Jump to content


PSA for CVs: "If something is repeatedly killing your planes..."


  • Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

StoneRhino #21 Posted 25 January 2017 - 04:09 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Members

  • 512
  • Member since:
    08-09-2012
Worst one I can think of was a Texas just the other day and 3 attacks and 7 planes on a night my aim was off. The only other target was DD in Texas aa umbrella. In a Zuiho. It depends on the CV I'm playing. For example in a ranger not long ago 1 strike against an Atlanta with DF on.

It's all situational. That same night as the Texas I couldn't kill a Cleveland that was on my tail in that same zuiho.

Like I said it sucks but sometimes the best option really is to suck it up and deal with the threat. To say "never do something" is bad advice, if you said avoid it or try not to would be different. I'm not advocating foe doing it. Because there are times when its needed. Hell last night I feed an AS independence most of my hanger from my ryujo just to keep his fighters near me and not spotting the DDS that were winning the game for us. I even taunted in chat and kept a full Tb strike on deck just so he would only have eyes for me. He even sent his DBS after me. I'm not saying do that every time but there are times when it works. I even spite killed a graf spree while capping their base in a cleveland's AA umbrella because lulz that game.

Palladia #22 Posted 25 January 2017 - 01:07 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Members

  • 605
  • Member since:
    08-16-2015

View PostHazeGrayUnderway, on 25 January 2017 - 01:06 AM, said:

 

And when you do, you have no planes left to get at the "better" targets.

 

How many attack runs is it going to take for you to sink that High AA ship?

How many of your limited bombers are you going to lose against that High AA ship before it goes down?

How much wasted time in increased hangar reloads from lost squadrons are you going to give up?

 

THEN you go after the "better" targets.  If you got any planes left.

 

By all means, go ahead and keep feeding that High AA ship.

When they boast out in Open Match Chat, "FEED ME MOAR PLANES CV" go ahead, keep going after him.  The sooner you do that, the sooner the enemy team gets to play without the threat of your bombers anymore because you greatly diminished your attack power from feeding such High AA threats.  And when you do get to that point, you may as well be dead.

 

A CV with no planes or little to no planes left may as well have been sunk.

 

Every bit this.  You never go after an AA heavy ship until you have no other options.  The only exception to this rule that I can think of is if you are being chased by one and even then it might better serve you to run away angled and try to let your allies destroy them then just suiciding your squads in desperation.

Is that last ship and NC or a New Orleans?  Okay now you can begin beating your head against a wall.

Carrier_Lexington #23 Posted 25 January 2017 - 07:06 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Members

  • 483
  • Member since:
    12-25-2014

View PostPalladia, on 25 January 2017 - 08:07 AM, said:

 

Every bit this.  You never go after an AA heavy ship until you have no other options. 

Unless you up-tier that ship (obviously excluding Cleveland). Even Clevelands and Atlantas aren't that bad once you're "neutered" their DF (it's on cooldown). In fact, I like to go for Clevelands and Atlantas early in the game with my Lexington, given the chance, first baiting their DF with a "swoop" into their airspace or even a "loss-leader" dive bomber. In fact, I've noticed that a lot of Clevelands and Atlantas wait until your planes have already dropped before activating their DF in hopes of getting "revenge kills." This, of course, means that they can take quite a beating from the bombs that hit. Then, you only have to wait 30-45 seconds, and it's go-time again.

 

Also, North Carolinas, while brutal against Tier 7 and lower aircraft, will take a thrashing from Tier 8 and higher aircraft. At that level, the planes' survivability is close to the NC's AA DPS, so they tend to survive long-enough to get a substantial drop. Obviously, Dive Bombers are more survivable than Torpedo Bombers.

 

Other DF things I've noticed.

 Even if you activate your DF right before the bombs hit the water, though, I've noticed that the game doesn't actually trigger Panic (maybe the incidence is too fast, or maybe WG threw that in there as a "no AA troll" script). Sometimes, even when they're experiencing Panic, I've seen Dive Bomber dispersion circles shrink to "normal size" right as they bomb, getting more hits than normal "panicked" Dive Bombers and dealing lots of damage. Not sure if this is a bug or not.

 

Also, catapult fighters and Torpedo Bombers are iffy. If the catapult fighter (or even fighter squad) latches onto your torpedo squadron close to the yellow line on a manual-drop, the dispersion fans-out, then gets super-close again as the torpedo-bombers release their torpedoes, and then it fan-s out again, however, the torpedoes still travel in the non-Panicked manual-drop pattern. Again, not sure if this is a bug.


