WoWs Offline Mode, Review

Parody LWM Offline Mode

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

RedSeaBear #1 Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:07 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

POPULAR

Thanks to a surprise Christmas Present I have the opportunity to review WoWs; Offline Mode. An interesting take on the game we all love to play. 

So with the format of the best ship reviewer on the forum, lets get to it shall we.

Quick Summary

A simple game for blowing up ships. Doesn't require an Internet connection or even a computer to play. 

Cost

Game cost about $13.40 US at time of writting. 

Patch & Date Written

I think this is patch 0.0.01, December 26, 2016

Not even sure this game has ever needed a patch. 

Closet In Game Contemporary

A pad of paper maybe?

Degree of Similarity

World of Warships has come a long way since this first iteration. This version is more tactile and seems like a very stable build. Although it does lack some of the polish and features found in the current WoWs Build.

Pros;

• Play warships off line and without power even.
  • Easier to deal with hacks.
  • Simple rules and easier game mechanics to understand.  
  • Can be played with friends and family. 
  • Control a fleet not just one ship.
  • This version has SUBS.
  • 1v1 match making.
  • No micro transactions. 

Cons; 

• Not feature rich. 
  • Cheating can be a problem.
  • No path for expansions.
  • Limited ship lines.
  • Limited multiplayer.
  • One time buy in cost, unless you can raid a relatives game closet.
  • Getting lucky with Blind fire is a must.
  • Limited maps.
  • This version has SUBS.

This is warships in its most simple form. And only supports Two Players. You are limited to 5 ships but you get to control those ships in a fleet action which is interesting.

Game Mode is a standard battle so you need to sink all the ships on the other team to win. 

The Battle field is very static once that game begins. 

Games seem to be quick, depending on how fast the players can call their shots and mark them. But there is no time limit, this isn't taking into account any fights that might happen over ship placement. 

Speaking of ships you get one ship of each of the five classes and if they are all sunk its game over. 

First ship in your fleet is the patrol boat, looks like a destroyer to me. Easily hid but has the smallest health pool of all the ships.

Patrol Boat

Next we have the cruiser, not as stealth as the previous ship but it does have more HP.

Cruiser

The wait is over this version of WoWs has submarines but they aren't as stealth as people would like.

Submarine 

Here we see the only Battleship you will be playing with. Decent amount of hit points, harder to hide but can take some punishment. 

Battleship

Finally the Aircraft Carrier. She has the most hit points because good luck hiding this girl. 

Spoiler

One down side to this game is the map variety. Its limited to just one map, some imagination is helpful.

The Bert Box

Hi, I'm an imaginary friend of the Sinksalot Fleet and I want to think RSB for giving me a chance to talk about a troubling problem with this version of WoWs. That is the ways a player can cheat at this game. Now I'm not suggesting you employ any of these underhanded tactics. But I hope by sharing them you will be better able to spot them when they are played against you. 
Knowledge is power. 

First we have the Ghost Fleet tactic. Your adversary is playing the game but their ships never left port.

Spoiler

Next is the Stacked Deck tactic, its a risky strategy but it can still give the other player a headache.

Spoiler

Finally we have the Boarder Hugger, The ships are on the board but just barely. 

Spoiler

There is one more cheat that can be played against your fleet and that is the dreaded Aim Hax.
Your rival has gained inside knowledge on your fleet, either they peaked while you weren't looking or there is a spy feeding them information, coast watcher style. 
Your Fleet is doomed its just a matter of time. 

Spoiler

Now that you've learned all the ways you can be cheated, I hope you will be armed to deal with them if sibling/cousin or former best friend try them on you.  

Consumables

You will need a lot of these for effective game play.

Fire Power:

You have Red Pins for Hits and White Pens for Misses. [See above picture]

Maneuverability: 

This game can be played anywhere. 

Durability 

Game is made of plastic so be careful with it and it should last several years. 

Concealment & Camouflage:

Neither side will see their rival fleet, its like a Ranked match with 8 Benson popped their smoke at the same time. I would recommend you don't play around mirrors and guard you fleets location.

