A letter to WG, WG Staff, and WG Santa

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

merfox #1 Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:20 AM

Seaman

• Members

So let me start by saying, I am sorry for the long read.

I found this game when a neighbour's kid I help with scale model builds told me about this neat game he plays. World of Tanks. "Yeah I guess that's cool" I thought, but since I'm not really into tanks I wasn't really blown away. Ships have always been a passion of mine, and knowing this, the little monster showed me a youtube video of another game by the same company. I've never played PC games before, I was a console game player but oooooh I was tempted.

Now I'm not wealthy, don't have a ton of disposable income. My home computer was a Macbook and I couldn't see myself buying a PC-based laptop just for a game. Fate stepped in soon after, because my Macbook started dying. A friend of mine lent me a potato PC laptop while I saved up to replace mine and I couldn't resist, I installed World of Warships on it and bought a Murmansk so I could get an beta invite. Now at first I was getting about 2 to 6 fps on a good day. I'm sure people hated me for contributing next to nothing, but I was hooked. I sailed around in my Hashidate and Chikuma and got a handful of hits per game.

Three days before the public release, I received an unexpected sum. It happened to be exactly what I was missing to buy not the best, but a decent gaming laptop. I even sent iChase an email asking his opinion on whether it was a good buy because I had no idea what I was doing. The day of the public release, I was in my kitchen installing WoWs on my brand new Laptop. An I've been playing since.

Like most players, I got a bit burnt out and actually took a break around the time of this year's Hallowe'en events. I spoke about it on this forum, and was given great advice. Am I a great player? Nope. Honestly, I play way more co-op than random because I just can't seem to get the hang of PvP. As well I have anxiety issues, so PvP games sometimes trigger panic attacks when I feel I'm letting the side down. I think I'm doing pretty good in co-op. In fact I came back from my break and completed the entire ARP missions exclusively in co-op and someone told me that's actually impressive, so maybe I'm better than I thought.

As previously mentioned, I ain't rich. The only premium ships I had in my harbour were Murmansk, Albany (prize ship for the Anniversary), Emden (last Christmas prize ship), Marblehead (prize for the reddit contest we don't speak about), Itchyzucchini (I can't explain why I bought it apart from cheap and IJN trainer) and Warpsite, because she's my favourite ship ever. I've only got one supercontainer in the hundreds I've opened (and it was flags) but I'm not surprised, my luck has always been pretty crappy. The way I see it, I get free flags and consumables on a regular basis from WG, so if I don't get supercons, oh well.

And then it was time for Christmas. As someone who lurks on here, I saw a post about the Christmas ornament contest and the prize, a free Indianapolis. I grabbed a 1/700 waterline model of Akizuki, tried to give it a dusting of Christmas glitter, screwed in a hook to hang it from and sent it to WG with high hopes. I had even read that Nikopower would allow the winners to choose doubloons over the Indy. I was really hopeful because I had been hoarding doubloons in order to get my dream ship, Atlanta.

I'll cut to the chase, I didn't win. I was a bit bummed, but if you look at the winners and their ornaments you can totally see they deserved it. But all that didn't matter because bad news started rolling in. Both my grandmother and my father were admitted to Hospital and my family had a tense and subdued holidays. Money was tighter than ever but I had told myself that I would give myself a budget ($25 CAD) and treat myself to some Santa Boxes.

At first, I got a bunch of doubloons (6000 in total), 180 days of premium, tons of flags and camo and... HOLY CRAP! I got Texas and Arizona! I was floored. I mean they're not ships I would have bought for myself, but who cares? And it didn't stop there. Somehow my job messed up and so I was given an unexpected refund. After settling bills, I was left with a bit of money. Our Christmas was dismal, hospital visits were not giving us good news... I needed something to perk me up.

