Lots of players on the forums like to demand that detonations go away. Lots players on the forums would like to see them stay.
Well, since detonations are not going anywhere anytime soon (though they may get a rather, we'll say large visibility improvement), I have been told I am allowed to reveal how they work, though many figured it out a while ago, it's nice to have more official information.
So here are the details:
- Each ship (battleship, destroyer or cruiser) has magazine modules. Each time the module receives damage, detonation chance is calculated.
- The chance of detonation increases with damage taken to the magazine modules. Magazine modules are similar to other internal modules like engines - it has some protection and can be damaged with direct AP hit or close HE/Torpedo explosion (splash damage).
- When a magazine loses all of its hit-points, the chance of detonation increases to its maximum value (however, it is still not 100%). The relation between magazine hit-points and explosion chance is set for each ship individually.
Flags and Modules can reduce your detonation chance. Examples include:
- The signal flag Juliet Charlie reduces the chance to 0% in all scenarios.
- The equipment Magazine Mod.1 gives it 0.3 multiplier.