How Detonations Work

detonations its not going away heres how it works flame shield on

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

TTK_Aegis #41 Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:20 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

Detonations are hilarious when they happen to the other guy, and the only thing in gaming that gives me a legitimate startle when it happens to me. Larger (and louder hopefully) explosions resulting from them would make both of these factors even better. 

rapier_ape #42 Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:28 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

View PostMoonrider, on 03 January 2017 - 07:38 PM, said:

YOU are 100% wrong. From the Wargaming wiki:

-100% to the risk of your ship's magazine detonating.

Note: This flag will nullify all chances of you detonating, regardless of additional flags that increase your chance of detonating (India X-Ray and Juliet Whiskey Unaone).

Edited. I was going off something from youtube that seemed credible. 

LittleWhiteMouse #43 Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:45 PM

Captain

• WoWS Community Contributors
  • Members
    Beta Testers

Thank you for the explanation, Pigeon.  I can cross this one off my list of mechanics whose details were bugging me.  It's also neat to see that the research done by some players got pretty close to the mark on pinning down how this worked. 

In approximately one game in five, I will ruin someone's match by blowing their ship out from under them, suddenly and dramatically.

It's no secret that I love detonations and causing high-damage alpha strikes with torpedo strikes or multiple citadels.  I celebrate when I cause one and laugh when one happens to me.  I deliberately go out of my way to try and cause them.  I'm very much looking forward to them getting some good press finally when the visuals change.  Could it be that we might see them updated in 0.6.0 or 0.6.1?  Please, please, pretty please? 

Q♥  Most Recent Review: HMS Hood

Pigeon_of_War #44 Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:48 PM

Assistant Producer

• Developers

View PostLittleWhiteMouse, on 03 January 2017 - 02:45 PM, said:

Could it be that we might see them updated in 0.6.0 or 0.6.1?  Please, please, pretty please? 

Good things take time. 

That's all I'll say about that :tea_cap:

(Main Avatar created by xtcmax)

(Signature avatar created by Kombat_W0MBAT)

Follow me on Twitter
Find us on Facebook!

ArchMadman #45 Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:00 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

in the 6 hundred and something games I've played i detonated i think 23 people but i only have been detonated twice and i haven't been detonated since may 5 of 2016, so it's been a long time since i got blown up in a shot so im not really complaining (Knock on wood) 

I always lose my first battle, always

Umikami #46 Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:15 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers

I don't enjoy detonations.

I do, however, think they are a part of the game and belong there because it brings a better sense of realism to the gameplay.

So, if you are asking my opinion, I would want them to stay.

(and you could make the explosions a bit more, well ... , spectacular, memorable, intense.)

and thanks for all the other fun stuff, too!

mohawkdriver #47 Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:18 AM

Commander

• Members

View PostMexicanPanda, on 03 January 2017 - 05:03 PM, said:

Wait wait wait, who on earth wants detonations to stay? I want direct quotes in context before I believe that.

I do.  And that's a quote.

K538 #48 Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:51 AM

Ensign

• Alpha Tester

View PostMexicanPanda, on 03 January 2017 - 12:03 PM, said:

Wait wait wait, who on earth wants detonations to stay? I want direct quotes in context before I believe that.

This is a bit of an old topic, but I do.

I could go on about why, but in essence they're so infrequent that they're really more of an element of colour than they are a game changing mechanic as far as I'm concerned.  The difference between realistic and gamey mechanics is somewhat arbitrary at times so I'm open to the alternative point of view but I've yet to be convinced that they're actually a problem in any real way other than a more general argument that there should be no probability based mechanics in the game at all, but I don't think that would be much fun either. This isn't a mechanic that bothers me very much so it's worth the surprise/variety to me.

Given how infrequent they are, I like the idea that they're going to be made a bit more... exciting.  And now that they've been explained in detail it's hard to even say that they're random.  There's a definite and fairly easily understood logic to how they happen.  Detonations not really any more arbitrary/random than citadel damage and less so than fire chance as far as I'm concerned.

MexicanPanda #49 Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:13 AM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Beta Testers

View PostBrushWolf, on 03 January 2017 - 03:11 PM, said:

One shot volleys without a detonation are not exactly fun either so I suppose you will want them removed next. Most detonations and one shot volleys are because you made a mistake, quit giving the enemy easy shots.

Edit: I am open to removing detonations from the game but I doubt the DD players would consider having their citadels back in return a good deal.

One shot volleys require someone to make a massive mistake and some one else to take a well aimed shot and get lucky with RNG. Detonations require neither of these. One random shell from any angle can detonate someone and even secondaries can cause them. There is a massive difference between a detonation and citadeling someone out of existence.

Aduial #50 Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:35 AM

Rear Admiral

• Members

View PostBrushWolf, on 03 January 2017 - 09:33 AM, said:

Why not keep them. At least you get a few flags instead of nothing when you are vaporized by a huge strike and they are rare even without the flag or upgrade.

I don't mean to be rude, but that is completely illogical. So you are fine with being instantly vaporized, because you get flags that will stop you from getting instantly vaporized? That's rather a large internal contradiction in your statement. 