Anti-Aircraft Defense:

You have a CV but there is no danger of Air attacks, I think we play with cruiser missiles or ICBMs.

Overall Impressions.

Skill Floor; Simple

Skill Ceiling; Low

Bears Summary;

Sometimes simple classics are just what you need to take a break from the camping meta found in the higher tiers. And I like how easy this game is to set up and play. That simplicity helps introducing new players to the game. Beware of some of the underhanded tactics some players could be tempted to employ. But all in all its a fun game.

Would I recommend:

Yes if you like classic game play this one is fun to have and who doesn't like to hear 'You Sank my Battleship' never gets old. 

Random Battle Grinding:

There is NO path for grinding up tech trees. This can be a plus and a negative in some peoples books 

Competitive Gaming:

Is there a competitive table top gaming scene? I mean my family can get very competitive with board games, don't ask about the Great Monopoly scandal of 2008.

Collectors:

Its a gaming classic so I expect collectors will already have it. But if you are new to the table top gaming scene why haven't you bought it already?

Recommended Consumables:

I find cold drinks and salty snacks are best consumed while playing any tabletop game.

Recommended Captain Skills:

Blind luck? You either get RNG lucky and hit ships blind firing or you develop a careful hunt and destroy method of locating the enemy ships.

I hope this review of a timeless classic WoWs battle mode helps in you choice for how to sink ships.

The Sinksalot Fleet salutes those who sail here.  

Edited by RedSeaBear, 27 December 2016 - 07:16 AM.

~Admiral of the Sinksalot Fleet~

ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Make Super Containers Great Again

BelgaraththeSorcerer #2 Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:09 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

lol

Wulfgarn #3 Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:12 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

:teethhappy:

Highest. CV USN Independence BB USN Colorado CA USN New Orleans GER Yorck  RN Leander DD USN Gearing IJN Shimakaze VMF Khab

Premium. Kamikaze R. Blyskawica. Leningrad. Belfast. Graf Spee, Konig Albert. Ishizuchi. Marblehead. Texas. Arizona. Sims. Atlanta. Indianapolis. Kutuzov. Tirpitz. Gremyashchy. Murmansk. Molotov. Prinz Eugen. Scharnhorst. Warspite. Anshan. Lo Yang
Intel I5-3570K @ 3.4GHz . GTX 750 Ti (Max settings). 16 GB Ram . Win 7 Pro 64-bit . SSD 120GB (OS only) . SSD 250GB (Gaming) . Mechanical 2TB (Storage)

taut #4 Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:13 AM

Admiral of the Navy

• Members

[edited]!

This is genius, even better than my Bacon Boat ADLA.

All teh Recs Red!

SovereignEagle #5 Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:14 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Graphics could use a bit of work but looks quite fun regardless :P

renegadestatuz #6 Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:14 AM

Captain

• Members

:D I just fell out of my chair laughing lol.

​Those who rebel, must be cleansed of their ways.

Thraxian #7 Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:17 AM

• Members

+1 for the lol

Legendary_Typo #8 Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:19 AM

Fleet Admiral

• Members

So, would World of Warships: Offline Mode: The Reboot be Battlestations Midway, and World of Warships: Offline Mode: The Reboot: The Sequel be Battlestations Pacific?

Eric_Von_Hess, Thank You.

Atago, Scharnhorst, Graf SpeeMarbleheadMurmansk, Katori, Emden, Mikasa, SmithTachibana.

ARP Takao, ARP AshigaraARP HaguroARP MyokoARP NachiARP HarunaARP HieiARP Kirishima, ARP KongoSouthern Dragon.

Zao, Admiral Hipper, Chapayev, Edinburgh, New Orleans, Gnevny, Kongo, Konig, Minekaze, Mutsuki, New York, Nicholas, T-22.

Volron #9 Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:19 AM

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

taut #10 Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:28 AM

Admiral of the Navy

• Members

I am going to rename my imaginary friend Bert.

Stacked Deck is OP....

Darth_Caedus_ #11 Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:31 AM

• Members

I hear their testing the water on subs in the offline version, though as of right now they act just like surface ships.

