one day my dad phoned me up with the story he was cleaning up the attic and came across an old unfinished C-47 Skytrain (Dakota). He explained to me this was once a (failed) project of my brother who back then did a pretty poor job of trying to assemble and paint the plane and if i could possibly make an attempt to salvage the project. This was 2 years ago, some 20 years after it had been stuffed away in a dark corner. Since i hadn't made anything in roughly 18 years i told em i would give it a try and this was the result....

(​I'm definitely not an expert if it comes to making models, paint everything with a brush and i build everything straight out of the box without aftermarket parts)

Spoiler
Spoiler

So with a new refreshed experience in making a model i remembered i still had one tucked away somewhere since......well....2004. A model i bought in Germany and, like my brother with his plane started on, failed miserably and gave up on it. To not extend the slab of text too much i'll summarize it with some pictures.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

The ship was finished last weekend and i have already started on a new project which i will try to update on a regular basis so ppl who are interested can see the progress i make.

Spoiler

And here's a lil spoiler of what's to come in the future (and i've ordered more ships)

Spoiler

I hope at least some of you have enjoyed it so far despite the big slab of text and spoiler box spam ;)

Cheers

Aduial #2 Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:04 AM

Rear Admiral

• Members

You need more Japanese ships. :)

My terrible stats:

My Favorite ships: Mogami,  Clemson, T8 Fubuki, Mikasa, Gneisenau, Fletcher

Aduial's commander build recommendations (post 0.6.0)               Remove Detonations from Ranked battles                 Rebalancing Aircraft Loadouts          Repair Party for Tier 8 Cruisers?           Strafing:           Suggestion about carrier MM          

RustyFMJ #3 Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:07 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Funny that you mention Japanese ships as i have actually been thinking about getting this one

https://www.modelbou...ser-mogami.html

But first i have to build all the things i have right now and ofcourse find a place to put them :P

Aduial #4 Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:22 AM

Rear Admiral

• Members

You should definitely buy the Mogami. One of the most beautiful ships ever to exist, in my opinion. 

My terrible stats:

My Favorite ships: Mogami,  Clemson, T8 Fubuki, Mikasa, Gneisenau, Fletcher

Aduial's commander build recommendations (post 0.6.0)               Remove Detonations from Ranked battles                 Rebalancing Aircraft Loadouts          Repair Party for Tier 8 Cruisers?           Strafing:           Suggestion about carrier MM          

Unabletony #5 Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:47 PM

Rear Admiral

• Members

Oh, you live in Europe where it's easier to get models...

*jealousy intensifies*

But nice, Tamiya is great for models. American Revell sucks...

Because Hyuuga is cute~

Azuki is my catpanion~

Take that, Nyagato-sempai~!

bassmasta76 #6 Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:53 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Very nice work, well done.  Ive not built a model for over 20 years myself, but had a lot of fun building ships.  

I have fond memories of spending hours at my local hobby shop looking at model kits and talking 'ship' with the staff.  

B

alexf24 #7 Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:04 PM

Captain

• Members

Very nice work. I used to do it with planes, tanks and ships.

Still have the Tamiya 1:350 and several 1:700 waterline ships plus a few 1:72 planes.

Have not built any for over 20 years now

I shoot an arrow in the air, where it lands I do not care, I get my arrows wholesale -- Curly Howard (with a wink to Longfellow)

kerensky914 #8 Posted 31 January 2017 - 02:12 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Supertester

Tamiya's kits have always been great.  I've always really liked the Heller 1:400 kits myself.

"it is a tale, told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." - MacBeth, who was obviously talking about the forums...

"Doctors can always bury their mistakes.  Architects can only advise their client to plant vines." - Frank Lloyd Wright

RustyFMJ #9 Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:22 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

The Tamiya Tirpitz isn't bad per say BUT......ever since they've started producing the molds for it back in 1978 they have forgotten to add the aft anker chain on the deck

RustyFMJ #10 Posted 09 May 2017 - 08:29 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Due to circumstances in real life i have never gotten to actually start building on the type 1936 destroyer but recently Wargaming has kicked off the build-off contest and it caught my interest.

So with fully regained enthusiasm i frantically started working on the destroyer and these are the results;

(ps: this ship has also been 100% brush painted)

Hull put together and dry-fitted the deck and standard to see how it all fits (this must have been the best fit i've ever had on any of my models)

Spoiler

First layer of red paint on the hull and assembled some bits and pieces of the superstructure

Spoiler

First layer of the waterline and some painting done to the superstructure

Spoiler

More superstructure assembly/painting with now also the dark gray added to the mid deck house and 2nd funnel

Spoiler

Started adding strings to the motor-launch cranes to resemble the cables

Spoiler

Painted the life rafts and motor-launches

Spoiler

Some more strings added to the masts and the hull camo pattern before final assembly (behind the hull is the custom display case with a mirror back wall)

Spoiler

My fully finished Diether von Roeder, type 1936 destroyer in it's display case

Posted Image

Edited by RustyFMJ, 09 May 2017 - 08:32 PM.

Bakabaka84 #11 Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:27 AM

Seaman Recruit

• Beta Testers

Heck I wish I was that fast. I'm building something half that size for the contest and I just got to the priming point today.

RustyFMJ #12 Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:40 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostBakabaka84, on 10 May 2017 - 05:27 AM, said:

Heck I wish I was that fast. I'm building something half that size for the contest and I just got to the priming point today.

​Despite it only took me 5 days i have put more than 40 hours in it. I was lucky enough to have a few days off and then the weekend followed.

Last Sunday i started at 8:30am and quit at 9:30pm so spent a full day on the model.

I use acrylic paint and it only needs and hour or so before you can put on the next layer of paint.

RustyFMJ #13 Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:17 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Took another picture of my destroyer with a little bit better lighting

Posted Image

As of tomorrow i'm gonna start on 2 submarines (german type 7 and type 9) and will keep the topic updated

Edited by RustyFMJ, 12 May 2017 - 09:18 PM.

RustyFMJ #14 Posted 14 May 2017 - 07:11 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Work has started on 1 of my 2 submarines

Type VIIc

Spoiler

My first time ever working with PE (Photo Etched) parts and i have to say despite them having more detail it's friggin annoying as they are so fragile and a lot more difficult to glue on to the model.

Spoiler

First bits and pieces have been put in place but it's proving to be a real test of my patience

Spoiler

Edited by RustyFMJ, 14 May 2017 - 07:11 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users