Jump to content


WG announced french line for 2017

French tree

  • Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

TheKaiserSose101 #1 Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:06 AM

    Seaman

  • Members

  • 21
  • Member since:
    08-28-2013

Okay, in WG official developer diaries posted on Jan. 11th, they stated that they will be adding a couple ship lines for a nation that only has a premium battleship while showing the Dunkerque on screen. this obviously means we can expect some french ships within the year. Now knowing that the french navy didnt play that big of a role during the world wars it wasn't easy to fill all the spots in the tree. I still can’t find a nice boat tier 10. But in the end, I leave it all to WG put what goes where. Could fit in a premium at tier 7 but not right now, The De Grasse, pretty much the French take on the Atlanta and Flint.

 

Tier 1: Bougainville-class This boat is much like the Erie for tier 1. Big slow and larger guns. 3 x single 5.5" (135mm~) guns at about 15 knots and 2600t. 200t lighter than Erie. Its really the only ship that fits the description of a tier 1 sloop for France.

 

Tier 2 : Jurien de la Gravière.     found some balance difficulty here as they all have damn torpedoes since the 1890"s, She was commissioned in 1899 as a protected cruiser, 22knots and 8x6.5" guns (160mm) (im going by the picture to say they are single mount) and two 18" torpedo tubes. at around 5500t.

 

Tier 3: Gloire-class, this gets interesting fast. Commissioned in 1904, 21 knots, +-9000t, five 18” torpedo tubes (no idea the setup) and 2 × single 7.6” (194mm) guns, 8 × single 6.5” (164mm) guns, and 6 × single 3.9 in (100mm) guns. While researching, I noticed the French had about a half dozen different types of cruiser similar to the Gloire-class. It is clearly going to have serious balance issues.

 

Tier 4: Edgar Quinet-class. Commissioned in 1911, 23 knots and at +-13,000t. going back to some more conventional gun mounting 14 × 7.6 in (194 mm) guns. 1 twin turret, fore and aft and then the rest all over the damn place. And again two 18” torpedo tubes.

 

Tier 5: Duguay-Trouin-class. Commissioned 1926 something of a master copy for everyone’s idea of the light cruiser. 30 knots at +-7200t. 4 twin 6” (155mm) turrets, reasonable AA suite after refits ( to much for specifics. And 4 triple 22” torpedo launchers. With a scout plane.  

 

Tier 6: La Galissonnière. Commissioned in 1936. 31 knots at +-7600t. 3 triple 6” (155mm) guns. Nice AA suite with dual purpose twin 90mm. Seaplane, and 2 twin 22” torpedo tubes.

 

Tier 7: Duquesne-class Commissioned in 1928, Pretty much a French version of the German York class. 34 knots at 10,000t, 4 twin 8” (203mm) guns, decent but not great “as built” AA, seaplanes, and 4 triple 22” torpedo tubes. Not sure if she was fit with radar….

 

Tier 8: Algérie Class: Built in response to the Italian Zara Class (You could argue that  the Algérie and the Admiral Hipper were both built to keep up with the Zara). Commissioned in 1934. 31 knots at 10,000t. 4 twin 8” (203mm). nice AA with dual purpose 100mm ( 6xtwin), 2 triple 22” torpedo launchers. Aircraft and radar.

 

Tier 9: Saint-Louis class, planned not built Last one I could come up with. Plans were approved in april of 1940 but they were never ordered. She was planned at just below 16,000t, at 34 knots with 3 triple 8” (203mm). Had very large AA capacity, scout planes and radar. No torps though.

 

REMINDER: this is my take on what the line should be like. It will start off big slow well armored and bulky and progress to be faster and lighter. I do not expect WG to use any of these realistically, I only think that we will get something close to this.

 

if you want visuals, you should be able to find most on Wikipedia or ship bucket.

 


Edited by TheKaiserSose101, 14 January 2017 - 08:06 AM.


lukie116 #2 Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:32 AM

    Chief Petty Officer

  • Beta Testers

  • 162
  • Member since:
    10-07-2012
We don't need more damn cruisers. I want more battleships.

uller101 #3 Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:47 AM

    Chief Petty Officer

  • Members

  • 188
  • Member since:
    06-06-2016

View Postlukie116, on 14 January 2017 - 03:32 AM, said:

We don't need more damn cruisers. I want more battleships.

