Help NikoPower play a solid Destroyer.

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

RHINO_Mk_II #21 Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:48 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

1) You're using the New Years camo that doesn't provide a detection bonus. Big mistake on ships that rely so heavily on concealment such as DDs. Save them for ships like Moskva and BBs that will be spotted anyways.

2) Not sure what level your captain is, but I would hope you have at least a 10 point IJN captain with CE since this is a premium ship. Also noticeably missing is SE.

3) Why are your torpedoes set to wide spread at the start of the match? Narrow spread is better 99% of the time.

18:00 Smoking as you enter A cap and spot one enemy BB is a mistake. How will you spot enemy ships for your team from inside smoke? It will be much riskier to make any aggressive plays for the next 3 minutes with smoke on cooldown as well. You have guns that are equal to or better than 3/4 of the enemy destroyers.

17:10 You cap A with no resistance, but instead of pushing up through your smoke, you decide to circle back around inside A again. From the minimap, it looks like the enemy team is focusing D, so you want to come in behind them ASAP to assist your team on that side.

16:20 Looks like you decided to switch sides and help your team on D. It will be harder to land torps from the front and your team has no way of pressuring B with you as the only DD abandoning the side.

15:50 Nope, you turned around again. At this point, you could have spent the last 80 seconds moving towards B and already be capping it by now, or torping the ships up north, but you drove in circles while changing your mind.

13:55 6 minutes into the game you launch your first torpedoes. Wide spread is unlikely to hit anything at max torpedo range and will be easiest to dodge. The only circumstance in which wide spread is useful is at point blank range when you only need one hit but want to cover as much area as possible. You are locked onto the Pensacola while firing your first two tubes at the Nagato, so you have to guess the lead here (I suspect it's behind the island at the time you choose to fire, but we'll never know). Then you fire your third tube of 7km torps at the Pensacola 8.6km away and receding. I predict the first two sets will be far behind the Nagato and the third set will time out before coming near the Pensacola. Around this time you could have also chosen to go for the beached Mutsuki with your guns instead. Mutsuki has extremely poor gun armament and you should be able to win that duel easily, removing a destroyer off the map instead of gambling that you'll hit torps on a Nagato who's engaged in battle and likely to make turns.

13:15 The Nagato does turn into one of your torpedoes that you placed way behind him, fortunately.

12:58 You give up stealth to fire 1 salvo of guns at the Nagato. Much better to either stay undetected (my recommendation) or keep firing because you've lost stealth anyways.

12:45 Again you're shooting 7km torps at a receding target 7.8km away. Also you appear not to have noticed the Mutsuki on your minimap approaching from the east.

12:18 The enemy Mutsuki gets within 1.1km of you before you turn to look at him. You should be 100% dead here if he was a competent player. Fortunately for you, he doesn't spread his salvos out when he only needed 1 torp hit to kill. Turning away from his torps worked out, although you should also have used engine boost to increase your speed here as well in order to outrun his torpedo spreads. Generally I prefer to turn in to torpedo spreads, but at this range it's risky as well, you might take one on the bow by turning in.

11:45 You waste a torpedo cooldown on a ship with 473 HP that's burning and that you will kill in 2 seconds with your next gun salvo.

11:27 The Nagato is looking at you, I would either try to weave dodge his salvo and then smoke or smoke immediately and hope he's still reloading while you disappear.

10:45 You took a lot of secondary hits for staying broadside to him while spotted. At least you survived and got the kill here, but you could have had 3k more HP remaining if you either turned sooner or smoked.

9:00 You smoke as soon as you get in the cap again. And then keep moving full speed so you're detected anyways. 

8:50 An enemy DD with 900 HP was spotted 5km from you for 10 seconds. He should be dead from your guns right now. Instead you're sitting in torpedo aiming mode, not entirely sure why. Also, you leave your smoke entirely.

8:10 Not entirely sure what you're trying to hit with these torps. The only possible hits you could land are if the Graf Spee has hydro off and also decides to charge into B against 2 BBs and 2 CAs.

7:20 Well done holding your torps here to avoid hitting the friendly BB, not everyone would have the discipline. I could tell you wanted to fire, but didn't.

6:00 Nothing to say here except that you've been cruising around in scope for several minutes now, which is a bad idea because it limits your FoV and situational awareness, and you're not actually shooting anything. You can scope in for a few seconds to shoot on a moment's notice. Don't sit in scope all game.

