How Detonations Work

detonations its not going away heres how it works flame shield on

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

BrushWolf #21 Posted 03 January 2017 - 05:33 PM

Rear Admiral

• Alpha Tester

View Postkerensky914, on 03 January 2017 - 11:24 AM, said:

Considering that every poll (and there have been quite a few) always end up with "keep detonations" winning over "do away with detonations" I'd say that is proof enough.  But if it is a direct quote you want, I for one have said on record in multiple threads that I prefer having detonations.

View PostMexicanPanda, on 03 January 2017 - 11:27 AM, said:

Y'all are nuts.

Why not keep them. At least you get a few flags instead of nothing when you are vaporized by a huge strike and they are rare even without the flag or upgrade.

Ich lasse mir doch nicht mein Schiff unter dem Arsch wegschießen. Feuererlaubnis! (I'm not letting my ship get shot out from under my arse. Open fire!) Ernst Lindemann Captain KMS Bismarck

AVR_Project #22 Posted 03 January 2017 - 05:41 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

In larger vessels, I'm taking the anti-detonation module, but DDs and light cruisers get the flags, and the weapons protection module.

Getting a gun knocked out isn't as big a deal on the larger ships due to the long reload times.

On the smaller ones, that's a huge chunk of immediately needed DPS - as you are usually in an intense fire fight when it happens.

As with any problem - learn to deal with it, adapt, and move on.

So much has been lost, so much forgotten. So much pain, so much blood. And for what? I wonder. The past tempts us, the present confuses us, and the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between. But there is still time to seize that one last, fragile moment. To choose something better, to make a difference.  -- Babylon 5

MexicanPanda #23 Posted 03 January 2017 - 05:43 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Beta Testers

View PostBrushWolf, on 03 January 2017 - 12:33 PM, said:

Why not keep them. At least you get a few flags instead of nothing when you are vaporized by a huge strike and they are rare even without the flag or upgrade.

Why keep them? Then we can get rid of the flags and upgrades and not ever have to worry about taking one random hit and go from full health to zero. They are not "fun and engaging" as WG claims they are. They are just silly.

RedSeaBear #24 Posted 03 January 2017 - 05:48 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

It had to be done. 

~Admiral of the Sinksalot Fleet~

ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

TeamFire Lighting the way to Victory

Pigeon_of_War #25 Posted 03 January 2017 - 05:51 PM

Assistant Producer

• Developers

View PostRedSeaBear, on 03 January 2017 - 09:48 AM, said:

It had to be done. 

The difference between mine and the rest:

This originally started as a Explanation Thread. Though I will so going forward, i would like to keep it that way. If it begins to turn into one of those opinion threads, posts will start disappearing. 

(Main Avatar created by xtcmax)

(Signature avatar created by Kombat_W0MBAT)

Follow me on Twitter
Find us on Facebook!

RedSeaBear #26 Posted 03 January 2017 - 05:53 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View PostPigeon_of_War, on 03 January 2017 - 11:51 AM, said:

The difference between mine and the rest:

This originally started as a Explanation Thread. Though I will so going forward, i would like to keep it that way. If it begins to turn into one of those opinion threads, posts will start disappearing. 

:facepalm: Obvious joke isn't obvious. Will try do better next time. 

~Admiral of the Sinksalot Fleet~

ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

TeamFire Lighting the way to Victory

Pigeon_of_War #27 Posted 03 January 2017 - 05:59 PM

Assistant Producer

• Developers

View PostRedSeaBear, on 03 January 2017 - 09:53 AM, said:

:facepalm: Obvious joke isn't obvious. Will try do better next time. 

Oh no please, don't take it the wrong way. I got the joke. I was referring to others in the thread steering this into an opinion thread. 

(Main Avatar created by xtcmax)

(Signature avatar created by Kombat_W0MBAT)

Follow me on Twitter
Find us on Facebook!

Kinetic_Strike #28 Posted 03 January 2017 - 06:23 PM

Seaman

• Members

Pretty sure I knew most of this, but thanks!