 

More cruisers will balance the teams more.  Teams are already BB and DD heavy at times.


cmdr_raccoon #4 Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:53 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Members

  • 537
  • Member since:
    08-15-2015
To be honest, as a BB enthusiast, I don't know much of these ships. But I do think cruisers need more time put into them and would support a new cruiser branch that is fun, accessible to most people and not so goddamn gimmicky like the last cruiser line released... oh you know which one.

madgiecool #5 Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:13 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Beta Testers

  • 594
  • Member since:
    08-09-2012

View Postuller101, on 14 January 2017 - 08:47 AM, said:

 

More cruisers will balance the teams more.  Teams are already BB and DD heavy at times.

 

Some teams are cruiser heavy too

 



El_Judarino #6 Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:18 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Beta Testers

  • 1,659
  • Member since:
    04-10-2015

View Postuller101, on 14 January 2017 - 03:47 AM, said:

 

More cruisers will balance the teams more.  Teams are already BB and DD heavy at times.

 

Not to mention that with the exception of the Russian DDs, the cruiser line tends to be the first one implemented for a given country. And, I'm sure the Russian CL delay was partly due to finding proper paper designs to fill 6 & 7, I particularly recall the dev diary mentioning they had no idea that plans for what became Budyonny even *existed* until they started digging through the archives.

Also, as the OP mentioned, finding real French designs for all but tier 10 isn't that difficult... Imagine finding the paper for a French BB line. Courbet is a tier 4, so we'll need a paper tier 3; Bretagne does fit the tier 5 mold established by New York and Koenig quite nicely; Dunk was used as a premium and her half sister Strasbourg could conceivably be wedged into either tier 6 or 7 depending on "balance"  otherwise both 6 & 7 are looking at paper designs (probably some iteration of Normandie and Lyon); tier 8 is neatly filled by Richelieu; tier 9 likely the unbuilt (but at least ordered) Alsace class; tier 10 is a giant paper mystery to me (though I'm sure some of our more learned forum members have ideas).

I anticipate French BBs are likely not one of the 2 French lines planned for 2017 

Kizarvexis #7 Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:54 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Members

  • 447
  • Member since:
    07-02-2016

View PostTheKaiserSose101, on 14 January 2017 - 03:06 AM, said:

Okay, in WG official developer diaries posted on Jan. 11th, they stated that they will be adding a couple ship lines for a nation that only has a premium battleship while showing the Dunkerque on screen. this obviously means we can expect some french ships within the year. Now knowing that the french navy didnt play that big of a role during the world wars it wasn't easy to fill all the spots in the tree. I still can’t find a nice boat tier 10. But in the end, I leave it all to WG put what goes where. Could fit in a premium at tier 7 but not right now, The De Grasse, pretty much the French take on the Atlanta and Flint.

 

Tier 1: Bougainville-class This boat is much like the Erie for tier 1. Big slow and larger guns. 3 x single 5.5" (135mm~) guns at about 15 knots and 2600t. 200t lighter than Erie. Its really the only ship that fits the description of a tier 1 sloop for France.

 

Tier 2 : Jurien de la Gravière.     found some balance difficulty here as they all have damn torpedoes since the 1890"s, She was commissioned in 1899 as a protected cruiser, 22knots and 8x6.5" guns (160mm) (im going by the picture to say they are single mount) and two 18" torpedo tubes. at around 5500t.

 

Tier 3: Gloire-class, this gets interesting fast. Commissioned in 1904, 21 knots, +-9000t, five 18” torpedo tubes (no idea the setup) and 2 × single 7.6” (194mm) guns, 8 × single 6.5” (164mm) guns, and 6 × single 3.9 in (100mm) guns. While researching, I noticed the French had about a half dozen different types of cruiser similar to the Gloire-class. It is clearly going to have serious balance issues.

 

Tier 4: Edgar Quinet-class. Commissioned in 1911, 23 knots and at +-13,000t. going back to some more conventional gun mounting 14 × 7.6 in (194 mm) guns. 1 twin turret, fore and aft and then the rest all over the damn place. And again two 18” torpedo tubes.

