Iowa

Iowa BB T9

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

USN_BB_Iowa #1 Posted 25 December 2016 - 07:21 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Wow! this is what a Battleship SHOULD feel like playing. finally got Iowa after a month of grinding almost nonstop. im really satisfied with how Merica/10 this ship is.

1. Massive American Guns

2. looks great

3. is fast for a BB

4. great secondaries

5. a Mustang as it's fighter???? YES

6. Kancolle Iowa Skin Mod>>>>??? oh yeah.

why does this play like NC but feel much more solid? it drives well, and that increased shell velocity is nice! i feel like i can finally predict the arc. im very pleased with this ship!

8/10

"Ours is not to ask why, Ours is but to do and die."

"Our Liberties we Prize, Our Rights we will Maintain."

SergeantHop #2 Posted 25 December 2016 - 07:26 AM

Captain

• Members

Not sure why you would consider the Iowa a more solid ship, considering her citadel sits above the waterline, while the NC's does not. I mean, the Iowa is a peach, but I wouldn't consider her the most stout ship in the game. 

Regardless, I'm looking forward to getting one again when I finally grab the Missouri. It'll be a good day.

#1 in the world for max base XP in Tirpitz

Check out my premium camo thread here!

Wo_9 #3 Posted 25 December 2016 - 08:05 AM

Captain

• Supertester
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

I am glad you are enlightened to the ways of Iowa.  once you go Iowa it feels like a perfect upgrade from NC. 

NC is a good in her own way,  but Iowa is better except in turning radius.   

Missouri, Get!

TY Rolkasa for the Sig     

the_majestic_eagle #4 Posted 25 December 2016 - 08:13 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Only recently started playing my Iowa, and after a few rather unfortunate battles of me trying to get the hang of her, I started to really like her, she is a very solid ship if you angle her armor correctly 

USN_BB_Iowa #5 Posted 25 December 2016 - 08:23 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostSergeantHop, on 25 December 2016 - 02:26 AM, said:

considering her citadel sits above the waterline, while the NC's does not.

did not feel that way while i was touring Citadel City; Population: My Ship.

like i said i enjoy sailing this ship vs. that one.

Edited by SourNote666, 25 December 2016 - 08:24 AM.

Rolkatsuki #6 Posted 25 December 2016 - 08:50 AM

Admiral of the Navy

• Members

View PostSourNote666, on 25 December 2016 - 05:21 PM, said:

umm actually its and seaplane Variant of the Curtiss XP-40Q /;^_\\

Edited by Rolkatsuki, 25 December 2016 - 08:52 AM.

The Great South Land's most truculent Dunkerque captain~

2s1vtak.png

USN_BB_Iowa #7 Posted 25 December 2016 - 09:25 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostRolkatsuki, on 25 December 2016 - 03:50 AM, said:

umm actually its and seaplane Variant of the Curtiss XP-40Q /;^_\\

Dont spoil my fun.

Xion136 #8 Posted 25 December 2016 - 10:05 AM

Seaman

• Members

View PostSourNote666, on 25 December 2016 - 07:21 AM, said:

Wow! this is what a Battleship SHOULD feel like playing. finally got Iowa after a month of grinding almost nonstop. im really satisfied with how Merica/10 this ship is.

1. Massive American Guns

2. looks great

3. is fast for a BB

4. great secondaries

6. Kancolle Iowa Skin Mod>>>>??? oh yeah.

why does this play like NC but feel much more solid? it drives well, and that increased shell velocity is nice! i feel like i can finally predict the arc. im very pleased with this ship!

8/10

"Iowa Skin Mod"

I need this for the day I get my Iowa.

USN_BB_Iowa #9 Posted 25 December 2016 - 11:18 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostXion136, on 25 December 2016 - 05:05 AM, said:

"Iowa Skin Mod"

I need this for the day I get my Iowa.

USN_BB_Iowa #10 Posted 25 December 2016 - 11:19 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

i got it from the Asia Server Mods. not sure where; Credit to the original Artist! i will send him some $$$ if i find out who did it, as it's now my Favorite Ship. also..... LEWD XD

Edited by SourNote666, 26 December 2016 - 01:19 PM.

mous1 #11 Posted 26 December 2016 - 10:13 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Iowa is a great ship but I like nc better due to less repair cost, better turn speed, lower cit and running a secondary spec still gets nc aa to 94 and a 7.4 km secondary range. The Iowa's cit was under waterline in real life  but wargaming screwed her over but making cit above waterline  like that. But honestly im not a fan of anybody stating one ship unless nobody likes it (example Pensacola) but north car is such a dull topic because its a pretty fun ship for most people. Everybody has their preferences

Edited by mous1, 26 December 2016 - 10:15 PM.

USN_BB_Iowa #12 Posted 27 December 2016 - 02:01 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Iowa has the WORST CITADEL. it is entirely possible to get one shot by ships in your same tier F DER GROBE or Izumo while not having the same ability, which is extremely unfair. i dont understand why WG would make that citadel so large on a ship that is already just a carbon copy of NC with slightly better HP. but it is what it is, its still my favorite ship (in real life) so ill stick with it. if theres ever any input for WG or they ever ask Iowa's citadel is definitely one thing i would suggest change; that or put everyone else's citadels (BB's @ T9)at our level and see how they like it? especially because they brag in their stupid plug about the Mighty Mo (Which is a SISTER ship of THE SAME CLASS as Iowa that has a better citadel, for no reason.) i think thats what upsets me is that they do things like that. there is no reason to make such a handicap against her. especially when they have no problems putting the german ships on steroids.

Edited by SourNote666, 27 December 2016 - 02:05 PM.