The game turned out okay for you, but there are many things you can improve on. You wasted two smoke charges in caps that were completely unnecessary. You wasted many torpedoes at the Pensacola who was out of range or about to die anyways. You let the Mutsuki sneak up on you and only his incompetence saved you. You spent a fair amount of time sailing in circles indecisively. You missed a kill on the Fujin when he was 5km away and would have died to one salvo.

Edited by RHINO_Mk_II, 30 January 2017 - 07:51 PM.

Ranked Season 43rd place (70.23% wins) of 3550 players | Ranked Season 53rd place (72.73% wins) of 3484 players | Ranked Season 61st place (79.03% wins) of 4323 players

Supremacy League Season 21st place | Supremacy League Season 3 Gold Division1st place

GhostSwordsman #22 Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:48 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View PostSireneRacker, on 30 January 2017 - 03:41 PM, said:

Let's get to work:

- At the beginning you charged right into the A-cap, but your team was at least 6km behind you. In the worst case one of the Leanders could've appeared around the corner and it would've been over for you.

Ah, yes, thank you for bringing this up as I have something I'd like to add.

Niko, when you moved into the A cap, you sort of 'hugged' the large island in the center of the map. I personally would have gone to the outer edge in open water. Honestly, open water isn't the best place for an IJN DD to be, but in the case of A cap on Two Brothers, I think it's better because you'll be farther away from any potential threats that move to that peninsula from the north side. You'll be spotted by anything in, or entering, the cap without CE, and going to the opposite side of the cap may have given you an early warning had an enemy actually been there. I've seen plenty of light cruiser teammates(especially Atlanta's) do this and easily nab a destroyer or two that simply don't expect a cruiser to be that close to the cap early in the game.

Edit: The point here being, know the terrain you're fighting around and learn to predict what the enemy team is likely to do, and account for the unorthodox strategies you might encounter.. This was a specific example where going against the norm might have been the better choice had the situation played out differently.(usually, one is correct in staying close to island cover in a DD)

Edited by GhostSwordsman, 30 January 2017 - 09:22 PM.

warships.today stats(direct link)     Wargaming.net WoWs profile overview

~You are an ocean of waves, weaving a dream, Like thoughts become a river stream, Yet may the tide ever change, flowing like time, To the path, -yours to claim~Thou seek the dark with an unsheathed blade, Now a white, ivory throne beckons, So obtain the fate you sow, On this path, be weary, friend and foe~ - "Lost in Thoughts All Alone" English Cover - by Amalee

Soshi_Sone, on 26 April 2017 - 05:36 PM, said:

Literally speaking, one can only run into Lert if one is not alert.
Ultimate BBQQ Recipe: 1 BB(the bigger, the juicier), 2 or more Cruisers and/or Destroyers, HE spam(apply generously), no salt required. Smoking your BBQQ is optional, but it adds lots of extra flavor.  Melt for 3-10 minutes and enjoy! Serve with fish for an even more exotic taste!

Lord_Zath #23 Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:54 PM

Commander

• WoWS Wiki Editor
  • Beta Testers
    Supertester

Niko, would you be OK if I narrated your replay with my own comments and posted it on YouTube?

taut #24 Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:54 PM

Admiral of the Navy

• Members

The first thing that stuck out: Play USN DDs.

The play style is similar to Cruiser play(or more so than running a Kami) and that will help get you acclimated to playing Destroyers, ditto RD DDs(though as to whether they are DDs is arguable imo).

fwiw Play Clemson, like a lot, till you feel like you can 1v1 a DD 9/10 engagments. From there branch out and try other lines:honoring:

NikoPower #25 Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:03 PM

Community Corgi Enthusiast

• Administrator

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone.

• A couple mentioned I was a bit timid in my battle. This is true. It's mostly because I'm still getting my confidence up in Destroyers. This will change over time.
  • Popping smoke was actually a mistake by my fumbling fingers. It wasn't intentional . I was rather annoyed with myself when I pressed it. I tend to hover my fingers over the R and T key in case I need to hit 1-3 or RTY.
  • I realized that I should have pushed up and around. I got a bit of the lookie loo mentality for a bit and it kept me getting dangerously close to being destroyed.
  • That destroyer.... yeah. I should have see it but I was too busy focusing on two other ships. I was lucky. No more, no less.
  • As for spread and narrow, I tend to go back and forth depending on the situation. I'm not always right, clearly. Lol.

Thank you all though. I will get another game in here pretty soon and take your feedback into account. We will see how it turns out.