 

Tier 5: Duguay-Trouin-class. Commissioned 1926 something of a master copy for everyone’s idea of the light cruiser. 30 knots at +-7200t. 4 twin 6” (155mm) turrets, reasonable AA suite after refits ( to much for specifics. And 4 triple 22” torpedo launchers. With a scout plane.  

 

Tier 6: La Galissonnière. Commissioned in 1936. 31 knots at +-7600t. 3 triple 6” (155mm) guns. Nice AA suite with dual purpose twin 90mm. Seaplane, and 2 twin 22” torpedo tubes.

 

Tier 7: Duquesne-class Commissioned in 1928, Pretty much a French version of the German York class. 34 knots at 10,000t, 4 twin 8” (203mm) guns, decent but not great “as built” AA, seaplanes, and 4 triple 22” torpedo tubes. Not sure if she was fit with radar….

 

Tier 8: Algérie Class: Built in response to the Italian Zara Class (You could argue that  the Algérie and the Admiral Hipper were both built to keep up with the Zara). Commissioned in 1934. 31 knots at 10,000t. 4 twin 8” (203mm). nice AA with dual purpose 100mm ( 6xtwin), 2 triple 22” torpedo launchers. Aircraft and radar.

 

Tier 9: Saint-Louis class, planned not built Last one I could come up with. Plans were approved in april of 1940 but they were never ordered. She was planned at just below 16,000t, at 34 knots with 3 triple 8” (203mm). Had very large AA capacity, scout planes and radar. No torps though.

 

REMINDER: this is my take on what the line should be like. It will start off big slow well armored and bulky and progress to be faster and lighter. I do not expect WG to use any of these realistically, I only think that we will get something close to this.

 

if you want visuals, you should be able to find most on Wikipedia or ship bucket.

 

 

I don't know much about the French Navy, but I was interested in checking out the ships on your list.

 

Jurien de la Gravière having torpedoes at tier 2 may not be a problem if they were underwater mounted. WG has evidently said that there will be no underwater torp tubes in WOWs. According to the link below, it appears that the torps are underwater if the (sub, beam) comment means that.

 

http://www.navypedia..._la_gravier.htm

 

This is my pure speculation. Not sure if the T9 Saint Louis will go in as we have a St Louis in T3 for USN. Yes, they won't meet, but confusion would happen in game I think. Isn't it still possible to make a fail division or did they stop that in the last patch? They may use the Saint Louis at T9, but I would guess they would choose a different name from that class for it.  

 



Sothron #8 Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:32 AM

    Chief Petty Officer

  • Members

  • 171
  • Member since:
    10-22-2015
I very much want the French BB line and a distant second the cruiser line. Destroyers have no interest in me for any navy but I know the French had some amazing destroyers, those fast "Superdestroyers" should be interesting. I still wonder if WG will consider them CL or DD.

Lord_Magus #9 Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:39 PM

    Lieutenant Junior Grade

  • Members

  • 1,487
  • Member since:
    08-18-2016

View PostKizarvexis, on 14 January 2017 - 05:54 PM, said:

This is my pure speculation. Not sure if the T9 Saint Louis will go in as we have a St Louis in T3 for USN. Yes, they won't meet, but confusion would happen in game I think. Isn't it still possible to make a fail division or did they stop that in the last patch? They may use the Saint Louis at T9, but I would guess they would choose a different name from that class for it.  

 

Fail divisions still exist, but only with a +/-1 spread. So a St. Louis can at most fail-div with a T4 ship. And a T4 ship can end up in a maximum of T5 game, so St. Louis can never under any circumstance see T9s. I don't think there is going to be an issue with ships having similar names, so long as they're not the same name. I mean, we've got 3 German DDs in a row whose "names" are just the letter Z followed by a number. I don't think the T3 USN cruiser being St. Louis and the T9 French cruiser being Saint-Louis would be overly confusing. They're written differently and pronounced differently (I'm guessing Saint-Louis will end up being nicknamed "Louie" since that's how Louis is pronounced in French).

 

Now what's more of an issue regarding potential confusion is if a 2nd RN cruiser line gets implemented for CAs. Since the Royal Navy only made 3 heavy cruiser classes, it stands to reason that all 3 would be included. And 1 of those is the York class which would probably sit just 1 tier below the German Yorck.