By now this is already way too long, so let's get right to it. I ended up spending $110CAD (total), using a advice from NoZoupForYou's video (buying boxes in small lots, not all at the same time) and this is what I have to show for it:

• signal flags. Oh lord do I have flags.  Zulu, Papa Papa, Zulu Hotel... am I complaining? Nope. They've been useful as I've been grinding to get a Graf Spee
  • camo. Again, no complaints here, although not sure how to use the mountain of New Year camo i've got.
  • brace yourselves, cuz I got ships: Anshan, Gremyashchy, Lo Yang, Błyskawica, Sims, Arizona, Texas, Molotov, Atlanta, Indianapolis, Mikhail Kutuzov, Atago, Nikolai I, Scharnhorst and Tirpitz (bought the Tirp with the doubloons I won when she was on sale)

I know some of you think this is bragging, and you might be right, but it is not my intent. As I write this, we are preparing two funerals. In these hard times for my family, WG gave me a reason to cheer up which I desperately needed. I do realize it's all luck, that WG didn't make it so I won, but still.

I'd like to thank you men and women at WG. NikoPower, PigeonofWar... all of you. I'd like to thank streamers like iChase, iEarlGrey, NoZoupForYou, Aerroon... for helping nobodies like me. WoWs wasn't made to make people's lives better but it's made mine better. From the bottom of my heart, thank you.

http://imgur.com/hfWjsL0

Batwingsix #2 Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:37 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Alpha Tester

Good stuff bud, sad days having to plan those things. Prayers out to you. Glad you're having fun though, and although most people think Wargaming are just some greedy, yada yada company... they do pretty good things (Not looking at World of Warplanes... black sheep of WG lmbo....) and in all this community is pretty solid. WoT has an extremely toxic community, you have chosen not only the game which is honestly the most fun of the two, but the one with the most helpful, resourceful, and respectful groups that I have experienced in gaming. So far as the PvP thing goes, don't sweat it. I even love Co-Op when I need some relaxed fun, and when you play PvP, unless you're sailing around screaming "DERRRRPPPP" as you sink every allied ship... screw thinking your a hinder to your team. If you are shooting the enemy and causing damage, you're two steps ahead of some players lol.
Spoiler

KM: Hindenburg / Roon / Tirpitz / Admiral Hipper / Prinz Eugen / Scharnhorst / Yorck / Admiral Graf Spee / Bayern / Konig / T-22 /  Konig Albert / Emden /  RN: Belfast / Leander / Warspite / Danae / Campeltown /  US: Missouri / New Orleans / Pensacola / Indianapolis / Atlanta / Saipan / Sims / Cleveland / Arizona / Farragut / Bogue / Marblehead / New York / Texas / Omaha / Nicholas / Arkansas Beta / Langley / Albany / Smith / IJN: Mogami / Atago / Myoko / Fujin / Kamikaze R / Kamikaze / Iwaki Alpha / Yubari / Ishizuchi / Tachibana / Mikasa / RU: Mikhail Kutuzov / Leningrad / Budyonny / Molotov / Krasny Krym / Gremyashchy / Kirov / Murmansk / Imperiator Nikoli I / Aurora / Diana / Other:  Lo Yang / Blyskawica / Anshan / Dunkerque / Perth / 

Pz_Jager #3 Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:37 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Sorry for your loss and HEY you ain't a nobody!! Everybody is a somebody in real life and on the forums.See you on the high seas in your new shiny ships:honoring:

Pz_Jager #4 Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:39 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostBatwingsix, on 10 January 2017 - 01:37 AM, said:

Good stuff bud, sad days having to plan those things. Prayers out to you. Glad you're having fun though, and although most people think Wargaming are just some greedy, yada yada company... they do pretty good things (Not looking at World of Warplanes... black sheep of WG lmbo....) and in all this community is pretty solid. WoT has an extremely toxic community, you have chosen not only the game which is honestly the most fun of the two, but the one with the most helpful, resourceful, and respectful groups that I have experienced in gaming. So far as the PvP thing goes, don't sweat it. I even love Co-Op when I need some relaxed fun, and when you play PvP, unless you're sailing around screaming "DERRRRPPPP" as you sink every allied ship... screw thinking your a hinder to your team. If you are shooting the enemy and causing damage, you're two steps ahead of some players lol.

And like batwing said if you are shooting the enemy team trust me you are waaayy ahead of some players!

