Viewing a replay help please

replay view watch help

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Kizarvexis #1 Posted 05 December 2016 - 05:26 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

I have replays activated and can find them in the WOWS replay folder. But when I try to watch one, it does not work. The replays say that they are associated with WOWS, but do not work when I click to start them. I've tried dragging the replay onto the WOWS exe, but i get a server connection error when it tries to start. I have watched replays about 4 patches ago, but can not on the latest patch (0.5.15). I have replays from Dec 2nd-4th 2016 that I have tried to watch today (Dec 4th), so it is not an old replay on a new patch as all 0.5.15. Is there any 3rd party viewer available? Is there something else I should do besides close the game and try to launch the replay by clicking or dragging it?

Here is a link to a replay if you want to see if it will work for you.

http://wowreplays.co...arvexis-Hotspot

slak__ #2 Posted 05 December 2016 - 05:39 AM

Admiral of the Navy

• Members

You closed the client right?

Kizarvexis #3 Posted 05 December 2016 - 05:58 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View Postslak__, on 05 December 2016 - 12:39 AM, said:

You closed the client right?

Yep, closed the game. Dragged the file to the exe and it loads up the game. I click play and it goes to the login screen. I then click connect and this time I didn't get the error, but the game started and I'm right back in port. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Oh well, 1 am here on the east coast of the US, so I'll see any replies tomorrow. 

Dahdrael #4 Posted 05 December 2016 - 06:16 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostKizarvexis, on 05 December 2016 - 03:58 PM, said:

Yep, closed the game. Dragged the file to the exe and it loads up the game. I click play and it goes to the login screen. I then click connect and this time I didn't get the error, but the game started and I'm right back in port. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Oh well, 1 am here on the east coast of the US, so I'll see any replies tomorrow. 

you dragged them to the launcher exe instead of the WorldOfWarships.exe

you shouldnt need to click play.. the replay will auto load in

Edited by Dahdrael, 05 December 2016 - 06:18 AM.

Kizarvexis #5 Posted 05 December 2016 - 01:48 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Dahdrael, you were right. I opened the details in the file menu and what looked like the WOWS.exe was really WOWSLauncher.exe. For some reason, windows shows 'World of Warships' as the name for the file WOWSLauncher.exe. That's weird. Thank you to the both of you.

Kizarvexis #6 Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:34 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Ok, I got the viewing problem solved and found a free recorder that works well. But I understand that a new patch, means you can't view the old replays. Is there a way to make WOWS not update until you are ready? I have a few games I would like to record as I did well and they were fun. The 5.16 patch comes out tomorrow and while German DD's sound like fun, not being able to rewatch a replay would be mildly disappointing.

WG, any chance on getting a replay client that will be backwards compatible?

Edited by Kizarvexis, 20 December 2016 - 10:34 PM.

cdowis #7 Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:23 AM

Seaman

• Members

How do you activate replays?   What is a recorder and which one do you suggest.

Panbun #8 Posted 01 February 2017 - 01:37 AM

Captain

• Supertester
  • Alpha Tester

View Postcdowis, on 28 January 2017 - 11:23 AM, said:

Wishing you a warm welcome to the forums!

Please follow the steps outlined in this guide for enabling replays. Keep in mind that the replay control keys may be different from the ones listed in the guide.

A recorder in this case is just a program that records a video clip of what's happening on screen. Try Bandicam. The free version allows for screen recording of up to ten minutes, not quite long enough for a whole match in Warships, but good for capturing short clips which you can combine using video editing software.

Kizarvexis #9 Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:12 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View Postcdowis, on 27 January 2017 - 08:23 PM, said:

View PostPanbun, on 31 January 2017 - 08:37 PM, said:

Wishing you a warm welcome to the forums!

Please follow the steps outlined in this guide for enabling replays. Keep in mind that the replay control keys may be different from the ones listed in the guide.

A recorder in this case is just a program that records a video clip of what's happening on screen. Try Bandicam. The free version allows for screen recording of up to ten minutes, not quite long enough for a whole match in Warships, but good for capturing short clips which you can combine using video editing software.

I've used bandicam and it puts a bandicam logo at the top of the screen and like Panbun said, it is limited to 10 mins. I found XSplit Gamecaster which has a free and a pay version. Unless you are making money from streaming/posting videos, definitely use the free version. Also, don't stream unless you are very conversant with what you are doing. A Kerbal Space Program youtuber named Scott Manley (who had been YT'ing for years) had an unfortunate issue where when he started the stream, some of his settings including his IP address were accidently showing and someone took over his youtube channel for a day and caused him a lot of grief. Recording the replay and then posting it is a better option. I'm not sure what would be a good video editing software that is free as I haven't gone that far in recording games.

NOTE: Currently replays only work for the version you recorded. So any replays you save for 0.6.0 will not work once you update to 0.6.1 when it comes out. I believe some players keep older versions of the game for old replays, but I have no idea how that would work. Personally, if I have a great game, or something happens that I want to keep, I move the replay to a different folder on my harddrive that is named the version that it was for, ie 5.15 or 5.16 etc. I also take screenshots of the final screens with the windows snipping tool as they are NOT in the replays. WG has mentioned a rework to the replay system to make it better, but it is low priority I believe so no estimated due date on replay changes. 

https://www.xsplit.com/

how to use the snipping tool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayi5-7QPNcA

iDuckman #10 Posted 08 February 2017 - 07:34 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostKizarvexis, on 04 December 2016 - 11:58 PM, said:

I still have this problem.  Drag the file to the W...exe (not the launcher) in the File Explorer and it launches the game, not the replay.  I did get it working by associating the file type to the .exe.

Yes, I know the two methods should work identically, but for me they didn't.

Edited by iDuckman, 08 February 2017 - 07:34 PM.

Kizarvexis #11 Posted 08 February 2017 - 08:01 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostiDuckman, on 08 February 2017 - 02:34 PM, said:

I still have this problem.  Drag the file to the W...exe (not the launcher) in the File Explorer and it launches the game, not the replay.  I did get it working by associating the file type to the .exe.

Yes, I know the two methods should work identically, but for me they didn't.

I kept trying and it finally worked. I don't know why.

PigBot50 #12 Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:21 PM

Seaman

• Members

I've gotten replays to work but it seems very version dependent.  For example as of today I think I can only see replays 0.6.1.*.  0.6.0.* doesn't seem to work.  Is this correct?

Principle Ships Graf Spee & Konig

Kizarvexis #13 Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:56 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostPigBot50, on 13 February 2017 - 04:21 PM, said:

I've gotten replays to work but it seems very version dependent.  For example as of today I think I can only see replays 0.6.1.*.  0.6.0.* doesn't seem to work.  Is this correct?

Yep, replays are not currently backwards compatible. We have made the suggestion, but I think it is low priority compared to game fixes and new ships.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users