 

At any rate with regard to the proposed tech tree above, I can't see a ship like Gloire with mixed-caliber main armament being included in a tech tree, not unless WG implements a way to switch between player control of of the 194mm and 160mm guns. Which I really hope happens (with the same fix being applied ot Mikasa and any future mixed-caliber ships), but so far it hasn't happened.

 

Duguay-Trouin has a really awkward armor scheme, namely there is no armor to speak of. I don't know how well that would work at T5 where she'd get uptiered to face T7s routinely. The advantage of course is that Duguay-Trouin has a tiny split citadel, so most hits (likely even many hits through the citadel when it comes to BB guns) would be overpens.

 

I'm thinking the T7 would be Suffren rather than Duquesne. Duquesne has the same "lol what's armor?" scheme as Trouin, and I don't see that working out at all when facing up to T9 ships. As guns get bigger and more accurate, even overpens get increasingly damaging.



Carrier_Lexington #10 Posted 16 January 2017 - 01:40 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Members

  • 680
  • Member since:
    12-25-2014

View PostLord_Magus, on 15 January 2017 - 01:39 PM, said:

 

Fail divisions still exist, but only with a +/-1 spread. So a St. Louis can at most fail-div with a T4 ship. And a T4 ship can end up in a maximum of T5 game, so St. Louis can never under any circumstance see T9s. I don't think there is going to be an issue with ships having similar names, so long as they're not the same name. I mean, we've got 3 German DDs in a row whose "names" are just the letter Z followed by a number. I don't think the T3 USN cruiser being St. Louis and the T9 French cruiser being Saint-Louis would be overly confusing. They're written differently and pronounced differently (I'm guessing Saint-Louis will end up being nicknamed "Louie" since that's how Louis is pronounced in French).

You could always spell the French cruiser's name "Saint" instead of "St.", or give a designating number to go along with it.


"Heresy!"


Lord_Magus #11 Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:08 AM

    Lieutenant Junior Grade

  • Members

  • 1,487
  • Member since:
    08-18-2016
Well in French it does get spelled out Saint-Louis, not abbreviated. So that works fine.

Tzarevitch #12 Posted 20 January 2017 - 06:05 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Members

  • 433
  • Member since:
    05-26-2015

View PostTheKaiserSose101, on 14 January 2017 - 03:06 AM, said:

Okay, in WG official developer diaries posted on Jan. 11th, they stated that they will be adding a couple ship lines for a nation that only has a premium battleship while showing the Dunkerque on screen. this obviously means we can expect some french ships within the year. Now knowing that the french navy didnt play that big of a role during the world wars it wasn't easy to fill all the spots in the tree. I still can’t find a nice boat tier 10. But in the end, I leave it all to WG put what goes where. Could fit in a premium at tier 7 but not right now, The De Grasse, pretty much the French take on the Atlanta and Flint.

 

Tier 1: Bougainville-class This boat is much like the Erie for tier 1. Big slow and larger guns. 3 x single 5.5" (135mm~) guns at about 15 knots and 2600t. 200t lighter than Erie. Its really the only ship that fits the description of a tier 1 sloop for France.

 

Tier 2 : Jurien de la Gravière.     found some balance difficulty here as they all have damn torpedoes since the 1890"s, She was commissioned in 1899 as a protected cruiser, 22knots and 8x6.5" guns (160mm) (im going by the picture to say they are single mount) and two 18" torpedo tubes. at around 5500t.

 

Tier 3: Gloire-class, this gets interesting fast. Commissioned in 1904, 21 knots, +-9000t, five 18” torpedo tubes (no idea the setup) and 2 × single 7.6” (194mm) guns, 8 × single 6.5” (164mm) guns, and 6 × single 3.9 in (100mm) guns. While researching, I noticed the French had about a half dozen different types of cruiser similar to the Gloire-class. It is clearly going to have serious balance issues.

 

Tier 4: Edgar Quinet-class. Commissioned in 1911, 23 knots and at +-13,000t. going back to some more conventional gun mounting 14 × 7.6 in (194 mm) guns. 1 twin turret, fore and aft and then the rest all over the damn place. And again two 18” torpedo tubes.

 

Tier 5: Duguay-Trouin-class. Commissioned 1926 something of a master copy for everyone’s idea of the light cruiser. 30 knots at +-7200t. 4 twin 6” (155mm) turrets, reasonable AA suite after refits ( to much for specifics. And 4 triple 22” torpedo launchers. With a scout plane.  

