Valkyr's Ship Guides: Moskva

moskva ship guide stalinium

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

ValkyrWarframe #1 Posted 29 December 2016 - 03:21 AM

Commander

• Members

Note: I want to start a new series of topics on ship reviews in which I look over how a ship performs and how to play she based on those characteristics.  I am relatively inexperienced in analyzing ships, so feel free to criticize me.  Yes I took inspiration from LittleWhiteMouse, but I'm going for a different approach.  I also am seriously obsessed with visual elements, so there are a lot of charts and tables.

After about six weeks of working (mostly in school), I finally did it: My first guide!  Please note that sarcasm in this guide is very prevalent and take most of my statements with a grain a salt.  I’ve got a lot of jokes ready.  So grab your reading glasses and a bottle of vodka, because it’s about to get Russian!

Disclaimer: LittleWhiteMouse doesn't hold a copyright with her guides, so please don't say I ripped off of her guides.  I also asked her first if I could write a guide.

Guide Written as of Patch 0.5.16.1 Updated for 0.6.0

Project 66 Heavy Cruiser 

Moskva

The Stalinium Cruiser

Posted Image

Moskva sitting on the East River in New York City, a rather ironic place to be considering her origins.

The Numbers and Stats

Quick Summary: Tier X Russian (Battle)cruiser who holds a lot of records.  Guns have the record for the longest base range and highest velocity for a cruiser.  Also has the highest HP for a cruiser, rivaling Tier VIII Battleships.  In return she has the worst concealment for a cruiser and probably the worst maneuverability too.

Most Relatable Ship: Scharnhorst

Resemblance: Clone / Sister-Ship / Related Class / Similar Role / Unique

Moskva is a rapid-fire support battleship to me.  Her role reminds me of the mid-tier Japanese Battleships: bad concealment, long range, and relatively high speed. However, she is also like Scharnhorst: rapid-fire, anti-cruiser guns that are pretty good firestarters.  She also has an angling profile similar to her class, but not exactly.  She also is like Iowa, with a relative high speed and a giant citadel that is halfway up the main belt.  It's pretty difficult to make an accurate comparison to her.

Now onto the skill requirements.

For those of you who don’t know what these are, “skill floor” is the experience needed to play the ship at an average performance.  “Skill ceiling” is the experience needed to play above average.

Skill Floor: Low / Low-Medium / Medium / Medium-High / High / Extreme

Skill Ceiling: Low / Low-Medium / Medium / Medium-High / High / Extreme

Moskva looks easy to play, and is relatively easy to just do mediocre.  Running around and being a super-annoying guy with your 19.4 km range is pretty simple, but that doesn't always work.  You might be able to do server average damage, but server average is not what most people at this tier look for.  There are techniques that seem simple in theory, but are very difficult to pull off in practice.

The main technique that one needs to know in this ship is the ability to bow-tank, with very unforgiving angles.  It's not even direct bow-tanking, you have to expose just a bit of your broadside to bounce shells off your thicker main belt, not the 25 mm bow that is useless against battleship AP.  Think of her like Scharnhorst or Gneisenau, where they get overmatched by same tier battleships.  The main deck and upper belt are 50 mm, which is enough to bounce any AP you see.  However, staying at max range is not an option, since you cannot support your team effectively.  Don't get too close either, or battleship AP will start penetrating the 25 mm bow.  You also shouldn't be the lead ship, unless all the battleships are dead.  In addition, pushing too much will lead to people getting your broadside, which is a death sentence.  It's hard to explain, and personally I did not get the hang of it for a while.

Cost: 19,500,000 Ca$h, assuming you have researched her.

Strengths:

• Stalin-Flavored ShellsTM
  • Railguns with 985 m/s shell velocity, you can smack people at max range with ease.
  • 11.7 km radar means you can surprise destroyers (and concealment-built cruisers) at a longer range.
  • Decently fast-firing guns
  • Long, narrow hull means you can bounce AP more easily*
  • 50 mm of deck armor around the vital areas means invulnerability to most AP at long range.
  • She has best armor of any cruiser with almost 300mm on the turret faceplates, and it’s StaliniumTM**
  • Battleship-sized HP
  • Deceptively fast for her size with the 3rd highest horsepower rating in the game at 210,000.
  • Don’t know if this counts as a strength, but she has 6.5 km secondary range.
  • Standard Soviet AA Defense System will provide decent protection against planes, defensive fire will deter them if they are smart.
  • It favors this server’s meta of sniping, so your performance will be good if you play her right.

