German HE Penetration

german he penetration high explosive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Kombat_W0MBAT #1 Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:17 PM

Commander

• Members

Standard HE penetration is 1/6th the shell caliber. According to the wiki, German HE penetration is 1/4th the shell caliber. 

Previously, I thought the improved HE penetration only applied to German battleships, however, the wiki doesn't discriminate. This seems to indicate that German cruisers (and possibly destroyers?) benefit from the better penetration. 

Spoiler

Does anyone know conclusively if this is true or if this is simply an oversight on the wiki?

Cheers

SeaRaptor00 #2 Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:18 PM

Lieutenant

• WoWS Wiki Editor
  • Members

It's a good question.  Let me check the 0.5.6 patch notes.

Latest World of Warships Wiki Updates -- My Talk page -- My YouTube channel

"...interacting with CVs is just like getting cancer, not a thing you can do about it, you just have to hope you survive the experience."  --Taichunger

Acolyte of the Church of Hindenburg and Official Scrub of Task Force Apocalypse (Salt Queens)

saagri #3 Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:19 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

I am very curious about the 100mm secondary guns. Regular 100mm HE does squat to anything but the weakest of super structures but 1/4 pen would mean all DD's are vulnerable. 

saagri 

• Plays a mix of aircraft carriers (very good), cruisers (excellent), battleships (excellent) and destroyers (excellent)
  • Deals a large amount of damage
  • Key vehicle - North Carolina

SeaRaptor00 #4 Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:21 PM

Lieutenant

• WoWS Wiki Editor
  • Members

Hmm, inconclusive.  I remember that 0.5.6 was the big buff to German HE rounds at Tier VIII+ that took them from "meh" to "I can live with this".  Let me see who made that edit to the page; that will give us more idea of credibility.

"...interacting with CVs is just like getting cancer, not a thing you can do about it, you just have to hope you survive the experience."  --Taichunger

Acolyte of the Church of Hindenburg and Official Scrub of Task Force Apocalypse (Salt Queens)

SeaRaptor00 #5 Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:23 PM

Lieutenant

• WoWS Wiki Editor
  • Members

The edit was made in late September by someone on the RU server.

The note in question isn't in the US patch notes; maybe it's in the RU ones.  I'll check over there.

Kombat_W0MBAT #6 Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:32 PM

Commander

• Members

View PostSeaRaptor00, on 13 December 2016 - 12:23 PM, said:

The edit was made in late September by someone on the RU server.

The note in question isn't in the US patch notes; maybe it's in the RU ones.  I'll check over there.

SeaRaptor00, thanks in advance for looking this up. :honoring:

Izolyn #7 Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:42 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

If you can't find anything in patch notes, you could try testing HE against armor plates that 1/4th would pen but 1/6th wouldn't in training room.

Dresden / Kolberg penetration: 26.25 (1/4), 17.5 (1/6)

Karlsruhe, Konigsberg, Nurnberg penetration: 37.5 (1/4), 25 (1/6)
Yorck penetration: 52.5 (1/4), 35 (1/6)
Hipper, Roon, Hindenburg penetration: 50.75 (1/4), 33.83 (1/6)

Could test Yorck against something like Kirov's belt armor (50mm), or Karlsruhe/Konigsberg/Nurnberg against something like Iowa's bow (32mm).

SeaRaptor00 #8 Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:45 PM

Lieutenant

• WoWS Wiki Editor
  • Members

The RU patch notes imply changes were made, but they aren't conclusive either.

I hopped over to GameModels3D, and may have an answer for you.

When you browse over there, each HE shell in the game has a value listed under "Alpha piercing HE".  For Nurnberg's shells, for example, this is listed as "25".  

I wanted comparison numbers, so I checked on Cleveland.  It also lists "25".  Aoba lists "34"; so does Hipper.  Yorck's is "35", Donskoi's is "30", and Moskva's is "37".

When you divide each of those numbers by the respective gun calibers, you get 1/6.  I think the note in the wiki is incorrect, but we should put it in one of the dev Q&A's to be certain.

mofton #9 Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:11 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

While you're looking at the wiki, could you adjust the Admiral Graf Spee entry which states 'The German Navy officially classified her as a battleship'.

I believe they classified her as a 'Panzerschiff' or armored ship and later as a Heavy Cruiser, while battleships were termed 'Schlachtschiff'.

light.png

Iowanna be a rockstar - Salmon - Ctrl-Click-Schiffe - Le Dunkerque  - Grand Old Lady - ~5 Mil in IJN Scrap

Gearings of Poor - Trashcan - Biscuit-tweaker - Tachi-Ali-Baba - Not-quite-Minekaze - Zit-23 - Shinbone - Your-a-gnome

Worst T9 Ever - AbSchorring - Minotaur

SeaRaptor00 #10 Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:25 PM

Lieutenant

• WoWS Wiki Editor
  • Members

View Postmofton, on 13 December 2016 - 01:11 PM, said:

While you're looking at the wiki, could you adjust the Admiral Graf Spee entry which states 'The German Navy officially classified her as a battleship'.

I believe they classified her as a 'Panzerschiff' or armored ship and later as a Heavy Cruiser, while battleships were termed 'Schlachtschiff'.

Fun fact: MOST of the little ship intro paragraphs you see are generated out of the database that contains all of the other relevant ship data; it is identical to the text you see when you mouse over the ship in your game client.  I say MOST because we have the option to customize them; that's why some of them have links to other ships, improved wording, or links to relevant museum ships.  

We could change Graf Spee's wiki page, sure.  But the in-game tooltip will still say "battleship".

Also tagged with german, he, penetration, high explosive

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users