 

Tier 6: La Galissonnière. Commissioned in 1936. 31 knots at +-7600t. 3 triple 6” (155mm) guns. Nice AA suite with dual purpose twin 90mm. Seaplane, and 2 twin 22” torpedo tubes.

 

Tier 7: Duquesne-class Commissioned in 1928, Pretty much a French version of the German York class. 34 knots at 10,000t, 4 twin 8” (203mm) guns, decent but not great “as built” AA, seaplanes, and 4 triple 22” torpedo tubes. Not sure if she was fit with radar….

 

Tier 8: Algérie Class: Built in response to the Italian Zara Class (You could argue that  the Algérie and the Admiral Hipper were both built to keep up with the Zara). Commissioned in 1934. 31 knots at 10,000t. 4 twin 8” (203mm). nice AA with dual purpose 100mm ( 6xtwin), 2 triple 22” torpedo launchers. Aircraft and radar.

 

Tier 9: Saint-Louis class, planned not built Last one I could come up with. Plans were approved in april of 1940 but they were never ordered. She was planned at just below 16,000t, at 34 knots with 3 triple 8” (203mm). Had very large AA capacity, scout planes and radar. No torps though.

 

REMINDER: this is my take on what the line should be like. It will start off big slow well armored and bulky and progress to be faster and lighter. I do not expect WG to use any of these realistically, I only think that we will get something close to this.

 

if you want visuals, you should be able to find most on Wikipedia or ship bucket.

 

 

​I like the list, but Gloire is a problem. She has a mixed main battery of 7.6" and 6.5". As I recall they said that the game doesn't support mixed main batteries like that. She'd be worse than Mikasa. You'd only be able to control 2 guns instead of the 4 on mikasa. THe 6.5" would be secondaries. Unfortunately, now that I look at them, all the French armored cruisers have mixed batteries like that. They could do it by switching the 7.6 for 2 more 6.5. The other problem is she is she is really big has rather heavy armor for a T3, being a full-on armored cruiser not a protected cruiser like St. Louis and Bogatyr. I don't think most of the equivalent tier cruisers could get through her armor. I don't see any suitable French protected cruiser so they would probably use an earlier class than the Gloire. One with thinner armor. SOmething like Dupuy de Lome may be better. She looks crazy as hell but she isn't as big as Gloire or as heavily armored.  Here's a computer rendering of what she looked like:

Image result for dupuy de lome Cruiser.


Edited by Tzarevitch, 20 January 2017 - 06:10 AM.


Phoenix_jz #13 Posted 20 January 2017 - 04:19 PM

    Captain

  • Beta Testers

  • 4,010
  • Member since:
    05-06-2013
My take;

1- yes, though I'd go with specifically Beaupré, who is a sister ship and a bit faster.

2- yes

3- nope, mixed caliber ships aren't supported sadly

4- might make a better tier III, but I don't know how she'd do at tier IV

5- might make a better tier IV, as their armor is almost non-existent. I prefer Emile Bertin here myself

6- yes

7- too weak, I'd pick Suffren instead

8- yes

9- yes

10- C5 SA1. Basically, Saint-Louis with autoloader 8in guns.

 

My "Directory of Threads" <-- Various threads I've done you might find interesting, feel free to check it out!

​Most recent addition: USN Cruiser Split


NTRabbit #14 Posted 20 January 2017 - 04:21 PM

    Petty Officer

  • Beta Testers

  • 81
  • Member since:
    08-09-2012

View PostEl_Judarino, on 14 January 2017 - 07:48 PM, said:

 

Not to mention that with the exception of the Russian DDs, the cruiser line tends to be the first one implemented for a given country. And, I'm sure the Russian CL delay was partly due to finding proper paper designs to fill 6 & 7, I particularly recall the dev diary mentioning they had no idea that plans for what became Budyonny even *existed* until they started digging through the archives.