One of the most memorable detonations I experienced was an Iso- or Minekaze shooting one ~18k HE shell of doom at my Murmank's bow and detonating me.  :P

The only other damage I had really taken was...a torpedo a few minutes earlier, directly under the front turrets. Funny how that works.

rapier_ape #29 Posted 03 January 2017 - 06:26 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

Seems perfectly reasonable. As per the people saying Juliet Charlie doesn't prevent detonations 100% of the time, they are correct, but the circumstances needed to cause that scenario happen back in port. If you arm with a Juliet Charlie AND some of the flags which raise the chance of detonation, the JC doesn't cancel out the effects. The product of any number and zero doesn't equal zero in this case. What I don't know is to what degree is the chance of detonation minimized in such a configuration. It may be that the the JC is completely negated, or it may reduce the chance drastically. 

.Disregard that. Wiki alleges this is not the case, and I will take that as fact over the anecdotal evidence. 

On a related note, I once had my Atlanta detonated by the first shell to hit it, a HE round from an Aoba, in perhaps the most embarrassing zero damage game of my career. As fate would have it, my first supercontainer had 250 JCs, so my little 5" magazines will be safe for a long time to come :)

Edited by rapier_ape, 03 January 2017 - 09:27 PM.

Xenostryker #30 Posted 03 January 2017 - 06:48 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Supertester

Thanks for the explanation of how these work... 

It wont stop the salt from pouring from a Yammy driver who got detonated from full health... :D (seen it twice, both were div mates and both were beyond angry. Massive TS rage... LOL)

Special_Kay #31 Posted 03 January 2017 - 06:59 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers

View PostSyndicatedINC, on 03 January 2017 - 12:07 PM, said:

Thanks for the official explanation.  

The size of the AoE of splash damage from HE/Torp/Bomb and if it can/how it does pass through objects (such as hull and modules), are those values simply unpublished, or is that data confidential?

I can't speak for torpedoes, but the blast from HE shells "penetrate" to 1/6 of their calibre, or 1/4 in the case of German battleship shells. We know this from Sub_Octavian's forum Q&A. Basically, if the armour is thicker than the blast, the blast doesn't "reach" anything to damage it.

I am on vacation through June and into July 2017. There will be stretches where I am around infrequently, interspersed with stretches of complete absence.
Learn how to quantify the effect of fire chance modifications!

Enable replays! You never know when you will discover a bug or witness someone exploiting or being abusive, and demonstrating it to WG staff is much more difficult without a replay.

wadavid #32 Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:17 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

The original explanation of the mechanic was a bit off, as it got bogged down in armor/hp pool stats.

For those of you who don't have guns accurate enough to repeatedly aim at and hit a specific module deep inside a ship that's only a few pixels wide, here's how detonations actually work:

Hope this helps clarify.

Content Moderated By Njourour.

Edited by Njourour, 03 January 2017 - 10:46 PM.

SyndicatedINC #33 Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:19 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostSpecial_Kay, on 03 January 2017 - 01:59 PM, said:

I can't speak for torpedoes, but the blast from HE shells "penetrate" to 1/6 of their calibre, or 1/4 in the case of German battleship shells. We know this from Sub_Octavian's forum Q&A. Basically, if the armour is thicker than the blast, the blast doesn't "reach" anything to damage it.

Thank you, I recall the Q&A but is penetrate the same as the blast area or just the thickness of armor it will punch through?  Also what about modules, are they counted as their armor value and/or size only or does their HP pool slow down the blast?

"If you won a chess game because the other player had a heart attack during the match, how proud would you be of your victory?

Did you really "win"? That's what it's like, imho." -wadavid (regarding victory by detonating an opponent)

Morpheous #34 Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:28 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

View PostMexicanPanda, on 03 January 2017 - 08:03 AM, said:

Wait wait wait, who on earth wants detonations to stay? I want direct quotes in context before I believe that.

I want detonations, I have advocated many times for more spectacular and impressive BOOMs, earth shattering!   Detonations were a real part of navel warfare, even with sailing ships... so get used to it, and learn to LOVE it, it will happen to you, but you will get to dish some out too and yesterday I detonated a full health DD with my German DD and it was... COOL!!