- Created by Jorge_555

"To be honest in some strange way when I think of Niko I just imagine a Corgi, like my brain knows that Niko is a human but the Corgi image just works." - Devastator5000

Xantek #26 Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:13 PM

Seaman

• Members

You're a dev right? Give yourself:

- 1km detection

- Gearing Smoke

- Shima Torps

- Khabarovsk guns and maneuverability

And you're set!

Herr_Reitz #27 Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:38 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers

View PostNikoPower, on 30 January 2017 - 03:03 PM, said:

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone.

• A couple mentioned I was a bit timid in my battle. This is true. It's mostly because I'm still getting my confidence up in Destroyers. This will change over time.
  • Popping smoke was actually a mistake by my fumbling fingers. It wasn't intentional . I was rather annoyed with myself when I pressed it. I tend to hover my fingers over the R and T key in case I need to hit 1-3 or RTY.
  • I realized that I should have pushed up and around. I got a bit of the lookie loo mentality for a bit and it kept me getting dangerously close to being destroyed.
  • That destroyer.... yeah. I should have see it but I was too busy focusing on two other ships. I was lucky. No more, no less.
  • As for spread and narrow, I tend to go back and forth depending on the situation. I'm not always right, clearly. Lol.

Thank you all though. I will get another game in here pretty soon and take your feedback into account. We will see how it turns out.

Assign torpedoes to one of the auxiliary buttons most mice have on them. When you need torps your thumb clicks and you are in torps. You need only click 1 for your normal HE. You could also assign the guns with HE to another mouse button. This makes it mucho easier.

Keep your eyes on the minimap - practice in coop (its a great place for this type of training) to train your eyes/mind/hands/fingers to move while looking at the map. Depending on the situation things can change quite rapidly.

Torp ships coming at you when they are broadside then torp before after and on the torp centerline.

Oh... don't rely on smoke to hide you. The higher you go the more useless it becomes.  

RedSeaBear #28 Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:52 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

You know the most interesting thing in that replay is it seemed like no one knew who they were playing with. When I see forumerits or devs I like to call them out and hunt them down. Or say HI if they're on my own team. 

:trollface:

~Admiral of the Sinksalot Fleet~

ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Make Super Containers Great Again

Lord_Zath #29 Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:05 PM

Commander

• WoWS Wiki Editor
  • Beta Testers
    Supertester

View PostRedSeaBear, on 30 January 2017 - 03:52 PM, said:

You know the most interesting thing in that replay is it seemed like no one knew who they were playing with. When I see forumerits or devs I like to call them out and hunt them down. Or say HI if they're on my own team. 

Very true!  I was in a battle with Trevzor yesterday and said hello right away :)

Herr_Reitz #30 Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:07 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers

Such a minor forumite as myself even gets called out... just before they focus fire on me ;-) 

Matthewl419 #31 Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:20 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

I think the two most important things you need to work on right now are:

Map Awareness

-An extremely important skill, and will often get you dead or useless if you don't have it. This skill will also help with knowing when to push and other such comments that others have made.

Not Hitting the Wrong Key

-This is also important, and very hard to learn; I can't even tell you just how many times I have messed this up, particularly in RN CLs, and BBs with torps.

Edited by Matthewl419, 30 January 2017 - 10:21 PM.

USN: St Louis, Langley, Farragut, Cleveland, New Mexico, Pensacola, Ranger,New Orleans,  Iowa, Montana.   German: G-101, V-170, T-22, Bayern, Gneisenau, Hipper.   IJN: Hatsuharu, Fubuki, Fuso, Ryujo, Akatsuki, Nagato, Kagero.   RN: Leander.   Russian: Gnevny, Budyonny.   French: Friant.

Premium: Tachibana, Mikasa, Smith, Albany, Emden, Katori, (Classic)Kamikaze R, Texas, Graf Spee, Southern Dragon. 

Arpeggio: ARP Kongo, ARP Kirishima, ARP Haruna, ARP Hiei, ARP Myoko, ARP Haguro, ARP Ashigara, ARP Nachi, ARP Takao.

Other Stuff:

NikoPower #32 Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:27 PM

Community Corgi Enthusiast

• Administrator

View PostRedSeaBear, on 30 January 2017 - 02:52 PM, said:

This USUALLY happens. It's rare that no one says anything. As you could tell from that one though, no one was talking.