Also, as the OP mentioned, finding real French designs for all but tier 10 isn't that difficult... Imagine finding the paper for a French BB line. Courbet is a tier 4, so we'll need a paper tier 3; Bretagne does fit the tier 5 mold established by New York and Koenig quite nicely; Dunk was used as a premium and her half sister Strasbourg could conceivably be wedged into either tier 6 or 7 depending on "balance"  otherwise both 6 & 7 are looking at paper designs (probably some iteration of Normandie and Lyon); tier 8 is neatly filled by Richelieu; tier 9 likely the unbuilt (but at least ordered) Alsace class; tier 10 is a giant paper mystery to me (though I'm sure some of our more learned forum members have ideas).

I anticipate French BBs are likely not one of the 2 French lines planned for 2017 

 

French battleships are relatively straightforward actually - Courbet at 3, because the first Dreadnought is by definition always used as the tier 3 and then made terrible with arbitrary stats, Bretagne 4, Normandie 5, Lyon 6, the 37,000t fast battleship type A (1927) design at 7, and Richlieu at 8. After that it's either C3 'Gascogne' at 9 and Alsace type 3 at 10, or Alsace type 3 at 9, and Alsace type 2 at 10 - or my favourite, since the Germans got fake triple turrets on their tier 10 to get 12 16/16.5" guns, the French can get fake quad turrets large enough to hold 16" guns to give Alsace type 2 12x 16" guns as well.

El_Judarino #15 Posted 20 January 2017 - 05:08 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Beta Testers

  • 1,659
  • Member since:
    04-10-2015

View PostNTRabbit, on 20 January 2017 - 11:21 AM, said:

 

French battleships are relatively straightforward actually - Courbet at 3, because the first Dreadnought is by definition always used as the tier 3 and then made terrible with arbitrary stats, Bretagne 4, Normandie 5, Lyon 6, the 37,000t fast battleship type A (1927) design at 7, and Richlieu at 8. After that it's either C3 'Gascogne' at 9 and Alsace type 3 at 10, or Alsace type 3 at 9, and Alsace type 2 at 10 - or my favourite, since the Germans got fake triple turrets on their tier 10 to get 12 16/16.5" guns, the French can get fake quad turrets large enough to hold 16" guns to give Alsace type 2 12x 16" guns as well.

 

While I like the first dreadnought = tier 3 rule, Courbet came so late to the party that it's really much more on par with the Wyoming and kaiser class than it is South Carolina and Kaiser. It seems reasonable that this will also likely be the case for the Russians as Gangut really outclasses tier 3  and (while not as brokenly crazy as the Imperator Nikolai, looks like it *should* be a rather capable tier 4). Whether these BB lines would start a tier 4 or get paper ships at tier 3 is an interesting question in and of itself, but shoe-horning either into tier 3 would require either dramatic artificial nerfing of the ships or introduce massive power creep to the tier. The Italian Dante Alighieri presents similar problems, having a very tier 4 armament on a much more tier 3 armor/displacement combination. 

Likewise, I feel you have Bretagne, Normandie and Lyon each placed a tier too low.

I do, however, like you solutions for the top of the tree and am eagerly anticipating the day when WG "finds" the plans for the 4 barreled, 16" gun turret that France "was about to sell to Stalin" before the war ruined everything... surely in a drawer in the same room of the archives where they found the triple turret of German design :hmm:

Carrier_Lexington #16 Posted 24 January 2017 - 07:34 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Members

  • 680
  • Member since:
    12-25-2014

View PostEl_Judarino, on 20 January 2017 - 12:08 PM, said:

I do, however, like you solutions for the top of the tree and am eagerly anticipating the day when WG "finds" the plans for the 4 barreled, 16" gun turret that France "was about to sell to Stalin" before the war ruined everything... surely in a drawer in the same room of the archives where they found the triple turret of German design :hmm:

Or the Kurberfurst's 42cm shell.... Or the USN Strike Configuration...

 

Y'know, if they can just invent things to "balance" the German lines, why can't they just inve-- FIND plans to balance Montanna?


"Heresy!"


hanesco #17 Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:15 PM

    Master Chief Petty Officer

  • Members

  • 214
  • Member since:
    08-27-2015

View PostCarrier_Lexington, on 24 January 2017 - 02:34 PM, said:

Or the Kurberfurst's 42cm shell.... Or the USN Strike Configuration...

 

Y'know, if they can just invent things to "balance" the German lines, why can't they just inve-- FIND plans to balance Montanna?