"GIT OFF MY WALL!"-- Zeppelin vonSchulteiss, Lighter than Heir

 

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." --Terry Pratchett


Palladia #24 Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:53 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Members

  • 605
  • Member since:
    08-16-2015

View PostCarrier_Lexington, on 25 January 2017 - 07:06 PM, said:

Unless you up-tier that ship (obviously excluding Cleveland). Even Clevelands and Atlantas aren't that bad once you're "neutered" their DF (it's on cooldown). In fact, I like to go for Clevelands and Atlantas early in the game with my Lexington, given the chance, first baiting their DF with a "swoop" into their airspace or even a "loss-leader" dive bomber. In fact, I've noticed that a lot of Clevelands and Atlantas wait until your planes have already dropped before activating their DF in hopes of getting "revenge kills." This, of course, means that they can take quite a beating from the bombs that hit. Then, you only have to wait 30-45 seconds, and it's go-time again.

 

Also, North Carolinas, while brutal against Tier 7 and lower aircraft, will take a thrashing from Tier 8 and higher aircraft. At that level, the planes' survivability is close to the NC's AA DPS, so they tend to survive long-enough to get a substantial drop. Obviously, Dive Bombers are more survivable than Torpedo Bombers.

 

Other DF things I've noticed.

 Even if you activate your DF right before the bombs hit the water, though, I've noticed that the game doesn't actually trigger Panic (maybe the incidence is too fast, or maybe WG threw that in there as a "no AA troll" script). Sometimes, even when they're experiencing Panic, I've seen Dive Bomber dispersion circles shrink to "normal size" right as they bomb, getting more hits than normal "panicked" Dive Bombers and dealing lots of damage. Not sure if this is a bug or not.

 

Also, catapult fighters and Torpedo Bombers are iffy. If the catapult fighter (or even fighter squad) latches onto your torpedo squadron close to the yellow line on a manual-drop, the dispersion fans-out, then gets super-close again as the torpedo-bombers release their torpedoes, and then it fan-s out again, however, the torpedoes still travel in the non-Panicked manual-drop pattern. Again, not sure if this is a bug.

 

Eh,  uptiering doesn't normally mean that much except in a few cases.  Omaha to Cleveland,  Konig to Bayern.  Bayern isn't a no fly zone.  Colorado to NC.  I can tap dance on a Colorado all day but the NC,  even non-AA specced,  is going to eat my planes for lunch.

Which I think is the big thing,  speccing.  A ship with BFT,  AFT,  manual AA,  and AA range mods is going to do a heck of a lot more then a ship with none or even only part of those things.  The difference in an AA specced Shiney Horse is night and day.  You just have certain ships that don't require as much babying to be AA efficient.

Flashtirade #25 Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:50 AM

    Master Chief Petty Officer

  • Members

  • 399
  • Member since:
    02-14-2013
Temporarily becoming un-panicked while being affected by DF or a catapult fighter is almost certainly a bug.

LoganRCDmarksman #26 Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:04 PM

    Seaman

  • Members

  • 12
  • Member since:
    09-01-2014

air craft carrier with no planes=BATTERING RAM

unless your in a langnly.....its powered by hamsters

midway with no planes=battle ship mikasa



Speedstang #27 Posted 09 February 2017 - 08:56 AM

    Master Chief Petty Officer

  • Members

  • 251
  • Member since:
    08-25-2016

View PostCarrier_Lexington, on 25 January 2017 - 11:06 AM, said:

Unless you up-tier that ship (obviously excluding Cleveland). Even Clevelands and Atlantas aren't that bad once you're "neutered" their DF (it's on cooldown). In fact, I like to go for Clevelands and Atlantas early in the game with my Lexington, given the chance, first baiting their DF with a "swoop" into their airspace or even a "loss-leader" dive bomber. In fact, I've noticed that a lot of Clevelands and Atlantas wait until your planes have already dropped before activating their DF in hopes of getting "revenge kills." This, of course, means that they can take quite a beating from the bombs that hit. Then, you only have to wait 30-45 seconds, and it's go-time again.

 

Also, North Carolinas, while brutal against Tier 7 and lower aircraft, will take a thrashing from Tier 8 and higher aircraft. At that level, the planes' survivability is close to the NC's AA DPS, so they tend to survive long-enough to get a substantial drop. Obviously, Dive Bombers are more survivable than Torpedo Bombers.