Weaknesses

• AP will bounce really easily, because Russian AP cries every time it doesn’t hit anything perfectly broadside.
  • Does not have torpedoes, makes close-range brawling a death sentence usually.
  • Your 18 km concealment rivals Saint Basil’s Cathedral in Red Square.
  • Turns worse than the Soviet Union’s economy.
  • Hull is longer than Russia.
  • Lacks battleship-sized armor, so that battleship-sized HP is seen as free damage by your enemies.
  • Citadel is the size and height of Iowa’s, but with less protection.***
  • Without defensive fire, the AA guns are about as effective as Stalin’s Five-Year-Plans on the Soviet economy.
  • It’s a Tier X, so she still eats up your credits unless you have the permanent camouflage.

*Not guaranteed for all AP.  I do not take responsibility if you happen to get lolpenned because you thought you were invincible.

**Well, Russian ships usually don’t have armor, they survive because AP gloriously overpenetrates.  She does have good armor though, enough to prevent long-range citadels, but definitely not enough to stop citadels at mid to close range.

***Although StaliniumTM is stronker than Capitalist SteelTM, it doesn’t save you.  StaliniumTM armor doesn’t fix stupidity, don’t show your broadside.

The More Serious Review

Spoiler

I had to cut out the strategy and customization, I put it in a reply below.

Edited by ValkyrWarframe, 17 February 2017 - 07:41 PM.

*In top 50 players on the server 

USN: Clemson, Benson, St. Louis, Cleveland, Atlanta* (Gift from an Anonymous User), New Orleans, New York, North Carolina, Strike Bogue, Strike Ranger, Lexington

IJN/Fleet of Fog: Hatsuharu, Kagero, Furutaka, ARP Ashigara/Haguro/Myoko/Nachi Mogami, ARP Takao, Mikasa, ARP Haruna/Hiei/Kirishima/KongouNagamon, Amagi, Ryujo

Soviet Union/Russia/Royal Navy: Kiev, Ognevoi, Svietlana*, Kirov*(My Guide), Chapayev, Dmitri Donskoi, Moskva* (My Guide)Black Swan (kek), Fiji, Edinburgh

Kriegsmarine/Marine NationaleT-22Konigsberg, Admiral Graf Spee, Yorck, Nassau, Gneisenau, Dunkerque (Gift from TenguBlade)

ValkyrWarframe #2 Posted 29 December 2016 - 03:23 AM

Commander

• Members

Ok, let's pick up where the post cut out.  Formatting got real messed up, sorry.

Strategy

Spoiler

Customization

Spoiler

Worth the Grind to Tier X?  I obviously would say yes because she is my only Tier X so far.  She does favor the meta on this server, but she also gets shot at a ton because she’s a big unarmored battleship that screams free damage to all of the Zaos and Khabarovsks and Yamatos.  However, based on how well she can do when played right, I would definitely consider her one of the best ships at Tier X.

Well, thanks for reading my guide!  If you have any questions, comments, or criticism, please put it below.

Edited by ValkyrWarframe, 25 January 2017 - 04:52 PM.

USN: Clemson, Benson, St. Louis, Cleveland, Atlanta* (Gift from an Anonymous User), New Orleans, New York, North Carolina, Strike Bogue, Strike Ranger, Lexington

IJN/Fleet of Fog: Hatsuharu, Kagero, Furutaka, ARP Ashigara/Haguro/Myoko/Nachi Mogami, ARP Takao, Mikasa, ARP Haruna/Hiei/Kirishima/KongouNagamon, Amagi, Ryujo

Soviet Union/Russia/Royal Navy: Kiev, Ognevoi, Svietlana*, Kirov*(My Guide), Chapayev, Dmitri Donskoi, Moskva* (My Guide)Black Swan (kek), Fiji, Edinburgh

Kriegsmarine/Marine NationaleT-22Konigsberg, Admiral Graf Spee, Yorck, Nassau, Gneisenau, Dunkerque (Gift from TenguBlade)

SKT1_Rain #3 Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:44 AM

Seaman

• Members

This is guide is awesome.