The 42 cm german gun was a plan made during construction of the H class battleships, regunning the 406 mm guns to that diameter (the rifle was way thicker than any other german gun, and they planned to do what the italians did with their 12 inch guns)

 

Those "inventions" were plans made by many navies during construction, which made them paper, not fantasy ships.

 

Though I have never seen any plans for the 16 inch/42 cm triple turret, I have seen blueprints of a 8 inch triple turret made for the german navy circa 1942


Current ships:

Tier II-IV: Tachibana, Emden, Katori, Kuma, Duguay-Trouin.

Tier V-VI: Kamikaze R, ARP Kongo (all), T-22, Konig, Kirov, Leander, Bayern, Graf Spee.

Tier VII: ARP Myoko (all), Pensacola, Mahan, Akatsuki, Shiratsuyu, Shchors, Minsk.

Tier VIII:  ARP Takao, Amagi, Mogami, Kagero, Kiev, Ognevoi, Adm. Hipper.


Carrier_Lexington #18 Posted 27 January 2017 - 03:51 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Members

  • 680
  • Member since:
    12-25-2014

View Posthanesco, on 26 January 2017 - 04:15 PM, said:

The 42 cm german gun was a plan made during construction of the H class battleships, regunning the 406 mm guns to that diameter (the rifle was way thicker than any other german gun, and they planned to do what the italians did with their 12 inch guns)

 

Those "inventions" were plans made by many navies during construction, which made them paper, not fantasy ships.

 

Though I have never seen any plans for the 16 inch/42 cm triple turret, I have seen blueprints of a 8 inch triple turret made for the german navy circa 1942

 

I looked-it up on Navweaps, apparently, they didn't even have any projections on what the hypothetical characteristics for the 42cm shell would be.

"Heresy!"


Phoenix_jz #19 Posted 27 January 2017 - 03:59 AM

    Captain

  • Beta Testers

  • 4,010
  • Member since:
    05-06-2013
Just to throw around some numbers on the guns and mountings, at least as far as AP is concerned;

164.7mm/45 (Gravére) -
RoF: 3 rpm
Traverse Rate: N/A
Muzzle Velocity: 770mps
AP damage: 3000

194mm/50 (Edgar Quinet) -
RoF: 2 rpm
Traverse Rate: N/A
Muzzle Velocity: 945mps
AP damage: 4200

155mm/50 (Duguay-Trouin) -
RoF: 3-5 rpm (6 designed)
Traverse Rate: 6.4°/sec (28.125 seconds)
Muzzle Velocity: 870mps
AP damage: 3300

152mm/55 (Emile Bertin, La Galissonniére) -
RoF: 4-5 rpm (8 designed)
Traverse Rate: 12°/sec (15 seconds)
Muzzle Velocity: 870mps(original) 840mps(USN SAP)
AP damage: 3300 (for ammunition types)

203mm/50 (All CA's) -
RoF: 4-5 rpm (5-6 designed)
Traverse Rate: 6°/sec (30 seconds)
Muzzle Velocity: 850mps(All rounds except M1936) 820mps(APC M1936)
AP damage: 4700 (APC M1927) 4800 (APC M1936)


 

 

My "Directory of Threads" <-- Various threads I've done you might find interesting, feel free to check it out!

​Most recent addition: USN Cruiser Split


hanesco #20 Posted 27 January 2017 - 02:34 PM

    Master Chief Petty Officer

  • Members

  • 214
  • Member since:
    08-27-2015

View PostCarrier_Lexington, on 26 January 2017 - 10:51 PM, said:

 

I looked-it up on Navweaps, apparently, they didn't even have any projections on what the hypothetical characteristics for the 42cm shell would be.

The plan was made just before the cancellation of the H class battleships, obviously they would cancel those plans too, all that remained from the H class were the turrets, used as coast defense batteries


Current ships:

Tier II-IV: Tachibana, Emden, Katori, Kuma, Duguay-Trouin.

Tier V-VI: Kamikaze R, ARP Kongo (all), T-22, Konig, Kirov, Leander, Bayern, Graf Spee.

Tier VII: ARP Myoko (all), Pensacola, Mahan, Akatsuki, Shiratsuyu, Shchors, Minsk.

Tier VIII:  ARP Takao, Amagi, Mogami, Kagero, Kiev, Ognevoi, Adm. Hipper.






Also tagged with French tree

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users