View PostTTK_Aegis, on 03 January 2017 - 01:20 PM, said:

Detonations are hilarious when they happen to the other guy, and the only thing in gaming that gives me a legitimate startle when it happens to me. Larger (and louder hopefully) explosions resulting from them would make both of these factors even better. 

Well even though I dislike detonations (a lot), I guess I would be somewhat happier if there was a larger explosion. It's annoying how you can be instantly deleted by RNG like that, yet get nothing but a minuscule explosion. 

My terrible stats:

My Favorite ships: Mogami,  Clemson, T8 Fubuki, Mikasa, Gneisenau, Fletcher

Aduial's commander build recommendations (post 0.6.0)               Remove Detonations from Ranked battles                 Rebalancing Aircraft Loadouts          Repair Party for Tier 8 Cruisers?           Strafing:           Suggestion about carrier MM          

virus_SHAME #51 Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:36 AM

Seaman

• Members

View PostMexicanPanda, on 04 January 2017 - 07:13 AM, said:

One random shell from any angle can detonate someone and even secondaries can cause them.

^

One of my more confusing kills was me detonating a Mahan in my Scharnhorst with secondaries.  I was busy dealing with a cruiser when suddenly I get a CQE, took me a second to figure out who I killed.

Gramzon_the_Dragon #52 Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:57 AM

Petty Officer

• Members

Why do destroyers seem to detonate the most? Is it just thin armor?

Also, does hitting a torpedo tube count as a hit against a magazine? I can't recall ever getting detonated in my USN high tier cruisers.

I'm a le scaley, you can deal with it. Rawr.

alexf24 #53 Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:25 PM

Captain

• Members

I also have stated on the record, multiple times, that I do not mind detonations. What I do mind, and should be changed is getting detonation flags only once per day. It is bad enough getting detonated, but the second one gets you nothing in return.

As per Marvin's request for a Kaboom! I second that.

I shoot an arrow in the air, where it lands I do not care, I get my arrows wholesale -- Curly Howard (with a wink to Longfellow)

Kerrec #54 Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:39 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

As Detonations are here to stay, I would ask that they are tied to some other action/result that can have a counter.  For example, require the main guns/torpedo tubes to be disabled before a chance to detonate can occur.  Even raise the chance to detonate to compensate.  That way a Repair Party consumable allows an aware player to counter the chance to be detonated if they can't angle the affected gun away from incoming fire.  And as the repair party is used for many things, like fires and flooding, good smart use of the consumable rewards good smart players.

That was an example, by all means implement any idea that allows for a counter.

And make it spectacular. 

Edited by Kerrec, 04 January 2017 - 12:39 PM.

Urandas #55 Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:23 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

IMO detonations are a really bad mechanic. Nothing deters you from going into another fight like getting hit with a case of fun and engaging mechanics. Please WG, take steps to remove more RNG from your game.

Sotaudi #56 Posted 04 January 2017 - 03:35 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

View PostMexicanPanda, on 03 January 2017 - 09:43 AM, said:

Why keep them? Then we can get rid of the flags and upgrades and not ever have to worry about taking one random hit and go from full health to zero. They are not "fun and engaging" as WG claims they are. They are just silly.

"Fun and engaging mechanics, my @@@!"  Ralph Kerr, Captain, HMS Hood, May 24, 1941.

Pigeon_of_War #57 Posted 04 January 2017 - 04:06 PM

Assistant Producer

• Developers

View PostGramzon_the_Dragon, on 04 January 2017 - 03:57 AM, said:

Why do destroyers seem to detonate the most? Is it just thin armor?

Also, does hitting a torpedo tube count as a hit against a magazine? I can't recall ever getting detonated in my USN high tier cruisers.

Most Destroyers have no armor on their magazines, thus chance of detonation is by default increased.

(Main Avatar created by xtcmax)

(Signature avatar created by Kombat_W0MBAT)

Follow me on Twitter
Find us on Facebook!

wadavid #58 Posted 04 January 2017 - 04:07 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostKerrec, on 04 January 2017 - 12:39 PM, said:

As Detonations are here to stay, I would ask that they are tied to some other action/result that can have a counter.  For example, require the main guns/torpedo tubes to be disabled before a chance to detonate can occur.  Even raise the chance to detonate to compensate.  That way a Repair Party consumable allows an aware player to counter the chance to be detonated if they can't angle the affected gun away from incoming fire.  And as the repair party is used for many things, like fires and flooding, good smart use of the consumable rewards good smart players.

That was an example, by all means implement any idea that allows for a counter.

And make it spectacular. 

This is a really good idea; keep them, but in a way that allows skill-based counter-measures.

IKU19 #59 Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:18 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers

Here's an interesting question

With the flags that increase fire and flooding chance, they also increase detonation chance by like what, 5%?

Does the Juliet Charlie flag override that (still giving a 100% reduction,) or work in tandem with it (giving only a 90% reduction)

WarGaming, can I have Kitakami?

Wannabe-captain of NCC-1701-D

50 DKP MINUS

Muki41 #60 Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:28 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Why is it I still get detonated with the Juliet Charlie flag on in an DD?, I don't run the other flags that increase detonation chance

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users