- Created by Jorge_555

"To be honest in some strange way when I think of Niko I just imagine a Corgi, like my brain knows that Niko is a human but the Corgi image just works." - Devastator5000

TurboT #33 Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:54 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers

View PostNikoPower, on 30 January 2017 - 10:27 PM, said:

This USUALLY happens. It's rare that no one says anything. As you could tell from that one though, no one was talking.

had a rip roaring battle against the chieftain last night made sure I said hello early and often.. :)

http://www.twitch.tv/turbotboss

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

javachattz #34 Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:07 AM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

Since the Kamikaze and its variant's aren't for sale anymore.

I think playing a T5 DD isn't best to show case DD play and the wonky MM at T5, where as T7 you have -2/+2

Each DD represents to the core philosophy of play, without being too high or too low on the tech tree or MM... for the most part.  

Hopefully you have some 10 points captains and can utilize CE.  

1. Farragut B Hull with 5 guns, you can substitute the Sims if you wish, both of these have 2 center-line torp racks. (Don't use the Mahan) 
  2. Fubuki or Akatsuki, or sub in a Shinonome if you have. Guns that are 2x2 or 3x2 and torp racks that are 3x3. 
  3. Leningrad (the tech tree will become the Minsk (Leningrad class ship) l prefer not a Kiev since it will be a T9 ship soon) you can substitute the Anshan. 

Imperium_Titan_Roma #35 Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:27 AM

Admiral of the Navy

• Alpha Tester

View PostLert, on 30 January 2017 - 12:12 PM, said:

+1 for showing how a dev type person involves with the playerbase, rather than sitting on high on a throne.

I'll be following this thread to improve my own tin can play. A match like in the OP I would've considered a very good one.

I agree, many developers, or high ranking officials have many times made the mistake of disconnecting themselves from the playerbase. I highly approve of anyone willing to involve themselves with the community as it promotes a active, and positive community. :great:

View PostLord_Zath, on 30 January 2017 - 01:54 PM, said:

Niko, would you be OK if I narrated your replay with my own comments and posted it on YouTube?

I would love to see your videos, good luck~!

9P5yrrS.png  v8DdDDx.png

Grand Empress 

Megaton yield Weapons on Tanks? Of course its a sane Idea~!

Wyngs_2015 #36 Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:53 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Great idea Niko! :great: Im afraid that I cant be of much help since your playing IJN. That line just isn't my cup of tea. I think Slak had a good idea though. US DD's have kinda the same flavor as CL's in a way, may fit your background a little better, but who knows may be something to think about. Anyway, I think its great to see a Dev connecting to the player base this way and I will be checking this thread often. Good luck! :honoring:

Lord_Zath #37 Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:07 AM

Commander

• WoWS Wiki Editor
  • Beta Testers
    Supertester

I hope you're OK with me doing this.  If there's a problem, let me know and I'll take it down right away.  It's a quick-and-dirty commentary but hopefully you'll get some good out of it.  I don't know if anyone commented on your flag choices.  Here are my thoughts:

Spoiler

Edited by Lord_Zath, 31 January 2017 - 01:07 AM.

Submarine_Wahoo #38 Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:07 AM

Commander

• Supertester
  • Beta Testers

View PostFog_Cruiser_Maine, on 30 January 2017 - 02:33 PM, said:

I just wanted to point out that he is running mods, which is ironic because he is a WG employee, and one would think that a WG employee would play the game stock.

Why? It's not like he's a programmer for WG.

"Shoot the Sunza B****es!" (... and the Wahoo did!)

-- One of 52 American WWII submarines on Eternal Patrol --

Herr_Reitz #39 Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:17 AM

Captain

• Beta Testers

As a Kami R owner who adores the ship it is a perfectly fine choice... it gives one the experience of being up-tiered which could provide vital feedback through appropriate channels. 

Edgecase #40 Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:21 AM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

Since I don't think it's been commented on yet (I haven't watched the video), here are some things I noticed from your camera:

• Use free look more often. Your guns are swiveling all over the place, and that's something you can't always afford on a ship with slow turrets (of which there are several in the IJN destroyer line).
  • You have a good idea of where to aim, and you can put the shells in the right places, but you tend to tunnel vision while scoped in. While we're all guilty of that sometimes, it would probably improve your situational awareness to pop out and look around more often (and mash that KeyPad+ to make the map huge).

On a related note, is there any chance we can get a permanent thread or sub-forum for "rate my play" threads? I think they can be very instructional to new players, or experienced players who are working to improve.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users