CorvusBB39 #35 Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:38 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostBrushWolf, on 03 January 2017 - 10:33 AM, said:

Heh.  When starting the day I play a couple Co-op tier I battles to see if my shootin' eye is in good form before getting serious.  A couple days ago a red and I spotted each other bow on at max range.  My first pair missed, my second erased him.  I confirmed in the after battle report, two HE for umpty-ump damage.  "Cool," I thought.  The very next battle, the same thing happened only I was on the receiving end.  Not so cool, and because it was Co-op, no flags.  :(

Moonrider #36 Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:38 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View Postrapier_ape, on 03 January 2017 - 01:26 PM, said:

As per the people saying Juliet Charlie doesn't prevent detonations 100% of the time, they are correct, but the circumstances needed to cause that scenario happen back in port. If you arm with a Juliet Charlie AND some of the flags which raise the chance of detonation, the JC doesn't cancel out the effects. 

YOU are 100% wrong. From the Wargaming wiki:

-100% to the risk of your ship's magazine detonating.

Note: This flag will nullify all chances of you detonating, regardless of additional flags that increase your chance of detonating (India X-Ray and Juliet Whiskey Unaone).

Boats and ships are female because they are beautiful, lovable, expensive—and unpredictable.

Special_Kay #37 Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:39 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers

View PostSyndicatedINC, on 03 January 2017 - 02:19 PM, said:

Thank you, I recall the Q&A but is penetrate the same as the blast area or just the thickness of armor it will punch through?  Also what about modules, are they counted as their armor value and/or size only or does their HP pool slow down the blast?

I am assuming that the blast radius is the penetration depth, because that is what makes sense to me in terms of "penetration" given the projectiles are fused to detonate on contact. I am fairly sure collision meshes of any sort stop an HE shell, and thick enough armour is the only thing which can defeat the resultant blast. Frankly most modules don't have an armour value per se. Hit points, yes.

I am on vacation through June and into July 2017. There will be stretches where I am around infrequently, interspersed with stretches of complete absence.
Learn how to quantify the effect of fire chance modifications!

Enable replays! You never know when you will discover a bug or witness someone exploiting or being abusive, and demonstrating it to WG staff is much more difficult without a replay.

wadavid #38 Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:43 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostMorpheous, on 03 January 2017 - 07:28 PM, said:

Detonations were a real part of navel warfare

So was having your engine permanently (at least for the duration of a WoWs battle, even taking time compression into account) disabled. So was having your main fire control radar permanently damaged, reducing gun accuracy to nearly useless levels. So was having your rudder permanently jammed. So was some silly percentage of USN torpedoes not working. So was single-digit main gun accuracy. Etc.

Detonations are staying in the game, so you win. Yay. But the argument that it's a great idea "because they were real" makes no sense, as there are about a billion things that were real that would make the game worse/unplayable. No one will ever agree on the perfect skill/chance balance for this game (that is, after all, what this discussion boils down to), so there's no point trying. But it would be best to use arguments that at least make sense. "I like when ships randomly blow up" is a valid opinion. It is not my opinion, but others are entitled to feel that way. "It must be good because it happened in real naval warfare" is a bizarre argument, because this game would be unplayably boring/arbitrary if it was remotely realistic.

Enjoy your random, skill-less ship deletions.

BrushWolf #39 Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:11 PM

Rear Admiral

• Alpha Tester

View PostMexicanPanda, on 03 January 2017 - 11:43 AM, said:

Why keep them? Then we can get rid of the flags and upgrades and not ever have to worry about taking one random hit and go from full health to zero. They are not "fun and engaging" as WG claims they are. They are just silly.

One shot volleys without a detonation are not exactly fun either so I suppose you will want them removed next. Most detonations and one shot volleys are because you made a mistake, quit giving the enemy easy shots.

Edit: I am open to removing detonations from the game but I doubt the DD players would consider having their citadels back in return a good deal.

Edited by BrushWolf, 03 January 2017 - 08:16 PM.

Ich lasse mir doch nicht mein Schiff unter dem Arsch wegschießen. Feuererlaubnis! (I'm not letting my ship get shot out from under my arse. Open fire!) Ernst Lindemann Captain KMS Bismarck

mrmariokartguy #40 Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:45 PM

Petty Officer

• WoWS Wiki Editor

Detonations are an awful game mechanic, but some people want more realism than others so here we are

Edited by mrmariokartguy, 03 January 2017 - 08:46 PM.

If you try to message me on forums it might take me a month to respond. If you desperately need me, then poke me here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users