Suggestion: Visual Icon when teammate uses certain consumables

consumables icon

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Junkieturtle #1 Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:20 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

How about on your main screen when looking at a friendly player, an icon becomes present when that player is using consumables like radar, sonar, def AA, etc etc. An option could be present either to turn the icons off entirely, or perhaps just to limit them to the Alternate View.

Or, going in a bit of a different direction, how about some speech hotkeys for when you're going to use a consumable. Could even go as far as not making it a hotkey at all, but rather automatically broadcasting(flashing, audio, etc) to your teammates when you activate a non-personal consumable.

I may be on the side of the angels... but don't think for one second that I am one of them.

Junkieturtle #2 Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:21 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

Oh lordy, please don't let someone reply and say they already have these things in the game, and I've somehow missed them over 6k games.
I may be on the side of the angels... but don't think for one second that I am one of them.

Destroyer_Kiyoshimo #3 Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:22 PM

Vice Admiral

• Beta Testers

this is not in the game, no.

Biggest use I could see for this is teammates can see that I've already used damage control and that's why I'm not repairing the flooding caused by their badly aimed torpedoes.

Kiyoshimo's aircraft carrier rework

AP is the ship-killer. AP is the heavy death that brings total obliteration. I will face their AP. I will permit it to pass over me and bounce from me. And when it has passed, I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the AP has gone there will be nothing.

Only I will remain. 

pyantoryng #4 Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:23 PM

Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester

Could be helpful to tell whose radar/sonar/DF has been activated so that you can use/hold back those of your own.

DoomStomper #5 Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:30 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

+1

Could be useful, especially to help those like myself who can't type worth a damn to communicate our intentions.

My Stats

PC Specs
 Intel i7 - 6700k processor, Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo cooler, Asus Z170 motherboard, MSI GTX 980 Ti GPU, Crucial 16GB DDR4 RAM, Corsair Graphite 760t case, EVGA Supernova 850G2 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate 2TB HDD, Acer XB271HU monitor, Windows 10

AspiringCodger #6 Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:34 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Beta Testers

Would be very helpful in some situations.  Not wasting radar if someone else has it active as mentioned above.  Also, being in a ship without radar and seeing someone else has it active and nothing is lit giving you the confidence to round the corner immediately would be nice.

Lonewolfpj #7 Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:40 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

I always try to tell my team when I use stuff 

Raven114 #8 Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:46 PM

Ensign

• Members

This is suppose to be a battle during WW2 time frame. There was not much communication between ships during battles! .

TenguBlade #9 Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:48 PM

Rear Admiral

• Members

This would be very helpful for aiding those who don't read chat and/or don't read/write in the client's primary language very well.  I could definitely see this being a thing.

Maybe RPF should be reworked to provide consumable information on spotted enemy ships instead of the garbage it is right now.

"I guess it's hard for bad guys like us to die.  The real heroes always manage to die first...we live the rest of our lives in hell.  But then again, being alive is proof that we were good." - Dominic "Vulture" Zubov, Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War

IJN: Yamato, Amagi, Ibuki, Mogami, Shokaku, Hiryu, Akatsuki, Hatsuharu, Kamikaze R, MikasaKongō, Myōkō, Kirishima, Haruna, Hiei, Ashigara, Nachi, Haguro, TakaoSouthern Dragon

USN: Montana, Iowa, New Mexico, New Orleans, Pensacola, Cleveland, Langley, Farragut

European Navies: Gnevny/Ognevoi, Shchors, Nürnberg, Bayern, Leander/Fiji, Blyskawica (Gift from Compassghost), Scharnhorst (First and only bought), Admiral Graf Spee

Kombat_W0MBAT #10 Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:56 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View PostRaven114, on 11 January 2017 - 11:46 AM, said:

This is suppose to be a battle during WW2 time frame. There was not much communication between ships during battles! .

Realism is hardly a justification for why something should or shouldn't be in an arcade game. 