ValkyrWarframe #4 Posted 03 January 2017 - 04:31 AM

Commander

• Members

View PostSKT1_Rain, on 02 January 2017 - 08:44 PM, said:

This is guide is awesome.

Thanks!

brandy00 #5 Posted 03 January 2017 - 06:38 AM

Petty Officer

• Members

Good write up 

appericate it..this is my fav TX ship along with the khab

if you ever want to div up and run dual moskva shoot me a tell

ValkyrWarframe #6 Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:09 PM

Commander

• Members

View Postbrandy00, on 03 January 2017 - 01:38 AM, said:

Good write up 

appericate it..this is my fav TX ship along with the khab

if you ever want to div up and run dual moskva shoot me a tell

Sure!  I'll add you as a contact.

Aduial #7 Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:39 AM

Rear Admiral

• Members

Posted Image

So the Moskva can pretty much citadel anything other than a Yamato or Montana starting at 10km. 

My terrible stats:

My Favorite ships: Mogami, Myoko, Clemson, T8 Fubuki (sadly, the T6 Fubuki doesn't feel quite as good), Mikasa, Gneisenau, Fletcher

My topics: Aduial's commander build recommendations (post 0.6.0)               Remove Detonations from Ranked battles              Mogami deserves a buff           Rebalancing Aircraft Loadouts          Repair Party for Tier 8 Cruisers?           Strafing:           Suggestion about carrier MM          

ValkyrWarframe #8 Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:43 AM

Commander

• Members

View PostAduial, on 10 January 2017 - 08:39 PM, said:

Posted Image

So the Moskva can pretty much citadel anything other than a Yamato or Montana starting at 10km. 

Not exactly, its not that simple.

You see, most ships don't have a completely perpendicular belt, otherwise things would all be happy and stuff.  Most ships have an inward armored belt, which flares downwards towards the hull.  The shell has to "normalize", or angle to penetrate perpendicularly to the armor, but it loses kinetic energy.  These values are for perfect penetrations, assuming no normalization happens.

JJDOU3D #9 Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:22 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Good guide! Thanks!

Battle_Cat_Cringer #10 Posted 14 January 2017 - 05:53 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

Love my Moskva so far. Only issue is that I lose credits on "satisfactory" games, and I may just stop playing altogether because of it.

JochenHeiden #11 Posted 14 January 2017 - 06:03 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostBattle_Cat_Cringer, on 14 January 2017 - 05:53 PM, said:

Love my Moskva so far. Only issue is that I lose credits on "satisfactory" games, and I may just stop playing altogether because of it.

To mitigate this, play a few rounds in any Tier 7 or lower ship and make up the difference there.  If you have a premium ship, equip the signal that gives you 20% extra credits, and you'll make enough profit there to have 3 or 4 bad rounds in Moskva.

Nassau   |   König   |   Königsberg  |  Graf Spee  |  Bayern  |  Gneisenau   |   Scharnhorst   |    Prinz Eugen   |   Tirpitz  |  Bismarck   |   Roon   |   Friedrich der Große  |  Hindenburg

|KRG| Kriegsmaschine - Prushn & JochenHeiden, division partners for life!

Please visit my Youtube page for exciting WOWS Battle Replays:   https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCouxqbVLTQRue1omZ-INlag

ValkyrWarframe #12 Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:59 PM

Commander

• Members

View PostJochenHeiden, on 14 January 2017 - 01:03 PM, said:

To mitigate this, play a few rounds in any Tier 7 or lower ship and make up the difference there.  If you have a premium ship, equip the signal that gives you 20% extra credits, and you'll make enough profit there to have 3 or 4 bad rounds in Moskva.

Alternatively, use the permanent camouflage.