Herr_Reitz #5 Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:52 AM

Captain

• Beta Testers

My condolences for you and your family. It is good you have WoWS to bring some relief to it all but be sure to keep time for the family. WoWS can get...well... addictive. 

Edited by Herr_Reitz, 10 January 2017 - 06:28 AM.

aradragoon #6 Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:54 AM

Warrant Officer

• Alpha Tester
  • In AlfaTesters

Sad to hear and I hope and pray for the best.

Gratz on all the good stuff!

Also despite the fact that we often get upset and argue on the forums when it comes to IRL things like this I find WoWS NA has a pretty tight nit community. If you need anything please don't hesitate to task or send a PM if you don't want it public as a thread.

Pigeon_of_War #7 Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:22 AM

Assistant Producer

• Developers

I'm  very sorry to hear about your family. 

It also makes me proud an happy to hear that such a game as ours helps you during trying times. if you ever want to Division, I'm only a few button clicks away.

Of course, in the Nest, if you ever have suggestions to help improve the game in anyway, me and the community are here to listen. 

(Main Avatar created by xtcmax)

(Signature avatar created by Kombat_W0MBAT)

Follow me on Twitter
Find us on Facebook!

Unabletony #8 Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:26 AM

Rear Admiral

• Members

View PostPigeon_of_War, on 09 January 2017 - 08:22 PM, said:

I'm  very sorry to hear about your family. 

It also makes me proud an happy to hear that such a game as ours helps you during trying times. if you ever want to Division, I'm only a few button clicks away.

Of course, in the Nest, if you ever have suggestions to help improve the game in anyway, me and the community are here to listen. 

He gets online and all he hears are the div requests and the sheer amount of them...

Because Hyuuga is cute~

Azuki is my catpanion~

Take that, Nyagato-sempai~!

dEsTurbed1 #9 Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:53 AM

Lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

Sorry for your losses.

I'm glad you are finding small joy in the game.

Enjoy the ships.

THIS IS NOT WORLD OF BATTLESHIPS...CRY MORE AND IT WILL BE....

"REMOVE STEALTH TORP CHEAT"-Forum topic  found 4/17

If you wanted nuetuered IJN destroyers you succeeded. You could give them 3 sec turret rotation and rail guns to 20 km...it's lack of rof and stealthy torps that are needed.

LordHood2552 #10 Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:38 AM

Petty Officer

• Members

My deep condolences to you and your family

And my congratulations to your good luck this past Christmas with these new ships

All my best wishes to a fellow Canadian

uller101 #11 Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:41 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Won't lie brother, this made me tear up a little.  Prayers out to you and your family.

Xenostryker #12 Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:43 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Supertester

My condolences on your losses.

I too find some comfort in ships when its been a horrible day at work and I need a way to de-stress (which in no way compared to the loss of family).

CG59 #13 Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:01 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Condolences. I hope that your luck will swing to the better side of things. And I hope that circumstances next year will not be as rough for you. 

K538 #14 Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:17 AM

Ensign

• Alpha Tester

I'm really sorry to hear about your family, but it put a nice bow on my day to read a post about somebody having fun and getting some cool things from the boxes!  Especially since I can relate to the weird passion that people can get about ships, as can many others around these part no doubt.  As silly as people can be sometimes, I really like the community for this game.

See you on the digital high seas!  Hopefully you'll be able to have some fun in-game to take your mind off of less happy thoughts.

AVR_Project #15 Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:18 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

This game is a great temporary escape from the troubles of the world.

I'm glad fate smiled upon you and others so well this holiday season.

Now you have all these new toys to look forward to in the times the real world doesn't require your attention.

It's also wonderful that you give thanks.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank WG as well for the 'random' rewards I got.

I haven't giggled like a child in a long time, so thank you.

So much has been lost, so much forgotten. So much pain, so much blood. And for what? I wonder. The past tempts us, the present confuses us, and the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between. But there is still time to seize that one last, fragile moment. To choose something better, to make a difference.  -- Babylon 5

CrazyHorse_Denver #16 Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:35 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

For many of us this game offers an excellent escape and relief from real life. With a touch of history filled with ships we built models of when we were kids and fell in love with, this game was a natural attraction for previously non computer game players such as ourselves.

