Note: I want to start a new series of topics on ship reviews in which I look over how a ship performs and how to play she based on those characteristics. I am relatively inexperienced in analyzing ships, so feel free to criticize me. Yes I took inspiration from LittleWhiteMouse, but I'm going for a different approach. I also am seriously obsessed with visual elements, so there are a lot of charts and tables.
After about six weeks of working (mostly in school), I finally did it: My first guide! Please note that sarcasm in this guide is very prevalent and take most of my statements with a grain a salt. I’ve got a lot of jokes ready. So grab your reading glasses and a bottle of vodka, because it’s about to get Russian!
Disclaimer: LittleWhiteMouse doesn't hold a copyright with her guides, so please don't say I ripped off of her guides. I also asked her first if I could write a guide.
Guide Written as of Patch 0.5.16.1
Project 66 Heavy Cruiser
The Stalinium Cruiser
The Numbers and Stats
Quick Summary: Tier X Russian (Battle)cruiser who holds a lot of records. Guns have the record for the longest base range and highest velocity for a cruiser. Also has the highest HP for a cruiser, rivaling Tier VIII Battleships. In return she has the worst concealment for a cruiser and probably the worst maneuverability too.
Most Relatable Ship: None I can think of easily. Maybe a Russian Battleship when they come out.
Moskva is a rapid-fire support battleship to me. Her role reminds me of the mid-tier Japanese Battleships: bad concealment, long range, and relatively high speed. However, she is also like Scharnhorst: rapid-fire, anti-cruiser guns. Not to mention she is like Iowa, with a relative high speed and a giant citadel that is half of the belt.
Cost: 19,500,000 Ca$h, assuming you have researched her.
- Stalin-Flavored ShellsTM
- Railguns with 985 m/s shell velocity, you can smack people at max range with ease.
- 11.7 km radar means you can surprise destroyers (and concealment-built cruisers) at a longer range.
- Decently fast-firing guns
- Long, narrow hull means you can bounce AP more easily*
- She has best armor of any cruiser with almost 300mm on the turret faceplates, and it’s StaliniumTM**
- Battleship-sized HP
- Deceptively fast for her size with the 3rd highest horsepower rating in the game at 210,000.
- Don’t know if this counts as a strength, but she has 6.5 km secondary range.
- Standard Soviet AA Defense System will provide decent protection against planes, defensive fire will deter them if they are smart.
- It favors this server’s meta of sniping, so your performance will be good if you play her right.
- AP will bounce really easily, because Russian AP cries every time it doesn’t hit anything perfectly broadside.
- Does not have torpedoes, makes close-range brawling a death sentence usually.
- Your 18 km concealment rivals Saint Basil’s Cathedral in Red Square.
- Turns worse than the Soviet Union’s economy.
- Hull is longer than Russia.
- Lacks battleship-sized armor, so that battleship-sized HP is seen as free damage by your enemies.
- Citadel is the size and height of Iowa’s, but with less protection.***
- Without defensive fire, the AA guns are about as effective as Stalin’s Five-Year-Plans on the Soviet economy.
- It’s a Tier X, so she still eats up your credits unless you have the permanent camouflage.
*Not guaranteed for all AP. I do not take responsibility if you happen to get lolpenned because you thought you were invincible.
**Well, Russian ships usually don’t have armor, they survive because AP gloriously overpenetrates. She does have good armor though, enough to prevent long-range citadels, but definitely not enough to stop citadels at mid to close range.
***Although StaliniumTM is stronker than Capitalist SteelTM, it doesn’t save you. StaliniumTM armor doesn’t fix stupidity, don’t show your broadside.
The More Serious Review
I had to cut out the strategy and customization, I put it in a reply below.
Edited by ValkyrWarframe, 02 January 2017 - 10:56 PM.