Edited by Darth_Caedus_, 27 December 2016 - 12:36 AM.

LittleWhiteMouse #12 Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:35 AM

Captain

• WoWS Community Contributors
  • Members
    Beta Testers

Was I the only one that tried to make her aircraft carriers fit diagonally?

Q♥  Most Recent Review: HMS Hood

donaldEpott #13 Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:38 AM

Captain

• Members

View PostLittleWhiteMouse, on 26 December 2016 - 05:35 PM, said:

Was I the only one that tried to make her aircraft carriers fit diagonally?

I tried that once but my best was to hang my carrier and bb of the edge of the board so they couldnt get that last hit.

Premium ships Atago, Ishizuchi, Tirpitz, Scharnhorst, Indianapolis, Texas, Arizona, Sims, Dunkerque, Atlanta, Warspite, Graf Spee, Alabama, Missouri, Campbletown, Belfast.

Standard ships   Nassau, South Carolina, Friant, Wickes, St Louis, Clemson, Duguay-Trouin​, Wyoming, New York, Omaha, Kirov, Konigsburg, Kongo, Bayern, Nurnburg, Budyonny, Fuso, New Mexico, Cleveland, Leander, Myoko, Colorado, Nagato, Mahan, Fiji, Pensacola, Akatsuki, North Carolina, Amagi,  Bismarck, New Orleans, Iowa, Baltimore, Fletcher, Des Moines, Montana, Gearing, "YAMATO"

ARP Ships Kongo, Hiei, Kirishima, Haruna, Myoko, Haguro, Nachi, Ashigara, Takeo

RedSeaBear #14 Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:41 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View PostdonaldEpott, on 26 December 2016 - 06:38 PM, said:

I tried that once but my best was to hang my carrier and bb of the edge of the board so they couldnt get that last hit.

Curd I knew I forgot one of the Cheats. 

~Admiral of the Sinksalot Fleet~

ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Make Super Containers Great Again

AnderZENZ_IowaClass #15 Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:42 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

XD

RNG needs directions to the toilet, because I am not in fact a toilet, especially not his.

Grizley #16 Posted 27 December 2016 - 01:03 AM

Captain

• Beta Testers

+1 to you sir.

Shadilay!

Mexicanarmada15 #17 Posted 27 December 2016 - 01:09 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Ah yes WOWS before detonation got patched in...... :D
Spoiler

taut #18 Posted 27 December 2016 - 01:11 AM

Admiral of the Navy

• Members

View PostMexicanarmada15, on 26 December 2016 - 09:09 PM, said:

Ah yes WOWS before detonation got patched in...... :D

detonation is when you pick up the board and toss it across the room:trollface:

jlo411 #19 Posted 27 December 2016 - 01:16 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

+1

O6OsSHM.gif

Garbage stats plz don't look

Doomlock #20 Posted 27 December 2016 - 01:19 AM

Lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

View Postslak__, on 26 December 2016 - 08:11 PM, said:

detonation is when you pick up the board and toss it across the room:trollface:

Ah yes the infamous 'Table flip' technique.

Fair winds and following seas! -Doomlock

Hit hard, hit fast, hit often! -Fleet Admiral William "Bull" Halsey.

Current ships: IJN: MikasaTachibanaIshizuchi, Yūbari, Kamikaze R, AobaAkatsuki, Shiratsuyu, Amagi, Atago, ZaōUSN: Albany, Texas, New York, Arizona, Farragut, Pensacola, Indianapolis, Atlanta, Sims, Alabama. VMF:  Aurora, Gremyashchy, Budyonny, Molotov, Mikhail Kutuzov, Udaloi.  RN: Leander, Belfast. KM: Emden, Admiral Graf Spee, Nürnberg, Ernst Gaede, Scharnhorst, Bismarck, Prinz Eugen. MN: Friant, Émile Bertin. Fleet of Fog: Kongō, Hiei, Haruna, Kirishima, Myōkō, Haguro, Nachi, Ashigara, Takao. MW: Błyskawica.  CW: Perth. 

My Complete list of Warship Pics and AHLA's

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users