Torpedo Dynamics

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

jimpat2 #21 Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:07 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

gave up on CV's, too much work, lol.  another problem came up.  torps seem to appear out of nowhere and very close.  no planes, no smoke and no ships within 12K and they seem to make perfect shots every time.

jimpat2 #22 Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:45 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

I guess know body has a answer to that...

Mercury49 #23 Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:52 AM

Petty Officer

• Members

View Postjimpat2, on 20 February 2017 - 06:45 PM, said:

I guess know body has a answer to that...

Seriously? DDs have detection ranges of way less than 12km. You have to be just driving in a straight line for too long and a stealthed DD is making torp runs on you 

Edited by Mercury49, 21 February 2017 - 03:52 AM.

jimpat2 #24 Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:56 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

mercury,  there was no other ships except s BB that i was engaged in,  after the hits i waited and looked around....nada

Mercury49 #25 Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:38 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

View Postjimpat2, on 20 February 2017 - 11:56 PM, said:

mercury,  there was no other ships except s BB that i was engaged in,  after the hits i waited and looked around....nada

not sure exactly what you mean here. 

1. Do you mean there were no DDs, only BBs left in the battle? If so, German BBs do have torps, they could've been from that. 

OR

2. You mean the only ships you could see were BBs which doesn't mean anything. There are plenty of DDs that can fire torps and you would never know they were there. 

comtedumas #26 Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:16 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View Postfoehammer273, on 25 January 2017 - 10:07 PM, said:

Has anyone at WOWS development thought about improving the dynamics of torpedo strikes?

Now I am gonna go all "IRL", so don't bite my head off for it.  I also captain all ship types, so I am not just some BB captain raging here:

1. IRL: Torpedoes that strike a hull at an angle of less than 20 degrees or so, normally bounced off the hull and continue on a new trajectory.  I.E. no detonation

2. IRL: Swinging a ship into the back of a torpedo should not cause it to detonate.  Did this recently in my Gearing in-game:  I turned hard and missed the torp, but the inertia of the maneuver swung my stern into the back (propeller) of the torp and it detonated.

The torpedoes in-game act as basically self propelled mines, in that they have triggers all over them.  IRL, torpedoes have rounded fronts and a single detonator on the very front.  Hit a torp anywhere else, and it normally won't detonate.  Adding this level of detail would make the game more challenging for anyone using torps.

I bring this up because so much work has gone into the ballistics of the shells and strike angles versus shell types, but there is none of that for torps.

Just a suggestion or topic to discuss.

Thanks

Point one is wrong.  German torpedos would exploded if it hit the ship.  For a while US torpedoes in WWII would only work if the ship was hit  at an oblique angle.  This was after they fixed the magnetic explocpders, fixed the depth gauge, and before they fixed  the contact exploder.  

twitch133 #27 Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:54 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

"Torpedo Dynamics"

Could be a good name for a group of players offering WoWs training.

Like how all the firearm instructors in the want to be uber tacticool Timmys, and stick "Dynamics" somewhere in the name of their company name, just to sound more "Operator". 

Intel 4790K : ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 : EVGA GTX 1080TI FTW3 : 16GB G.Skill Ripjaw X : Samsung 850 Evo : Asus PG279Q G-Sync

Adrenaline Rush has finally allowed me to become Obi-Wan. "If you strike me down. I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

"I fear nothing. All is as RNG wills it"

Xanthro #28 Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:39 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

View PostMercury49, on 02 February 2017 - 12:55 AM, said:

And how exactly would you have this implemented into the game? DDs have to push way ahead of allies and then turn around while they lay their mines? Ya, doesn't exactly something I want to be doing when I already have to watch for planes, other DDs, enemy radar/hydro.

If I could lay mines in my DD, on most maps I'd be invincible. Unless the mines were exceedingly limited in number, it would be so OP as to be hilarious. All channels could be denied, enemy CA chasing you through a channel, lay mines. What area denial, lay mines in the path.

Sabot_100 #29 Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:28 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostXanthro, on 23 March 2017 - 04:39 PM, said:

If I could lay mines in my DD, on most maps I'd be invincible. Unless the mines were exceedingly limited in number, it would be so OP as to be hilarious. All channels could be denied, enemy CA chasing you through a channel, lay mines. What area denial, lay mines in the path.

But can you imagine the TKs?? Even if your team could see them, they would still run into them all the time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users