Santa was very good to you. I wasn't quite as lucky having only picked up an Atlanta, Anshan and Blyskawica but that's 3 more ships than I had at the beginning of the event. I don't know what tech tree ships you already had but with the addition of all those premiums it must be an impressive fleet.

...Good luck and fair seas...

Edited by CrazyHorse_Denver, 10 January 2017 - 01:36 PM.

USN:Benson, Atlanta, Indianapolis, N.Orleans, Arizona, Colorado, N.Carolina, Iowa, Missouri, Ranger, Lexington, Essex

KMS:V-170, E. Gaede, Hermelin, Emden, G.Spee, Yorck, K.Albert, Scharnhorst, Gneisenau, Bismarck, F.DerGrobe

VMF:Gnevny, Leningrad, Svietlana, Murmansk, Budyonny, Shchors, Mikhail Kutuzov

IJN:Isokaze, Akatsuki, Ishizuchi, Fuso, Amagi, Izumo, Ryujo, Hiryu, Shokaku, ARP Nachi, ARP Takao, ARP Kirishima

RN:Campbeltown, Black Swan, Fiji, Edinburgh, Warspite  Misc. Anshan, Blyskawica, LaGalissonnie, 

Santana2sff #17 Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:28 PM

Seaman

• Members

Thanks for sharing, the very best to you, and your family. I know we all have a tendency to get mad at WOW, but i truly believe it's because we all understand we have an awesome community, and a great game, and only want to make it better.

It is time to ponder a bit and say heartfelt thanks to all the hard workers at World of warships. We should all stop and be thankful to them. I know I rant once and a while but once again it's because of the quality of the game.

InventedThought #18 Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:14 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Condolences on your loss. I pulled a Marblehead, Texas, Atlanta, Sims, Murmansk, Blyskawika, about 2500 doubloons that I spent on a Konig Albert,  and a bunch of flags and cammo. Wg Gave us players an awesome X-mas Thanks to them we all get to have some fun. Now if I can just get the cruiser and DD play down pat my teams will have an easier time getting those WinRates up. Thanks from this end WG. And best of luck to you OP. +1

Every one starts out with a bag of luck and an empty bag of XP.

The trick is to fill the bag with XP before the luck runs out! - The Darwin awards II

Loco_lucas #19 Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:14 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Good story. Glad to hear that something as simple as a free game can bring so much joy to someone who has to face the trials you have. Like you, I've watched this game since the start of Alpha. I applied for a Beta invite, but didn't get one. If only I knew you could buy a prem for an invite. then maybe I would have been here to grab a Nikolai :) Hope to see you continue sailing on the high sees, And watch for my planes!

Panzerstecher #20 Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:17 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

Damn man...sorry to read about the losses in your family.  I do know how it is....especially pinching and saving the pennies for something you like to do.

I was a little fortunate this year;  Since 2009 I'd had my wife, kids, mother in law, parents, brothers, and numerous friends on my [edited]about putting in for a VA disability.  Well I finally did it last year, and I heard back on it after about 6 months.  After all said and done the kids had a good Christmas, I was able to pay off a lot of bills, and I finally have been able to conduct an upgrade on my 12 year old desktop, with a little left over for a pickup that is sorely needed, and a vacation that we have never been able to take.  I made it a point as well to help a couple of friends that have been there for me over the years too.  

Keep your chin up...stay positive.  Thing happen for a reason;  I'm not really a religious man, but I have really come to learn that the Good Lord does run things (case in point is above...until this happened I was constantly fretting on how I was going to make ends meet every month), He does them for a reason, but generally you don't know what the plan is until it unfolds.  Trust him to make it work, and it does.  It took me a very long time to realise that.

This particular community is among the best in the gaming communities I have seen....sure there are some little spats and differences in opinions, but its really good, and that in itself is what keeps me coming back here.

Edited by Panzerstecher, 11 January 2017 - 07:23 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users