 

Other DF things I've noticed.

 Even if you activate your DF right before the bombs hit the water, though, I've noticed that the game doesn't actually trigger Panic (maybe the incidence is too fast, or maybe WG threw that in there as a "no AA troll" script). Sometimes, even when they're experiencing Panic, I've seen Dive Bomber dispersion circles shrink to "normal size" right as they bomb, getting more hits than normal "panicked" Dive Bombers and dealing lots of damage. Not sure if this is a bug or not.

 

Also, catapult fighters and Torpedo Bombers are iffy. If the catapult fighter (or even fighter squad) latches onto your torpedo squadron close to the yellow line on a manual-drop, the dispersion fans-out, then gets super-close again as the torpedo-bombers release their torpedoes, and then it fan-s out again, however, the torpedoes still travel in the non-Panicked manual-drop pattern. Again, not sure if this is a bug.

 

Errrr, my NC was slaughtering Midway planes just yesterday....

 

Then again, I have every AA captain skill, including manual, and I run premium catapult fighters (with twin fighter skill), and always use the 10% dps signal, and have the 20% range upgrade >_<

 

I'm literally an anti aircraft battery, lol. Total of 1029 AA dps.

 

But yeah, in that very match I saw a survivability spec Montana get completely slaughtered by the same Midway's planes.... So unless you specifically spec for AA a CV can just murder you if you're alone.


 

 


Vaporisor #28 Posted 19 February 2017 - 03:38 AM

    Master Chief Petty Officer

  • Members

  • 231
  • Member since:
    01-09-2013

View PostRhagna, on 24 January 2017 - 06:17 PM, said:

 

North Carolina, I'm looking at you with your 100 AA rating. 

 

I swear that has no connection to my building a full AA spec US commander...

HazeGrayUnderway #29 Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:13 AM

    Captain

  • Members

  • 5,947
  • Member since:
    03-13-2015

What compels CVs to keep feeding the AA threats?

 

 

"This one ship keeps shooting my planes down.  Maybe if I send more planes he'll go away."


Edited by HazeGrayUnderway, 16 March 2017 - 03:15 AM.


Lunarrise #30 Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:03 PM

    Master Chief Petty Officer

  • Beta Testers

  • 278
  • Member since:
    04-07-2013
Some CVs can learn. I had an AA spec Cleveland in a tier 8 match awhile ago. The enemy carrier was a Hiryu. They tried to attack the Amagi I was escorting and flew the shortest path to the Amagi's broadside... which took them right across my bow. One plane out of the carrier's entire strike package lived long enough to drop its ordnance, but then I did not see another plane on my half the map the entire rest of the game.

StoneRhino #31 Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:59 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Members

  • 512
  • Member since:
    08-09-2012

View PostLunarrise, on 16 March 2017 - 04:03 PM, said:

Some CVs can learn. I had an AA spec Cleveland in a tier 8 match awhile ago. The enemy carrier was a Hiryu. They tried to attack the Amagi I was escorting and flew the shortest path to the Amagi's broadside... which took them right across my bow. One plane out of the carrier's entire strike package lived long enough to drop its ordnance, but then I did not see another plane on my half the map the entire rest of the game.

 

Was that me.  I did that very thing just the other day because it was faster then trying to get my bomber to the other side of the map.  I suck at map names but the map that has the 5 islands in the middle kind of shaped like an "X", on the east side of the map where "D" cap normally would be?

Vaporisor #32 Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:50 PM

    Master Chief Petty Officer

  • Members

  • 231
  • Member since:
    01-09-2013

Sailing an AA spec ship not normally AA, you start to notice the real good CVs.  I have had matches with no plane kills, but their CV also would turn around planes and not engage because of the spreading of my AoD.  Even if I wasnt with other peeps.  Take advantage of that opening load in to compare ships and see who is a real AA threat.



212thAttackBattalion #33 Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:34 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Members

  • 503
  • Member since:
    10-10-2012

I was going to make a separate thread for this video, but decided to just add it to this thread.... CV Drivers take note of this guy's mistake(s), and ignore the TS banter in the background.


I really am just your average, every-man World of Warships player. My play style according to Warships today:

  • Mostly plays cruisers, especially medium-tier and is very good in them
  • Deals an above average amount of damage
  • Extremely rarely uses torpedoes
  • Key vehicle - Fiji




2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users