ValkyrWarframe #13 Posted 25 January 2017 - 04:52 PM

Commander

• Members

Updated for 0.6.0 commander skills.

Wyatt_DERP85 #14 Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:37 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Great guide. I don't have the Moskva yet but I sure do enjoy shooting at them! They're deadly in the right hands. 

khaenn35 #15 Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:44 AM

Admiral of the Navy

• Members

View PostValkyrWarframe, on 13 January 2017 - 10:43 AM, said:

Not exactly, its not that simple.

You see, most ships don't have a completely perpendicular belt, otherwise things would all be happy and stuff.  Most ships have an inward armored belt, which flares downwards towards the hull.  The shell has to "normalize", or angle to penetrate perpendicularly to the armor, but it loses kinetic energy.  These values are for perfect penetrations, assuming no normalization happens.

But it has a better chance of doing so, considering the fact that other ships don't have as much pen as the Moskva.

Official Forum Elite Admiral  o7 

Good luck, Captains! May the winds blow in your favour, and may your shells fly straight and true!

If you see me in a game, cover your eyes and ears cos I'm gonna suck. In fact, run like hell and hope we lose honorably. And burn your eyes after seeing my stats. 

#DetonateJingles

ValkyrWarframe #16 Posted 09 February 2017 - 05:03 AM

Commander

• Members

View Postkhaenn35, on 27 January 2017 - 01:44 AM, said:

But it has a better chance of doing so, considering the fact that other ships don't have as much pen as the Moskva.

That's what you may think, but remember Moskva does not have any special penetration angles, unlike the U.S. or the British cruisers.  Despite the fact Des Moines has much less penetration than Moskva, she is much better at penetrating because of the special overmatch angles.  You can be angled to a Moskva and bounce, but that same angle against a Des Moines will usually penetrate anyway.

BearlyHereBear #17 Posted 10 February 2017 - 01:18 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostAduial, on 10 January 2017 - 07:39 PM, said:

Posted Image

I've citadeled Yamis at max range, but not often.

Grem, Kami, Ok, Sim, Fubu, An, Blys, Lenin, Lo, Shima, Khab, Gear, D-52: Emd, Kat, Murm, Furu, Molo, GS, Atlanta, Indi, Belf, ARPs, MK, PE, Atago, Hindi, Zao, Mino, Moskva: Mikasa (crap), KA, Ishi,  Nic, Texas, ARPs, Zona, Scharn, Tirpitz, Montana: Hiryu, Siapan, Haku

Intel® Core™ Processor i7-6700K

GIGABYTE GA-Z170X GAMING 3

ADATA XPG Z1 (8GBx2) DDR4/2800MHz

AMD Radeon R9 380 4GB GDDR5

ValkyrWarframe #18 Posted 10 February 2017 - 02:02 PM

Commander

• Members

View PostBearlyHereBear, on 10 February 2017 - 08:18 AM, said:

I've citadeled Yamis at max range, but not often.

Yamato's armor has been properly modeled since the armor model viewer was introduced.  Before then, it was a giant box like Iowa or Montana.

NolaMike #19 Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:42 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Thanks. most of the way to a Moskva.

Lightning_Lad64 #20 Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:58 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

Interesting write up. I'm halfway through the Donskoi grind. I don't see too many Moskva's in game, whereas I see lots of Des Moines, Minotaur's, and Hindy's and a sprinkling of Zao's. There must be a reason...

Port Lightning Lad: Currently Sailing

BB:  Arkansas Beta, ARP Haruna, ARP Hiei, ARP Kongo,ARP Kirishima, New York, Bayern, New Mexico, Colorado, Gneisenau, Scharnhorst, Bismarck, Tirpitz

CA/CL:  Emden, St. Louis, Phoenix, Konigsberg, Murmansk, Budyonny, Cleveland, Leander, Nurnberg, ARP Ashigara, ARP Nachi, Atlanta, Belfast, FijiARP TakaoAtago, Chapayev, Edinburgh, Mogami, Prinz Eugen, Dmitri Donskoi, Roon, Hindenburg, Moskva

Also tagged with moskva, ship guide, stalinium

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users