Great idea, Junkieturtle... you should post this in Pigeon_of_War's suggestion thread.

Edited by Kombat_W0MBAT, 11 January 2017 - 05:56 PM.

SergeantHop #11 Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:58 PM

Commander

• Members

I believe this, or something very similar to it, has been suggested before.

That being said, it is still an excellent suggestion, and something worth adding to the game. I agree with W0mbat, put it in Pigeon's thread.

#1 in the world for max base XP in Tirpitz

Check out my premium camo thread here!

MnemonScarlet #12 Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:59 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

That would be a nice addition to the game. Then you could share HP with other pub BBs pretty easily. Just seeing when they have their repair and DCP on cooldown, and switching off with them for front-tank duties if a push is actually happening.

Would also remove all doubt on the BBs who don't wanna team-play responsibly and let one guy get focused down until he's dead cause muh free damage time.

Spoiler

Jakob_Knight #13 Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:05 PM

Ensign

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

I think we're already getting too saturated with HUD clutter.  We don't need yet more to replace communications players should be doing themselves.

If this were ever put in, the sheer number of icons needed to list all the consumables would make the game too busy to actually enjoy.  I'd hope WG would have the sense to make this sort of thing able to be disabled for those who don't need it.

LittleWhiteMouse #14 Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:18 PM

Captain

• WoWS Community Contributors
  • Members
    Beta Testers

View PostJunkieturtle, on 11 January 2017 - 12:20 PM, said:

How about on your main screen when looking at a friendly player, an icon becomes present when that player is using consumables like radar, sonar, def AA, etc etc. An option could be present either to turn the icons off entirely, or perhaps just to limit them to the Alternate View.

Or, going in a bit of a different direction, how about some speech hotkeys for when you're going to use a consumable. Could even go as far as not making it a hotkey at all, but rather automatically broadcasting(flashing, audio, etc) to your teammates when you activate a non-personal consumable.

I would be all over this.  There are some visual cues for certain abilities but they're easy to miss.  Some of these effects require you to have "small object details" maximized.

•  Damage Control Party:  Fires go out / damage over time effects (namely hit points dropping at steady intervals) ceases.  No other visual indicator.
  •  Repair Party:  Hit points begin restoring.  No other visual indicator.
  •  Defensive Fire:  The number of AA tracers increases significantly, but proportionate to the number of large caliber dual purpose guns. 
  •  Smoke Generator:  White smoke begins rising from the ship's funnel.
  •  Aircraft:  The catapult aircraft visibly launches.

I would much prefer if some icon appeared overtop or if there was some form of radio chatter that either a player could broadcast or that automatically went off when they used a consumable.  This is especially true of the detection consumables, like hydroacoustic search and radar which currently have no indicator.

Q♥  My most Recent Review:  Mutsu

LightningWaffle #15 Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:39 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

I'm all for this idea, Junkieturtle. Extra information like this is always good. Good thought!

ArIskandir #16 Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:47 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

I like,+1

Reymu #17 Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:01 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

If it doesn't clutter up the UI further.

Always down for helping anyone learn. Hands-on guy, so I'll division with ya and observe how you're handling your ship. Click orange contacts button, use search bar for player's name, and right-click to add.

R1CK #18 Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:24 PM

Ensign

• Beta Testers

Yes please!

Unkle_Grimace #19 Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:45 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

+1. yes would be very helpful. No over laps for radar/hydro. Being aware enough to tank damage for a teammate who recently used repair/dmg party comsumable, as well as float plane fighter/spotting over laps.

Simple Icon over your teammate's Name/HP bar would be pretty easy to add-in one would think?

Skpstr #20 Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:04 PM

Vice Admiral

• Members

View PostRaven114, on 11 January 2017 - 05:46 PM, said:

Didn't need to be. One person gave orders, and the rest did what they were told lol.

Plus, almost all of our consumables are either "magic spells", or things that a ship would be assumed to be doing whenever necessary.

Also tagged with consumables, icon

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users