Kills, and losing them

kills kill thief most damage credit for kill

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Skarp_AGW #21 Posted 15 December 2016 - 03:15 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostDeltavee, on 11 December 2016 - 08:55 PM, said:

I am not complaining about someone taking a kill from me, I'm just trying to say that he who does the work should get the credit.

You are not quite getting it.

The ribbon is awarded to the person that "kills" the ship. That is the person that puts that last round or torp into it and removes the last remaining HP. The "credit" already goes to them. They took it out of the match, and they get the ribbon.

XP is awarded to the other players that contributed to pounding the HPs off of the ship before it gets "killed". The greater percentage of the damage a player did, the greater their XP share.

It ain't broke... so it doesn't need to  be fixed.

Edited by Skarp_AGW, 15 December 2016 - 03:16 AM.

dark.png

Deltavee #22 Posted 15 December 2016 - 07:12 AM

Seaman

• Members

View PostSkarp_AGW, on 15 December 2016 - 03:15 AM, said:

XP is awarded to the other players that contributed to pounding the HPs off of the ship before it gets "killed". The greater percentage of the damage a player did, the greater their XP share.

Got it now, Chief and feeling much better about the game as well.  Now I'll be watching the XP numbers and trying to get those up.  So if I hammer the bejaysus out of a BB by myself off in some obscure map corner and someone plinks it from 12km away at the last moment, I'll rest easy.

But I'll still look at the kill count because, well, kill count.

Thanks for the helpful reply.

Edited by Deltavee, 15 December 2016 - 07:19 AM.

Live on the edge of the herd.  If you're in the herd, the view never changes.  Neither does the smell.

If you live on the edge, always leave your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

Destroyer_Hatsushimo #23 Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:17 AM

Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

I most definitely understand frustrations. Even with the number of battles I have under my belt, I still jokingly mock-rage when I see someone snag a target I softened up while my next salvo or torpedoes are already en route. In my experience though, my priorities have no particular order. Special events, damage, kills, caps, exp, and wins. - I'll fight for them all, because they're all interrelated. Do the thing that contributes towards a win. If I want to focus on something based on an event or campaign mission, pick the right ship to do the job effectively. If you need another match to elite a ship, or level a captain, or finish an event, or snag first win of the day, then play another match.

When in doubt, I didn't ______ because I didn't play well enough. I didn't last hit that ship, take that cap, win that knife-fight or brawl, dodge those torpedoes, etc. because...? I didn't understand where the target's citadels were or lead the target well enough. I didn't properly predict the opponent's maneuver and select shell type or perform evasive maneuvers early enough. I didn't simultaneously micromanage both torpedoes and guns efficiently enough. I didn't react fast enough to fire or pre-aim my guns. I could have maneuvered my ship to get in the cap a little earlier, or stay hidden longer. With that mindset, I always look for something to improve. Even if I played excellently and won, got the most ship and plane kills, landed top of the exp charts, and took the most caps, odds are, there's something in the match I could have done at least a little bit better.

I am the First Frost, the Initial D-stroyer. I serve Battleship_Tosa.

Hatsushimo here, torpedoes at the ready!

[NMKJT] Personnel Officer

Signature banner by me, Destroyer_Hatsushimo

desmo_2 #24 Posted 15 December 2016 - 03:13 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

I am guilty of raging in this game.  Not very often, and not in an insulting, offensive way, but I do rage.  It is never about kills, though.  I want to WIN.  I am very competitive like that.  When someone pulls a complete bonehead that seriously hurts the team (such as leaving a cap seconds before capturing it, or a destroyer chasing an enemy carrier halfway across the map when he should have gotten a nearby, easy cap, etc.), I tend to get angry.  I know it isn't rational.  Sometimes I check myself, but other times my fingers hammer away at the keyboard before I can think better of it.  I'll frequently critique another player's strategy early in the game (why is that cruiser going off completely by himself???)...but I have been improving on keeping my comments to myself, or at least mildly suggestive.  It is their game to play, not mine to play for them, after all.

A kill goes toward my ultimate goal of victory.  I might be momentarily and mildly annoyed if someone yanks the kill out from under me that I have been working a couple of minutes for, but that's about it.  It isn't like they shot torpedoes into my back and then said, "why did you get in the way?".

JohnPaul_Jones #25 Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:48 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

It is a multi-player team game. There is no kill stealing. Not on WoWs, not on WoT. If it bugs you that others are trying to kill the same target, might want to try a single player game. Anything else is just silly and after years of playing such games, it gets annoying to hear.

"I have not yet begun to fight!"

John Paul Jones

23 September, 1779

Capt_Karg #26 Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:09 AM

Seaman

• Members

Well, obviously it DOES MATTER to quite a few folks who play the game ... The DEVs should do one of two things 1). give the kill to the ship that does the most damage, or 2). just do away with tracking who killed the ship.

Edited by Capt_Karg, 23 January 2017 - 12:10 AM.

CylonRed #27 Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:48 AM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

View PostCapt_Karg, on 22 January 2017 - 07:09 PM, said:

Well, obviously it DOES MATTER to quite a few folks who play the game ..