Lynolius #13 Posted 27 December 2016 - 03:04 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostSourNote666, on 27 December 2016 - 09:01 AM, said:

Iowa has the WORST CITADEL. it is entirely possible to get one shot by ships in your same tier F DER GROBE or Izumo while not having the same ability, which is extremely unfair. i dont understand why WG would make that citadel so large on a ship that is already just a carbon copy of NC with slightly better HP. but it is what it is, its still my favorite ship (in real life) so ill stick with it. if theres ever any input for WG or they ever ask Iowa's citadel is definitely one thing i would suggest change; that or put everyone else's citadels (BB's @ T9)at our level and see how they like it? especially because they brag in their stupid plug about the Mighty Mo (Which is a SISTER ship of THE SAME CLASS as Iowa that has a better citadel, for no reason.) i think thats what upsets me is that they do things like that. there is no reason to make such a handicap against her. especially when they have no problems putting the german ships on steroids.

Agreed. It really is a shame they can't see how disadvantaged the unfair and unrealistically high citadel is. The real life ships were better protected through more clever and less conventional means, and those unorthodox methods of protection have been largely ignored in game.

My advice would be to either lower the citidel, or adjust the angle of the belt armor so that it is more canted relative to incoming shells from the side. Also, just a note, but the real life Missouri did actually get slightly better frontal protection, though it's not enough to really make a huge difference in game. Other than that it's the same as Iowa. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I just got my Iowa not too long ago and I absolutely love the ship. Sometimes I leave the game up while doing other things just to have the Iowa in port to look at.

Fletcher7_1944 #14 Posted 27 December 2016 - 03:04 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

I haven't got to Iowa itself yet, But I do have NC and MO.  I've found out about that citadel thing the hard way, and feel as you do, Sournote.   To be honest, if Iowa's cit is worse than MO's, I don't want it.

What bloody good is a BATTLESHIP that has to sit well outside of combat, bow on, or get erased???   not much, I'm afraid.    Get flanked?  You're dead.   Try to reposition and someone is looking at you?  You're dead.  Try to brawl?  You're dead.   Don't even think about getting within 10 km of ANY ship with torps, because you can't dodge them with that turning radius.  If I wanted that sort of playstyle, I'd play a cruiser, and have a somewhat better chance vs torpedoes, plus a better rof.

I don't buy the whole "balance" rationale.   None of it's contemporaries suffers any such fatal flaw- and they are even better than these.   That's why the USS Xp Pinata, and the USS Vulnerable sit in port and rust...

Lynolius #15 Posted 27 December 2016 - 03:06 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostFletcher7_1944, on 27 December 2016 - 10:04 AM, said:

To be honest, if Iowa's cit is worse than MO's, I don't want it.

It's pretty much the same story, slightly less frontal bulkhead armor. Not really a serious difference. At any rate US Fast Battleships cannot possibly be doing so well that these sabotaged citadels are necessary.

Edited by Lynolius, 27 December 2016 - 03:09 PM.

USN_BB_Iowa #16 Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:50 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostLynolius, on 27 December 2016 - 10:04 AM, said:

Sometimes I leave the game up while doing other things just to have the Iowa in port to look at.

same!

View PostLynolius, on 27 December 2016 - 10:06 AM, said:

slightly less frontal bulkhead armor.

wont matter when Yammy decides  to Cit you from bow on lol. it happens.

View PostFletcher7_1944, on 27 December 2016 - 10:04 AM, said:

But I do have NC and MO.  I've found out about that citadel thing the hard way, and feel as you do, Sournote.   To be honest, if Iowa's cit is worse than MO's, I don't want it.

it's not a bad ship, just badly balanced vs META ships.

it will do well, and i tend to do well in it despite the MASSIVE weakspot it has, i feel like it's just underperforming compared to the other nation's BB's, but i play for the fun, not the meta, so i will stick with Iowa, BECAUSE 'MERICA!

"one of the Most powerful Battleships of ww2"                 DOESNT FEEL LIKE IT WG.

"fundamentally different armor"                                       by placing it at a point where it can be easily hit, yeah, Really different.

Edited by SourNote666, 27 December 2016 - 05:53 PM.

USN_BB_Iowa #17 Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:55 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

it's a threat to any non-BB ship, and i tend to citadel Nippon cruisers all day. it preys on DD's with deadly Secondaries out to 9.1km. but it just cant against other t9 BB's. Hell even Torpitz and Biz can take down an iowa with little probs. i jus tdot feel that it's well balanced.

KnightFandragon #18 Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:59 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

Now if only WG would give the USN ships rudder shift times that didnt feel like your driving Manhattan, and put their citadels back below the waterline...

USN_BB_Iowa #19 Posted 28 December 2016 - 09:36 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostKnightFandragon, on 27 December 2016 - 12:59 PM, said:

rudder shift times that didnt feel like your driving Manhattan, and put their citadels back below the waterline...

+1

but i can deal with a slow turn, im a battleship, i can drive it fine, but i dont feel like a battleship when a t7-t8 ship can easily citadel me for 3/4 of my health in one salvo.

Aduial #20 Posted 28 December 2016 - 11:34 AM

Rear Admiral

• Members

View PostSourNote666, on 27 December 2016 - 06:01 AM, said:

I think it's entirely possible for all non-German BBs to one-shot by other equal tier battleships. Heck, even a Yamato can be deleted from full health by other battleships. 

My terrible stats:

My Favorite ships: Mogami,  Clemson, T8 Fubuki, Mikasa, Gneisenau, Fletcher

Aduial's commander build recommendations (post 0.6.0)               Remove Detonations from Ranked battles                 Rebalancing Aircraft Loadouts          Repair Party for Tier 8 Cruisers?           Strafing:           Suggestion about carrier MM          

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users