Define 'quite a few'...  I HIGHLY doubt you have a pool of all the players on the server where more than half are upset by it.  I believe what you have is a thread or 2 where only a few players are upset by it.  I would hazard to guess that maybe 1% at most are upset by it.  I would bet that if you added the question - are you upset about team kills when they directly correlate to winning the game?  I would bet the numbers still upset would be barely a blip of the 1% originally upset.

desmo_2 #28 Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:02 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View PostCapt_Karg, on 22 January 2017 - 06:09 PM, said:

Well, obviously it DOES MATTER to quite a few folks who play the game ... The DEVs should do one of two things 1). give the kill to the ship that does the most damage, or 2). just do away with tracking who killed the ship.

There will always be mechanics in this game that "quite a few folks" don't like.  Making everyone happy is impossible.  Of all the complaints aired on the forums, 'kill stealing' is pretty low on the frequency list.  It comes up more often when there are missions requiring a certain number of kills for a certain class of ships, but outside of those mission requirements it just isn't discussed very often...because it really isn't a big deal.  The kill doesn't award anything but a ribbon.  Look at the team screen at the end of a game.  Is the top player of that game listed by number of kills?  Nope, it's by XP.  Do damage.  Get caps.  Defend caps.  Most of the complaints of 'kill stealing' seem to come from lower tiers, where new players really enjoy making a red ship go 'boom'.  Once a player gets more experience, they usually (hopefully) become more interested in helping secure the win, because wins = more XP and shorter grinds.

'Kill stealing' is not a thing.

Edited by desmo_2, 23 January 2017 - 01:05 PM.

aethervox #29 Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:13 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Alpha Tester

View PostCaptain_Dorja, on 11 December 2016 - 05:04 PM, said:

It's been proposed number times, but it's basically pointless to implement anyway because the only thing that comes from getting a kill is the red kill ribbon, potentially a Kraken (if you can KS 5 times) and a massive E-peen on the person doing the KSing.

TBH - Kill stealing in this game is good. When teams aren't kill stealing, there are really only 2 possibilities.
1. Someone got a Devastating Strike, which is good.

2. Team isn't focus firing like at all. This is super bad.

Just deal damage. Don't worry about getting kill numbers. I'd rather do 100,000 damage with no kills than 50,000 with 5.

View Postckupf, on 11 December 2016 - 05:45 PM, said:

There are no kill steals, only kill secures.

Try to win and don't worry about who gets credit for the kill.

View Postnhf, on 12 December 2016 - 11:34 PM, said:

As long as an enemy ship is alive it can damage or kill me or my team.  I want enemy ships killed as quickly as possible.  Period.

Exactly.

(although, it is annoying when one is dropping an enemy all by oneself then someone else 'just happens' to get the kill credit)

PubturtleSr #30 Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:15 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

As a DD main I run into this all the time. Since my rounds are low damage and I use guns a lot in US DDs I really get the kill for ships I've burned from full to almost zero. But it really doesn't bother me anymore, what's annoying is getting pm'ed after a match by some guy demanding to know how he got 2 kills and I got none but was top of the match. It's called damage. The only thing that annoys me is when an entire team shifts targets to try and get a kill even though it's not the best target thus not doing max damage. 

Squidward_Tentpoles #31 Posted 08 May 2017 - 05:06 AM

Seaman

• Members

I've never minded KSing and vice versa, and I never heard anyone whine about it over the chat (in fact, I had a guy who thanked me once for saving his rear end because I got the last shot off, and he had approximately 15% of his health left). Had many instances where I KSed and had my kills stolen, but this is a game that emphasizes team effort.

The only difference it'll make is a ribbon, a kill count to your profile, and possibly a Kraken achievement. My objective towards each match is to ensure the team wins while minimizing casualties.

Mercury49 #32 Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:59 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

I just had a game in my Farragut, this guy died early on but got first blood before doing so. 

All match he insists on telling me it's my fault he died (he was in a Molotov) and that he's done more than me despite being dead for the whole match, based solely on his one kill. I finished that game with 80k damage but no kills. He couldn't understand that I was in a destroyer. We don't exactly have a high alpha, even though I had played cat and mouse with a 3/4 health fuso and burned him down to almost nothing when a cruiser came a finished him. Which I was thankful for because he almost killed me lol but my point is, kills are just a pretty ribbon, I would rather some one make sure a ship is dead than leave them living for one more salvo

Shadeylark #33 Posted 11 May 2017 - 04:31 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

Besides the fact that a ship with only 1 hp left can still kill, even if it by ramming cuz his guns are all knocked out or all his planes are shot down...

Every single game mode rewards points to your team for each enemy sunk (100 per Cv, 80 per bb, 60 per ca, 40 per rd, if I remember right)... and simultaneously subtracts points from your team for each friendly sunk.

The goal is to secure enemy ship kills and protect friendlies... do whatever is necessary to accomplish that, whether it be sinking a low health enemy or eating a torp and losing some of your hp to keep a friendly from eating that torp n dying.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users